• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Wow, I saw a Ryzen 5 1600 for £220. Beautiful, this is truly amazing! A 6 core 12 thread processor for this price is simply one of the greatest value products of all time!

How is it compared to the Intel 7700k?
All Ryzen 5s are lower-clocked than the 7700K, while also being lower-priced.

Some simulated performance results posted have been posted the past few pages.

Actual reviews will be up next week during the Ryzen 5 launch:

·feist·;231164071 said:
『 CPU Lineup 』

MhL5R.gif
Ryzen 7 AMD Reveals Ryzen 7 CPU Lineup and Pricing [Bit-Tech.net]

MhL5R.gif
Ryzen 5 AMD Announces Ryzen 5 Lineup: Hex-Core from $219, Available April 11th [AnandTech]

I wonder when they're gonna start sending those.
I've heard mid-April is their prospective ship date, but that depends on when Cryorig US gets their supply.
Though unlike with ME later Ryzen releases automatically profit from the improvements done in the meantime.
Mass Effect: Andromeda's patch from yesterday also had massive improvements. This is the new version of the "My face is tired" scene:
giphy.gif

Datschge

Mass Effect: Andromeda's patch from yesterday also had massive improvements.
I'm not interested in pursuing that angle, I thought it's obvious that different Ryzen models continue selling and being used while players of ME:A may have completed and put away the game already with potential future ME entries starting from scratch again anyway.

Wow, I saw a Ryzen 5 1600 for £220. Beautiful, this is truly amazing! A 6 core 12 thread processor for this price is simply one of the greatest value products of all time!

For context, the current best UK price for a Core i5 7600k is just over £220. Assuming that the gaming performance is similar to the Ryzen 7 1700, I suspect AMD might have a winner on their hands.

Sinistral

Next week could be interesting it seems. With all these recent leaks of the RX500 series of cards, launching those alongside the Ryzen 5 CPUs would be an amazing marketing opportunity for AMD. Regardless of them being refreshed video cards, it'll be fresh to new system builders. Now that us early adopters have gone through the initial grown pains with the R7s. Bios's and software have come along decently the last month.

$220/$250 Ryzen 5 1600/X
$250~ RX 580 8GB
$110~ AM4 B350 Motherboard
$230 Freesync Monitor

Some interesting options on a mid range budget.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The 1600X definitely appears to be the CPU I was hoping for.

While not as fast in pure bang for buck its an excellent value compared to the 7700K.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232718694&postcount=2041
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233023181&postcount=2202
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232434787&postcount=1941
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232835992&postcount=2093

MindBlank Tech —— Will a GTX 1080 Ti underperform with RYZEN 7 + 3600MHZ RAM?
Simple enough - RYZEN 1700X + 3600MHZ RAM + a GTX 1080 Ti. All of this versus a 5GHz 7700K. And this marks the end of my Ryzen 7 benchmarking for a while. I will come back to this once something meaningful changes - either some bulk game updates that change performance, or Windows patches or EFIs etc.

Joker Productions —— GTX 1080 Ti Benchmarked on Ryzen vs Intel X99
Benchmarking the Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti on the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X (4GHz) with comparison to the Intel X99, i7 6800K (4.3GHz).

CaLe

Super excited to build this tonight. I went with a Ryzen 7 1700. I previously had a 2500K with some 1600Mhz DDR 3 RAM. I'm looking forward to a smoother experience all around while having a ton of chrome tabs, possibly a VM and compiling (Visual Studio).

I'll be using a Fractal Define R5 + my old GTX 980 Ti. I might be upgrading to a 1080 Ti in the future, or possibly Vega.

From what I read, the RAM I picked is Samsung B-Die, so there goes hoping I can reach 3200 on it.

I hope I did good GAF !

P.S: Any good place to purchase a Windows 10 key ? Also, I assume I'll need a USB boot drive to install it... ?

oiKsd76.jpg

Wendell from Level1 tested multiple 2400MHz RAM kits and overclocked most of them to 2933-3200MHz on a Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming 5.

Level1Techs —— Maximize Ryzen: Overclock RAM for Faster Fabric Speed

Phoronix —— AMD Ryzen DDR4 Memory Scaling Tests On Linux

FocusTripp —— Ryzen 7 Ram Overclocking Guide - Ram Speed Matters A Lot for Gaming in Ryzen CPU's

I hope I did good GAF !

P.S: Any good place to purchase a Windows 10 key ? Also, I assume I'll need a USB boot drive to install it... ?
Congrats. Your motherboard is one of the best AM4 platforms available as far as stability, regular updates, and is regularly among the highest clocking results for CPU and RAM.

Some OC guide links here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232879551&postcount=2115 (will add more as time goes on)

From what I read, the RAM I picked is Samsung B-Die, so there goes hoping I can reach 3200 on it.
Your Asrock Taichi is one of the few AM4 boards with an external clock generator and has received multiple XMP compatibility updates. Not sure if your RAM is included in the QVL (sometimes *not* being QVL makes no difference, while at others it can lead to considerable limitations).

With the clock gen chip found on your board you now have the option of trying XMP profiles, manual speed entry, or BCLK overclocking of your memory. Search for what settings owners of your RAM kit have used, alongside settings of other X370 Taichi owners have used.

Super excited to build this tonight. I went with a Ryzen 7 1700. I previously had a 2500K with some 1600Mhz DDR 3 RAM. I'm looking forward to a smoother experience all around while having a ton of chrome tabs, possibly a VM and compiling (Visual Studio).
That's a fair jump in performance. Sandy and Ivy Bridge i5 owners in particular seem to keep reporting how much "smoother" gaming and general use is. Simply switching to a 2600K/3770K would have helped in that regard, but there's more to it. Higher overall IPC, higher minimums in an increasing number of games, along with the additional cores and threads to aid in parallelization where needed (also what reviews have shown to be a more efficient SMT implementation, and high memory bandwidth efficiency, like here or here).

Even when you can quantify it in benchmarks, I don't generally get into the smoothness debate because, among other reasons, it can be incredibly subjective and often veers into placebo affect. That said, it isn't far from the type of comments AMD Phenom II, Bulldozer and Piledriver owners have mentioned when they switched to Intels from Sandy-->Kaby Lake. Those were primarily down to a much higher IPC gulf than what you've gone from, but also the extra i7 threads.

Make of it what you will...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACaq3C4ONY&t=4m23s

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30671660 | screencap

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/63ciha/i_got_an_1800x_because_i_need_more_cores_for/ | screencaps

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/63cr9d/dilemma_stick_with_6600k_or_upgrade_to_ryzen/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62akfs/joker_wendel_tech_deals_gaming_is_smoother_on/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62hlhf/why_ryzen_is_so_smooth_the_dream_platform_for_fps/

Joker Productions —— PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds CPU Performance & Gameplay Overview

One thing that's overlooked in the "smooth" performance discussions is what percentage of these users may or may not have previously had an 8c/16t processor before to base their experiences on. Having the ability to abuse the PC with several concurrent apps, not needing to close programs while still getting responsive performance and relatively low CPU usage must be a new experience for many users.

·feist·;233606587 said:
That's a fair jump in performance. Sandy and Ivy Bridge i5 owners in particular seem to keep reporting how much "smoother" gaming and general use is. Simply switching to a 2600K/3770K would have helped in that regard, but there's more to it. Higher overall IPC, higher minimums in an increasing number of games, along with the additional cores and threads to aid in parallelization where needed (also what reviews have shown to be a more efficient SMT implementation, and high memory bandwidth efficiency, like here or here).

Even when you can quantify it in benchmarks, I don't generally get into the smoothness debate because, among other reasons, it can be incredibly subjective and often veers into placebo affect. That said, it isn't far from the type of comments AMD Phenom II, Bulldozer and Piledriver owners have mentioned when they switched to Intels from Sandy-->Kaby Lake. Those were primarily down to a much higher IPC gulf than what you've gone from, but also the extra i7 threads.
Someone on another forum I frequent theorized that the "smoothness" thing is due to the higher amounts of cache AMD CPUs have, citing Telltale games as an example of games performing better on AMD CPUs over Intel ones. It makes the most sense to me out of all possible explanations.

At this point, is there any practical difference between Ryzen and Kaby Lake for gaming? Like, if you put the same game side by side are you going to notice a difference?

Because I don't really notice one in those comparison videos, but they put the stats on screen as well which maybe fools you a little into thinking it's different.

At this point, is there any practical difference between Ryzen and Kaby Lake for gaming? Like, if you put the same game side by side are you going to notice a difference?

Because I don't really notice one in those comparison videos, but they put the stats on screen as well which maybe fools you a little into thinking it's different.

There's no point in comparing without knowing what you want your system to achieve.

And yes, a 7700k will almost always pull ahead of any Ryzen chip.

Again, it depends on your budget and performance need. Don't expect the 4 and 6 core Ryzen to outperform an i7 any time soon though.

Paragon

I feel like an i7-7700K is going to give you a more consistent gaming experience.
While the Ryzen CPUs can perform well in games, there are other times when they do not perform well in games at all.
Though there are games where my R7-1700X is running at 70%+ load and the GPU is being fully utilized, there are also games where it's only sitting at 10-20% load and the GPU is being completely under-utilized.

I started playing Firewatch, and that goes from 95-100 FPS down to 45-50 FPS when I turn the camera 90° in some places, with GPU utilization dropping really low.
The CPU is completely under-utilized; about 20% total usage and no single core above 50% load - and I can't help wondering if a 7700K would be performing better.
It may not though; I really can't say without having one for comparison.

As always, overclocking the memory from 2666MT/s to 3600MT/s only boosts framerates by about 4 FPS in these situations, so it doesn't really help much.
It may help framerate consistency, but I've yet to see these 20+ FPS increases from faster RAM that some places have reported.
As long as it's not running at 2133MT/s, I don't think you're losing a huge amount of performance.

On the other-hand, even games which are known for poor optimization, like the Telltale Batman game, was running at 3440x1440 at 90-100 FPS almost constantly with the GPU fully utilized, when it struggled to run at 1080p60 on my i5-2500K using the same GTX 1070.
Now an i7-7700K might do an equally good job of it, but I was not dissatisfied with how the R7-1700X handled it.
ABZU is another game where I was very impressed with the R7-1700X's performance as that's very demanding on CPUs in places.

Since I also upgraded to a 3440x1440 display when I built this PC, I've been thinking about replacing the 1070 I have with a 1080 Ti, and I'm a bit concerned the 1700X is not going to be able to take full advantage of a faster GPU like that.
I'm okay with the 1070 not running at 100% utilization all the time if it's still giving me good performance, but the fact that it's not always pegged at 99% in all games suggests that a faster GPU might not improve performance as much as it should.

At the same time, upgrading from an i5-2500K to the R7-1700X has really shown me just how under-utilized the GTX 1070 was.
I never expected it to handle 3440x1440 at 100Hz half as well as it has, when 1080p60 seemed to be a struggle when it was paired with the i5-2500K.
In the majority of games I've been able to use it at native resolution with most settings turned up and it's still running at 75+ FPS.

I've also been very happy with how the R7-1700X performs in non-gaming tasks.
For media editing/encoding it's a much bigger upgrade than I was expecting.
So I don't regret buying one, I just don't know that I'd recommend it when gaming is the primary focus, if you aren't also streaming or recording/editing on it.

I think it's going to be really interesting to see how the 6-core Ryzen CPUs - or even the 4c8t CPUs compare to an i5-7600K though.
The lack of hyperthreading can make a big difference in some games, and not only do the R5 CPUs have SMT, they have two more physical cores.
In the lower price segments, it seems like Ryzen is going to be a more obvious choice than the R7-1700/X against the i7-7700K, where which CPU is better really depends on your expected usage.

There's no point in comparing without knowing what you want your system to achieve.

And yes, a 7700k will almost always pull ahead of any Ryzen chip.

Again, it depends on your budget and performance need. Don't expect the 4 and 6 core Ryzen to outperform an i7 any time soon though.

To contextualise - if your aim is sixty frames a second at 1080p, pairing any current Ryzen chip with a sufficiently powerful GPU will have visibly identical performance to a similarly or higher priced kaby lake chip, because the overhead simply isn't visible. If you're aiming for 100+ fps on a monitor with a high enough refresh rate, and using the same high end GPU, then the results will tend to favour the intel chip.

Now, this is all muddied by the fact that the only available Ryzen chips on the market (or that are supposed to be, at any rate) are the R7's. The highest end chips, intended to undercut intel's most expensive hardware, particularly as a tool of the professional whose livelihood actually depends on their computer. We do not have the R5 and R3 chips to compare with the mid-range and entry level which is where, as I understand it, most systems built purely with gaming in mind tend to be.

To contextualise - if your aim is sixty frames a second at 1080p, pairing any current Ryzen chip with a sufficiently powerful GPU will have visibly identical performance to a similarly or higher priced kaby lake chip, because the overhead simply isn't visible. If you're aiming for 100+ fps on a monitor with a high enough refresh rate, and using the same high end GPU, then the results will tend to favour the intel chip.

Now, this is all muddied by the fact that the only available Ryzen chips on the market (or that are supposed to be, at any rate) are the R7's. The highest end chips, intended to undercut intel's most expensive hardware, particularly as a tool of the professional whose livelihood actually depends on their computer. We do not have the R5 and R3 chips to compare with the mid-range and entry level which is where, as I understand it, most systems built purely with gaming in mind tend to be.

Well I keep my computers for like 8 years so I'm hoping to future proof as much as possible, which is why I'm leaning towards the 8 core model.

liezryou

Well I keep my computers for like 8 years so I'm hoping to future proof as much as possible, which is why I'm leaning towards the 8 core model.

There is no such thing as future proofing in this day and age. No matter what you do, your computer will be shit compared with new hardware 5 years down the line. Especially if you are talking about gaming.

Mad Max

Just to chime in on the discussion above: I used to have a 4670k@4.6GHz and then upgraded to a 7700k@4.9GHz because the former sometimes struggled with multithreaded games while running other programs in the background. The 7700k solved this problem, however in single threaded applications/games the difference with my old cpu was barely noticable to me. So after about 2 weeks I decided to just get rid of the 7700k and get a 1700 instead since I'd atleast have twice the cores to use in multithreaded applications, and because the single core performance should be comparable to my old haswell. I've been running a 1700@3.9GHz with 3000MHz memory for about a week now and for what it's worth I haven't really noticed a difference playing games (mostly BF1, NieR, Zelda BotW) on this vs. the 7700k. This is likely (at least partially) because I play games at 1440p60 instead of 1080p144, but even then I doubt people could really tell the difference in most games since the framerate is smooth either way.

Datschge

I wonder if Nvidia is preparing some optimization that resolve some of the driver bottlenecks their cards are obviously facing in DX12 on Ryzen. Otherwise Vega may turn out to be a better choice on Ryzen like some R9 Fury X and RX 480 SLI benches already indicated.

There is no such thing as future proofing in this day and age. No matter what you do, your computer will be shit compared with new hardware 5 years down the line. Especially if you are talking about gaming.

I don't know, my current computer held up well, and it seems like a lot of people are still content with their early Core series chips. They're only just starting to feel the need to upgrade, but its been years.

To contextualize you will be buying slower cpu in hopes you never notice it is slower completely ignoring that games cpu requirements can increase over time.

Even now Fallout 4 or Hitman has ugly drops to 40 fps in some scenes:

https://www.purepc.pl/procesory/test_procesora_amd_ryzen_7_1700_cenowy_rywal_core_i7_7700k?page=0,34

https://www.purepc.pl/procesory/test_procesora_amd_ryzen_7_1700_cenowy_rywal_core_i7_7700k?page=0,35

And even cheapest 1700 Ryzen 8 core is at similar price to 7700K which makes it sub optimal choice for gaming rig.

If you don't have good reason (read heavily threaded software you use regularly) then Kaby Lake is better buy.

Paragon

If you're planning on keeping it that long, I think the 8-core Ryzen makes a lot more sense than a 4-core Intel.
It's a faster CPU, and over time applications and games are only going to become more multithreaded.
Even if it doesn't win every gaming comparison today, I would expect it to have a longer useful life.

To contextualize you will be buying slower cpu in hopes you never notice it is slower completely ignoring that games cpu requirements can increase over time.

https://www.purepc.pl/procesory/test_procesora_amd_ryzen_7_1700_cenowy_rywal_core_i7_7700k?page=0,34

https://www.purepc.pl/procesory/test_procesora_amd_ryzen_7_1700_cenowy_rywal_core_i7_7700k?page=0,35

And even cheapest 1700 Ryzen 8 core is at similar price to 7700K which makes it sub optimal choice for gaming rig.

If you don't have good reason (read heavily threaded software you use regularly) then Kaby Lake is better buy.

OH MY GOD! I'm not upgrading my whole PC now, I'm just gonna grab a I7 5775C that's compatible with my Mobo! The thing is a beast! How is that I've never heard of it before?

Ac30

OH MY GOD! I'm not upgrading my whole PC now, I'm just gonna grab a I7 5775C that's compatible with my Mobo! The thing is a beast! How is that I've never heard of it before?

Small-time release that was never even meant for consumer desktops - it has 128mb edRAM which is its defining feature (although I don't know why that is helping, but damn)

Renekton

One interesting twist to this "upside" argument is that 7700k can hit super high utilization in BF1 and Mass Effect, while the Ryzen has them around 60%-ish or less.

How much are you paying for it? 4790k is very close to it and probably much cheaper.

The 5775c even performs better than the 7700k in some games. So, I may find one used for a good amount. I'm not gonna buy it right now, but I'll grab it for sure instead of ditching my whole platform.

Paragon

Small-time release that was never even meant for consumer desktops - it has 128mb edRAM which is its defining feature (although I don't know why that is helping, but damn)
The eDRAM is used as an L4 cache if you aren't using the iGPU, which is why it performs very well in some situations.
If you're using >4000MT/s DDR4 with Skylake/Kaby Lake, it should outperform the L4 cache on the 5775C though - and you'll have a lot more of it.
Few places seem to benchmark Skylake/Kaby Lake with really fast RAM, even if they're overclocking the CPU to 5GHz or so, which is why it can appear that the 5775C is better with minimum framerates in games.

The eDRAM is used as an L4 cache if you aren't using the iGPU, which is why it performs very well in some situations.
If you're using >4000MT/s DDR4 with Skylake/Kaby Lake, it should outperform the L4 cache on the 5775C though - and you'll have a lot more of it.
Few places seem to benchmark Skylake/Kaby Lake with really fast RAM, even if they're overclocking the CPU to 5GHz or so, which is why it can appear that the 5775C is better with minimum framerates in games.

For the price of 4000MT/s ram I can buy me the 5775c and a 1080 lol

Mad Max

I'm not sure why, but those benchmarks are not indicative of how ryzen performs. I suspect it's because they're testing with slow memory (2133MHz), but even then it has the FX8350 of all cpus outperforming the 1800X games like the witcher 3, which is complete nonsense.

nubbe

You should probably get 5775C since you already have a compatible board.
Latencies are really important to games, as the CCX latencies shows.

dr_rus

I wonder if Nvidia is preparing some optimization that resolve some of the driver bottlenecks their cards are obviously facing in DX12 on Ryzen. Otherwise Vega may turn out to be a better choice on Ryzen like some R9 Fury X and RX 480 SLI benches already indicated.

There's not enough evidence that it's even NV who's at fault here as the only (unless I've missed something) game which shows this kind of performance discrepancy is RoTTR.

Datschge

There's not enough evidence that it's even NV who's at fault here as the only (unless I've missed something) game which shows this kind of performance discrepancy is RoTTR.
It's not only RoTTR. There is a pattern that Nvidia has a higher base performance and better improvement using DX12 on Intel while AMD shows similar performance and improvements from DX11 to DX12 both on Ryzen and Intel.

Personally I think the most telling benches were those by German c't from over a month ago that resulted in Fury X beating Titan X on Ryzen. Unfortunately the article is behind a paywall and nobody appears to have tried publicly reproducing their results: https://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe/2017-6-Spieleleistung-von-AMDs-Ryzen-R7-1800X-3637966.html

thelastword

Banned
Amazing Video....here

Ryzen 1700x + 3600Mhz Memory coupled with a GTX 1080Ti

Very nice results for Ryzen, especially it's minimum framerates....When seeing such results, I can only imagine how much better results would be if it was clocked at least 4.5 GHz over Intel's 5 GHz or better yet if it get to similar clocks speeds as the 7700K...

In any case, as it stands....

1.) Crysis 3 and Overwatch benchmarks are very impressive for Ryzen
2.) Mafia results is a seesaw, wheich leans to the game being un-optimized.
3.) GTA5 struggles more in some areas with Intel CPU's, but generally GTA5 likes high clocked CPU's...

4.) Some games would need to be patched for Ryzen since the disparity liek the one seen in ROTTR is out of the ordinary....

The biggest takeaway is the minimums is so many games on RYzen, it's the reason many people have indicated that gaming on RYzen feels much smoother over gaming on the 7700K...Also, if you're gaming and streaming simultaneously, or running other background apps... it's a no brainer....

Can't wait for the further imrpovements come May...

Mr Swine

Banned
Amazing Video....here

Ryzen 1700x + 3600Mhz Memory coupled with a GTX 1080Ti

Very nice results for Ryzen, especially it's minimum framerates....When seeing such results, I can only imagine how much better results would be if it was clocked at least 4.5 GHz over Intel's 5 GHz or better yet if it get to similar clocks speeds as the 7700K...

In any case, as it stands....

1.) Crysis 3 and Overwatch benchmarks are very impressive for Ryzen
2.) Mafia results is a seesaw, wheich leans to the game being un-optimized.
3.) GTA5 struggles more in some areas with Intel CPU's, but generally GTA5 likes high clocked CPU's...

4.) Some games would need to be patched for Ryzen since the disparity liek the one seen in ROTTR is out of the ordinary....

The biggest takeaway is the minimums is so many games on RYzen, it's the reason many people have indicated that gaming on RYzen feels much smoother over gaming on the 7700K...Also, if you're gaming and streaming simultaneously, or running other background apps... it's a no brainer....

Can't wait for the further imrpovements come May...

I really don't get it. Some sites have benchmarks where the 1700/1700x/1800x lags behind the 7700k badly while others have it around 7700k and a bit better. Does that depend on if they have updated the bios and have faster ram?

Paragon

I really don't get it. Some sites have benchmarks where the 1700/1700x/1800x lags behind the 7700k badly while others have it around 7700k and a bit better. Does that depend on if they have updated the bios and have faster ram?
Mindblank's videos always seem to show results that are unusually low for Intel and high for AMD.

I've been doing some more testing of my own and found another game which seems to underperform on Ryzen.
Forza Horizon 3 is not exactly known for being a good port, but in the location I tested, the framerate was 73 FPS with 8c/16t, 78 FPS with 4c/8t, and 82 FPS with 4c/4t.
It really seemed like giving it access to more than one CCX hurt its performance - though that was tested at 2666MT/s.

I will say that while it jumped up to 82 FPS with only 4c/4t, the game actually ran much smoother with 4c/8t. It would stutter badly when streaming in the world with only 4c/4t.
Then again, the game would also start stuttering badly in places if I didn't lock the framerate to 60 FPS - which seemed like an issue with the game rather than the CPU.
It wasn't just stuttering like it was a bad framerate; cars would jump back and forth as they moved.

And in busier locations, it would drop to the mid-50s no matter what settings I used.
It's known to be a terrible port, but it's been the first game that I've seen perform better when limited to a single CCX - and I'm sure it won't be the last.
I expect a 7700K would have performed much better.

As I said previously, while the R7s are faster CPUs, if you only care about performance in games, the 7700K seems to perform more consistently across all games, even if it's not always much/any faster in some specific titles.
I don't regret buying one, but I'm not convinced that it will hold up in games if I upgrade my GPU for anything faster than this 1070.

thelastword

Banned
Based on how the interconnect works between the two 4 core chips, faster memory brings tangible performance inceases to the Ryzen, so eventually when memory start hitting 4000Mhz or 4200Mhz on Ryzen we'll see even further improvements in it's performance....So the concept of Ryzen is pretty futureproof...

The other thing to consider is this, for the moment Ryzen chips dont have the high frequency of Intel Skylake chips, but that will improve too.....So we can have exponential increases in performance.....twofold.

1.) Further increases and compatibility for high speed memory on AM4 mother boards
2.) Improved Overclocking capabilities for Ryzen via Bios Updates...

The futureproof I spoke aboout also extends to devs patching current games for better performance on Ryzen, like Ashes of the Singularity.....but more than that, how much better Ryzen will perform in upcoming games when devs create their games with the new CPU in mind. This is something guaranteed, because lots of development is based on the multicore nature of the console CPU's and with AMD latching and partnering with many devs on future games, you can certainly believe that many devs will make their future titles more mulitcore-centric....

Let's take a look at OG Crysis, that game still today requires a CPU clocked to insane levels for certain parts, but look at Crysis 3, that game performs better on Ryzen because it leverages more cores....This is where most games are going, so single threaded performance will susbside in importance for various gains by leveraging many many cores/threads...

Just look how the gaming climate has changed, pretty much every body wants to stream whilst they play their games these days, or chat up with their friends or run some productivity software in the background...The time for just pure single threaded performance is no longer a viable solution for long term needs...and when more devs make their engines more multi-threaded, the performance increases, the higher minimums will be the norm and the game stutters will be something we see less of. Frankly, stutters and multitasking have all been a major pain in the neck caused by low core count, high frequency solutions....but here's a nice solution here by this new chip form AMD, which is quite commendable.

So yes, I can easily see the next GTA and RDR as favoring more threads....Go play Ryse on PC, certain sections produce some stuttering because it's punching the CPU really hard on certain intel CPU's..I can see less of that in the future frankly.......Too bad Crytek is in trouble, because it would be nice to see a Crysis 4 from them, leveraging several CPU threads...That would be something I'd want to see...

Also, you can bet your money, that the PS5 and XBTWO will have some RYzen action going on, so multithreaded games is going to be quite dominant in the next few years....

Also, Mindblank got better performance simply because, he was the first to get his memory at 3600MHz on a Ryzen Mobo, you look at other tech sites and some can't even get their ram speeds at 3000Mhz, some can't even get past 2666Mhz, so here in lies the disparity in test results....So yes, faster ram defintely helps Ryzen a good bit.....Also be sure to check out this video...on the benefits of a heavy multicore CPU.

Heh, Ryzen 5 CPU tests are live as we speak, catch you later...

Top Bottom