• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

molnizzle

That may be my favorite opening to a show since GoT. Just so intense. Totally conveys the tension and menace that oozes out of the show.

You mean that initial scene with the vikings, right? Surely you don't mean the dreadfully bland opening credits sequence.

Meier

Outlander's intro is the best one on TV. Could listen to that song any and every day of the week. Perfectly encapsulates the show.

Memorable opening credits have at least a bit of music you can hum. Even if only for a few seconds.

Game of Thrones, Westworld, Outlander, etc. Great, memorable credits.

American Gods credits = nothing but trash.

Ironically the same people who made GoT and WW made this one and you easily tell. So your 'bland' comment should also apply to them. And why does a good opening credit require a track you can hum?

That may be my favorite opening to a show since GoT. Just so intense. Totally conveys the tension and menace that oozes out of the show.

Edit: Anyone have any good Podcasts for the show? Seems like it would be perfect for this type of show.
It's one of my favorites alongside GoT, Westworld, and Black Sails

molnizzle

Ironically the same people who made GoT and WW made this one and you easily tell. So your 'bland' comment should also apply to them. And why does a good opening credit require a track you can hum?

The music is what makes it memorable. Without at least a bit of a melody, intro sequences like this are just visual masturbation with some names on the screen.

Another series with an absolute garbage intro: Hannibal.

The music is what makes it memorable. Without at least a bit of a melody, intro sequences like this are just visual masturbation with some names on the screen.

Imagery is what makes it memorable, music can help enhance that imagery

molnizzle

Imagery is what makes it memorable, music can help enhance that imagery

Imagery helps, but it's not the most important part. A memorable intro requires at least one melodious sequence that your brain could recall if someone played it on a piano. The music is the entire point.

Imagery helps, but it's not the most important part. A memorable intro requires at least one melodious sequence that your brain could recall if someone played it on a piano. The music is the entire point.
Absolutely not. Imagery first, along with the music. Or imagery and music together. The whole point is that the imagery and design of the title sequence evolved over time. The imagery and the tone that imagery evokes is what's important. The music certainly helps, but it's nothing with the imagery of the opening.

Check these out:
http://www.artofthetitle.com
https://www.wired.com/2017/03/tv-opening-titles-got-damn-good/

KarmaCow

Like GoT's intro, it goes on for far too long. It's also exhausting to watch with the strobing lights and an odd contrast to the rest of the show which has no problem with letting moments just sit on screen.

molnizzle

Absolutely not. Imagery first, along with the music. Or imagery and music together. The whole point is that the imagery and design of the title sequence evolved over time. The imagery and the tone that imagery evokes is what's important. The music certainly helps, but it's nothing with the imagery of the opening.

Check these out:
http://www.artofthetitle.com
https://www.wired.com/2017/03/tv-opening-titles-got-damn-good/

I mean, that's nice for you if that's what you're looking for. Personally I don't see a purpose for an intro sequence without a melody. I'd rather have one of those short, 5-second title cards if there isn't gonna be music. The music is an intro sequence's entire reason for existence. The music should come first—the visuals should be adjusted to match it.

That's when the truly memorable intros make their impact. The fusion of music and imagery.

I mean, that's nice for you if that's what you're looking for. Personally I don't see a purpose for an intro sequence without a melody. I'd rather have one of those short, 5-second title cards if there isn't gonna be music. The music is an intro sequence's entire reason for existence.
It's not. Check out Art of the Title, and what the actual title sequence designers think about and focus on when they create those sequences

So, Wednesday is
Odin
, right? Chernobog called him
Wotan
and a friend whose from Denmark told me that Wednesday is
Odinsday
in danish. Plus something seems fucked up with his
eye
, although that could just be Ian McShane being old...

Veelk

Banned
So, Wednesday is
Odin
, right? Chernobog called him
Wotan
and a friend whose from Denmark told me that Wednesday is
Odinsday
in danish. Plus something seems fucked up with his
eye
, although that could just be Ian McShane being old...

---------Yes----------

Moff

episode 1 already had the eye comment but episode 2 made it really clear by calling him wotan

also: I absolutely love the intro, definitely one of the best ever for a tv show

I disagree completely. The imagery is infinitely more interesting than any music you can put it to. The American Gods one uses a lot of in-story references and allusions that can spawn discussion and speculation.

So you're going to just dismiss people who designed the sequences for Game of Thrones, Westworld, Outlander, Black Sails, etc.?

I mean they are a VFX company and it is their work to make the visuals while someone else composes the music. Naturally they hare restricted in terms of what the music is going to be and dedicate their efforts in the imagery and visual metaphors of the opening. What else can they say? They have been getting better at it. Visually this is one of their bests.

Skilletor

Like I said, if you are a pothole worry wart that can't handle "hand waving," seriously, this show is not for you. It's a surreal tale. The events on that ship don't even have to be true. They might be a story Anansi told. He lies a lot.

The scene established his character, a God, willing to take advantage of anyone in order to be worshipped. Moreover, it established America as an inherently evil new world, which jives with the rise of the American Gods. Northing has to be logic based, canon, or even consistent. Reality is flexible as hell in this world. That goes for both American Gods and Anansi Boys.

Surrealism might just not be your bag. That's cool.

Nah, ep 2 spoilers:

Dude straight up said "You're still getting fucked out of jobs and shot at by police." That's not lying. That's clairvoyance.

It was way too on the nose, lazy writing, and doesn't add anything to the story. They already worshipped him, that's why they were praying to Anansi. We already know America is inherently evil because, hello, they're fucking slaves. It pretty much looks like he can time travel, which is just...silly. It just doesn't make sense. Didn't feel in line with Anansi at all.

Handwaving legit criticsm as it's just "not for you," is annoying as hell. I loved the book. I love the show so far. Anansi is a blemish in what has been pretty much perfect for me.

Yonafunu

It's going to be really hard to get an Anansi Boys adaptation going if this is the direction they took with Anansi. You could say Anansi Boys was sacrificed on the altar of episode 2.

I don't see why this would be the case. I don't think one scene is enough to say what direction they took with him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't see why this would be the case. This Anansi and book Anansi aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think one scene is enough to say what direction they took with him.

He has the attitude and appearance of what I imagine
Spider
to have.

hydruxo

I think the intro is great. The music might not be memorable but it's intense, the imagery is very in your face and eye catching. It gets me pumped to watch the episode, like a good intro should do.

molnizzle

So you're going to just dismiss people who designed the sequences for Game of Thrones, Westworld, Outlander, Black Sails, etc.?

The people who designed those sequences didn't write the music for them. They were handed a music track and created the imagery to go along with it. Or they created the imagery first and handed it to a composer who created the music for it. Either way, they only handled the visual aspect of the sequence. Obviously that's what they're gonna talk about. That's what they know.

...but if they think their visuals are the main reason why people remember those sequences, they're wrong. When I think of the GoT opening I hear the melody before I see the map of Westeros. Or I think of the truly brilliant moments where the music aligns perfectly with the visuals, like when the statue above Meereen opens its wings during the middle seasons. Beautiful moment, and a great example of masterful fusion of audio and imagery.

Yonafunu

He has the attitude and appearance of what I imagine
Spider
to have.

Orlando Jones was actually the only real apprehension I had with the casting before this aired, and I remember saying the exact same thing about him being perfect for
Spider
. That said, I thought he was great here, and I don't really think it matters how old he looks. He's a god.

He's barely in Anansi Boys anyway.

Why is Amazon listing this as an Amazon Original? Are they producing this for Starz or something?

Because they're using 'original' to mean 'original programs distributed by Amazon' for territories that there isn't a Starz.

...but if they think their visuals are the main reason why people remember those sequences, they're wrong. When I think of the GoT opening I hear the melody before I see the map of Westeros

And when I think of GoT opening I think "ugh, I've heard this melody way too many times, but there might be something new in it this season so I'll watch it this once.".

Purkake4

Banned
I really liked what the did with Media. Otherwise it seems like a whole lot of Fuller's cinematography with a bunch of Starz gore thrown on top.

Nah they use the Amazon Exclusive label for that. They probably mixed up the labeling then. Just had me confused.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Amazon#Acquisitions

These shows, even though Amazon lists them as Amazon originals, are shows that have been aired in different countries and Amazon has bought exclusive distribution rights to stream them in other various countries.[23] They may be available on Amazon in their home territory some time after their first-run airing on their original broadcaster.

molnizzle

And when I think of GoT opening I think "ugh, I've heard this melody way too many times, but there might be something new in it this season so I'll watch it this once.".

But you remember it. That's the point. You're sick of it because it's memorable and you've heard it so many times.

If you played the GoT theme for me after I'd only seen a handful of episodes, I'd be able to recognize it. Whereas I doubt I'll be able to recognize the American Gods theme after 5 full seasons. It's borderline dissonant white noise with a couple of violin pulls. Utterly forgettable.

But you remember it. That's the point. You're sick of it because it's memorable and you've heard it so many times.

Struggle to put myself in the mindset of somebody who doesn't find the American Gods' visuals as memorable. And what does memorable even matter. I remember the worst dumps I've taken, that doesn't mean I want to experience them every single week.

Jocund

I'd say that Fuller's projects are, moreso than a lot of series, true audiovisual experiences.

There's a very careful contact between what plays out on the screen and all the sonic touches (dissonant strings, the jazz at the start of the second episode) that follow. I have a difficult time imagining American Gods (and Hannibal) without its sound design.

Nah, ep 2 spoilers:

Dude straight up said "You're still getting fucked out of jobs and shot at by police." That's not lying. That's clairvoyance.

It was way too on the nose, lazy writing, and doesn't add anything to the story. They already worshipped him, that's why they were praying to Anansi. We already know America is inherently evil because, hello, they're fucking slaves. It pretty much looks like he can time travel, which is just...silly. It just doesn't make sense. Didn't feel in line with Anansi at all.

Handwaving legit criticsm as it's just "not for you," is annoying as hell. I loved the book. I love the show so far. Anansi is a blemish in what has been pretty much perfect for me.

Read what I wrote again. The events from that opening are not necessarily true. You are getting hung up on logic and reason. In surreal stories, events do not have to be logical, chronological, or even part of the main story. They can just provide backstory, or even just give an idea of what a character is like.

Stop taking everything so literal. I have no idea how someone can accept everything else, but once character appearing to slaves on a ship delivering a rant about the nature of race in America is the road too far. Unless, maybe, it was the message that is causing people to push back so hard.

If you played the GoT theme for me after I'd only seen a handful of episodes, I'd be able to recognize it. Whereas I doubt I'll be able to recognize the American Gods theme after 5 full seasons. It's borderline dissonant white noise with a couple of violin pulls. Utterly forgettable.

I will never forget the Lost theme. Is that what you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LDh8DefWpI

Skilletor

Read what I wrote again. The events from that opening are not necessarily true. You are getting hung up on logic and reason. In surreal stories, events do not have to be logical, chronological, or even part of the main story. They can just provide backstory, or even just give an idea of what a character is like.

Stop taking everything so literal. I have no idea how someone can accept everything else, but once character appearing to slaves on a ship delivering a rant about the nature of race in America is the road too far. Unless, maybe, it was the message that is causing people to push back so hard.

Because the story has a pretty consistent logic and a this character didn't make sense.

And yeah, the message is problematic for me. It was lazy, as if somebody thought that this is what the god of africans americans would want an african god to say to the men and women on slave ships. As I said, too on the nose.

molnizzle

I will never forget the Lost theme. Is that what you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LDh8DefWpI

eh, kinda. That's one of the "5-second title cards" that I referred to earlier. I find those preferable to full intro sequences if there isn't a decent musical track.

Struggle to put myself in the mindset of somebody who doesn't find the American Gods' visuals as memorable. And what does memorable even matter. I remember the worst dumps I've taken, that doesn't mean I want to experience them every single week.

The visuals aren't what make a sequence though. They're half of it. I mean, yes, the visual impact of the American Gods sequence is pretty strong.

That's only half of the equation though. As a whole, the sequence comes across as bland due to the lack of a strong melody.

So the American Gods opening IS technically memorable since it seems to get under your skin so bad.

Personally, only thing I got from it was that it seemed to be lifting from the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo a little.

Orlando Jones' monologue at the start of the second episode is incredibly powerful.

" 'Once upon a time, a man got fucked'. Now, how is that for a story? Cause that's the story of black people in America.

Shit, you all don't know you're black yet. You think you just people. Let me be the first to tell you that you are all black. The moment these Dutch motherfuckers set foot here and decided they white, and you get to be black, and that's the nice name they call you...Let me paint a picture of what's waiting for you on the shore. You arrive in America, land of opportunity, milk and honey, and guess what? You all get to be slaves. Split up, sold off and worked to death. The lucky ones get Sunday off to sleep and fuck and make more slaves, and all for what? For cotton? Indigo? For a fucking purple shirt?

The only good news is, the tobacco your grandkids are gonna farm for free is gonna give a shitload of these white motherfuckers cancer. And I ain't even started yet.

A hundred years later. You're fucked. A hundred years after that. Fucked. A hundred years after you get free, you still getting fucked out a job and shot at by police. You see what I'm saying?

This guy gets it. I like him. He's getting angry. Angry is good. Angry gets shit done. You shed tears for Compe Anansi, and here he is, telling you, you are staring down the barrel of 300 years of subjugation, racist bullshit, and heart disease. He is telling you there isn't one goddamn reason you shouldn't go up there right now and slit the throats of every last one of these Dutch motherfuckers and set fire to this ship!"

american_gods_anansi_black_america_by_digi_matrix-db8l60k.gif

~Kinggi~

Banned
This show is about as legit as fuck as a show can get. Man after Hannibal i didnt think Fuller could suck me into another great one.

aasoncott

I feel like you're going to be really, really disappointed when you find out that music is often an afterthought in title design. Like, the titles can be totally done and some producer will go "hey how about we set this to bagpipes instead."

The main focus of titles is almost never the music.

molnizzle

I feel like you're going to be really, really disappointed when you find out that music is often an afterthought in title design. Like, the titles can be totally done and some producer will go "hey how about we set this to bagpipes instead."

The main focus of titles is almost never the music.

I feel like title sequence designers are going to be really, really disappointed when they find out that the music if often the first thing people think about when recalling their favorite intros.

I get that it's often an afterthought. As it clearly was with American Gods. Like an obvious afterthought. Which is exactly why it's bad.

...in the truly great intros, the music isn't an afterthought. It blends with the visuals gracefully yet has a melody you could recall by ear.

Jag

I feel like title sequence designers are going to be really, really disappointed when they find out that the music if often the first thing people think about when recalling their favorite intros.

I get that it's often an afterthought. As it clearly was with American Gods. Like an obvious afterthought. Which is exactly why it's bad..

Definitely not an afterthought. I think a lot of effort went into it.

Here is an amazing breakdown of all the images.

Zh63xaD.jpg

Aries the God of Virtual War, with a chariot pulled by two customized American muscle cars, holding a crossbow with a nuclear ICBM loaded into it.

Top Bottom