• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American GIs pose and smile for photo with dead Afghan civilians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long article but pictures of these men were being circulated around on thumb drives among the platoon members. Soldier sent message to his parents that his sergeant murdered one civilian and were planning to kill more but was told to keep quiet. He also feared they would retaliate if he didn't. The man standing accused invoked his Fifth amendment right.

Obviously investigation is new and facts are subject to change but none of this looks good. Simply disgusting human beings.

Article here

Graphic photos showing U.S. troops posing with dead Afghans were published by a German news organization Monday, with one showing a soldier smiling as he held a bloodied and partially clothed corpse.

The photos published by Der Spiegel were among several seized by Army investigators looking into the deaths of three unarmed Afghans last year. Five soldiers based at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, south of Seattle, have been charged with murder and conspiracy in the case.

Der Spiegel did not respond to requests for comment on Monday. It wasn't known how the organization obtained copies of the photos.

Editions with the photos were on newsstands Monday. Der Spiegel is not making them available to other news organizations.

Officials involved in the courts-martial had issued a strict protective order, seeking to severely limit access to the photographs due to their sensitive nature. Some defense teams had been granted copies but were not allowed to disseminate them.

The Der Speigel investigation unearthed about 4,000 pictures and videos by the accused, Britain's Guardian newspaper reported.

"Today Der Spiegel published photographs depicting actions repugnant to us as human beings and contrary to the standards and values of the United States Army," the Army said in a statement released by Col. Thomas Collins. "We apologize for the distress these photos cause."

One of the published photographs shows a key figure in the investigation, Cpl. Jeremy Morlock of Wasilla, Alaska, grinning as he lifts the head of a corpse by the hair. Der Spiegel identified the body as that of Gul Mudin, whom Morlock was charged with killing on Jan. 15, 2010, in Kandahar Province.

Fearing an upswell of public rage at the photographs, foreign organizations in Afghanistan braced for their release, the Guardian reported. Many put their foreign workers on "lockdown," meaning that all movement around Kabul was banned and people had to stay in their compound, the newspaper said.

Another photo shows Pvt. 1st Class Andrew Holmes, of Boise, Idaho, holding the head of the same corpse. His lawyer, Daniel Conway, said Sunday that Holmes was ordered "to be in the photo, so he got in the photo. That doesn't make him a murderer."

The photo was taken while the platoon leader, Lt. Roman Ligsay, was present, Conway said. Ligsay has asserted his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in refusing to testify in the legal proceedings against his troops.

Conway sought copies of the photographs so that he could present them to a ballistics expert, who he argued might be able to tell whether the victim had been struck by the weapon Holmes was carrying. His request was rejected.

"I'm very disappointed that in an American judicial proceeding, I have to get potentially exculpatory evidence from a German newspaper," Conway said.

A third photo depicts two apparently dead men propped against a small pillar. Der Spiegel said the photo was seized from a member of the platoon, but did not involve the deaths being investigated as war crimes. Soldiers have told investigators that such photos of dead bodies were passed around like trading cards on thumb drives and other digital storage devices.

The killings at issue occurred during patrols in January, February and May 2010. After the first death, one member of the platoon, Spc. Adam Winfield, sent Facebook messages to his parents, telling them his colleagues had slaughtered one civilian, were planning to kill more and warned him to keep quiet about it.

His father notified a staff sergeant at Lewis-McChord, but no action was taken until May, when a witness in a drug investigation in the unit separately reported the deaths. Winfield is accused of participating in the final killing.

Morlock has given extensive statements claiming the murder plot was led by Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs of Billings, Mont.; Gibbs maintains the killings were legitimate.
Morlock told investigators he threw a grenade and Holmes shot Mudin without cause; Holmes says that he fired when Morlock told him to, believing that Morlock had perceived a legitimate threat.

Morlock's court martial was scheduled for Wednesday. He has agreed to plead guilty to murder, conspiracy and other charges and to testify against his co-defendants in exchange for a maximum sentence of 24 years in prison.

Meanwhile, military judge Lt. Col. Kwasi Hawks ruled late last week that Winfield can present evidence at his court martial that he tried to blow the whistle on the violence.
Prosecutors had tried to bar evidence that he sent the messages to his family.

Winfield has given a videotaped statement saying he took part in the final killing because he was afraid other soldiers might kill him if he didn't. However, the judge sided with prosecutors on whether to suppress Winfield's videotaped statement as coerced.

In addition to the five soldiers charged in the deaths, seven soldiers in the platoon were charged with lesser crimes, including assaulting the witness in the drug investigation, drug use, firing on unarmed farmers and stabbing a corpse.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what other outcome do people actually expect if they pose/make fun of a corpse and get foto'd doing it? I mean, it's despicable and so forth, but it's actually the stupidity that surprises me more than the evil.

Xater

catfish said:
what other outcome do people actually expect if they pose/make fun of a corpse and get foto'd doing it? I mean, it's despicable and so forth, but it's actually the stupidity that surprises me more than the evil.

I always wonder what the thought process is that leads to them thinking it's a good idea.

Vagabundo

Xater said:
I always wonder what the thought process is that leads to them thinking it's a good idea.

I think they live in a bubble out there. Civilised norms go out the window. Maybe they believed they could do whatever they wanted.

It is hard for most -- non sociopathic -- people to kill. They have to dehumanise their targets.

the dumb part was letting this stuff get out. But we can't expect to send young men to foreign countries with the main goal being to kill other humans and expect them to still act civilized and normal.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Ninja Scooter said:
the dumb part was letting this stuff get out. But we can't expect to send young men to foreign countries with the main goal being to kill other humans and expect them to still act civilized and normal.

I swear I've seen you make this post before, probably for something similar.

The Deja Vu.

I don't like our military members being called GI's, but that's beside the point. Let's just say, I'm not surprised.

Detox

Vagabundo said:
I think they live in a bubble out there. Civilised norms go out the window. Maybe they believed they could do whatever they wanted.

It is hard for most -- non sociopathic -- people to kill. They have to dehumanise their targets.

Well I think it also has something to do with the group mentality and going along with their comrades not be seen as cowards or betraying them. This experiment although not conclusive is interesting to read in that regard.
Milgram Experiment

Josh7289

Fucked up shit, war is.

And the worst part is I don't expect American soldiers to stop this kind of thing until they're no longer over there. Or hell, even when they return I could see how some of them would be fucked up enough to do it in the US, too.

Who gives a shit anymore? I mean really?
You can't send men into hell and expect them not to turn in to demons.
Get them the fuck out of there already, jeez.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
From the comments section:

"Trophy hunting is an ego thing. It is perfectly natural among good troops and fine for their morale."

wtf

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Wonderful, I'm glad my tax dollars continue to fund this awful war.

Looking forward to the US charging this kid with treason and "emboldening the enemy" and sentencing him to death.

the chris

I think the worst part of this story(besides the obvious lack of respect for human bodies that they deserve) is that this paints all the American soldiers over there as assholes and not just the ones who are actual assholes.

jhynoh.jpg

Hey, photographer! You want to take a good picture? Here, man, take this. This is my bro.

Ninja Scooter said:
But we can't expect to send young men to foreign countries with the main goal being to kill other humans and expect them to still act civilized and normal.

This.
I expect there are many members of the armed forces on gaf and I have no doubt that they are honourable men and women. I know the majority of the armed forces are not like these people in this news story.
However, I'm not surprised when men and women in this type of environment crack. I can't imagine the mental fortitude some soldiers must possess.
This behaviour is wrong and they should be punished but I don't think it's surprising.

Dude Abides

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:

But that's what a professional army is supposed to do - maintain professionalism and some sense of being civilized even in a war zone.

msv

Ninja Scooter said:
Killing people isn't their main goal, what the fuck kind of goal is that even? And yes, we can expect them to act professionally, shit like this destroys morale even. The more professional you can present/instruct it to the soldiers, the better their morale and performance.

There goes the army again apologizing for allowing their soldiers to get away with sick shit.
Oh, you! Sorry makes everything better! Tee hee! *playfully pushes army in the arm*

daw840

Arcane Hayter said:
Who gives a shit anymore? I mean really?
You can't send men into hell and expect them not to turn in to demons.
Get them the fuck out of there already, jeez.
A lot of truth in this post.

Dude Abides

Banned
I'm surprised so many have such a dim view of soldiers to think that they all turn into "demons" if they're in a war zone.

Things like this are good news. It pushes us one step closer to getting everyone out of there and back home.
I'd say this more than anything, like it's been repeated, this isn't even close to unique behavior. Just a symptom. (Of what though?)

daw840

Dude Abides said:
I'm surprised so many have such a dim view of soldiers to think that they all turn into "demons" if they're in a war zone.

I think it's not so much about just being in a war zone, I think it's the length of time one is there. We've been at this for what 10 years now? Plus it's a war that is an unpopular one. That kind of thing will break anyone down after a while.

afternoon delight said:
I'd say this more than anything, like it's been repeated, this isn't even close to unique behavior. Just a symptom. (Of what though?)
I'd say its a symptom of being sent to a foreign country and being forced to kill other human beings.
I've never killed anyone but I can imagine that its a traumatic experience no matter how much you try to play it off or justify it.

Update

JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Washington — A 22-year-old soldier accused of taking a lead role in a brutal plot to murder Afghan civilians pleaded guilty Wednesday in a case that involves some of the most serious criminal allegations to arise from the U.S. war in Afghanistan.

Spc. Jeremy Morlock, of Wasilla, Alaska, had earlier agreed to plead guilty to three counts of murder, one count of conspiracy to commit assault and battery, and one count of illegal drug use in exchange for a maximum sentence of 24 years.

Morlock is one of five soldiers from Joint Base Lewis-McChord's 5th Stryker Brigade charged in the killings of three unarmed Afghan men in Kandahar province in January, February and May 2010.

Morlock was the first of the five men to face a trial, known in the military as a court-martial — which Geoffrey Nathan, one of his lawyers, characterized as an advantage.

"The first up gets the best deal," he said by phone Tuesday, noting that even under the maximum sentence, Morlock would serve no more than eight years before becoming eligible for parole.

According to a copy of the plea agreement obtained by The Associated Press, Morlock has agreed to testify against his co-defendants. In his plea deal, Morlock said he and others slaughtered the three civilians knowing that they were unarmed and posed no legitimate threat.

He also described lobbing a grenade at the civilian in the January incident while another soldier shot at him, and then lying about it to his squad leader.

The court-martial comes days after a German news organization, Der Spiegel, published three graphic photos showing Morlock and other soldiers posing with dead Afghans. One image features Morlock grinning as he lifts the head of a corpse by its hair.

Army officials had sought to strictly limit access to the photographs due to their sensitive nature. A spokesman for the magazine declined to say how it had obtained the pictures, citing the need to protect its sources.

Morlock told investigators the murder plot was led by Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs, of Billings, Montana, who is also charged in the case; Gibbs maintains the reasons behind the killings were legitimate.

Nathan said Morlock's mother and hockey coach are among the witnesses who might testify on his behalf in court. He indicated the defense would argue that a lack of leadership in the unit contributed to the killings.

"He's really a good kid. This is just a bad war at a bad time in our country's history," Nathan said. "There was a lack of supervision, a lack of command control, the environment was terrible. In his mind, he had no choice."

After the January killing, platoon member Spc. Adam Winfield, of Cape Coral, Florida, sent Facebook messages to his parents saying that his fellow soldiers had murdered a civilian and were planning to kill more. Winfield said his colleagues warned him not to tell anyone.
Winfield's father alerted a staff sergeant at Lewis-McChord, which is south of Seattle, but no action was taken until May, when a witness in a drug investigation in the unit also reported the deaths.

Winfield is accused of participating in the final murder. He admitted in a videotaped interview that he took part and said he feared the others might kill him if he didn't.
Also charged in the murders are Pvt. 1st Class Andrew Holmes of Boise, Idaho, and Spc. Michael Wagnon II of Las Vegas.

Seven other soldiers in the platoon are charged with lesser crimes, including assaulting the witness in the drug investigation, drug use, firing on unarmed farmers and stabbing a corpse.

Got off easy. 8 years before parole? I hope he is denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom