• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

My Paperwhite was one of the big things that got me through Sandy. I was reading in bed when the lights went out and barely skipped a beat in my reading. The next 2 days without power meant I read most of the time.

Ditto. I sat in my basement in complete darkness and read while the storm raged on and trees were falling everywhere.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not sure about my paperwhite. Love the size compared to my 3G keyboard (the case especially is much slimmer than the 3G leather case with light).

Its just the light. Having it on *really* low at night is fine, but turning it up just gives that spotlight effect at the bottom. I realise why, and logically I should be able to ignore it, but it just reminds me that I'm using technology. It might seem odd but with the previous kindle the simplicity of the screen meant I forgot I was using a machine.

But finally I can have a kindle of my own, with my books on, and not cluttered with all the books my son reads. And likewise he doesn't have to wade through my crap to get to his.

Kindle Lending Library has launched in the UK.

need to be a prime member, and only borrow one a month? meh

Is there any easy way to link up to UK libraries? My local one has a decent selection via overdrive - can I hook that into calibre somehow so I can read on the kindle? I almost bought a sony reader just because it has built in access to UK libraries.

not sure about my paperwhite. Love the size compared to my 3G keyboard (the case especially is much slimmer than the 3G leather case with light).

Its just the light. Having it on *really* low at night is fine, but turning it up just gives that spotlight effect at the bottom. I realise why, and logically I should be able to ignore it, but it just reminds me that I'm using technology. It might seem odd but with the previous kindle the simplicity of the screen meant I forgot I was using a machine.

My screen is really great, I got lucky it seems, but even the bad ones I've seen are far better than any book light both in light distribution and convenience. You will always need technology to light up your page, whether paper or e-ink.

My eyes find the light too bright past setting 5 in low light conditions, But I love to crank it up in a better lit environment, it looks incredible.

Lumiere

Neo Member
After seeing the waiting times go up and up on Amazon, a bit over a week ago I decided to preorder one for Christmas, as delivery estimates were around mid-december. Somehow though, today I was notified that my order is preparing for shipping and is expected to arrive on Friday...

The funny thing is that, if I knew I would have got it so soon, I would have waited a bit longer before ordering.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So do Kindles scratch/damage really easily or something? I see so many people posting pics of cases, some of which are pretty bulky. I thought some of the big perks of an e-reader over a tablet are it's durability (you can just throw it in a bag without worrying about doing any damage) and it's size/slimness/lightness? Seems like a case is counterintuitive to both of those points.

Then again, my iPhone and iPad are naked too, but I can at least understand why people have stuff for those.

Ramma2

Jailbroke and installed the custom screen saver patch to the Paperwhite today. Worked like a charm!

Last few annoyances:

"Personal" banner over all my own books
Sorting by "Recent" takes shows all books outside of collections as well as in.

jayb

So do Kindles scratch/damage really easily or something? I see so many people posting pics of cases, some of which are pretty bulky. I thought some of the big perks of an e-reader over a tablet are it's durability (you can just throw it in a bag without worrying about doing any damage) and it's size/slimness/lightness? Seems like a case is counterintuitive to both of those points.

Then again, my iPhone and iPad are naked too, but I can at least understand why people have stuff for those.

The big perk of an ereader is how easy eink is on your eyes and can be read in sunlight. But the screen is still glass and can break.

RangersFan

paperwhite was the greatest fucking thing ever, saved me during sandy. finally got power back. my god, i can't stop gushing about this thing, i am using a case so i get no bleeding light that ppl are complaining about. i love the levels of brightness adjustment. and i love the textured surface of the screen. i still wish it would have a buttons for us "legacy" kindle users, but the touch feature is much improved over the previous kindle touch, still want the button option though.

flowsnake

I was tempted to get a Paperwhite until I used two in a book store and saw the inconsistent lighting on both. I'll give them a while to either fix that problem or make a new model.

RangersFan

this friggin twilight ad! the same guy that convinced me to turn off ads a few years ago.

lol you actually spent money to get twilight off your screen? lol, i don't mind the ads at all, they don't affect the reading at all, it's just a screensaver, and i've had a few ads the past year that actually had me clicking to see the offer.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I was hesitant to upgrade from kindle keyboard too, I loved it, loved the buttons and was also worried about having to avoid the touchscreen, but honestly I love the new paper white even more.

The main reason I got it was the light which is amazing, but the best thing about it is for me a surprise - it feels so much nicer to hold and use. It's so light, slim and small, much easier to leverage than the old kindle. It's actually a lot more comfortable to use than the old kindle which I really didn't expect.

I used to hold the old kindle in really weird angles to have constant access to the buttons but now I have this I don't have that problem anymore, I never even knew it was a problem.

Anyone curious about the upgrade but nervous like I was, give it a go, I regret nothing!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I was hesitant to upgrade from kindle keyboard too, I loved it, loved the buttons and was also worried about having to avoid the touchscreen, but honestly I love the new paper white even more.

The main reason I got it was the light which is amazing, but the best thing about it is for me a surprise - it feels so much nicer to hold and use. It's so light, slim and small, much easier to leverage than the old kindle. It's actually a lot more comfortable to use than the old kindle which I really didn't expect.

I used to hold the old kindle in really weird angles to have constant access to the buttons but now I have this I don't have that problem anymore, I never even knew it was a problem.

Anyone curious about the upgrade but nervous like I was, give it a go, I regret nothing!
Yep, totally agreed. I've had a lot of accidental page-turns on the Paperwhite, which is slightly annoying, but outside of that, I don't regret the upgrade one bit. This will probably be the e-reader I hold onto until (consumer level) e-readers finally gets color.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The weird spotty lighting effect at the bottom when you have the backlight on on the paperweight is just product design right, or is it a defect I should return? I think I saw it complained about a fair bit early on so assumed it was just the way it was.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The weird spotty lighting effect at the bottom when you have the backlight on on the paperweight is just product design right, or is it a defect I should return? I think I saw it complained about a fair bit early on so assumed it was just the way it was.
I wouldn't say it's part of the product design, but yes, that's just how it is. Some units seem to be worse than others, but I don't think you're going to get a device without the uneven lighting.

Nuklear

Banned
Yep, totally agreed. I've had a lot of accidental page-turns on the Paperwhite, which is slightly annoying, but outside of that, I don't regret the upgrade one bit. This will probably be the e-reader I hold onto until (consumer level) e-readers finally gets color.

Yup, Color is the next upgrade for me too though I thought that about my old Kindle. lol

I just noticed that there are a number of books on Amazon that say "Pricing information not available" even though they had a Kindle version just recently. Stuff like Ender's Game, the Mistborn trilogy, Way of Kings, etc. Anyone know why this is?

Narag

I just noticed that there are a number of books on Amazon that say "Pricing information not available" even though they had a Kindle version just recently. Stuff like Ender's Game, the Mistborn trilogy, Way of Kings, etc. Anyone know why this is?

Oh what the hell. looks like they're all tor books too

Narag

Yea, I know! I was just going to buy The Blinding Knife since I got an Amazon gift card, but it (along with quite a few others) magically disappeared. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing.

Folk in this amazon thread apparently say customer service told them it was a site error that's being corrected. So they should be back.

Danj

Jailbroke and installed the custom screen saver patch to the Paperwhite today. Worked like a charm!

Last few annoyances:

"Personal" banner over all my own books
Sorting by "Recent" takes shows all books outside of collections as well as in.

Is this something that happens on the ad-supported version, or all of them? If the former, can you not simply create a bogus /system/.assets file to block it, like on the Touch?

Finally got to see a paperwhite in person. The light was nice, but I was more impressed by the new fonts and the clarity of the text.

For those that have one, do you end up with fingerprints all over the screen? How easy is it to clean?

I've only had mine a couple weeks, but I haven't had any fingerprints that are noticeable on my Paperwhite. Granted, I've only read one book because I've been so busy, but I don't think it will be as noticeable since the screen isn't glossy. I do wish the Paperwhite had buttons for page turning though. I miss that from my Kindle keyboard.

Nymerio

Goddamn, the wait for this is killing me. The amazon page is saying it should arrive between November 22nd and 26th. The 22nd is a thursday so with my luck it won't arrive on friday but on monday.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Pretty much just how it is. It does seem to diminish on lower light levels eg at night. I think it looks ok with the light off during the day, the slight lack of contrast can be preferable to the spotlighting.

MasLegio

Banned
damn.....
So I guess us international amazon.com customers can not expect to be able to order it before february....
had hoped to get one before christmas. that is now not a possibilty even through borderlinx.

Expected to ship December 21st

stn

Here I am back with another question: What can I use to read PDF files? I'm looking for a portable device so I can read my law cases in comfort. I don't care for anything else but being able to view PDF files.

Thanks so much!

Husker86

Finally got to see a paperwhite in person. The light was nice, but I was more impressed by the new fonts and the clarity of the text.

For those that have one, do you end up with fingerprints all over the screen? How easy is it to clean?

I've never had to wipe fingerprints off my new Paperwhite or my previous Touch.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Yeah I plan on checking that out, unfortunately I'm mostly looking to get rid of popular paperbacks which most libraries already would have.
That's okay too. I'd personally go to a used book store first, but a large amount of library donations are put into their used book store (assuming your library district has one) or taken by the library staff, so I wouldn't worry about your selection, unless you were donating outdated magazine issues which would be better recycled. I'm planning on selling a decent amount of my books through Amazon's trade-in program and then just directly using the credit towards Kindle purchases.

That's okay too. I'd personally go to a used book store first, but a large amount of library donations are put into their used book store (assuming your library district has one) or taken by the library staff, so I wouldn't worry about your selection, unless you were donating outdated magazine issues which would be better recycled. I'm planning on selling a decent amount of my books through Amazon's trade-in program and then just directly using the credit towards Kindle purchases.

Good idea, thanks! I have two libraries close by, will see if either or both wants the books.

stn

Ok, going to buy the basic Kindle to read PDFs. Am I able to organize my PDFs into folders? Basically I wanted to organize law cases into each each lecture. Is that possible on a basic Amazon Kindle?

Thank you!

Griffin

Ok, going to buy the basic Kindle to read PDFs. Am I able to organize my PDFs into folders? Basically I wanted to organize law cases into each each lecture. Is that possible on a basic Amazon Kindle?

Thank you!

I don't know about the paperwhite, but the previous generation had terrible PDF rendering.

stn

I can get a Kindle here for 70 pounds, not sure how much a tablet is? Say I wanted to view this link, except its in PDF format: http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKHL/1990/2.html

Would that turn out ok on the Kindle? I really only want it for cases so I'd be heart-broken if it couldn't do that properly. I even asked this weeks ago so you can see how long I've been contemplating this, lol.

Thanks so much! :)

EDIT: Here's an Amazon UK link to the Kindle I'm looking at: http://tinyurl.com/ajpp4z8

Top Bottom