• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's first ray tracing demo

2cf2qu.jpg

I think it's clear, at the moment, Ray tracing sacrifices too much performance.

Hopefully, at least in the console space, we'll need to wait until next next gen with XsXX and PS6.

Last edited:

Xyphie

It's probably running in real time whilst this V

is not, there is no point in showing something like the star wars video, this is videogames not movies so we need to see what real time will look like.

You can download it right here...

Ascend

2020 and people still dont know what a tech demo is.

*omg everything so shiny blah blah blah*

But at the end of the day, nothing can showcase RT goals like a lot of reflective surfaces, and this showcases it perfectly.
To be fair, they just called it a demo and not a tech demo.

Additionally, the knowledgeable ones will understand the purpose of this. The majority will not. People will google nVidia RT and AMD RT, see nVidia's and AMD's demo videos, and immediately conclude that nVidia is better. Whether people understand or not, it unintentionally creates a bad image for AMD. One that they really cannot use right now, and neither can the gaming community as a whole. nVidia is too dominant as it is.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This looks absolutely stunning. But what I really want is something new in terms of gameplay. And, frankly, I don't think the jump is good enough. The evolution of hardware itself isn't as great as it used to be, and on top of that, you have diminishing returns. A lot of people are impressed, and I'm one of them. But a lot of people won't really care. It's just not as impressive as it used to be.

VFXVeteran

Banned
They only show reflections. In rendering, reflections aren't complete mirrors for every surface. This demo destroys the rendering equation by not conserving energy and the there doesn't appear to be any fresnel factor. I hope they demo the most important aspect of RT - global illumination and shadowing - soon.

Last edited:
It's probably running in real time whilst this V

is not, there is no point in showing something like the star wars video, this is videogames not movies so we need to see what real time will look like.

You can download it right here...

Diddy X Diddy X BTFO :messenger_tears_of_joy:
love it when ppl talk out of their ass

Arkam

That uncanny valley feeling when you notice the reflections are all way lower res than scene and animated at a faction of the speed. Still cool, just cant unsee it.

Tripolygon

Banned
This is a demo of; So i heard you like reflections, so i put a reflection in your reflection so you can reflect while you reflect.

Still impressive though.

Zannegan

I was hoping we were looking at a 100% raytraced scene, but alas.

Looks like we still have a long way to go before even mixed raytracing/rasterization is going to be ready for use in every game, let alone full RT.

ZywyPL

Banned
The comments on this demo only shows how fucking clueless many people are, and you kids dare to argue which console is better LMFAO.

A slide from PS5 presentation greatly represents what's what:

Going from left to right, an RT-based audio requires little-to-no processing power, literally. GI is obviously more demanding, as shown in Gears 5 or Crytec's demo, it can as well be a software solution running on shader processors, but moving thise calculations on RT cores greatly increases the performance. Shadows require quite moderate processing power, and as shown in CoD:MW, if all RT capabilities will go solely on that aspect, we can bet basically perfect shadows with little to o performance penaty, as a 2080Ti still runs the game at 4K60 or 200-240FPF at FHD. Now reflections, this is where the hardest part starts, this if what puts BF5 or Controls on their knees, it's simply THAT demanding, the only more demanding calculation is a fully ray traced scene, but that's Hollywood stuff made on tens of thousands of CPUs.

So with that being said, this AMD demo is basically full of mirrors, with infinite light bounces back and forth, and it just runs, in real-time. Aesthetically sure, it's not impressing, it reminds me of the very first glimpse of current generation that KZ:SF gave us, but tech wise it's on a whole new level. Actual games obviously won't be full of mirrors/shiny surfaces like the demo, but that just shows that RT in next-gen titles is more than possible.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The comments on this demo only shows how fucking clueless many people are, and you kids dare to argue which console is better LMFAO.

Going from left to right, an RT-based audio requires little-to-no processing power, literally. GI is obviously more demanding, as shown in Gears 5 or Crytec's demo, it can as well be a software solution running on shader processors, but moving thise calculations on RT cores greatly increases the performance. Shadows require quite moderate processing power, and as shown in CoD:MW, if all RT capabilities will go solely on that aspect, we can bet basically perfect shadows with little to o performance penaty, as a 2080Ti still runs the game at 4K60 or 200-240FPF at FHD. Now reflections, this is where the hardest part starts, this if what puts BF5 or Controls on their knees, it's simply THAT demanding, the only more demanding calculation is a fully ray traced scene, but that's Hollywood stuff made on tens of thousands of CPUs.

So with that being said, this AMD demo is basically full of mirrors, with infinite light bounces back and forth, and it just runs, in real-time. Aesthetically sure, it's not impressing, it reminds me of the very first glimpse of current generation that KZ:SF gave us, but tech wise it's on a whole new level. Actual games obviously won't be full of mirrors/shiny surfaces like the demo, but that just shows that RT in next-gen titles is more than possible.
Exactly. Your regular game with two or three reflective surfaces can actually run at 60 fps easily with AMD raytracing for DXR. That's the takeaway here. The point is to create a stress test, not to create something that's aesthetically pleasing.

LordKasual

Banned

Thank you.

Reminds me of this:

And while developers are praising the lighting, soft shadows, skin, reflections, ect, there's a wave of idiots who have nothing to comment on except the model used and the animation fidelity.

Last edited:

oldergamer

AMD still has a way to go with creating tech demos. Just the quality level compared to Nvidia demos says it all.

Overall from a technical point it is impressive, as they have every surface reflection rendering at interactive frame rates.

However, no game or CG artist would choose something so ghastly.

Armorian

Banned

Yeah but aside from heavy use of RT reflections all other parts od this demo look bad, that's why people are complaining. Port Royal does the same things but looks better:

ZywyPL

Banned
Yeah but aside from heavy use of RT reflections all other parts od this demo look bad, that's why people are complaining. Port Royal does the same things but looks better:

Hopefully RDNA2-based GPUs come soon enough so we can run them through some actual benchmarks and games, and get a glimpse of next-gen consoles RT performance.

Kenpachii

The tech demo does exactly what its supposed to do.

I see no issue here.

Pretty good to see AMD also pushing into the raytracing market. However its clear as night and day that raytracing is just not ready.

Armorian

Banned
Hopefully RDNA2-based GPUs come soon enough so we can run them through some actual benchmarks and games, and get a glimpse of next-gen consoles RT performance.

I really wonder how it will perform compared to Nvidia solution :unsure: I have high hopes but AMD usually under delivers in GPU space...

Top Bottom