• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMC releases teasers for two new 2015 series: 'Humans' and 'Enter the Badlands'

Status
Not open for further replies.

potam

Banned
I'm a huuuge BB fan, I'm even drinking tea from my BB mug as I type this...but The Wire is in a completely different league than BB imo.

You can either take The Wire at face value as simple 'a cop show' (the same way so many people think that The Sopranos is simply 'a mob show'), or you can watch it as the multi-layered social commentary it was intended to be watched as. The latter is what makes it above anything else I've watched for me.

I know what it's supposed to be. I'm just saying, at the point I'm at in the show, I put BB ahead of it.

S2 of The Wire is the weakest, yes.

Like others said, BB is great pulp but The Wire is real fuckin life.

season 2 is way better than season 5

season 2 is integral to understanding the core themes of The Wire

really, the only shows that should be in the same discussion as The Wire are Deadwood, The Sopranos, and Mad Men

and yeah, FX has a much larger quantity of top-tier shows than AMC. It's like, Mad Men and Breaking Bad against The Shield, Justified, The Americans, Fargo, Terriers, Sunny, Louie, etc.

on topic: both of these shows sound cool and i'll check them both out

I know what it's supposed to be. I'm just saying, at the point I'm at in the show, I put BB ahead of it.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending. I just mean that so many people I've come across watch The Wire like every show they watch, and don't really get to appreciate it as much as they could.

But yeah, come back after season four and tell me if you still prefer BB :p

Best season of any show ever made imo.

potam

Banned
Getting killed by a little punk kid is about the uncoolest way to go.

I don't know why I clicked that.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending. I just mean that so many people I've come across watch The Wire like every show they watch, and don't really get to appreciate it as much as they could.

Will do. You should check out The Corner if you haven't already.

Will do. You should check out The Corner if you haven't already.

I have the book and the DVD. Great book/mini series.

season 2 is way better than season 5

season 2 is integral to understanding the core themes of The Wire

I love you.

So often I see people bashing season 2, and It saddens me greatly. It's by far one of the most tragic seasons, both in terms of the characters and the institution it focuses on.

Oh, and team Ziggy all the way. Such a misunderstood character.

This is how you should do it:
*The Wire Late Season 5 spoilers*

Wow, what a shitty move. Why would you spoil that when he's only on season 3? Why would you even mention that in an AMC thread? At least label what your spoiler tag is about like I did above.

L1NETT

Cristobal Tapia de Veer (Utopia) is doing the music to Humans, so that'll be brill at least.

Still need the watch the Swedish Original but think this C4 version could be alreet.

styl3s

So was
Wild Bill Hickok getting shot in the back by a drunken nobody but it doesn't change the fact he was a bad mother fucker. It wouldn't surprise me if they had him shot that way to mirror Wild Bill

Tabris

Wow I apparently really derailed this thread into BB vs The Wire with my comment.

No matter which way you lean, both quality and both gave their networks cred points.

bruh...for real? I'm only 3 seasons into The Wire, and while it's good...it ain't got shit on BB.
fist-pump.gif

This guy gets it.

arab

AMC may be working on becoming the new HBO.

Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul. That's an impressive lineup so far for them.

Mad Men and Breaking Bad are close to The Wire quality.

they'll never be HBO as long as they censor themselves

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Baldlands could be pretty good depending on the fight choreography, not too sure about Humans. I'm still sad Almost Human got canned. I still want to see how Preacher turns out, but I guess that's nut till next year.

Moofers

I just wanted to say that my wife is STILL pissed about Rubicon. She mentions it about every few months when we are watching something on AMC or just talking about TV in general.

_Ryo_

Awesome. They both look interesting. Will try!

Now wait for the backlash from Deadline about both leads being asian.

Higgy

Bandlands could be either fucking awesome, or amazingly shitty.

bruh...for real? I'm only 3 seasons into The Wire, and while it's good...it ain't got shit on BB.

The Wire is the most overrated show ever on TV. It's not even in the top 2 shows HBO has aired let alone every other network. It's good to great but has weak seasons. Greatest ever don't have weak!

The Killing , Low Winter Sun ,Rubicon,Turn ,Halt and Catch Fire.....AMC lucked out getting Mad Men and Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead has been mostly inconsistent. Hope they get a good non Vince Gilligan series.

Have to disagree on Rubicon. Show was fantastically well written and acted, it was just too slow a burn for most people. It may have had terrible ratings but that is in no way an indictment of the quality.

The killing was also above average once they stopped trying to stuff red herrings into every episode.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
AMC Series ‘Into the Badlands’ Casts Trio

Set as the young lead opposite star Daniel Wu is young actor Aramis Knight. Also cast in the series are Madeleine Mantock (The Tomorrow People) and Ally Ioannides (Parenthood).

In a land controlled by feudal barons, the series tells the story of a ruthless, well-trained warrior named Sunny (Wu) and a young boy, M.K. (Knight) who embark on a journey across a dangerous land to find enlightenment. No longer a boy, but not yet a man, M.K. is fearless and tests Sunny’s patience on a daily basis. Under Sunny’s tutelage, M.K. will become a martial artist of unrivaled skill.

I hate AMC for canceling Rubicon. Breaking Bad is ok but the last few seasons were so disappointing and predictable. Mad Men was great at the beginning but the last few seasons have been real inconsistent. AMC has nothing on HBO, especially if they keep censoring their shows.. although that's not exactly their fault. They'll cancel one of these after 1 year.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I hate AMC for canceling Rubicon.

Rubicon was extremely low rated and it didn't gain cult status until after it was cancelled. In the time before the era of VoD boosted ratings (or at least in the era before there was potential for VoD boosted ratings), it probably wasn't a good idea to renew a show that nobody was watching and few were talking about.

They'll cancel one of these after 1 year.

Into the Badlands looks to be a fairly expensive period piece, so they'll probably renew it for at least one more season so they can get the most bang for their buck on the sets, costumes, etc. Plus, I suspect they'll premiere it after The Walking Dead, so it should get some decent traction.

Humans, on the other hand, is an international co-pro, so the logistics are quite a bit different and thus, make it much harder to predict.

dork

Banned
into the bad lands wont make it a full season. thats a genre that this country doesnt really care about

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
into the bad lands wont make it a full season.

Yes, it will. The first season is only 6 episodes and AMC (and cable channels, in general) rarely ever pull scripted shows. A&E yanking "Those Who Kill" is the only time I can recall it happening.

Rubicon was extremely low rated and it didn't gain cult status until after it was cancelled. In the time before the era of VoD boosted ratings (or at least in the era before there was potential for VoD boosted ratings), it probably wasn't a good idea to renew a show that nobody was watching and few were talking about.

Rubicon is one of those one-season wonder shows that has been vastly overrated because it wasn't renewed. It was mostly terrible and the finale was perhaps the worst episode of all. AMC made the right choice from a business and creative standpoint killing it.

The fact that people are still bringing it up in 2015 is baffling.

SO pretty much everything on their network now that isn't BB or TWD related. I understand why Rubicon was canceled but I still hate them for it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Rubicon is one of those one-season wonder shows that has been vastly overrated because it wasn't renewed. It was mostly terrible and the finale was perhaps the worst episode of all. AMC made the right choice from a business and creative standpoint killing it.

The fact that people are still bringing it up in 2015 is baffling.

Exactly. I generally liked Rubicon, but it definitely had a lot of flaws. I'm also surprised by the amount of love it gets on the internet (GAF, specifically).

SO pretty much everything on their network now that isn't BB or TWD related.

No.

Ashok

Banned

I watched all 5 seasons of The Wire and it's probably one of my least favorite shows of all time. It's well researched and it's fairly critic proof in the sense there are no major continuity errors. That being said, I found the universe extremely uninteresting and I would certainly never watch it again. It's well produced I guess, but compared to something like Breaking Bad or Firefly I found it quite forgettable and I can totally see why some people wouldn't care for it at all. Just because something is "realistic" doesn't make it "superior" to other shows.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Both those shows sound terrible, then again, I think the only new show to actually intrest me in the past year was True Detective and The Leftovers.

Both those shows sound terrible, then again, I think the only new show to actually intrest me in the past year was True Detective and The Leftovers.

I don't have a lot of faith in AMC, but I'd be surprised if they can't make something better than The Leftovers.

That show was almost too bad to hate-watch. It was one sweat pants bulge away from having nothing good at all about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom