• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime video will start showing ads in January…. Unless you pay up (more)

It happens to the cable, so

New Years Hello GIF by Britannia

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Welp, time to cancel prime. Been annoyed with prime shipping anyway. And I honestly don’t watch hardly any of the crap they stream.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I pay ÂŁ8.99 for Amazon Prime. The video service is okay. It's not the best streaming service out there and we watch it occasionally, plus I like they have the odd Premier League game on (watched Bournemouth v Fulham today).

However, the video service is just a bonus. I make the most use out of the free next day delivery service. It's a great price for TV streaming and next day delivery, and maybe not so long ago I would have accepted the increase, but not any more. I'm tired of the constant increases and because I rarely watch Prime Video, Amazon won't be getting any extra from me.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This is what every platform under the sun is doing. Instead of adding features to make a product better, they subtract features and tell you if you want the features back you must pay more to get them back.

If you factor in the yearly price increase already, plus the extra $3 per month to get ads removed from videos... basically to get the Prime Video experience you currently have right now in 2024 is going to cost you 47% more. From $119 per year to $175 per year($139 increase, plus $36 per year extra to remove ads).

Edited the post, had some price confusion, it's actually even worse than the OP

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is what every platform under the sun is doing. Instead of adding features to make a product better, they subtract features and tell you if you want the features back you must pay more to get them back.

If you factor in the yearly price increase already, plus the extra $3 per month to get ads removed from videos... basically to get the Prime Video experience you currently have right now in 2024 is going to cost you 33% more. From $139 per year to $185 per year($149 increase, plus $36 per year extra to remove ads).
Kid Fury Reaction GIF

DKehoe

I pay ÂŁ8.99 for Amazon Prime. The video service is okay. It's not the best streaming service out there and we watch it occasionally, plus I like they have the odd Premier League game on (watched Bournemouth v Fulham today).

However, the video service is just a bonus. I make the most use out of the free next day delivery service. It's a great price for TV streaming and next day delivery, and maybe not so long ago I would have accepted the increase, but not any more. I'm tired of the constant increases and because I rarely watch Prime Video, Amazon won't be getting any extra from me.
I used to use their music service that came with it too. It wasn't as good as something like Spotify but a decent option and a nice bonus to go along with the other Prime benefits. Then they changed how it works so that you can't directly choose which songs you listen to and only have a certain number of skips per day unless you upgrade. It went from being something I used daily to no longer having the app on my phone.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Walmart + is only $100 a year. And they will deliver same day to my house now. Maybe it is time to switch. I don’t watch much on prime.

Soodanim

Amazon have entered the next stage of taking the piss.

Music you're paying for is essentially the market leader's free option
Video you're paying for is essentially becoming a free option

If they carry on, you'll have to pay extra for Prime delivery soon.

The irony of the music and video is that they won't ever remove them and give people a cheaper "Just delivery" option because they know that these services are worthless compared to the competitors. Although now I've said that, with all the cutbacks it looks like the current expensive price is just the delivery and the rest comes at an additional fee.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I used to use their music service that came with it too. It wasn't as good as something like Spotify but a decent option and a nice bonus to go along with the other Prime benefits. Then they changed how it works so that you can't directly choose which songs you listen to and only have a certain number of skips per day unless you upgrade. It went from being something I used daily to no longer having the app on my phone.

Yup same. They pissed me off so bad with that. That app was quite good at first.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So what platform is next? Probably Apple TV. Apple TV is going to land some big exclusive rights to something and then they're going to increase the price substantially, and eventually after that start putting ads into it unless you pay more. It's the inevitable path for every service. The only way this ends is when subscriptions significantly drop. But that won't happen because people are a bunch of pussies who are slaves to their comforts.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Are they talking pause the content ads or ads that pop up while viewing and take up like the bottom portion of the screen?
I can almost guarantee it'll be the obtrusive ads that interrupt the content and make you watch 5-7 minutes of ads multiple times throughout a movie or episode. They're going to make the ads as irritating as possible to try to get you to cave and pay the extra money. This is what YouTube did, and this is what Hulu does.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I can almost guarantee it'll be the obtrusive ads that interrupt the content and make you watch 5-7 minutes of ads multiple times throughout a movie or episode. They're going to make the ads as irritating as possible to try to get you to cave and pay the extra money. This is what YouTube did, and this is what Hulu does.
Then Prime will die. The live footy has been good recently. But there's not much I watch on there except reruns of the office. And I'm never in that much of a rush for my stuff tbh

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Then Prime will die. The live footy has been good recently. But there's not much I watch on there except reruns of the office. And I'm never in that much of a rush for my stuff tbh
It won't die, I promise you. That's why all these companies start off with such low pricing. YouTube TV started off super cheap. Netflix started off super cheap. When you have a bill that is only a few bucks per month, that's hardly noticeable for most subscribers. And then they gradually increase it bit by bit to where $3 per month becomes $10 per month. Most people suck at managing money and they don't realize all these bills add up. The amount of people I know who subscribe to like 8 streaming services and barely watch them is nuts. It's because each one started off super cheap and they just never thought to cancel because the prices slowly went up.

People love the 2 day shipping so they'll keep Prime. And more will pay the $3 a month extra than you think. They'll go "Eh, 3 bucks is two candy bars every month, that's nothing!" And they don't realize that Amazon has them right where they want them.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Cancelled last April when my renewal was up. Best decision I've made all year.

peish

it is a fair thing no? amazon subs are cheap once you considered everything included, and how much content prime videos added since?

As a capitalist and owning amz, every businesses are increasing their asking price behind the inflation storyline, suck but unless everyone riots at the same thing, nothing we can do

Ownage

I hear you and agree with all arguments. But I buy nearly everything on Amazon these days. I tried Sam's Club and W+ and the hood rats who "delivered" those goods stole them. Have at that frozen pizza, homie. I couldn't be bothered to step my ass in CVS, Best Buy or whatever for daily use stuff. I'll pay the extra for no ads and to get my stuff safely to me ASAP.

WoJ

Streaming isn't really worth it anymore. Everything is so fragmented and as others have said features being removed and price increases. It's basically convinced me to just buy physical what I want.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Will this only be Prime content, or are they adding this shit to subscribed channels also(MAX, Masterpiece, ect..?) If so, I'm out bitches!

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
ÂŁ / $ 3 this year.

Then they’ll probably spin it off from delivery next year and make it a separate sub. Start it at 4.99 then gradually increase it year on year like the others do.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Cancelled disney due to thier greed, not renewing ps plus for same reason, going to check my Amazon sub right now, they have been the weakest streaming service but kept due to prime delivery, but I can live without.

Last edited:
Everybody is trying a different approach to monetize subs. This one is kinda unique? I recally others have a tier with ads, but this one asks to pay for now ads. I guess it is due to being bundled with Prime?

being a more costly and inconvenient version of cable.
You probably forgot how the cable TV worked...

Last edited:
Top Bottom