• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

besada

Banned
I liked that they made Anansi kind of a dick. It was a great speech and all, but the upshot was he convinced a boat full of people to sacrifice themselves in his name. Trickster indeed.

I continue to enjoy the show. Seeing Czernobog and the sisters was great.

Also, a surprising amount of erect penis. And how has nobody giffed the cosmic penis shot yet?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I liked that they made Anansi kind of a dick. It was a great speech and all, but the upshot was he convinced a boat full of people to sacrifice themselves in his name. Trickster indeed.

A lot of the gods are kind of evil so far - Odin made the Vikings stab their eyes out and kill each other in battle, Bilquis is eating (killing?) people with her vagina vacuum, Anansi got a bunch of people to burn themselves alive, Czernobog takes pleasure in killing cows and wants to bash Shadow's head in...

A lot of the gods are kind of evil so far - Odin made the Vikings stab their eyes out and kill each other in battle, Bilquis is eating (killing?) people with her vagina vacuum, Anansi got a bunch of people to burn themselves alive, Czernobog takes pleasure in killing cows and wants to bash Shadow's head in...

The myth gods seem to demand sacrifice to exist, while those who are more personifications require they be used or consumed. Or as Media put it more succinctly: "Time and attention, better than lamb's blood"

Siegcram

I don't think disregard for human or animal life makes them evil per se.

It makes them, well, gods. At least in the sense of the old days when actual sacrifices were a thing. The only outright malicious asshole so far has been Technical Boy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sorry, but seeing Martha play Old God Martha just made me laugh any time she was on screen, damn you Baskets.

I knew that was her! If they could somehow work a Costco reference into a future episode I would die.
unless they already did....was the store that Shadow met Media in a Costco??? :O

Yes, especially if the casting info for this season is correct.

Yesss

kAmui-

I continue to enjoy the show. Seeing Czernobog and the sisters was great.

Also, a surprising amount of erect penis. And how has nobody giffed the cosmic penis shot yet?

Here ya go. As soon as I saw that I knew it had to be a gif.

Watching the first episode and knew the sex scene would look as silly as it sounded

I always wondered how that was going to work. I didn't imagine they would shrink, but I didn't imagine her vagina would grow to an enormous size either *shrugs*.

They didn't make them do anything. They chose to do those things which is what makes them sacrifices and not murders. As for Czernobog: He *is* the god of evil... albeit somewhat morally grey these days (which he mentions).

Sir Doom

Great opening. Really sucked you in
Oh wow I thought they would do modern interpretation of Lucy, and Gillian oh damn. Also Peter Stormare. Great casting

The book was more subtle with the reveal. As a tv show I really thought they will do slow reveal.

Monocle

I'm going to write a bunch of impressions because I really liked this second episode.

Great opening scene. Between Technical Boy and Anansi, this show is doing a great job of modernizing the book's archetypes and readjusting certain narrative and thematic elements to have a contemporary punch.

Shadow Moon's actor Ricky Whittle is one serious hunk. That bath scene, whew. And his tight Motel America shirt after that. And his guns in the checkers scene later on. Yes. I think probably after his next shower he shouldn't put a shirt on again until his injuries are completely healed. I mean to avoid painful chafing against the bruised skin and such, not for any other kind of reason that concerns my interests specifically. That'd be for, what, a good half a season? A long time for a principal character to go shirtless, but the best shows don't shy away from long term commitment when there's an opportunity to enhance the verisimilitude or whatever.

It's interesting that the show is saving the whole subplot with
Shadow's wife
for later. Not so much as a hint of it yet, as far as I noticed.

Damn, wow, an actual dick pic. As much as I like to kid around about male nudity, I really do appreciate when shows don't pussyfoot around when it might make actual sense to flash a man's genitals. If women's bodies are fair game for casual tittilation and objectification, then I'm pretty sure modern audiences can get over themselves and deal with a man's junk for two seconds. I appreciate that the show didn't shy away from a frank depiction of reality in an appropriate context. Cool.

This show has a neat vibe that fits its theme of gods in modern America. I noticed that this episode was a little more restrained in its use of fantastical imagery. I felt less of a disconnect between the style and the story compared to the premiere.

Media's intro was so badass! A nice and fitting change of setting, from the TV in the motel of the book to the electronics aisle of a giant supermarket in the show. It's interesting that her monologue was barely altered even though it originally referred to a sequence that hasn't happened yet.

I like how Mr. Wednesday threw the cell phones out the window and then soliloquized about pre-digital forms of communication even though "2 cell phones" was totally on that shopping list.

The scene in the cosmic innards of Bilquist was awesome. Her scenes after that were awesome. Eyes boring straight into the screen while her statue looms in the background. I like this character's expanded role. Yetide Badaki is gorgeous.

Oh, and there was another dick! And it wasn't attached to a hunk! I don't know if this is unprecedented on TV, but at the least it's really damn rare for show not to be squeamish about this kind of thing. Thank you Bryan Fuller and co.

That little moment when Zorya looks at Shadow like he stepped off the cover of one of her romance novels was hilarious. So well played. This lady knows what's up.

Czernobog is perfect. Different than how I imagined from the book, but so so good. The whole atmosphere of the apartment had this nice quaint texture. Just the right setting for Czernobog to sweep in and steal the show.

That closing line, lol.

I'm not sure if you guys noticed, but American Gods is awesome. I really wish I could marathon the whole season right now.

Watching the first episode and knew the sex scene would look as silly as it sounded
I would have been totally down for her labia stretching over and around the victim like the book scene, but I suppose the creatives didn't want to go for full-on body horror. The censors are already letting them get away with murder.

Kazuhira

I feel like Czernobog is going to be my favourite character.
The bastard kills cows with a sledgehammer and i still like him, so i guess he is really THAT awesome if i can overlook that lol.

Monocle

The coin on the grave.
I mean yeah, I did think about that but
I kind of expected at least a shadow or a noise to indicate she's out in the world at this point
. But I guess there's no reason that
the coin
shouldn't count as a hint.

I'm not complaining or anything. The second episode had quite enough to get through without introducing that extra complication.

DeviantBoi

There's been full frontal male nudity in shows in the past, but I don't think I've ever seen any of them fully erect, right?

hydruxo

I feel like Czernobog is going to be my favourite character.
The bastard kills cows with a sledgehammer and i still like him, so i guess he is really THAT awesome if i can overlook that lol.

Is good?

Czernobog was always a fave of mine from the book, and Peter literally brought him to life out of the pages of the book IMO. So great.

There's been full frontal male nudity in shows in the past, but I don't think I've ever seen any of them fully erect, right?

I think HBO's Tell Me You Love Me had erect penises, but if I recall, they may have been prosthetic and not the actual actor's erect penis.

But that's the only other examples I can think of.

Luke_Wal

I LOVE the book, and I want to watch the show, but I don't have a whole lot of money. When the show is over in two or three months (presumably it's a 13 episode season?), will I be able to just subscribe to Starz through Amazon or whatever and watch the whole season at once?

I LOVE the book, and I want to watch the show, but I don't have a whole lot of money. When the show is over in two or three months (presumably it's a 13 episode season?), will I be able to just subscribe to Starz through Amazon or whatever and watch the whole season at once?
Yeah. You can subscribe for a month.

RS4-

I knew that was her! If they could somehow work a Costco reference into a future episode I would die.
unless they already did....was the store that Shadow met Media in a Costco??? :O

Yesss

The store is Canadian Tire. A shitty store.

hydruxo

You can also wait until all episodes (there's 8 total) air and use the 7 day free trial and binge them all in that week. Then just cancel the trial before it charges you. Neil Gaiman was even suggesting people do that if they don't mind waiting / are short on cash.

I wouldnt classify Odin and Anansi's actions as evil. The former didnt make the Vikings do anything, and the latter was less "make them burn themselves alive" and more "inspire them to take action and fight back, rather than die as slaves"

Bilquis is the only one I'd describe so far as overtly evil, or at least predatory

Yeah anansi is a trickster god, but he is not evil. If he were evil he could have outright lied to them. Or tell them the truth and just leave laughing after seeing the look on their face

Why are we spoiler-marking stuff that's aired?

Not really a fan of the opening it
changes Anansi a lot. He's a trickster god not a vengeance god. I guess this is why they cast someone younger when he looked like Wednesday's age in the book.

Well, note that he gets everyone burned, but he himself gets by scott free. A bit meaner than Anansi of lore, but still a trickster.

Golnei

The first episode was still enjoyable, but I agree that the show really solidified here - the adaptation of Media's scene was night and day from the kind of awkward Technical Boy scene from the last episode, and Czernobog, Zorya Vechernyaya and Anansi were absolutely perfect. I really hope they can keep this up, I never thought the book would see an adaptation that works so well.

Anansi! Yesssssss

Spit that fire.

And my husband didn't recognize Gillian Anderson at all, despite having a huge crush on her. She did amazing.

*ponders changing avatar *

I didn't recognize her and I love her lol. Hell I didn't know it was her until today and this thread.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's going to be really hard to get an Anansi Boys adaptation going if this is the direction they took with Anansi. You could say Anansi Boys was sacrificed on the altar of episode 2.

They're gods. They're beyond good and evil. Or at least, they're no more evil than the ones who created them.

This show has been absolutely great so far. Staying true to the source material and updating and making it more relevant to current events when appropriate. If it keeps this up, this could be something really special.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That Anansi scene was VERY interesting to me since he had knowledge of the future and was a walking, talking anachronism. I'm glad they played it that way. It might've​ come off hokey otherwise.

Lee

I mean yeah, I did think about that but
I kind of expected at least a shadow or a noise to indicate she's out in the world at this point
. But I guess there's no reason that
the coin
shouldn't count as a hint.

I'm not complaining or anything. The second episode had quite enough to get through without introducing that extra complication.

Preview of next episode shows Mad Sweeney at her grave. So we're getting there.

Also: Is good.

Luke_Wal

I'm waiting until the end of the season to watch (as recommended above), but is this season going in a way where it will take multiple seasons to adapt the book, or is it 8 episodes for the one book?

Lee

I'm waiting until the end of the season to watch (as recommended above), but is this season going in a way where it will take multiple seasons to adapt the book, or is it 8 episodes for the one book?

Multiple seasons. As many as 5 if it's a hit. But they've said the first season takes you through roughly 1/3 of the book.

Jocund

Did Shadow really not notice the fat dick on the dresser before snooping through his wife's phone? Or am I missing something as to how tablets work.

Is important question. I must know

Golnei

Did Shadow really not notice the fat dick on the dresser before snooping through his wife's phone? Or am I missing something as to how tablets work.

It was a metaphysical partially hallucinated dick.

hydruxo

I think it was just to illustrate Shadow being pissed and not being able to get that visual out of his head. The picture wasn't really on the dresser.

It was a take on that "You see 'thing' anywhere after it happens". It wasn't actually on it lol.

Jocund

Oh okay! Hallucination was my first inclination but that shot was so quick I wasn't totally sure. And with how the wife's been characterized so far I couldn't put it past her that she'd display a dick pic in plain sight.

Top Bottom