• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

88random

While i
remember about him him being Loki
in the books i don't remember what Mr. World represents and from i seen and read somewhere he seems to represent The Man, basically the invisible NWO and Deep State conspiracy theories that people believe in.

You remember wrong. BOOK SPOILER:
Loki is Shadow's inmate while he was in prison.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm glad we have established what's going on. Took five episodes, and that's enough. Lets get down to the meat of the show now. old gods vs the new gods, come awwwwwwwn.

Paganmoon

Holy shit, Crispin Glover was so fucking intense in his scenes. He looks like he could burst at any moment. Really reminded me of his Charlies Angels character as well. Down to even the clothing.

Mad Sweeney is hilarious, I'd watch a miniseries about his (mis)adventures any day.

And Gillian is doing a great job, really embracing every scene.

Show's just getting better, and with how they're playing everything out, I can now see them doing a slow burn and being able to push the one book to many seasons, can really work.

I'm glad we have established what's going on. Took five episodes, and that's enough. Lets get down to the meat of the show now. old gods vs the new gods, come awwwwwwwn.

Yeah, I actually liked that they really spelt out the premise (and Wednesdays background). I was actually thinking about that halfway through the episode that they need to weave in Wednesdays "reveal" soon, or they might start loosing viewers.

Turin

Banned
Gillian Anderson's David Bowie was the highlight for me. lol

The Marilyn Monroe bit was obnoxious to me but that's not her fault.

Mr. World's a curious character but he's not quite interesting yet.

Laura's interesting because of the much talked about dichotomy and I know, as I'm sure many others do, what it's like to be severely emotionally numb for a long period of time.

I really want to see more of Orlando Jones. He fucking killed it in episode 2.

I hope Shadow gets to shine by the end of this. I actually liked him a lot in the first three episodes. Not as much in the last two.

in what situation was that?

In episode 3 Wednesday is talking about the different Jesuses

Mr. Wednesday: "You've got your White, Jesuit-style Jesus, your Black African Jesus, your Mexican Jesus, and your swarthy Greek Jesus."
Shadow: "That's a lot of Jesus."
Mr. Wednesday: "Well there's a lot of need for Jesus, so there is a lot of Jesus."

While i
remember about him him being Loki in the books
i don't remember what Mr. World represents and from i seen and read somewhere he seems to represent The Man, basically the invisible NWO and Deep State conspiracy theories that people believe in.

Well, shit, I shouldn't click on spoilers. I have read the book, but many years ago so I didn't remember that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I love how distinct Crispin Glover's chin is that I knew that was him the second I saw it. This Mr. World guy seems to be a perfect character for him, too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Glover's Mr. World was super intense I just rewatched that segment.

LotusHD

Banned
These last two episodes have finally got me really interested in the show outside of its visuals, good stuff, Laura's character is quite interesting to me.

hydruxo

Glover's Mr. World was super intense I just rewatched that segment.

"Spicy, medium, or chunky. They get a choice of course. OF COURSE!

But they're still buying salsa."

Me:
rMG3_f-maxage-0.gif

Floex

Another brilliant episode.

Loved the scene between Laura and the leprechaun :lol: Also the introduction of Crispin Glover's Character, gloriously deranged.

Oh and Gillian Anderson

Man, what a show

CloudWolf

If World is not the christian/muslim/jewish god then it's a plot hole that no one mentioned him so far

Why would Mr. World be the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God? He's the leader of the New Gods, meaning he's a New God. 'God', Allah and Jehovah would clearly fall under 'Old Gods'. Yes, they are extremely popular, but still the old guard.

Mr. World is meant to be global modernization. He can't really be put firmly into one category of 'new media' because he is everything.

I have a question about Mr World (BOOK ENDING SPOILERS):

So, I'm not sure how they'll play it in the show, but was Mr World ever really a true god/character or was Mr World a disguise for Low Key the whole time, and he tricked the New Gods into following him? Or was Mr World real, but Low Key somehow took him out of the picture?

Haly

I have a question about Mr World (BOOK ENDING SPOILERS):

So, I'm not sure how they'll play it in the show, but was Mr World ever really a true god/character or was Mr World a disguise for Low Key the whole time, and he tricked the New Gods into following him? Or was Mr World real, but Low Key somehow took him out of the picture?
Loki the whole time, it was a long con. The longest con.

Haly

I think the show might be trying for something else though. This is a very good adaptation because Fuller makes it clear he's willing to change things but still leaves the best parts intact. So many adaptations fail to walk this fine line.

CloudWolf

I think the show might be trying for something else though. This is a very good adaptation because Fuller makes it clear he's willing to change things but still leaves the best parts intact. So many adaptations fail to walk this fine line.

Yeah, I was thinking this as well. MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS
I'm even wondering if at this point in the show Loki even is Mr. World already, considering he pulls off that face-changing stuff, which seems a little excessive for an impersonator like Loki to be able to pull off.

Moff

Why would Mr. World be the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God? He's the leader of the New Gods, meaning he's a New God. 'God', Allah and Jehovah would clearly fall under 'Old Gods'. Yes, they are extremely popular, but still the old guard.

Mr. World is meant to be global modernization. He can't really be put firmly into one category of 'new media' because he is everything.

well the most important reason is that we finally got some kind of gathering of the gods and they talked about what would happen, and no one mentioned the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God, which is silly because he is obviously the most powerful player in this game, if what odin says is correct, that faith matters and makes gods powerful. so I assumed that would be mr world because well, he is the most powerful god of this world.

as for old and new, I think he might still be new compared to the egyption gods for instance, I don't know how long norse religion has been around so I don't know about odin.

anyway, if that's wrong that's ok, but you asked how I came to that question.

caliph95

well the most important reason is that we finally got some kind of gathering of the gods and they talked what would happen, and no one mentioned the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God, which is silly because he is obviously the most powerful player in this game, if what odin says is correct, that faith matters and makes gods powerful. so I assumed that would be mr world because well, he is the most powerful god of this world.

as for old and new, I think he might still be new compared to the egyption gods for instance, I don't know how long norse religion has been around so I don't know about odin.

He would still be an old god
The new gods pretty much applies to the gods that pop up in modern society

CloudWolf

well the most important reason is that we finally got some kind of gathering of the gods and they talked about what would happen, and no one mentioned the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God, which is silly because he is obviously the most powerful player in this game, if what odin says is correct, that faith matters and makes gods powerful. so I assumed that would be mr world because well, he is the most powerful god of this world.

Yes, the Abrahamic God is probably the most powerful being of the Old Gods, but there's a perfectly good reason why Wednesday isn't pursuing him. He would probably be extremely hesistant to join Wednesday on his quest, since he has nothing to fear from the New Gods. Why make an enemy of someone who isn't bothering you to begin with? Also, I can imagine that all the other gods aren't too fond of the Abrahamic God, considering he kinda destroyed the faith in the other Old Gods. Wednesday is also not overly fond of Jesus for instance.

Moff

He would still be an old god
The new gods pretty much applies to the gods that pop up in modern society

old is relative, as I said, the egyptians are far older, and given that he is still the most popular god around today and replaced the other gods in most parts of the world I thought he could be considered a new god and the replaced old gods would rebel against him. I don't know what this story will be aboit but that is a plot I could have imagined, that rebellion of the replaced old gods. if he is not in the picture that whole quarrel of those small gods seems insignificant. unless of course that "merger" mr world talked about would be about taking the big one down. but them fighting each other makes just zero sense. I guess I'll see.

caliph95

old is relative, as I said, the egyptians are far older, and given that he is still the most popular god around today and replaced the other gods in most parts of the world I thought he could be considered a new god and the replaced old gods would rebel against him
True but thats is not how neil gaiman defines popularity and power has nothing to do with with them being old and new other wise you would have hindu gods and buddha as part of the new gods as well. Old Gods faction is just all the irrelevant gods that are barely hanging on

Veelk

Banned
The New Gods are gods made by passivity. People worship them without actually knowing they do so. They're just checking twitter or watching TV. I feel that's got to caused differences to their creation. They concepts that have taken human form, rather than human-like beings incredible power.

The Abrahamic God is the only god who is actively worshipped and believed in and sacrificed to in prayers like the Old Gods are. Also, unlike the other Old Gods, his power is believed to be infinite. The Old Gods were believed to be great and all, but they were not omniscient, they were not omnipotent. Zeus couldn't defy fate, Odin could not simply take the things he wanted so he had to trade or cheat, etc. Yahweh would be different. His power is literally all encompassing. He might be too powerful to actually exist as the other Old Gods do. Instead of being in human form, he is just an all powerful presence.

Whats the word for the belief that beliefs shape reality? I forget and I can't find an easy answer on google. It's not solipsism....well, in any case, it's a great story driving device, even if trying to map it out consistently to how the universe works is a nightmare (is the earth 6,000 years old just because a bunch of idiots believe it to be? Is the moonlanding fake or was 9/11 staged just because conspiracy nuts are convinced by the idea? Do Trump's delusions come true because of his convictions of them?What happens when a significant enough amount of people believe a mutually exclusive idea at once?)

Husker86

What part? They seemed to spell it out quite clearly in this episode.

Who are these Gods? Where did they come from? Do they materialize or are people gifted the powers? What are their powers? Is that red headed dude a God? Can they be killed like any other human (being able to bleed, etc. makes me think they aren't that resilient)?

What is Shadow's purpose to Wednesday? What could a human offer a God besides belief?

If this is supposed to be spelled out to me by now then I feel like a damn idiot.

WillyFive

Who are these Gods? Where did they come from? Do they materialize or are people gifted the powers? What are their powers? Is that red headed dude a God? Can they be killed like any other human (being able to bleed, etc. makes me think they aren't that resilient)?

What is Shadow's purpose to Wednesday? What could a human offer a God besides belief?

If this is supposed to be spelled out to me by now then I feel like a damn idiot.

Your first five questions have been addressed in the show already by now. Your last three questions are the current ongoing story arc.

Veelk

Banned
They've now mentioned the names of all the Old Gods shown thus far. They're all from real world mythologies.

Not quite. I don't remember if Gaiman made up all the Zoryas or just the youngest one (because he really digs the whole Maiden-Mother-Crone thing), but atleast one of them is fabricated.

Also, while he didn't really make him up, Mad Sweeney isn't a god, but rather based on a folk hero of legend. He's the irish equivalent of Johnny Appleseed more than anything else. Not really a god, but still sustained by belief.

Not quite. I don't remember if Gaiman made up all the Zoryas or just the youngest one (because he really digs the whole Maiden-Mother-Crone thing), but atleast one of them is fabricated.

Also, while he didn't really make him up, Mad Sweeney isn't a god, but rather based on a folk hero of legend. He's the irish equivalent of Johnny Appleseed more than anything else. Not really a god, but still sustained by belief.

Just the one was made up. Also Mad Sweeney makes me wonder if like Santa Claus is a thing.

Shy

If watch the newest episode's opening (coming to America) sequence. It'll answer you question.

The redheaded gentleman is a Leprechaun. As he said the first time we (and Shadow) ever saw met him.

Veelk

Banned
Just the one was made up. Also Mad Sweeney makes me wonder if like Santa Claus is a thing.

Oh definitely. And the tooth fairy and all the other stuff you tell kids, who sincerely believe such things.

What I'm interested is how much stuff like Star Wars comes into reality. Like, everyone knows it's fake, but they sacrifice such an amount of time and money to it, make straight up alters to it...that's a whole lot of worship. Media and Technology came to live without people actively realizing they were doing so, so maybe the amount of worship Star Wars gets, maybe there is a galaxy somewhere out there, far far away.

caliph95

Can't remember from the book but it's possible sustained by kids maybe hangs out with Saint Nick

This reminds of something in Dresden files and the show Librarians where minor spoiler:
Odin is the same as Santa Claus, just a different form of his and in dresden was another way of sustaining himself since belief applies in the universe except for maybe Yahweh and his angels

DeviantBoi

I've only read half of the book, but from this episode, it seems Jesus and Allah sold themselves to Mr. World a while back.

Everything that Mr. World was promising Mr. Wednesday is being done in Jesus' and Allah's name.

Shy

I've only read half of the book, but from this episode, it seems Jesus and Allah sold themselves to Mr. World a while back.

Everything that Mr. World was promising Mr. Wednesday is being done in Jesus' and Allah's name.
You're mistaken.
This show is so confusing, I have never read the book but it will ever resolve everything or will it end like Lost?
Don't worry everything gets resolved.

Not like shitty Lost.

caliph95

No i doubt it they probably powered by the same thing but Jesus and Yahwew/Allah and pronnaly the angels belong to the two biggest religions in the world they don't need World

Top Bottom