• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

What's the point of an 8C threadripper? That extra TDP headroom is worthless as the CPUs aren't really thermally or power limited. They are limited by the process, that extra 90 or so W of TDP are only going to result in marginal improvements.

I suppose they could do 2 cores per CCX to improve relative cache sizes and memory bandwidth, plus the extra PCIE slots.

Perhaps to have an upgrade path to CPUs with over 8 cores? As well as have more PCI-E lanes and the ability to use 128GB of memory.

Persona7

Banned
Should I go for the Asrock Taichi or something else? Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming is also on sale at its lowest price with newegg codes.

At the price of 16C Threadripper, it could put some enthusiasts who upgrade their CPU's every 3/4 years into a tricky position where it may be worthwhile putting out that big initial investment and using that CPU for like 10, maybe even 15 years depending on how the software side of things develops.

Good stuff AMD.

At the price of 16C Threadripper, it could put some enthusiasts who upgrade their CPU's every 3/4 years into a tricky position where it may be worthwhile putting out that big initial investment and using that CPU for like 10, maybe even 15 years depending on how the software side of things develops.

Good stuff AMD.

No way in hell an enthusiast uses the same CPU for 15 years. Even 10 is pushing it IMO. That's like expecting someone to use one of those 2.53 GHz Pentium 4 CPUs that cost ~$650 from 2002 in 2017.

Should I go for the Asrock Taichi or something else? Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming is also on sale at its lowest price with newegg codes.
Professional Gaming is a Taichi with better integrated sound, dual Ethernet (one of which is 5Gb/s) and on-board power and reset buttons IIRC. If you don't feel you want any of those, go ahead with the Taichi.

Paragon

What's the point of an 8C threadripper? That extra TDP headroom is worthless as the CPUs aren't really thermally or power limited. They are limited by the process, that extra 90 or so W of TDP are only going to result in marginal improvements.
I suppose they could do 2 cores per CCX to improve relative cache sizes and memory bandwidth, plus the extra PCIE slots.
ECC validation (though it works on my R7-1700X / Crosshair VI Hero), 4-channel memory vs 2-channel, more PCIe lanes.
Potentially better upgrade path if you plan on keeping the same motherboard for several generation of processors or picking up a cheap second-hand 16c/32t CPU a few years down the line.

No way in hell an enthusiast uses the same CPU for 15 years. Even 10 is pushing it IMO. That's like expecting someone to use one of those 2.53 GHz Pentium 4 CPUs that cost ~$650 from 2002 in 2017.
Perhaps not 10-15 years, but i5-2500Ks are 7.5 years old and many gamers are still using them.
If you overclocked it to 4.5GHz+ it's only been the last 18 months or so that games have really started requiring something faster.

Perhaps not 10-15 years, but i5-2500Ks are 7.5 years old and many gamers are still using them.
If you overclocked it to 4.5GHz+ it's only been the last 18 months or so that games have really started requiring something faster.

I'm just saying, 6.5 years (January, 2011) and starting to see a bottleneck is probably stronger support that 15 years is really out of the question. I'll agree though, if someone bought a Threadripper at launch they could probably be happy with it for 5 years pretty comfortably, if not pushing into the 7-8 year range.

Drakhoran

Neo Member
What's the point of an 8C threadripper?

Lots more PCIe lanes. This can be useful for certain professional use cases but is not really useful for gaming. I suppose if you were to run four RX Vega cards in Crossfire an 8 core Threadripper would be better than a Ryzen.

Khaz

Hmm, pretty awesome if true!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6n2k95/ryzen_3_1300x_129_1200_109_exc_vat/

ey8oriravd9z.jpg

The 1300X at this price is very tempting.

The Next Platform —— The New Server Economies Of Scale For AMD

In the first story of this series, we discussed the Infinity fabric that is at the heart of the new “Naples” Epyc processor from AMD, and how this modified and extended HyperTransport interconnect glues together the cores, dies, and sockets based on Eypc processors into a unified system.

In this follow-on story, we will expand out from the Epyc processor design to the basic feeds and speeds of the system components based on this chip and then take a look at some of the systems that AMD and its partners were showing off at the Epyc launch a few weeks ago.

Let’s start with the basic “Zeppelin” chip building block and work our way out to the systems.

[...]

OK, that makes sense. Are there any previews of compatible boards for Threadripper yet?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238520388&postcount=2948

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239070651&postcount=3031

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241105422&postcount=3120

DonMigs85

I'm contemplating just getting a 1300X for now then a 6 or 8 core Ryzen 2.0 chip in a couple years, or when the Ryzen 3 can't maintain 60fps in games anymore.

FingerBang

Ryzen being such a success makes me so happy. Intel is still king in speed, but I wonder if Zen 2 and 3 will be able to do something comparable to Intel (4.5-5 GHz). That's pretty much the only reason why I went with an R5 1600 instead of an R7 1700.

Datschge

·feist·;243403596 said:
Aside the good summary about the economics of scale behind small dies the best insight in there is that they assume the uncore to consume ~25W per die, so 100W for the whole Epyc MCM. "That matches eight cores at 120 watts and 32 cores at 180 watts TDP." "This power consumption split also demonstrates that research and development to reduce core power consumption even lower will be subject to diminishing returns, as non-core functions of AMD's Zeppelin die now consume more power than all the processor cores combined."

Btw. the above calculation assumes that one active core (with two threads) consumes 2.5W in the frequency range used for the server chips. That's pretty insane as it equals a downclocked 8c Ryzen at 45W TDP. This is why Ryzen Mobile/Raven Ridge should also be a success efficiency wise (it will be interesting to see what changes they'll make to the uncore in their first 1x CCX die).

With Epyc chips having max boost clocks right at the most efficient point of the process node 14LPP (so 3.3Ghz) AMD makes the most of the current silicon's efficiency in servers. Considering 14LPP was designed for 3Ghz while IBM/GloFo's upcoming 7LP is supposedly optimized for 5Ghz the whole development will stay interesting even beyond all the currently ongoing initial platform roll-outs.

Is the Ryzen 3 or 5 a decent replacement for a i5-2500K (not overclocked)?

The main use is gaming (1080p resolution, I prefer nice effects over resolution) and browsing the web.

Is the Ryzen 3 or 5 a decent replacement for a i5-2500K (not overclocked)?

The main use is gaming (1080p resolution, I prefer nice effects over resolution) and browsing the web.
Aye, the R5 1600 and 1600x is roughly comparable in games to a i5 6600k when overclocked, so it should still be a good upgrade even if you leave them at stock clocks. Do note that if you really have not overclocked the 2500k, consider selling it. The 2500k and 2600k are both legendary overclockers, and there's still decent demand for them.

Is the threadripper cpu overkill for gaming thought?

Lol I think you know the answer.

On EPYC:

Anandtech said:
The current Intel pricing draws the first line. If performance-per-dollar matters to you, AMD's EPYC pricing is very competitive for a wide range of software applications. With the exception of database software and vectorizable HPC code, AMD's EPYC 7601 ($4200) offers slightly less or slightly better performance than Intel's Xeon 8176 ($8000+). However the real competitor is probably the Xeon 8160, which has 4 (-14%) fewer cores and slightly lower turbo clocks (-100 or -200 MHz). We expect that this CPU will likely offer 15% lower performance, and yet it still costs about $500 more ($4700) than the best EPYC. Of course, everything will depend on the final server system price, but it looks like AMD's new EPYC will put some serious performance-per-dollar pressure on the Intel line.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade/23

Holy Smokes. AMD could really disrupt the market here, only a slither of it could be worth billions.

Papacheeks

Banned
Ryzen being such a success makes me so happy. Intel is still king in speed, but I wonder if Zen 2 and 3 will be able to do something comparable to Intel (4.5-5 GHz). That's pretty much the only reason why I went with an R5 1600 instead of an R7 1700.

Yea the second gen of cpu's in the zen family which will more than likely be sometime next year will more than likely support higher frequency memory, higher cpu clocks, but may be higher in TDP depending on their process.

Toe-Knee

These bios updates are just making things worse for me haha.

Installed the latest for the msi gaming pro and now my system won't boot with the ram above 2133 and the xmp profiles have vanished too.

At least it posts really fast now which is far better than the 10 seconds or so it took before.

Shin

Banned
Should I go for the Asrock Taichi or something else?

That's a beautiful mainboard even if I say so myself, holds true to it's name.

Yea the second gen of cpu's in the zen family which will more than likely be sometime next year will more than likely support higher frequency memory, higher cpu clocks, but may be higher in TDP depending on their process.
TDP should be less if anything it will be on the 7nm node (as per their roadmap).

Yeah totally this.
And the motherboard will still work.

If a new ryzen gen can easily get to 5ghz, ill go for a 8 core CPU, too and keep that for 7 years.
I got my 1600 for 185 euro and hopefully can sell it used at 150 when zen 2 or 3 arrives

Edit: there is zen+ on the same process and zen 2 on 7nm. We won't see 7nm zen next year. That would be a pleasant surprise

PC Gamer —— AMD Ryzen 7 1700 with Wraith Spire LED cooler is on sale for $270

US $270 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP5YCX6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

US $270 - https://www.walmart.com/ip/AMD-Ryze...nlocked-with-Wraith-Spire-95W-Cooler/55577371

US $280 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113428

The value proposition on the least expensive Ryzen 7 series processor just got a little higher. That's because both Amazon and Walmart have the Ryzen 7 1700 marked down to $270.

[...]

Go here to grab the Ryzen 7 1700 on sale from Amazon, or here to get it at Walmart.

r7-1700xhx3g.png

Nicolas11x12 English [YouTube] —— Intel vs AMD 2017 - Side-by-Side Comparison [i7-7700K -vs- R7 1700X]

AMD [YouTube] —— EPYC™ Tech Day: Scott Aylor

AMD [YouTube] —— EPYC™ Tech Day: Gerry Talbot

AMD [YouTube] —— EPYC™ Tech Day: Kevin Lepak

LanOC —— Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

SFF Network [YouTube] —— Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming Wifi, Ryzen 1600X and G-Skill RAM overclocking live!

PLAYWARES TV [YouTube] —— GIGABYTE GA-AB350N-GAMING WIFI LED DEMO PREVIEW

Overclock3D —— Gigabyte AB350N Gaming Ryzen ITX Motherboard Review
OC3D TV [YouTube] —— Gigabyte AB350 Gaming WIFI ITX AM4 Motherboard Review

Joker Productions [YouTube] —— Ryzen 1700 Mini-ITX Build & Benchmarks w/RX 580

AMD (Blog) —— Memory OC Showdown: Frequency vs. Memory Timings

Before we dig into the data, here's what we analyzed:

• The impact of the new BankGroupSwap (BGS) BIOS option
  • Single-rank DIMMs vs. dual-rank DIMMs
  • Automatic sub-timings vs. manually-tweaked subtimings
  • Max frequency vs. lower frequency at tighter timings
  • Geardown Mode (GDM) on vs. off

·feist·;243647952 said:

If you live near a Microcenter, you can get a 1700X for $300 and a 1700 for $280, but both of those can be combined with any compatible (AM4) motherboard for a $50 off of the motherboard combo deal.

I got my 1700 for $275 ($280-$5 coupon) a few weeks ago with a $14 mATX AM4 motherboard; tax not included.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
That's actually why I went for the 1600X. I am so happy with my build right now. One thing I've noticed is that the CPU has run at 4.1 a few times, this wasn't my downing (I haven't jumped into o/cing yet). I have a NZXT Krackan X31 AIO installed ATM (from my previous build).

Edit2: @·feist· The missing slides all seem to be for detailing the system configurations used.
Thanks, I glossed over that.

That's actually why I went for the 1600X. I am so happy with my build right now. One thing I've noticed is that the CPU has run at 4.1 a few times, this wasn't my downing (I haven't jumped into o/cing yet). I have a NZXT Krackan X31 AIO installed ATM (from my previous build).
That's a standard feature for your processor. Above the standard 4.0GHz turbo, Ryzen CPUs have so far had additional XFR/Entended Frequency Range turbo values above the normal precision boost turbo. For non-X models, they boost 50Mhz above max turbo, while X models have had extended boost of either 100MHz, or 200MHz above max turbo. R5 1600X chips like most X models have the 100MHz extra (not the 200MHz option) range.

Based on CPU load and good cooling, your processor may spend more time at 4.1GHz than it does at 4.0GHz. What is XFR?

·feist·;238905513 said:
If I didn't mention it before, AMD is said to be working on a socket TR4 AIO water cooler for Threadripper to be sold separately (and possibly in bundles). Would fully expect press review kits to include this and/or a 120mm/140mm tower-style aircooler such as Noctua's TR4 compatible 120mm and 140mm coolers.

http://www.gdm.or.jp/voices/2017/0716/214535

TechPowerUp —— AMD to Include AIO Liquid Coolers with Ryzen Threadripper Processors

In a move that could drown out the value proposition of competing Core X processors even further, AMD is reportedly including all-in-one liquid CPU coolers with its two upcoming Ryzen Threadripper processor models, the 12-core/24-thread 1920X and the 16-core/32-thread 1950X.

This won't be the first time AMD is bundling stock liquid-cooling solutions with its processors. The company bundled liquid coolers with certain high-TDP SKUs of its FX-series 8-core processors (pictured below).

This, combined by the dearth of compatibility announcements by third-party CPU cooler manufacturers for its TR4 socket, could be forcing AMD to take steps to ensure that the first Threadripper owners aren't left without a cooler, more so in maturing markets.
Google Translate:

AMD's new high-end CPU "Ryzen Threadripper" series announced on Friday, July 14 . Domestically, reservation acceptance started from Thursday, July 27. The release date is set on August 10 (Thursday) [for Japan]. The price is undecided at this time. It is said that the product comes standard with a water-cooled cooler.

Open-box Special CPU Buyers Beware:

Game Debate —— Scammers Selling Rebadged Intel Celerons as AMD Ryzen CPUs via Amazon Marketplace

Overclock3D (OC3D) —— Amazon is reportedly suffering from RMA fraud for Ryzen CPUs

eTeknix —— Fake Ryzen Processors Being Sold on Amazon

Why are people selling fake Ryzen processors?

It all boils down to Amazon's return policy. People have been buying legit Ryzens, removing them, using them, and replacing the packaging with the fake enclosed. They then contact Amazon, claiming it's faulty or unwanted and it goes back and if slip-ups occur (which they have it seems) then it gets back into the retail cycle. While PcGamesN reports that there are not many instances of this occurring, the amount of reports are increasing.
Thankfully these fake CPUs are LGA, which means that their potential to damage AM4 motherboards is limited, even for novice PC builders and Amazon purchasers of these fake CPUs have gotten refunds or replacements quickly. At this time Amazon is working on this issue, though it is unknown how many of these fake CPUs are in their inventory.

It must be remembered that this issue has nothing to do with AMD, as right now only Amazon users have been affected by this in relatively small numbers. Amazon will need to train their RMA staff to spot fake CPUs, as this has happened in the past.

Colbert

Banned
Intel quietly announced the base frequency of its yet unreleased 12-core i9 processor.

Videocardz.com said:
The Core i9-7920X, the only 12-core processor from Core-X series, has been added to the official price list. The listing reveals that the base frequency of the CPU is 2.9 GHz, which makes it 400 MHz slower than 10-core i9-7900X.

The CPU is also listed with 16.5 MB L3 cache. No other specs were revealed by Intel.

This means that Intel’s 12-core i9-7920X base frequency will be lower than AMD’s 12-core Threadripper 1920X by 600 MHz.

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/intels-12-core-i9-7920x-features-2-9-ghz-base-clock

·feist·;239070651 said:

https://twitter.com/ARCTIChannel/status/887663557902573568

ARCTIC‏ 
@ARCTIChannel

Our Liquid Freezer 120, 240 and 360 are compatible with the new @AMD processor #threadripper (TR4-socket)

https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/products/cooling/cpu.html

DFGb83LXkAArMth.jpg

The Tech Report —— Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer AIOs stand ready for Threadripper

The compatibility of these coolers suggests that the thermal output and large heatspreader of Threadripper CPUs can be managed using coolers with conventionally-sized cold plates. The specifications for all three cooler models explicitly state that a free retention ring must be obtained separately in order to use the cooler with Ryzen's AM4 socket. No such requirement is listed for Threadripper's novel TR4 socket, but additional parts will almost certainly be needed to adapt older coolers to the brand-new socket.

Swiftech Apogee SKF "Heirloom Series" [Limited Edition]
http://www.swiftech.com/apogee-skf-heirloom-series.aspx

Out of the box, the Apogee SKF is compatible with all current and upcoming CPU's: From Intel’s LGA 115x, 2011, 2011-v3 and 2066, to AMD’s legacy AM2/3, AM4 and upcoming SP3/FR4.
The Apogee SKF also features an entirely new cooling engine made of 125 micron (< 5 thousandth's of an inch!) thick slotted fins! This new technology is at the very least one generation ahead of the competition and will be the foundation of Swiftech’s next generation CPU waterblocks. We are already working on several declinations of this new fin plate to offer the best cooling performance for upcoming new CPU’s from Intel and AMD.

·feist·;243647952 said:

ExtremeTech —— Latest AMD Ryzen BIOS Updates Really Boost Game Performance

When Ryzen launched, many reviewers noted the chip tended to compete extremely well against Intel in many tests, either in pure performance or performance-per-dollar. Ryzen gaming at lower resolutions like 1080p, however, was a weak spot in some tests. AMD promised that new BIOS (UEFI) updates and game patches would, over time, improve the performance of the platform. With AGESA 1.0.0.6 now rolling out to motherboard manufacturers, AMD has released some data on how Ryzen owners should tweak their platforms for optimal gains.
Finally, here’s how it all shook out. Careful tuning and frequency testing boosted RotTR performance by 1.09x, Hitman by 1.16x, and the synthetic Sky Diver test by Futuremark by 1.09x. AMD makes some specific recommendations as to how you should tune a system based on your memory configurations and whether you have single or double-ranked DIMMs. If you want a fire-and-forget solution, dual-rank DIMMs offered the best solution. Everything else requires some degree of testing and evaluation to see whether these RAM settings match your own use cases. The total list of memory timing adjustment features added in Agesa 1.0.0.6 can be found here.

When AMD told reviewers Ryzen 7’s launch performance in certain games could be improved by better DRAM timing and in some cases, patch updates, we were skeptical. But based on results like this, it’s clear there’s at least some truth to the argument. Not every title is going to see these kinds of shifts, but clearly AMD left some performance on the table when Ryzen 7 first launched.

TechPowerUp —— TPU Ryzen BIOS Digest Issue #10

In this issue of the Ryzen BIOS update digest, we have the latest updates. Our BIOS update digest lets you keep track of crucial BIOS updates that improve stability of your AMD Ryzen machine. As per usual, only updated BIOSes from the last digest are listed. Changes are listed after each BIOS, sans beta BIOSes which do not always include change logs. You can find it all below.

In this release, we have several new betas, mostly all consisting of fresh AGESA 1.0.0.6a code.

AGESA 1.0.0.6 has been out for over a month I thought? I mean, I saw it on BIOS updates weeks ago at least.

Still, it's obviously a great improvement for RAM compatibility purposes at the minimum.

AGESA 1.0.0.6 has been out for over a month I thought? I mean, I saw it on BIOS updates weeks ago at least.

Still, it's obviously a great improvement for RAM compatibility purposes at the minimum.
It seems to be a small update to the latest AGESA, which is why people are highlighting that it's 1.0.0.6a.

So i'm rendering images in maya and its been fine for the first couple months but now its sometime rendering at 20-50% CPU power and others fully 100%. It even spikes around between 20% and 100% occasionally. Anyone know what might be causing this? I hope its not a hardware issue.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well, the new BIOS update with 1.0.0.6a enabled me to clock my memory at 2800, but not 2933. 3000 is what my RAM is rated as, but it's better than 2666 previously.

Well, the new BIOS update with 1.0.0.6a enabled me to clock my memory at 2800, but not 2933. 3000 is what my RAM is rated as, but it's better than 2666 previously.
Have you tried increasing either your DRAM boot voltage or SOC voltage to hit 2933? Remember, even on AGESA 1006 certain motherboard/RAM combos may not hit full-speed using XMP and may require manual entry of settings, timings and voltages.

With 2933 being an overclock an increase of the SOC voltage may be required as that assists with getting overclocks stable. Similarly, you may need to increase the DRAM voltage. While it may be spec'd at 2933/3000MT/s at 1.35v, something along the line of 1.37v - 1.4v could be needed for your particular mix of hardware components. AMD themselves have stated that running DRAM up to as high as 1.5v is fine.

So i'm rendering images in maya and its been fine for the first couple months but now its sometime rendering at 20-50% CPU power and others fully 100%. It even spikes around between 20% and 100% occasionally. Anyone know what might be causing this? I hope its not a hardware issue.
Sounds as though the load may be changing based on what stage of the rendering pipeline a given task is at, and this could be a matter of going from single-core focused stages to others which are multi-thread capable (the scheduler could still execute a single or lightly-threaded software task across more cores than it was coded for making it look more highly threaded than it is while operating at low overall CPU usage).

A recent GPU change or settings change could also account for this as work could be offloaded from the CPU, or software priority varying based on other system tasks.

Have you noticed this issue with any other heavily multi-threaded application which can hit into the sustained ~70-100% CPU usage range? Any recent settings changes, software suite updates, BIOS updates, or varying system RAM capacity usage?

If you have repeated similar or exact same tasks and observed wildly different results in usage and time to completion, without any other software/hardware BIOS changes, that would give me pause.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...use-100-cpu-while-encoding-in-handbrake-h265/
https://forums.creativecow.net/docs...d=2&postid=1122498&univpostid=1122498&pview=t
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya...-utilize-multiple-cores/td-p/6923127?nobounce

IIRC, a few of the members here use Maya, such as Übermatik, so you could try PM'ing them about any possible similar experiences, if no Maya users respond in this thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=231714989#post231714989
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231718165&postcount=1453

Gamers Nexus &#8212;&#8212; R7 1700 vs. i7-7700K Game Streaming Benchmarks
Gamers Nexus [YouTube] &#8212;&#8212; R7 1700 vs. i7-7700K Game Streaming Benchmarks

·feist·;243313815 said:

Paul's Hardware [YouTube] &#8212;&#8212; Can You PASSIVELY COOL a Ryzen 7 CPU?

Asus &#8212;&#8212; ASUS Republic of Gamers Introduces Crosshair VI Extreme

HotHardware &#8212;&#8212; ASUS Targets Aspiring Ryzen Overclockers With Crosshair VI Extreme X370 Motherboard

Asus Crosshair 6 Extreme Gallery: https://www.computerbase.de/bildstrecke/79212/1/

eTeknix &#8212;&#8212; AMD Ryzen Threadripper X399 Motherboards for July 25th!

VideoCardz &#8212;&#8212; ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and ASRock to detail X399 motherboards on July 25th

AMD's Threadripper is officially being launched early August. Beliefs are that AMD will reveal the performance and final details of Threadripper, at SIGGRAPH in 10 days time.
So far we have only seen four X399 motherboards from ASUS, ASRock and Gigabyte. MSI have not shown any motherboard yet.

AMD Meet the Experts:

On this month's Meet the Experts, we will provide a deep dive on the new X399 motherboards built to support the new AMD Ryzen&#8482; Threadripper&#8482; Processors.

Guest speakers from Asus®, Gigabyte&#8482;, MSI®, and ASRock® will provide an in-depth look on the positioning, features and specifications of these new motherboards.​

MEET THE EXPERTS &#8211; JULY

DATE: July 25, 2017 9 A.M.[GMT-6]
EST &#8211; 10 AM ART &#8211; 11 AM
SAST &#8211; 4 PM
GMT &#8211; 3 PM
IST &#8211;7:30 PM

DURATION: 45 minutes

Here are the only known X399 motherboards:

Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6ogye0/asus_zenith_extreme/

https://rog.asus.com/articles/maxim...ming-for-amds-monster-ryzen-threadripper-cpu/

badb0y

I saw this 30 game round up comparing the 7700k, 7800x, and R5 1600 and it's clear that AMD has the best value proposition right now. Once overclocked the 7800x and 1600 provide about the same gaming performance barring some outliers for both sides.

https://youtu.be/UfNMn7RWgLw

The 1600 is pretty much the way to go right now in terms of price vs. performance. It's really an amazing CPU. Plus it actually comes with a decent cooler that can even get you a bit of OC.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
·feist·;244075716 said:
Have you tried increasing either your DRAM boot voltage or SOC voltage to hit 2933? Remember, even on AGESA 1006 certain motherboard/RAM combos may not hit full-speed using XMP and may require manual entry of settings, timings and voltages.

With 2933 being an overclock an increase of the SOC voltage may be required as that assists with getting overclocks stable. Similarly, you may need to increase the DRAM voltage. While it may be spec'd at 2933/3000MT/s at 1.35v, something along the line of 1.37v - 1.4v could be needed for your particular mix of hardware components. AMD themselves have stated that running DRAM up to as high as 1.5v is fine.

My motherboard does not give me the option to increase my SOC voltage.

LamboTechnology [YouTube] —— AMD Threadripper 1920x vs i9-7900x OC cinebench R15 benchmark

Exclusive first look at AMD's Ryzen 1920X 12 core / 24 thread Cinebench R15 run against Intel's new i9-7900X overclocked to 4.7Ghz.

I'm proud to bring you this first look at the rendering power of the soon to be mass released Threadripper 1920X 12core professional CPU from AMD.

Special thanks to Filip S. at Dell for early access to Threadripper hardware, and to Matt for the i9-7900X video.
Thx guys!

AMD 1920X system specs:
Threadripper 1920X (6 MB L2 + 32MB L3)
x399 motherboard
32GB 2400mhz RAM c15
850W Platinum PSU
SSD + 8TB HDD

i9-7900X system specs:
Intel 7900X (10 MB L2 + 13.75MB L3)
x299 motherboard Asus
64GB 2400mhz RAM c15
1000W Gold PSU
Twin SSDs

LamboTechnology [YouTube] —— AMD Threadripper 1950x 16core vs E5-2679v4 20core Cinebench R15 benchmark

Exclusive first look at AMD's Ryzen 1950X 16 core / 32 thread Cinebench R15 run against Intel Xeon E5-2679v4 20core / 40thread.

I'm proud to bring you this first look at the rendering power of the soon to be mass released Threadripper 1950X 16core professional CPU from AMD.

Special thanks to Filip at Dell for early access to Threadripper hardware.

AMD 1950X system specs:
Threadripper 1950X 16c/32t (8 MB L2 + 32MB L3)
x399 motherboard
64GB 3200mhz RAM c15
850W Platinum PSU
SSD M.2 + 8TB HDD

Xeon system specs:
Intel Xeon E5-2679v4 20c/40c (50 MB L3)
x99v3 Supermicro motherboard
256GB 2400mhz RAM c15
1200W PSU

LamboTechnology [YouTube] —— AMD EPYC 7601 vs Intel Xeons in Cinebench R15

AMD Epyc 7601s 64 cores / 128 threads un-optimizedserver squares of against two Intel opponents, one old and one newer, quad cpu 16 core Xeons and a octa cpus 8 core setup in Cinebench R15 test.

Please share & subscribe if you like the video, Thank You.

Evaluation Systems-1 specs:
2X Epyc 7601 (16mb L2 + 64MG L3)
SuperMicro dual socket.
128 PCIe lanes, 512GB ECC (Max 4TB)
Dual 850W platinum PSUs.
Dual SSDs + 6X 10TB Seagate Enterprise Helium
Dual 10Gbit LAN

Dell System-2 specs:
4X Intel Xeon 8867v3 (45MB L3)
Dell quad socket.
512GB ECC
Dual 1000W platinum PSUs.
Dual Intel SSDs + 6X 8TB WD Enterprise
Dual 10Gbit LAN

System-3 specs:
8X Intel Xeon 8830 (24MB L3)
Octa socket.
256GB ECC
Dual 1200W PSUs.
Dual Intel SSDs + 12X 6TB HGST Enterprise
Quad 10Gbit LAN

I saw this 30 game round up comparing the 7700k, 7800x, and R5 1600 and it's clear that AMD has the best value proposition right now. Once overclocked the 7800x and 1600 provide about the same gaming performance barring some outliers for both sides.

TechSpot —— AMD Ryzen 5 1600 vs Intel Core i7-7800X: 30 Game Battle! - Hexa-Core Head-to-Head

Article Index

It's worth noting that the number of titles won and lost are equal, and even if we were to remove some of the worst performing games for either platform, it would only skew the results slightly toward either camp, which is the beauty of testing with such a massive sample of games.

For example, if we remove AMD's worst performing title, Gears of War 4, the R5 1600 would become just 1% faster than the 7800X. Remove AMD's second worst title, Deus Ex Mankind Divided using DX12, and the R5 1600 is still just 1% faster on average.

Please note that because there was a large difference in performance between running Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with DX11 and DX12 with the Ryzen CPU, I included both the results in this graph. However, I only included DX12 results for Total War: Warhammer and not the DX11 results since the R5 1600 was much faster in both tests. I favored DX12 as it's the newer API.

If you care at all about value, the Ryzen 5 1600 is clearly the way to go. This is why we recently named it the best value performance desktop CPU. It was unlikely that the Core i7-7800X was going to change that, but we hoped the performance would at least be a compelling reason to buy Intel's new six-core processor.

Ryzen will hit 4GHz with the box cooler but it will be a more mild experience with a $20 aftermarket cooler like the Cooler Master 212, so keep that in mind. The 7800X on the other hand cannot be overclocked to 4.7GHz using a 240mm AIO closed loop solution. Instead, it required a $380 custom loop setup to achieve that result.

Wow, the changes to Skylake-X really harmed it's performance in some games. I also saw this posted by Durante in another thread.

Computerbase published their gaming tests.

corei7_meshp8akb.png

Apparently, just like AMD's "generalized" interconnect, the new Intel mesh fabric is not as well-suited to gaming (read: sucks for some games) as their old custom ring bus for each CPU.

If this was an AMD CPU I guess the general idea might be "no problem, the games will be patched", but honestly this just makes me even more happy with my decently overclocking 5820k.

Renekton

Wow, the changes to Skylake-X really harmed it's performance in some games. I also saw this posted by Durante in another thread.
Check out Hardware Unboxed's R5 1600 vs i7-7800x below. The R5 1600 is just killer value.

Top Bottom