• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

No way we can just unlock the extra dies rights? That seems like insane value. I can't imagine the package is designed in any manner where that'd be feasible.

I don't know really, core unlocking may not be possible on Ryzen, I'm just kinda speculating on it.
I only mentioned it because the Phenom II CPUs had unlockable cores, some dual cores could unlock to quads, and I think a certain quad core model could unlock to a 6 core. I just thought it would be cool to see a return of it.

thelastword

Banned
some more derivation from the Hardware Unboxed bench results to think about:

cpubench42msqs.png

as you normalize to same clockspeeds ryzen seems to have significantly better "IPC" (over 15%) in gaming loads compared to the new intel sixcore.

no clue if that works. but if you try that out, could you give some feedback?
I have always maintained that Ryzen per core is superior, hence the reason it's so close to intel in (gaming) on deficit of 1Ghz in clocks....

As I've always said, a Ryzen system at 4.5GHz would be good enough to wallop intel at their high OC clocks (5.0 etc)......if Ryzen 2 hits 5Ghz clockspeeds, I think it will be overkill tbh....

PFD

I have always maintained that Ryzen per core is superior, hence the reason it's so close to intel in (gaming) on deficit of 1Ghz in clocks....

As I've always said, a Ryzen system at 4.5GHz would be good enough to wallop intel at their high OC clocks (5.0 etc)......if Ryzen 2 hits 5Ghz clockspeeds, I think it will be overkill tbh....

No such thing as overkill when it comes to processing power!

sorry, i messed the quoted graph up. kinda assumed that there would be near linear frequency (down-)scaling for the intel CPUs from the overclocked results. checking back with the stock bench results of Hardware Unboxed of said CPUs that is definitly not the case. Games "IPC" for ryzen seems more on par or slightly better when you compare the intel stock sixcore to the 1600@ 4GHz (for somewhat normalized frequencies).

Datschge

Delidding reaveals Threadripper actually has 4 Ryzen dies just like the 32-core EPYC, with two of them disabled
Note that this may well be only the case for engineering samples.

Interesting to see Skylake-X and Broadwell-E trading blows depending on the benchmark.
And Broadwell-E is almost invariably superior in gaming, and often by a significant margin.

Clearly, going tiled over ring bus is not always an advantage.
The mesh is something Intel should keep for servers, it's excellent for fairly stable latencies even when adding a mass of cores. With fewer cores the ring bus will always be superior. The only questions are what amount of cores is the tipping point and when will gaming reach that amount as a requirement.

A 5Ghz Ryzen with it's current performance, would be a site to behold.
This appears to be AMD's target with 7LP/Zen 2 in late 2018/early 2019.

DonMigs85

Note that this may well be only the case for engineering samples.

The mesh is something Intel should keep for servers, it's excellent for fairly stable latencies even when adding a mass of cores. With fewer cores the ring bus will always be superior. The only questions are what amount of cores is the tipping point and when will gaming reach that amount as a requirement.

This appears to be AMD's target with 7LP/Zen 2 in late 2018/early 2019.

They also said there was other low-hanging fruit they were gonna address, so IPC should get a decent boost. Maybe more than Sandy to Ivy Bridge.

Datschge

They also said there was other low-hanging fruit they were gonna address, so IPC should get a decent boost. Maybe more than Sandy to Ivy Bridge.
Some of the low-hanging fruits may be addressed with Zen+ already that may be used for Raven Ridge/Ryzen Mobile APUs (which will use a new gen going by the unverified leaked model name "Ryzen 5 2500U").

Edit: The cooler included in Ryzen 7 1700, Wraith Max, is now also available separately for $59 (a price point that makes R7 1700 look even better than it already is).

NeOak

der8bauer delidded Threadripper. Turns out they have 4 dies on the package, 2 of them disabled. AMD is swimming in Zeppelin dies.

yfoChk1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoVK6rJR5VE

Delidding reaveals Threadripper actually has 4 Ryzen dies just like the 32-core EPYC, with two of them disabled

https://videocardz.com/71252/amd-ryzen-threadripper-delidding-by-der8auer-reveals-four-ryzen-dies

5fBSfsg.jpg

Emoji_Icon_-_Thinking_grande.png

Pencil trick will fix that!

All we need is this:

amd_slota_clock_card.jpg

ViciousDS

Banned
ASRock 2.5 BIOS update on my AB350M Pro 4 is giving me a secure flash update error and doesn't work. 2.4 worked with no issues but there is definitely something wrong with the 2.5 BIOS on their website.

I'll try another source and see if its any better or works.

to update on my post

I did get my BIOS updated perfectly fine, I replaced the RAM I had in it for 3000mhz, which I think actually runs at like 2933 with Zen when you OC it. LOVE how easy it is to OC the RAM.....like holy shit, I pushed a button and voltages, and everything were instantly matched for the output. hot damn

PC is now faster than shit, booting up my PC takes less than 10 seconds to get to login screen. No more stuttering in Rocket League.....I don't think I had good RAM in there before that was really meant for the Zen platform.

Love this computer......now Dev's just need to optimize more. So happy FFXIV using the CPU appropriately.

But holy shit some older games on Zen is terrible. Like I can't even hold a good 60fps in guild wars 2, compared to my i5-7600k.........this of course probably has a TON to do with a DX11 client vs a DX9 one as well.

But insanely happy now with my 1700x build......super pumped and ready to go.

if you are wondering about the quote.......it was a spare.....its now banned and my ban was originally extended.....whoops

Ryzen 3 Reviews

MhL5R.gif
3DMGame —— Punch i5 kick i3! AMD Ryzen 3 1300X starting comparison test [Chinese]

MhL5R.gif
4Gamer —— "Ryzen 3 1300X" "Ryzen 3 1200" review. 4-Core 4-threaded CPU that can be purchased for 10,000 yen units, its strength is [Japanese]

MhL5R.gif
Adrenaline —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200: CPU arrives with everything to fight with the Pentium for entry-level PC gamers [BR-Portugese]
MhL5R.gif
Adrenaline [YouTube] —— Gameplay with AMD Ryzen 3 1200: what can you play with the new cheap CPU? [BR-Portugese]

MhL5R.gif
AnandTech —— The AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 CPU Review: Zen on a Budget

MhL5R.gif
Benchmark.pl —— Ryzen from the lower shelf - Ryzen 3 1200 and 1300X processor test [Polish]

MhL5R.gif
Bit-Tech —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Review

MhL5R.gif
Bitwit [YouTube] —— RYZEN 3 Gaming Build! July PC of the Month (RE-UPLOAD WITH HIGH BITRATE)

MhL5R.gif
ComputerBase —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and 1200 tested: Four Zen cores against Intel's dual-core i3 [German]

MhL5R.gif
eTeknix —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-Core CPU Review
MhL5R.gif
eTeknix —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core CPU Review

MhL5R.gif
EXPreview —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X processor evaluation: Core i3 price, Core i5 performance [Chinese]

MhL5R.gif
ExtremeTech —— Ryzen for the Rest of Us: AMD's New Ryzen 3 Takes On Intel Core i3

MhL5R.gif
Ferry [YouTube] —— TEST RYZEN 3 | 1300X vs. Core i3 vs. Ryzen 5 | Overclock [Italian]

MhL5R.gif
Gamers Nexus —— AMD R3 1300X Review vs. 7350K & Intel's Preemptive Response
MhL5R.gif
Gamers Nexus [YouTube] —— AMD R3 1300X Review vs. 7350K & More | Intel's Response

MhL5R.gif
Golem —— Ryzen 3 1300X and 1200 tested: Hard opponents for Intel's Core i3 [German]

MhL5R.gif
Guru3D —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200 and 1300X review

MhL5R.gif
Hardware.fr —— Ryzen 3 1300X and 1200 in test: attacking the Core i3? [French]

MhL5R.gif
Hardware.Info —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200 and 1300X review: new budget CPUs - AMD is now also signing the budget segment with Ryzen [Dutch]

MhL5R.gif
HardwareCanucks —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X & 1200 Performance Review
MhL5R.gif
HardwareCanucks [YouTube] —— Ryzen 3 vs Intel i3 - ANOTHER AMD Win?

MhL5R.gif
Hardware Unboxed [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X & 1200 Review, Core i3 Range Put On Notice!
MhL5R.gif
TechSpot —— AMD Ryzen 3 Review: Ryzen Now Starts at $110

MhL5R.gif
Hexus —— Review: AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200

MhL5R.gif
HotHardware —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X And 1200 Processor Review: More Affordable Zen

MhL5R.gif
Jagat OC (Jagat Review) —— Overclocking Preview : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 + Wraith Stealth Cooler [Indonesian]

MhL5R.gif
Joker Productions [YouTube] —— What Graphics Card Should YOU BUY for Ryzen 3?

MhL5R.gif
Kitguru —— Ryzen 3 is here, 4C/4T starting at £105

MhL5R.gif
lab501 —— Review AMD Ryzen 3 1300X & AMD Ryzen 3 1200 [Romanian]

MhL5R.gif
LanOC Reviews —— AMD Ryzen R3 CPUs [1300X and 1200]

MhL5R.gif
Legit Reviews —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200 and Ryzen 3 1300X Processor Review

MhL5R.gif
Linus Tech Tips [YouTube] —— AMD RYZEN 3 REVIEW - Should you buy one?

MhL5R.gif
MadBoxpc —— Review AMD Ryzen 3 1300X (AM4) [Spanish]

MhL5R.gif
Madshrimps —— AMD Ryzen 3 Series Review

MhL5R.gif
Neoseeker —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200 & 1300X CPU Review

MhL5R.gif
NordicHardware —— Test: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 & 1300X – Best Games performance per Crown [Swedish]

MhL5R.gif
Overclock3D (OC3D) —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200 and 1300X CPU Review
MhL5R.gif
OC3D TV (Overclock3D) [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200 & 1300X Review

MhL5R.gif
Overclockers.com —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200 and 1300X CPU Review

MhL5R.gif
OzTalksHW [YouTube] —— AMD RYZEN 3 1200 vs Pentium G4600 vs i3 6100: Best $100 CPU for Gaming & Editing?!

MhL5R.gif
Paul's Hardware [YouTube] —— How To Build a $525 GAMING PC with Ryzen 3!

MhL5R.gif
PC Gamer —— AMD Ryzen 3 review: More cores and more competition for budget builders.

MhL5R.gif
PCGamesHardware (PCGH) —— Ryzen 3 1300X and 1200 tested: The wake-up replacement for Dualcores? [German]

MhL5R.gif
PCGames N —— With the Ryzen 3 release AMD have created the best budget gaming CPU around
MhL5R.gif
PCGames N —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X review: rolling out the red carpet for the best new budget gaming CPU

MhL5R.gif
PCLab.pl —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 - test [Polish]

MhL5R.gif
PC Perspective —— The AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and 1200 Processor Review

MhL5R.gif
PC Watch (Impress) —— See the power of "Ryzen 3" to cut down 20,000 yen [Japanese]

MhL5R.gif
PurePC —— Premiere! AMD Ryzen 3 1200 vs AMD Core i3-7100 CPU Test [Polish]

MhL5R.gif
ServeTheHome (STH) —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 Linux Benchmarks and Review

MhL5R.gif
SweClockers —— Test: AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 [Swedish]

MhL5R.gif
Tech Deals [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen 3 - 1200 & 1300X - Launch Review - 12 Benchmarks

MhL5R.gif
TechPowerUp —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz
MhL5R.gif
TechPowerUp —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 3.4 GHz

MhL5R.gif
The Tech Report —— AMD's Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 CPUs reviewed: Zen for everyone

MhL5R.gif
TechRadar —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X review: The value processor king

MhL5R.gif
Tom's Hardware —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Review

MhL5R.gif
TrustedReviews —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200 & 1300X: Quad-core dominance from £105 - More great news for PC gamers

MhL5R.gif
TweakTown —— AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and Ryzen 3 1200 CPU Review

MhL5R.gif
Vortez —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200 and 1300X Review

MhL5R.gif
XFastest —— AMD Ryzen 3 1200 and 1300X processor test number report / quad-core entry machine optional new choice [Chinese]

MhL5R.gif
Zol —— Introduction to the Thousand-element advanced artifacts AMD Ryzen 3 first Test [Chinese]

DonMigs85

Been thinking about getting a 1300X for now, then a 6 or 8 core 2nd gen Ryzen next time since I don't really need more than 4 threads at this time anyway (will be paired with an RX 570 and 75Hz FreeSync monitor).

PCWorld —— Why Ryzen Threadripper has two mysterious chips - Did AMD burn two 8-core dies to make its Ryzen Threadripper? Here's the answer.

The mystery kicked off when Der8auer, cracked open his Threadripper and found what appeared to be four 8-core dies used to make the 16-core CPU. Adding to that mystery, der8bauer said AMD confirmed only two of the "dies" were active.

So did AMD really waste two perfectly good "Zeppelin" dies? Nope.

Those other two "chips" are nothing more than spacers to help maintain the structural integrity of the gigantic heat spreader, PCWorld has learned from a source who declined to be identified.
If AMD had populated a Threadripper CPU with just two of the dies, the metal heat spreader would likely bend where the empty spots are.

So no, your fantasy of somehow magically turning a 16-core Ryzen Threadripper 1950X into a 32-core won't happen.

AMD [YouTube] —— Alienware Area-51 Threadripper™ Edition, Powered by AMD

AMD [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors

Tom's Hardware —— Exclusive Threadripper Socket TR4 Schematics, Cooler Compatibility

AMD's 4,094-pin socket, which is paired with the X399 chipset for Threadripper, is massive by any measure. AMD christened it as Socket TR4 (SP3r2) for consumer motherboards and Socket SP3 for EPYC servers. The physical dimensions of both LGA (Land Grid Array) sockets are identical.

In either case, Socket TR4 far outweighs Intel's 2,066-pin socket for the X-Series platform, which has the natural side effect of a much larger heatspreader on the Threadripper processors. That presents challenges for cooler vendors, but AMD also uses indium solder under the heatspreader, which should help thermal performance significantly.

We know that AMD and various cooler manufacturers will be offering special solutions that will allow existing coolers to be used on AMD's much larger Socket TR4. We succeeded in obtaining a set of new adapters for the Alphacool XPX that we use in our German test lab. Please note that the manufacturer did not serve as a source for our exclusive schematics.

Since we now have the complete design drawings for the socket, we have superimposed the cooling solution over the socket schematic and made some educated guesses. This helps us to assess compatibility beforehand.
For the launch, however, the water block should be sufficient, though it isn't perfect yet. We are curious when (and which) products will be specially adapted for the TR4/SP3r2 socket, and how much better they will perform.

For those of you do-it-yourselfers with a CNC milling machine, or for those who are simply curious, we have compiled all of the relevant design documents and present them below.

FingerBang

Been thinking about getting a 1300X for now, then a 6 or 8 core 2nd gen Ryzen next time since I don't really need more than 4 threads at this time anyway (will be paired with an RX 570 and 75Hz FreeSync monitor).

It doesn't really sound like a bad idea, but just because you can't predict the future (so you can't know if Zen 2 is going to be much better than Zen 1) just get whatever works for you now.

I mean, if you are sure you're okay with 4c/4t, 1300X sounds like a great deal.

DonMigs85

It doesn't really sound like a bad idea, but just because you can't predict the future (so you can't know if Zen 2 is going to be much better than Zen 1) just get whatever works for you now.

I mean, if you are sure you're okay with 4c/4t, 1300X sounds like a great deal.
Yeah I'll probably keep it for at least 2-3 years. By then maybe I can also get a 1600 really cheap.

amardilo

Anyone know if a Ryzen 3 1200 would be OK for a FreeNAS build for hosting 4K video (running a Plex server to do the transcoding and stuff)?

jrcbandit

Got my 1700x running and it is a very mediocre overclocker. I knew I should have gotten the 1700 but at least I got the 1700x for a relatively cheap price ($290). Right now I have it overclocked to 3.8 GHz at 1.35V (haven't tested to see if I can go lower), but whenever I try to step up to 3.9 GHz it seems like it is going to require more than 1.4V which I take it isn't good for long term use? I no longer have a custom water loop, I doubt an AIO water cooler will be adequate for 1.4+ volts.

dr_rus

A quadcore trading blows with a 2c/4t is weirding me out.

Lots of i5s are trading blows with i3s with HT too. Games are mostly loading 1-2 threads these days, and the newer games which tend to load more threads than that are generally GPU limited even in lower resolutions which means that we need even faster GPUs than 1080Ti/TitanXp to show the multicore CPU advantage in them.

Anyone know if a Ryzen 3 1200 would be OK for a FreeNAS build for hosting 4K video (running a Plex server to do the transcoding and stuff)?

Maybe? Probably not? If you're using an Intel CPU you don't need a GPU to boot the system and you get a lot of useful hardware accelerated encoding for free. I mostly look at the decode side so I don't know the consensus on the quality of Quicksync GPU encoding and whether people find it worth using but at least it's there if you need to transcode 4K in real time.

I'm thinking about doing the same. Need a secondary rig so that my work has a back-up.

Would go for a more expensive X370 motherboard (so it lasts 3+ years) initially with a cheap as hell 1300X in it. Next year can throw in a R5 2400 (1600 successor) to truly dominate myself and have totally and utterly irresponsible levels of processing power at the end of my wee hands. Problem is I ain't got the coin right now to fully open the purse strings, but next year my body (actually my wallet) will be ready.

I still haven't completed my Ryzen build because I'm hoping for a better MOBO. This isn't to say that some of the current MOBO's are good. I'm definitely not saying that. Are there any mid-somewhat high-end X370 motherboards releasing in the next month or so? I'm willing to spend about $175-$250. $300 is really pushing it, I don't care how nice the board is.

I still haven't completed my Ryzen build because I'm hoping for a better MOBO. This isn't to say that some of the current MOBO's are good. I'm definitely not saying that. Are there any mid-somewhat high-end X370 motherboards releasing in the next month or so? I'm willing to spend about $175-$250. $300 is really pushing it, I don't care how nice the board is.
P sure you can buy the Crosshair VI Hero for $250

Also the Taichi is really good and thats $200

Khaz

I'm glad for the results of the 1300X. That comforts me in my choice of getting one to get on the AM4 train now, and progress with Zen2 and 3 in the future.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
to update on my post

I did get my BIOS updated perfectly fine, I replaced the RAM I had in it for 3000mhz, which I think actually runs at like 2933 with Zen when you OC it. LOVE how easy it is to OC the RAM.....like holy shit, I pushed a button and voltages, and everything were instantly matched for the output. hot damn

PC is now faster than shit, booting up my PC takes less than 10 seconds to get to login screen. No more stuttering in Rocket League.....I don't think I had good RAM in there before that was really meant for the Zen platform.

Love this computer......now Dev's just need to optimize more. So happy FFXIV using the CPU appropriately.

But holy shit some older games on Zen is terrible. Like I can't even hold a good 60fps in guild wars 2, compared to my i5-7600k.........this of course probably has a TON to do with a DX11 client vs a DX9 one as well.

But insanely happy now with my 1700x build......super pumped and ready to go.

if you are wondering about the quote.......it was a spare.....its now banned and my ban was originally extended.....whoops

Which RAM?

I'd like to get it myself so I can run it at those speeds.

How important is memory QVL? I'm buying a Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac, but its list doesn't make much sense to me and the RAM I was thinking about buying isn't on it. Would I be fine picking up G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) F4-3200C16D-16GVGB even if it's not on the list?

How important is memory QVL? I'm buying a Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac, but its list doesn't make much sense to me and the RAM I was thinking about buying isn't on it. Would I be fine picking up G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) F4-3200C16D-16GVGB even if it's not on the list?
It'll probably run at the minimum speed, but overclocking it through XMP may not work.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Dont tell me I'm going to have to start looking at Ryzen 3 now.

And this gives me hope for Ryzen in next gen PS, Xbox consoles.

This is really the definition of what a time to be alive.

The only downside to Ryzen 3 to me is that there is no integrated GPU. I understand the benefits of leaving that off, but it means I can't build low-task PCs for my friends or family on a Ryzen 3 system because it'd end up needing a dGPU that they otherwise wouldn't need or really take advantage of. My wife is still running on an i3-3220 that cuts through YouTube videos and any productivity work like butter, and it seems like the G4560 would be the replacement if I had to rebuild her PC today, rather than an R3.

The only downside to Ryzen 3 to me is that there is no integrated GPU. I understand the benefits of leaving that off, but it means I can't build low-task PCs for my friends or family on a Ryzen 3 system because it'd end up needing a dGPU that they otherwise wouldn't need or really take advantage of. My wife is still running on an i3-3220 that cuts through YouTube videos and any productivity work like butter, and it seems like the G4560 would be the replacement if I had to rebuild her PC today, rather than an R3.

You know you can get passive GPUs like the Nvidia GT 710 for about £25/$25 (prices seem to have gone up). This is likely faster the the iGPU in the G4560. Got a 710 for when I'm between GPUs on iGPU-less X99.

You know you can get passive GPUs like the Nvidia GT 710 for about £25/$25 (prices seem to have gone up). This is likely faster the the iGPU in the G4560. Got a 710 for when I'm between GPUs on iGPU-less X99.

Right, but that's the issue - at that point, I'm spending at least $50 more for the cheapest Ryzen 3 than the G4560, and getting a dGPU that isn't really needed. I love the R5 and R7 lines, I'm just having issues seeing a use for the R3 for home-office type of use (but, maybe that's not their purpose). R3s seem reasonable for uses above office use (gaming purposes etc) however.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I agree.

Thinking about building my kids a PC with a G4560 for the exact same reasons.

For me tho, these cheaper Ryzens is making me rethink my future Ryzen 1600 build.

Nachtmaer

Well, AMD are launching their Zen-based APUs later this year, for mobile at least. I think Raven Ridge is supposed to launch in Q1 2018 for desktop.

Top Bottom