• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Zen 5 Ryzen 9000 Desktop Gaming Performance Predictions. How fast in gaming do you think it will be?

Predict the gaming performance of the fastest Zen 5 processor at the Zen5 launch this year.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marquimvfs

Only thing that explains is that the AMD user who gave it away to me not only "broke" the thing, but also was unable to figure out how to bend several pins back into place.
If you don't see the irony of it I'll take back what I've said about your intelligence.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Averaging about 90+% of a 7800X from the ugly ducking 9900X?
I think thats decent.

LQ3sUWi.png

AMD-RYZEN-9900X-BENCHMARKS-8.jpg

But in well CPU optimized games it doesnt seem to hold on.
AMD-RYZEN-9900X-BENCHMARKS-4.jpg

ehhh.
Honestly it seems like any modern 6+ core CPU is good enough for DLSS 4K gaming.
We are all gonna be GPU bound more often than not anyway.

Now to wait for pricing on these suckers and ArrowLake.

Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
Averaging about 90+% of a 7800X from the ugly ducking 9900X?
I think thats decent.
Its on par with two year old Intel CPUs (Raptor Lake), if other reviews are similar.

I say its bad, if that is how it turned out. You don't expect an improvement after 2 years?

Zathalus

Oh, I thought you were accusing me of being a liar, like winjer winjer

I fail to see where I am acting as a defense force. I never defeneded high power draw i9s. I never defended stability issues some people are having. I never defended Intel Arc GPUs, I never defended the pricing of RTX 4080. I fail to see where I'm acting as a defense force. I'm not sure where you're getting this unless you give some examples...

I post things that people might not be aware about. Yes I bought an i5 in 2022, I did so because it was the best perf/$ current gen CPU at the time, destroying Zen4 in some areas. And I probably posted a few things about the i5 being great, which most reviewers agreed with. I fail to see where I'm defending...

I didn't defend high power draw, I didn't defend stability issues, I didn't defend 4080 prices, I didn't defend Arc, I didn't defend 14th Gen 2% uplift, etc... wouldn't a defense force defend those things?
You defended the shit out of the 4060 just off the top of my head. I can point out how you gleefully point out any time AMD does the slightest wrong but are mysteriously absent when it comes to any negative Intel news. Or how performance per watt mysteriously matters when AMD is bad at it but it’s totally not a problem with Intel because you undervolted. Your mental gymnastics is astounding for applying the exact same arguments to whatever suits your narrative.

But it really doesn’t matter what I say does it? Literally everyone on this forum has been clowning on you for years at this point and you still refuse to believe you are massively biased. You’ve bought some AMD products in the past and this totally means you are free to deflect any criticism because this means you can’t possibly be a fanboy! Even though it totally doesn’t.

Black_Stride

Its on par with two year old Intel CPUs (Raptor Lake), if other reviews are similar.

I say its bad, if that is how it turned out. You don't expect an improvement after 2 years?

Its a gen on gen improvement.
And the X3Ds are the gaming chips, they will certainly deck RaptorLake on average.

Leonidas

You defended the shit out of the 4060 just off the top of my head.
Did not, I said it was like getting a RTX 2080 for $299. And at $299 it was the fastest Nvidia card for its price that gave access to DLSS. There is some value to that.

I also called it a low end card, and was shocked when people were telling me it was mid-range...

I can point out how you gleefully point out any time AMD does the slightest wrong
And I've praised AMD when they did something that I thought was good. I still wish Nvidia copied AFMF and added it to its driver to this day. You people ignore when AMD does something good and I say something about that...

but are mysteriously absent when it comes to any negative Intel news.
But I was in the thread about Intel crashing. And people thought I was lying when I said my 13600K, with its low voltage and low VID table, never had any issues...

What other negative Intel news are you referring to?

But it really doesn’t matter what I say does it? Literally everyone on this forum has been clowning on you for years at this point and you still refuse to believe you are massively biased. You’ve bought some AMD products in the past and this totally means you are free to deflect any criticism because this means you can’t possibly be a fanboy! Even though it totally doesn’t.
And there are people on this forum who know that I'm not a fanboy, I care more what those people think, not people like you winjer winjer , and other AMD defenders who believe I am somehow an Nvidia/Intel fanboy.

I really will buy a 9950X, if it beats Arrow Lake in gaming.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Its a gen on gen improvement.
That's not saying much if you can only match your competitor, two years later.

And the X3Ds are the gaming chips, they will certainly deck RaptorLake on average.
No one is going to compare Zen5 3D to last gen Raptor Lake.

The comparison will be Arrow Lake vs. Zen5 X3D, and it probably won't deck Arrow Lake, but Zen5 3D could still win, on average.

marquimvfs

And I've praised AMD when they did something that I thought was good.
That literally never happened. You always manage to twist everything that AMD does to appears bad. Nobody takes you seriously, you don't have an audience, or people who listen to you.

And just to be clear, to confirm that I'm not biased, I've just run the forum search with AMD as the term, by you, and I've scrolled through 8 pages of you being you, and the occasional "look, I've used AMD too, I'm not a fanboy and know what I'm talking about".

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My guess is that AMD is going to tone down their single core boost voltage a tad juuuuust in case. They don't want to pull an Intel and leave themselves vulnerable to a "both sides" argument right when Intel is so generously shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Launch delayed, all shipped units recalled.

Yikes! First CPU recall of 2024. If AMD didn't push their CPUs to the absolute limit this might not have happened...

That literally never happened.

It did, this is me when AMD added AFMF to RDNA.
Good to see AMD flip the switch for 6000-series support, hopefully it turns out well so that Nvidia might eventually come out with a similar feature for it's driver.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Yikes! First CPU recall of 2024. If AMD didn't push their CPUs to the absolute limit this might not have happened...
I suppose they could have just released the product as is and then face backlash down the line when those CPUs start failing. Oh wait, I see the article was about AMD and not Intel.

Still the first CPU recall of 2024, sad to see it.
What recall? The products haven't even been released yet. Its a slightly over two week delay. They wouldn't want to be in the shoes of a CPU manufacturer that has a high number of defective CPUs on the market right now.

Leonidas

I suppose they could have just released the product as is and then face backlash down the line when those CPUs start failing. Oh wait, I see the article was about AMD and not Intel.

What recall? The products haven't even been released yet. Its a slightly over two week delay. They wouldn't want to be in the shoes of a CPU manufacturer that has a high number of defective CPUs on the market right now.
For there to be a product recall, the product needs to already be in the market in the first place. By definition, this is not a recall.

The 13XXX and 14XXX chips, on the other hand... those ones are already in the market and should be recalled.
Not a recall you muppet but keep making yourself look more idiotic every post.
AMD defense out in full force, I'm lovin' it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Yes, AMD did recall the CPUs. All the CPUs were recalled back to AMD. Zen5 was both delayed and recalled.

Yeah, good try. Post the entire quote next time...
Try this.

Now I'm wanting a Vega 56 again. Hopefully they have a decent amount of stock so they can actually sell for $399 on release date....
Clearly the words of a AMD hater, right?

Last edited:

Leonidas

Context matters. You're implying that it couldn't keep the price because of stock. But, keep trying, maybe someday you will find something that is as cheer as you do for Intel.
And I was correct, as it didn't keep its launch price as they did some 2-game bundle BS raising the price by $100.

I still bought one...

marquimvfs

And I was correct, as it didn't keep its launch price as they did some 2-game bundle BS raising the price by $100.

I still bought one...
Like I said, you always manage to twist everything that AMD does to appears bad. Even when is real good (better than Intel good). I stand correct. I mean, when AMD delayed the launch, you could say "Good to see Intel AMD come out with this statement, and taking care of its affected customers." Hahahaha. You're such a joke.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Like I said, you always manage to twist everything that AMD does to appears bad.
If I say something bad its because I want them to improve. AMD needs to improve in a lot of areas to catch up to Nvidia, everyone knows it. I'm not twisting shit when I say AMD needs to improve their RT and upscaling quality. Its the stone cold truth.

I have not twisted Zen4 to look bad. I have never lied to make AMD look bad.

marquimvfs

If I say something bad its because I want them to improve. AMD needs to improve in a lot of areas to catch up to Nvidia, everyone knows it. I'm not twisting shit when I say AMD needs to improve their RT and upscaling quality. Its the stone cold truth.

I have not twisted Zen4 to look bad. I have never lied to make AMD look bad.
Sure jan.gif

Zathalus

AMD defense out in full force, I'm lovin' it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Yes, AMD did recall the CPUs. All the CPUs were recalled back to AMD. Zen5 was both delayed and recalled.

Try this.

Clearly the words of a AMD hater, right?
Ah, so it’s being part of the AMD Defense force to point out the truth?

As for somebody who claims to not be biased, you seem to love using the :messenger_smiling: emoji when posting seemingly positive things about Intel and Nvidia, I’m curious have you ever used it when discussing positive news about AMD? Like anything similar to the following for AMD?

It should still beat Zen5 in gaming, and could launch as soon as 2-months later now that AMD recalled all thier Zen5 CPUs :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Can't wait to see Zen5 trading blows with 1.5-2 year old (last gen) CPUs in gaming :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

winjer

Gold Member
Hahahah i actually can see this being the case.

Whatever the reason, it has to be something very small. They are delaying some CPUs one week and the others by 2 weeks.

As a result, there will be a short delay in retail availability. The Ryzen 7 9700X and Ryzen 5 9600X processors will now go on sale on August 8th and the Ryzen 9 9950X and Ryzen 9 9900X processors will go on-sale on August 15th.

It can really be just some strategy shift to deal with Intel's patch.
Or it could be just some issue so simple as some IHS not being flat enough or something with the thermal paste.
If it was something really serious, it would require a delay of several months.

Malvira

Neo Member
From my understanding it is correct to use the term recall as it can happen at several stages:

1. wholesale level: easiest to perform as you only need to contact warehouses or distribution centers
  2. retail level: harder as you need to reach more places (small or big stores, supermarkets etc)
  3. consumer level: hardest as you need to make a public announcement to try to reach everyone. Also the purchaser might not be the consumer which complicates things

marquimvfs

My first suspicion was that it could be some bad batch of HIS or thermal interface. Considering it's fixed
It's a couple weeks for the new batch arrive at the suppliers, the real cause or if the processors will really be fixed is another talk. It could be serious to the point of a first lot (the one already shipped and now sended back) needing to be completely discarded. The good part is, whatever the correction is, they already granted it and sended (or will send quickly) a new lot for distribution centers. If the problem is easily fixable, they will do in the future and send back the processors to the market. They won't stop a production line (even if it's just to replace a box containing a label with wrong info) to fix the issues, this will take some time, no matter how easy.

Last edited:

peish

Square profile picture

MSI Gaming

@msigaming

MSI is releasing the new AMD AGESA Combo PI-1.2.0.0a Patch A BIOS update for all X670E, X670, B650, and A620 motherboards. This update enhances stability and performance, especially for the upcoming AMD Ryzen 9000 series processors. >> https://l8r.it/x50n

We are good to go ladies, bios patch, 2 more weeks for reviewers to evaluate, nothing to see here

Leonidas

Intel QS arent looking so hot either.
Its not bad if its only 24 threads, and the result might improve before launch.

I've never been interested in an i9 anyway. If I get Arrow Lake it will most likely be the i5 or i7, depending on how the power usage turns out.

And that benchmark is irrelevant as what I get this Fall will depend on the gaming performance...

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Its not bad if its only 24 threads, and the result might improve before launch.

I've never been interested in an i9 anyway. If I get Arrow Lake it will most likely be the i5 or i7, depending on how the power usage turns out.

And that benchmark is irrelevant as what I get this Fall will depend on the gaming performance...

Ill almost certainly be jumping on the Intel u5 or AMD r7 depending on pricing.
u9s and r9s are way too rich for me, ill never really make that money back.

If the u5 can keep up or beat the 7800X3D on average, then its a done deal for me, I dont need that much more performance cuz im already GPU bound as is, and im skipping RT50s.

We'll see how performance is in gaming, just hope they dont delay ArrowLake.

Three

My ban bet is specifically pertains to this slide.

ikzIqIA.png

~2-year old Intel wins in one of these games, and I can tell you which one. X3D isn't part of the deal as we won't know any info on that any time soon.
It's HZD. You don't need to pretend you have insider knowledge.

Marlenus

It depends entirely on the game suite used.

I suspect on average it will be around 7800X3D with some wins in games the cache is less important in and losses in games that like the cache.

The chip to wait for in gaming is probably the 9800X3D.

winjer

Gold Member

The closest current gen CPU is the 14700K, since both have 8 P-cores and 12 E-cores. The 14700K runs at 5.6. The 265K runs at 5.5Ghz
This means the 265K is 6.1% faster than the 14700K in single thread. But 23% slower in multithread, probably because with Arrow Lake, there is no Hyper-Threading.

6hqVobM.png

INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-265KF.png

Leonidas

It's HZD.
That is one of the cherry picks (-20% for Raptor on 7900XTX vs. 4090, where AMD takes a much smaller hit going to the weaker GPU), but that ain't the game I was talking about, and I think 9950X could still win that one, but its not going to be anywhere close to the 23% faster AMD cherry-picked.

The game I'm talking about Raptor Lake loses 20% with a 7900 XTX vs. 4090 (where AMD CPU performance stays the same)...

So yes, as I've said, there are multiple cherry picks in AMDs 6 games. Every game I found data from (3 of the 6 AMD chosen titles), showed Raptor Lake losing more performance vs. AMD by going to a 7900XTX vs. 4090.

You don't need to pretend you have insider knowledge.
Its not insider knowledge, I've already said its common knowledge data from a reputable source, but somehow its something no one knows about (or they forgot about), and no one talks about.... and sadly the reputable source (and no other major source I'm aware of) ever dug further into the issue to find out why this happened...

Last edited:
Top Bottom