• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

If I was being snarky, I would ask if you had even watched the episode. He's in shock for most of the episode. The sound direction when he walks back to his cell is key in that he can't really hear or process anything. Then you have him generally being frustrated during the airline segment leading to him screaming at the park. Not to mention the bar fight served as an emotional release for him as up to that point he was internally dealing with everything and the fight with the Leprechaun allowed him to vent his anger. Hell, he has a huge rant to Laura at her grave.

Come on.
Well that'd be a stupid thing for you to say, since I've detailed numerous plot points in the episode, but it's a good thing you decided not to be snarky.

Come on.

I appreciate some book readers say that his non-reaction is part and parcel to his character in the books. I'm coming from the POV of a non-book reader, so I can only comment on what happened in this episode.

He's never sad once after hearing his wife - who he just said I love you to - has died. Not once.

Shock is a good explanation for his immediate reaction with the warden. I think a lot of people would have a similar reaction in that scenario.

It's when he starts casually chatting with Wednesday on the plane, politely talks to the airport lady, to the bartender lady, puts up with Wednesday in the bar again...

I'm not seeing where this show is telling me that he cares that his wife has died.

Then he learns that she died giving another man a blowjob, so from that point on he's of course furious with her.

I don't know what's going to happen in episode 2 and on... I can only comment about my perception of the show's failure to attach its viewers to the protagonist.

Corpekata

Banned
"He's never sad once after hearing his wife - who he just said I love you to - has died. Not once."

Did you miss the scene where he like parks his car and literally screams at the world?

And the scene at the airport is clearly him being right at the edge of snapping but managing to bottle things up so he doesn't get in trouble like the lesson his prison friend imparted to him.

Not

Banned
That first episode was great but it ended at a weird time. We should've seen who killed the faceless minions before it cut to credits.

Nobility

Banned
Just watched the pilot.

Jmg6Riu.gif

This sums my thoughts.

Wow.

Really enjoyed the first episode, very faithful to the book and how I imagined it when I read it. I like how manic it all feels with the incidental music and editing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
No such thing as a simple scene transition on this show. Lol

Episode 2 was great.
Peter Stormare plays overbearing scumbag types so well lol. The intro was amazing as well. I hope every episode opens with a Coming to America scene.

I wonder if the pitch for this American Gods was "Remember Will Graham's encephalitis hallucinations in Hannibal? Yeah, 1 hour of that."

hydruxo

No such thing as a simple scene transition on this show. Lol

Episode 2 was great.
Peter Stormare plays overbearing scumbag types so well lol. The intro was amazing as well. I hope every episode opens with a Coming to America scene.

I wonder if the pitch for this American Gods was "Remember Will Graham's encephalitis hallucinations in Hannibal? Yeah, 1 hour of that."

The way
Peter says "Is good?" is so perfect lol. He's an amazing Czernobog.

VeeP

Second episode was solid. A lot of build up, beautiful cinematography and amazing acting. I've never read the book, so for me it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger.

Second episode was great. Loved the Anansi opening and Stormare makes a terrific Czernobog.

I think this is gonna be one those show whose opening I will never skip.

diaspora

Well that'd be a stupid thing for you to say, since I've detailed numerous plot points in the episode, but it's a good thing you decided not to be snarky.

Come on.

I appreciate some book readers say that his non-reaction is part and parcel to his character in the books. I'm coming from the POV of a non-book reader, so I can only comment on what happened in this episode.

He's never sad once after hearing his wife - who he just said I love you to - has died. Not once.

Shock is a good explanation for his immediate reaction with the warden. I think a lot of people would have a similar reaction in that scenario.

It's when he starts casually chatting with Wednesday on the plane, politely talks to the airport lady, to the bartender lady, puts up with Wednesday in the bar again...

I'm not seeing where this show is telling me that he cares that his wife has died.

Then he learns that she died giving another man a blowjob, so from that point on he's of course furious with her.

I don't know what's going to happen in episode 2 and on... I can only comment about my perception of the show's failure to attach its viewers to the protagonist.

Beyond driving out to that park and screaming? In episode 2
he dreams of her and wakes up sobbing.

Second episode was great. With this, Fargo and Better Call Saul we are really being treated to some of the best TV around.

Edit: Usually when I know the story already, it has an negative impact on my enjoyment of the adaptation, but with this it hasn't bothered me at all. Really good show.

jett

D-Member
This show is fascinating to watch. I usually don't like not knowing what the hell's going on, but American Gods is good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not really a fan of the opening it
changes Anansi a lot. He's a trickster god not a vengeance god. I guess this is why they cast someone younger when he looked like Wednesday's age in the book.

Man the whole scene with the (late ep 1 spoiler)
faceless men in colony era outfits beating and hanging him
had this extremely fucked up beauty to it. As expected from fuller after Hannibal

Kazuhira

I had no idea that Gillian Anderson was is in this,oh boy what a lovely surprise.
Glad to see some familiar faces from Hannibal,i was smiling like an idiot.

man though some of this photography or cinematography whatever it is. certainly getting to over indulgence level of artistic endeavor.

Top Bottom