• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Paragon

An update i increased ram voltage to 1.40v and now it is working properly so far at 3200Mhz and with cold boot.
I'm glad that seems to be booting reliably for you now.
That said, it sounds like you increased the overall DRAM Voltage, and not the DRAM VBoot Voltage.
Only the latter should be necessary if the only problem you were having was with cold boots.
Most DDR4 is fine running at 1.4V, but I prefer not to increase voltages unless it's necessary.
I didn't have the exact name before as the system was busy rendering content so I couldn't reboot into the UEFI.
On the Crosshair VI Hero it's at the bottom of the External Digi+ Power Control:
vbootlsub7.png

The retry count option is fairly well hidden, under Advanced\AMD CBS\DDR4 Common Options\Fail_CNT
I'd suggest increasing this to at least 3 if not 5.
That way if memory training fails the first time on a cold boot for some reason, it will try again instead of booting straight into "recovery mode" with slow memory speeds.

Nokterian

I'm glad that seems to be booting reliably for you now.
That said, it sounds like you increased the overall DRAM Voltage, and not the DRAM VBoot Voltage.
Only the latter should be necessary if the only problem you were having was with cold boots.
Most DDR4 is fine running at 1.4V, but I prefer not to increase voltages unless it's necessary.
I didn't have the exact name before as the system was busy rendering content so I couldn't reboot into the UEFI.
On the Crosshair VI Hero it's at the bottom of the External Digi+ Power Control:

The retry count option is fairly well hidden, under Advanced\AMD CBS\DDR4 Common Options\Fail_CNT

I'd suggest increasing this to at least 3 if not 5.
That way if memory training fails the first time on a cold boot for some reason, it will try again instead of booting straight into "recovery mode" with slow memory speeds.

Ok i have put ram voltage back to 1.35v and found boot voltage and have put that to 1.40v. Also put the retry count to 3.

Let's how it will hold when i come home tonight and do a cold boot.

Tech Showdown [YouTube] —— Ryzen 1700 vs i9 7900x Showdown - 3x The Price for 3x The Power??

TechteamGB [YouTube] —— 1800X vs 7820X vs 7700K | Streaming & gaming | PuBG CSGO GTA V

slide-02ohubg.jpg

PC Watch (Impress) —— Virtual currency Monero mining is optimized Ryzen 7 1700 AMD -- Higher efficiency than the Radeon RX 470 [Japanese]

Google Translate:

Since 2017, the mining boom has reemerged due to the surging of the virtual currency, and in the street there is a phenomenon that video cards capable of performing mining at high speed are out of stock and motherboard specialized for mining appears .

According to AMD, the virtual currency "Monero" (XMR) that appeared in 2014 is one of them, but there is no ASIC design specialized for Monero's mining, and the mining client operates only with CPU or GPU It is said.

GPU is the best thing that can do this Monero mining fastest, Ryzen also has excellent results when converted in terms of performance per power consumption. Compared with competing CPUs, not only is it superior to the point that the number of CPU cores is large, it is because large L3 cache is effective.

According to the information published by AMD, Ryzen 7 1700 with 8 cores / 16 threads with TDP 65 W has achieved efficiency over Radeon RX 470, and for other Ryzen it also has a comparable efficiency to Radeon RX 470 It is said to have reached.

goldfries [YouTube] —— Monero Mining with AMD Ryzen CPU - Worth it?

ServeTheHome [YouTube] —— Dual AMD EPYC 7601 Set Monero Mining 2P World Record in Docker and Linux

ServeTheHome Forums —— All AMD (Ryzen and RX) Monero Mining Rig

Dual AMD EPYC 7601 CPUs Can Offset Operational Costs Using Monero Mining
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241555407&postcount=3247

Malvanos.tk (blog) —— Monero (XMR) mining with Ryzen 5 1600 Optimizations - How to reach 510 H/s

http://www.malvanos.tk/search/label/Cryptocurrency

AlexBasch

I'm considering to build a PC from scratch and I have been trying to read about Ryzen and whatnot. Picked a 5 1400.

Still, I'm really lost on the motherboard stuff and I can't pick one.

Been eyeing these three. 1.

Right now I'd like to shop in my regional Amazon store, so Newegg or whatever from USA doesn't work. If these are my only options, which one is the less bad out of them?

I'm saying this because it always sounds like if you don't invest like premium price for each piece you're doing things wrong, but I'm starting to have an idea on building a PC. It's a lot harder than I thought. :(

I'm considering to build a PC from scratch and I have been trying to read about Ryzen and whatnot. Picked a 5 1400.

Still, I'm really lost on the motherboard stuff and I can't pick one.

Been eyeing these three. 1.

Right now I'd like to shop in my regional Amazon store, so Newegg or whatever from USA doesn't work. If these are my only options, which one is the less bad out of them?

I'm saying this because it always sounds like if you don't invest like premium price for each piece you're doing things wrong, but I'm starting to have an idea on building a PC. It's a lot harder than I thought. :(
Are you gaming on this rig or not? If so, the MSI Gaming Plus mobo's the best bet. If not, the MSI Pro VDH is fine.

The Gigabyte is a no-go, because there's contradictory info on the page about whether it's an A320 or a B350 board, and to get the most bang for your buck, you want to overclock Ryzen as close to 4GHz as possible.

That 1950X score is especially interesting considering that not too long ago, a user managed to achieve similar on their 7900X... with liquid nitrogen cooling and an overclock to 5.7 GHz.

Threadripper is an AM4 socket, right?

Dear god I wonder what my rendering times would take... I already went from 4 hours to render a 1 hour video on my i5-2500k down to about 1 hour and 45 minutes when upgrading to the Ryzen 1700. I wonder if I could get it to closer to 1 hour with that 1950X...

Someone stop me.

Steel

Banned
Is the threadripper cpu overkill for gaming thought?

It wouldn't just be overkill. It'd likely be worse. If not worse, it'd be about the same as the 1700 family.

Dear god I wonder what my rendering times would take... I already went from 4 hours to render a 1 hour video on my i5-2500k down to about 1 hour and 45 minutes when upgrading to the Ryzen 1700. I wonder if I could get it to closer to 1 hour with that 1950X...

Someone stop me.

As an owner of AMD stock... Nah.

I'm sure it is, but it doesn't stop people from buy Intel's equivalent over the years.

I can't imagine any games being able to take advantage of 16 cores now or anytime soon.

It wouldn't just be overkill. It'd likely be worse. If not worse, it'd be about the same as the 1700 family.

How much is the Intel equivalent? I got an I7 5820k. Am I good for a few more years or do you guys think I should upgrade soon? I am currently gaming at 1440p targeting 60 fps

badb0y

Someone stop me.
Different socket

nubbe

Someone stop me.

Not the same socket

Steel

Banned
How much is the Intel equivalent? I got an I7 5820k Am I good for a few more yerars or do you guys think I should upgrade soon? I am currently gaming at 1440p targeting 60 fps

An intel 10 core(7900x) costs 1k. A 16 core xeon would run you about 4.5k, however. But if you wanted better gaming you'd go with a 7700k, or a 1600/1700 on the Ryzen side. That being said you really don't need to upgrade yet(For gaming).

How much is the Intel equivalent? I got an I7 5820k. Am I good for a few more years or do you guys think I should upgrade soon? I am currently gaming at 1440p targeting 60 fps

You're good, for gaming purposes anyway. High end cpus like this aren't made with gaming in mind, but work uses (including streaming).

The intel equivalent in the 1950X, on paper, is the i9-7960X, a 16 core CPU at $1699. However they're not out yet, so an actual performance comparison isn't out there yet. The 7900X, at the same price point but only offering 10 cores, just got creamed in Cinebench, though that's just one benchmark.

With the CPU you've got, you'll see much more dramatic gains for your dollar upgrading your GPU instead. If it were my rig I wouldn't worry about upgrading for a while longer.

It's weird seeing all the people in this thread salivating over Threadripper and especially Epyc. Like, you know an Epyc chip costs $4000, right? You are never putting that in anything remotely resembling a gaming rig.

With the CPU you've got, you'll see much more dramatic gains for your dollar upgrading your GPU instead. If it were my rig I wouldn't worry about upgrading for a while longer.

It's weird seeing all the people in this thread salivating over Threadripper and especially Epyc. Like, you know an Epyc chip costs $4000, right? You are never putting that in anything remotely resembling a gaming rig.

Yeah I was just curious, I got a 980ti and it still pretty dam good for my gaming needs. I will only upgrade my gpu after the new console generation is released

Yeah I was just curious, I got a 980ti and it still pretty dam good for my gaming needs. I will only upgrade my gpu after the new console generation is released

Oh, sorry, I should've clarified that I didn't mean to single you out; I think you had a genuine question about what your CPU is capable of. I meant more than a lot of people are quick to cheer Epyc, and I think the competition between Intel and AMD is good in general (finally there IS competition again!) but none of us will ever see the benefits of Epyc directly (unless you work at or with data centers) so it's weird to me to see so much enthusiasm.

Threadripper is less weird because that is something one of us would theoretically buy, but mostly just if you're made of money.

Kuga

Great stuff. Threadripper and Epyc are finally going to give Intel actual competition in the Workstation and Datacenter markets.

That price point is crazy too. 16 cores for a grand? And it does 3k on Cinebench?

Also, the Infinity Fabric architecture stuff is paying off with near perfect scaling.

kotodama

Hmm, if I cheap out on ram on a Threadripper build and recycling my case, PSU, and old mining graphics card, I might be able to get a system together for under 2000 bucks. Kind of crazy, actually pretty crazy, but August will be fun.

tuxfool

Banned
Hmm, if I cheap out on ram on a Threadripper build and recycling my case, PSU, and old mining graphics card, I might be able to get a system together for under 2000 bucks. Kind of crazy, actually pretty crazy, but August will be fun.

But you don't really want to cheap out on ram if you want to get the best out of ryzen CPUs.

Bashtee

Thought it would come in around 1k. Price/performance ratio kills Intel offerings.
But you don't really want to cheap out on ram if you want to get the best out of ryzen CPUs.

At those prices? Fuck it, as cheap as possible. Bought my quad channel 64gigs at 2133 for only 250€. That's currently double the price.

LQX

As a consumer product Treadripper seems like a great long term investment. As a enthusiast it's pretty much blasphemy to say that about PC hardware when it comes to the CPU and GPU but Threadripper may prove to be a sound 5-10 year if not longer investment for enthusiast like me that normally upgrade every 2-3 years in the $200-$300 range with CPUs like the I7-7700K but would never consider a CPU costing near $1000, but starting at $799 I can see myself opting for Threadripper.

Either-way, competitive pricing is back. I cant imagine Intel not dropping prices and even if they do Threaddripper still seems like better option at $799 and $999. Glad I held off on upgrading.

tuxfool

Banned

What's the point of an 8C threadripper? That extra TDP headroom is worthless as the CPUs aren't really thermally or power limited. They are limited by the process, that extra 90 or so W of TDP are only going to result in marginal improvements.

I suppose they could do 2 cores per CCX to improve relative cache sizes and memory bandwidth, plus the extra PCIE slots.

Top Bottom