• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Magwik

Banned
Finding out today that all AM4 boards only support DDR4 RAM breaks my heart after I bought 8 GB more of DDR3 RAM last year. Now I have 16GB of RAM that I can't use with my new Ryzen 1700X and have to now spend another $150+ to get 16GB of DDR4 RAM. :(
Bright side:
DDR3 RAM costs roughly the same, so just throw it on Craigslist and get a good chunk of money back.
My old sticks I bought for $70 last year are going for like $130 now. It's insane.

Maxpacker

The Scythe Mugen 5 looks like a silent and compact beast, according to reviews. It's slightly more than $40, but it does appear to come with an AM4 bracket, unless you get one of the old stock, in which case you can get one sent to you for free.

https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Mugen-Cooler-Sealed-Precision/dp/B01M6CR4GH/

You could also look at the Scythe Fuma if you don't mind the two-fan double tower style, which comes with RAM clearance issues. It's around the same price as the Mugen 5 but with better performance. You can get an AM4 bracket for it off Amazon, or from their website.

If you absolutely must stay below $40, the cryorig H7 is probably your best bet. You need cryorig to send you the AM4 bracket however.

Scythe FUMA comes with an am4 bracket. One of the reasons I bought it. Also one of the best coolers for the price. One of the fans sits a little higher to clear the ram, but it doesnt hurt performance one bit.

SteppingOlive

Neo Member
Scythe FUMA comes with an am4 bracket. One of the reasons I bought it. Also one of the best coolers for the price. One of the fans sits a little higher to clear the ram, but it doesnt hurt performance one bit.

Looks like you're right. At some point they started including them. The fuma really is super impressive. It basically has the performance of a dh-15 for half the price. And I prefer the aesthetic vs the noctua's.

I'm not sure why I don't see the fuma and the Mugen 5 recommended more often.

Looks like you're right. At some point they started including them. The fuma really is super impressive. It basically has the performance of a dh-15 for half the price. And I prefer the aesthetic vs the noctua's.

I'm not sure why I don't see the fuma and the Mugen 5 recommended more often.
Reviews show FUMA at slightly better than dh-15 performance, 10mm shorter, and half the price.... Damn...

Makes me wish I'd gotten two of them instead of two dh-15s when I built in March...

Azzurri

Those Threadripper mobos are so expensive, didn't think they be that much seeing how the cpu's are cheap relative to Intel's offerings.

nubbe

Those Threadripper mobos are so expensive, didn't think they be that much seeing how the cpu's are cheap relative to Intel's offerings.

There will be cheaper variants down the line.
These boards are pretty feature packed, if you got 60 pcie lanes you better use them

kotodama

Finally pulled the trigger on a 1950x with ASROCK X399 Taichi. That's about 5+ months of vacillating to get on the Ryzen train.

Looking at my old posts I was going for the X370 Taichi then, but was kind of waiting for the ITX boards to come out. Also was wishing for a consumer Naples kit, and we kind of got that now with Threadripper. It would've been nice if ASROCK could work their magic and get a TR4 socket in an ITX board, but that seems tough.

Definitely went over budget by a bit though lol dat 64GB ram kit and H115i cooler oy vey (hope that bracket kit bundled with the CPU is true).

Still eyeing RX VEGA, but that'll have to wait.

popo

Finding out today that all AM4 boards only support DDR4 RAM breaks my heart after I bought 8 GB more of DDR3 RAM last year. Now I have 16GB of RAM that I can't use with my new Ryzen 1700X and have to now spend another $150+ to get 16GB of DDR4 RAM. :(

It is tough with memory prices so high atm but using DDR3 would be a massive bottleneck.

ASRock may have leaked a non-X, 12-core Threadripper through their CPU support list for the X399 Taichi and Fatal1ty Pro Gaming.

Ryzen Threadripper 1920 @ 3.2GHz 12c/24t 140w TDP

http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X399 Taichi/index.asp#CPU
http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming/index.asp#CPU

asrock-ryzen-1920-trb8s8v.png

1950X@4.0Ghz Cinebench Score
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6qvtgm/1950x40ghz_cinebench_score/

CataclysmZA:

Now that it's out, I can tell you guys that according to people I know who've had the platform for ages, clocking up to 4.0GHz is a much easier affair than Ryzen 7. Many more chips are capable of it, and it's more stable at those speeds as well.

Finally pulled the trigger on a 1950x with ASROCK X399 Taichi. That's about 5+ months of vacillating to get on the Ryzen train.
Congrats. Seems the pre-launch interest is translating into decent early sales.

The Ryzen 1950x is currently around #7-#8 on Amazon US's best sellers list, and had been at least as high the #2 position since pre-orders began.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Computer-CPU-Processors/zgbs/pc/229189

·feist·;244828863 said:
MSI® HOW-TO CHANNEL [YouTube] —— MSI® HOW-TO Install AMD X399 CPU

In this demonstration, we'll show you how to install AMD X399 CPU on MSI X399 series motherboard.

Paul's Hardware [YouTube] —— Threadripper CPU Installation Guide! How Socket TR4 Works

Asus Strix X399-E Gaming exists. No photos yet, but mentioned here:

Asus (Edge Up) —— The X399 motherboard guide: Threadripper gets a dose of ASUS ROG and Prime

All of our X399 boards share core DNA that includes one-touch overclocking, refined cooling control, and improved RGB lighting. Yet they each have their own distinct flavor as well. The ROG Zenith Extreme brings Threadripper into the world of premium dream PCs with provisions for custom liquid cooling and 10G networking. With the Strix X399-E Gaming, hardcore gamers can build stylish rigs with power to spare for high-quality streaming. And then there’s the Prime X399-A and its well-rounded foundation channeling the professional side of the platform’s prodigious power. Which X399 motherboard should you buy for your build? Let’s find out.

Bigger engines need better cooling

Threadripper’s hardware adds up to a relatively high TDP of 180W. To improve thermal dissipation for the power circuitry quenching the processor’s thirst, our X399 boards pipe heat from the VRMs to a finned radiator and fan discreetly tucked under the I/O shield. The fan only spins up when necessary, so it’s silent for everyday tasks but responsive when you need a cooling boost.

zenethiocoolhxswn.png

JayzTwoCents [YouTube] —— My thoughts on AMD Threadripper

nubbe

I think it's crazy that only Asrock offers 2 NIC's and 3x M.2 on their boards
Asrock also offers SBX on their fatality model, with 10Gb NIC

The only boards that look good to me

"Thermal Solutions for AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors"

AMD —— Third Party Cooling solutions for Ryzen™ Threadripper™ processors

The Tech Report —— Noctua offers up a trio of big-booty heatsinks for Threadripper

eTeknix —— Noctua Introduces Threadripper Compatible TR4-SP3 Coolers

Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
http://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3
Installation Manual: http://noctua.at/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nh_u14s_tr4-sp3_manual_en.pdf

Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3
http://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s-tr4-sp3
Installation Manual: http://noctua.at/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nh_u12s_tr4-sp3_manual_en.pdf

Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3
http://noctua.at/en/nh-u9-tr4-sp3/specification
Installation Manual: http://noctua.at/media/blfa_files/manual/noctua_nh_u9_tr4-sp3_manual_en.pdf

Please note that the NH-U14S TR4-SP3, NH-U12S TR4-SP3 and NH-U9 TR4-SP3 [are] dedicated versions for the AMD TR4/SP3 socket. Due to [their] customised larger base, [TR4-SP3 coolers] cannot be used on any other sockets and [are] incompatible with Noctua’s standard mounting kits.

tr4_sp3_1.png

Tailored custom version for TR4/SP3 (Ryzen Threadripper / Epyc)

At 70x56mm, the copper contact surface of the TR4-SP3 version is more than double the size of the standard model. Tailored to fit the enormous integrated heat-spreaders (IHS) of AMD’s TR4/SP3-based processors, this customised design allows for an optimal heat flow from the CPU over the base to the heatpipes and on to the cooling fins.

tr4_sp3_offset.png

Offset mounting options for better PCIe clearance

In order to assure optimal compatibility with SLI and CrossFire multi-GPU setups, the SecuFirm2™ mounting for TR4/SP3 makes it possible to offset the cooler by 3 or 6mm towards the upper edge of the motherboard, thereby increasing clearance of the top PCIe slot.

Pricing and Availability

All Noctua TR4-SP3 CPU coolers should hit retail stores by the end of August. The suggested retail price is available below:

• NH-U14S TR4-SP3: EUR 79.90 / USD 79.90
  • NH-U12S TR4-SP3: EUR 69.90 / USD 69.90
  • NH-U9 TR4-SP3: EUR 69.90 / USD 69.90

insideHPC —— AMD Showcases 1 Petaflop “Project 47” Rack at SIGGRAPH

Custom PC Review [YouTube] —— AMD Project 47 Supercomputer SIGGRAPH 2017

Project 47 boasts 1 PetaFLOPS of compute power at full 32-bit precision delivering a stunning 30 GigaFLOPS/W, demonstrating dramatic compute efficiency. It boasts more cores, threads, compute units, IO lanes and memory channels in use at one time than in any other similarly configured system ever before. The incredible performance-per-dollar and performance-per-watt of Project 47 makes supercomputing a more affordable reality than ever before, whether for machine learning, virtualization or rendering.

Ok so I'm banging my head here about ram.

I've got a
Ryzen 1700x
Asus X370-F (bios 809)
2x CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W

The ram is listed under the QVL on Asus' site and installed i'm only getting 2133mhz of speed and half the installed memory. When I remove the secondary kit. I still get the same speed and memory size. Am I going insane? or is this board not able to use all 4 of it's dimm slots? The manual talks about installing ram like I have in other dual channel set ups, but this is.... frustrating.

I've already tried reaching out to Asus and they aren't helpful at all.

jrcbandit

I've got a
Ryzen 1700x
Asus X370-F (bios 809)
2x CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W

The ram is listed under the QVL on Asus' site and installed i'm only getting 2133mhz of speed and half the installed memory. When I remove the secondary kit. I still get the same speed and memory size. Am I going insane? or is this board not able to use all 4 of it's dimm slots? The manual talks about installing ram like I have in other dual channel set ups, but this is.... frustrating.

You really should have gotten Samsung B-die RAM single rank, Ryzen motherboards like it, not Hynix so much. This is a pretty good summary of what memory sticks to look for. 4 slots isn't ideal, but should still work faster than 2133. Even with Samsung B-die, I'm not sure if you can get full 3200 speeds when using all 4 slots. Might have to settle for 3000 speeds - if you are using all 4 slots and hynix ram, I wouldn't even bother aiming for 3200, try 2933 to begin with. In any case, something is majorly wrong if you can't go above 2133. You can try setting the RAM at higher voltages, you definitely need to start with 1.35 V and possibly go as high as 1.4 V for RAM, and you need to raise SOC voltage too, starting with 1.1 V SOC and going as high as 1.2 V SOC (under 1.2 is preferable).

Is that Bios the latest 1.0.0.6a AGESA update (update to make memory more compatible)? The other thing you might have to change is memory subtimings, but the computer should at least boot with higher speeds without messing with subtimings. For memory subtiming stuff, you can shut off Gear Down Mode (GDM), BGS (forgot what it stands for), and power down if that is an option. I'd also disable Cool n quiet which I think is in the CPU section.

You really should have gotten Samsung B-die RAM single rank, Ryzen motherboards like it, not Hynix so much. This is a pretty good summary of what memory sticks to look for. 4 slots isn't ideal, but should still work faster than 2133. Even with Samsung B-die, I'm not sure if you can get full 3200 speeds when using all 4 slots. Might have to settle for 3000 speeds - if you are using all 4 slots and hynix ram, I wouldn't even bother aiming for 3200, try 2933 to begin with. In any case, something is majorly wrong if you can't go above 2133. You can try setting the RAM at higher voltages, you definitely need to start with 1.35 V and possibly go as high as 1.4 V for RAM, and you need to raise SOC voltage too, starting with 1.1 V SOC and going as high as 1.2 V SOC (under 1.2 is preferable).

Is that Bios the latest 1.0.0.6a AGESA update (update to make memory more compatible)? The other thing you might have to change is memory subtimings, but the computer should at least boot with higher speeds without messing with subtimings. For memory subtiming stuff, you can shut off Gear Down Mode (GDM), BGS (forgot what it stands for), and power down if that is an option. I'd also disable Cool n quiet which I think is in the CPU section.
Yeah, I made the mistake(correct decision?) of ordering 64GBs of Hynix M-die before RAM prices jumped up... ...so, before Ryzen reviews....

I'm having better luck with the MSI X370 Carbon than I am on the ASUS Prime X370-Pro. 2666 on the former, 2400 on the latter...

Haven't had a chance to play with them since 1.0.0.6, though as I've been moving internationally.

Risette

A Good Citizen

I've got a
Ryzen 1700x
Asus X370-F (bios 809)

What is the version number on the RAM stick?

Ver 4.31 is b-die, 5.something is Hynix.

I got the b-die version of the 3000mhz, worked perfectly on first boot... felt like an ass making the guys at Frys dig for a Ver 4.31 but it was worth it.

wow that is disappointing...

I know Ryzen was a bit annoying about ram, but this is something else. The motherboard manufactures do not properly warn customers of the complexity surrounding this issue. If I would have known beforehand I would not have made the choice to buy the ram I did. I now have no options when it comes to returning the ram.

color me annoyed

I've got a
Ryzen 1700x
Asus X370-F (bios 809)

The QVL for that motherboard specifically states "ver4.31" for that RAM kit, and shows it as supporting v4.31 in only 2 DIMMs at 3200MT/s. Running v4.31 in all 4 DIMMs at lower speed may be possible with tweaks, though it seems as though you have the Hynix version.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...X_X370-F_GAMING_DRAM_Non-ECC_QVL_20170522.pdf

Even then, 2400 or 2666 should still be about the lowest it will run your current RAM kit in 2 DIMM slots (on *most* Ryzen boards you should start with 2nd pair of alternating DIMM slots, not 1st pair closest to CPU socket --- or use slot 2 & 4, counting left to right).

Start here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBmVf0S4UDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

Try the tweaking/overclocking steps in the links below:

·feist·;231164071 said:
『 CPU Core Scaling + Memory Scaling 』

ajax-loaderwczyr.gif
Ryzen *RAM* Compatibility, Overclocking, Performance Scaling
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240699265&postcount=3101
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240233184&postcount=3092

To save yourself the worry of potentially needing a new motherboard or RAM kit(s), I'd take the necessary time to try dialing in your RAM step by step. This may be time-consuming, while requiring multiple reboots and/or BIOS resets to default, though it may be a better option for you than needing to buy new components.

Despite not being on your QVL and likely a Hynix set, I'd imagine you should still be able to get them above 2133. Note, this could *possibly* require you running at looser timings, higher than 1.35v on DRAM voltage and ~1.12v or higher SOC voltage.

I'd aim for 2 DIIMMs at 2666MT/s with adjusted settings so long as you don't go too loose on timings or too high with voltages.

I've got a
Ryzen 1700x
Asus X370-F (bios 809)

I've got the same ram but my motherboard is a MSI Pro Carbon. I rolled back my BIOS to 7A32v15 because I was having weird issues with the latest and couldn't overclock the ram as well. My CPU is the 1700 which is clocked at 3.5 and my ram I got to 2933.

Maxpacker

wow that is disappointing...

I know Ryzen was a bit annoying about ram, but this is something else. The motherboard manufactures do not properly warn customers of the complexity surrounding this issue. If I would have known beforehand I would not have made the choice to buy the ram I did. I now have no options when it comes to returning the ram.

color me annoyed

No offense but this information is widely available if you do 5 min tops of research.

It's always a good idea to do some homework on parts before building ANY system, AMD or Intel.

Zojirushi

Unboxing videos going up on Youtube. AMD definitely seems confident with this launch with all the fancy stuff they're throwing in. Seems that they're sending these to 250 tech reviewers, and each of them gets a (presumably non-functional) CPU engraved with their logo on it. Bitwit's is 32/250, JayzTwoCents 37/250, Paul's Hardware 40/250, Hardware Unboxed 106/250.

djp6

Unboxing videos going up on Youtube. AMD definitely seems confident with this launch with all the fancy stuff they're throwing in. Seems that they're sending these to 250 tech reviewers, and each of them gets a (presumably non-functional) CPU engraved with their logo on it. Bitwit's is 32/250, JayzTwoCents 37/250, Paul's Hardware 40/250, Hardware Unboxed 106/250.
Damn how many unbox videos did you watch ?

nubbe

AMD should be ecstatic. Intel can't touch the Threadripper

AMD should be ecstatic. Intel can't touch the Threadripper

TR seems pretty sweet. I have my Ryzen 7 1700 build, but if in the future I needed something more hardcore.... TR would be rad. :O

Not sure my wife would be happy if I spent $1k on a CPU though lol.

TR seems pretty sweet. I have my Ryzen 7 1700 build, but if in the future I needed something more hardcore.... TR would be rad. :O

Not sure my wife would be happy if I spent $1k on a CPU though lol.

A piece of me almost regrets building my R1700 build a month ago. Like, had a waited, I could have spent $1,000 more on something I didn't even have a real use for! BUT THE PACKAGING.

AMD really has me hyped lately.

A piece of me almost regrets building my R1700 build a month ago. Like, had a waited, I could have spent $1,000 more on something I didn't even have a real use for! BUT THE PACKAGING.

AMD really has me hyped lately.

Put it this way, with the money you saved you can easily* justify going to a 1180 Ti or 1280 Ti when they come out. :p

Newboi

I'm waiting on the 8-core threadripper part (1900X). Once that comes out, I'll work on saving up to order parts for a new rig. I already have a GTX1080, but I feel like my 3770K is getting long in the tooth even though it's OC'd to 4.4Ghz.

Edit: I wonder what will be the best bang for your buck motherboard when it comes to features, overclocking performance, and reliability. I do find it odd that Asus' flagship motherboard has EVERYTHING, but bluetooth. They give the Strix gaming board bluetooth 4.2, but remove the DAC from the onboard sound...odd choices.

RS4-

I'm waiting on the 8-core threadripper part (1900X). Once that comes out, I'll work on saving up to order parts for a new rig. I already have a GTX1080, but I feel like my 3770K is getting long in the tooth even though it's OC'd to 4.4Ghz.

Edit: I wonder what will be the best bang for your buck motherboard when it comes to features, overclocking performance, and reliability. I do find it odd that Asus' flagship motherboard has EVERYTHING, but bluetooth. They give the Strix gaming board bluetooth 4.2, but remove the DAC from the onboard sound...odd choices.

I'm going to wait for the 1900x and see what the mobo prices and features are as well in a months time.

If it's still too pricey, I'll just get the 1700 or some shit.

I presume you intended to quote one of the unboxing vids?

Oops sorry yeah, his TR unboxing vid yes.

We'll find out for sure soon enough once reviews are out, but apparently the 1950X 16-core reaches 4Ghz all-core overclocks pretty straightforwardly as they're highly binned chips. knowing this I imagine that the TR 1900 8-cores have a good chance of being better overclockers than the 1700/1800X. Perhaps the limit will be 4.2Ghz.

Chris R

Make sure you post an update whenever you do end up building your rig. I'm on a 3770k/1080 setup right now too, but I haven't even touched OCing yet... Going to have to look into it soon though.

Top Bottom