• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Freak Show |OT| Let your inhibitions go, it's a crazy night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've pretty much said they're doing five. I think that means they'll stop them at some point, but I do agree that while I enjoyed Life On Mars I'm not sure I could sit through a musical number every episode.

I really hope they don't go through with it for every episode. But I am pretty sure they've already confirmed they're doing a
Lana Del Rey and Nirvana
song at some point throughout the show.
How do you have Patti LaBelle on the show and no Patti song?

Yeah, outside of the clown stuff, the episode was kinda weak and didn't seem to flow . I'm not liking the twins angle or this whole "we're not freaks" civil rights movement thing either.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That knife kill at the start was crazy.

And I just knew Jimmy's "gotta take a leak" was going to blow up.

Yeah, outside of the clown stuff, the episode was kinda weak and didn't seem to flow . I'm not liking the twins angle or this whole "we're not freaks" civil rights movement thing either.

The civil rights makes sense: A lot of people are treated badly because they're "different." Why not "freaks?" They're nearly the same as everyone else, as "Jimmy" says. Just different.

Anyway, Murphy said this season would have a slower start than the last three. So we're looking at like 3-5 episodes before all the cast is together or something.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This season is having a terrible start. There's no momentum to any of the storylines - no reason to keep watching other than to see whatever random weird shit they decide to throw at us next.

I liked every scene with Francis Conroy, and Dandy seems like he could be a proper creepy ass character (he drinks cognac from a baby bottle, complete with a nipple! lol), but the rest of the cast isn't interesting in the least. A couple decent performances (Paulson, Lange) isn't enough to keep me interested in these characters.

And that song was just...embarrassing. One of the cringiest moments I've seen in a TV show all year. I mean, was it just me or did a small mosh pit form at the base of the circus stage during the Fiona Apple song? What did I even just type? Good lord.

Well, believe it or not, Glee still has one more 20-something episode season. Haha.

It got cut down to 13 episodes, thankfully.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This season has been pretty stable, I thought. It's absurd from the start, and I know what to expect now.

obin_gam

Loved this episode too!
YOU KILLED MEEP! YOU BASTARDS!

Best part was the Dandy + Twisty segment. I would pay for them to have their own show -
"The Dandy & Twisty Hour"
Watch the perfect odd couple get into playful hijinx and kidnapping troubles!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I enjoyed the episode apart from the stupid glee number
I lived for it last week when Lange sang, and I can get behind the twins singing as it makes sense. What I don't like is, just like glee, this misfits and outcasts suddenly turn into rock stars as soon as they start a musical number, but when that finishes they'll go back to being freaks and undesirables.
They struggled to get two people in last episode then called that a sold out show, one day of putting up posters and a time change gets in about twenty people and causes a mosh pit? Don't be fucking absurd.

Lange delivered the best line again. "He has to go" cracked me up
I am surprised they're creating this much tension between the strong man and the others already

This has been a very dull first two episodes.

I can actually see this being worse than Coven. Which would be some feat.

I don't know if it's the cast or the writing or what, but I'm just so bored of it.

I'll give it a couple more episodes.

SeanR1221

I enjoyed the episode apart from the stupid glee number
I lived for it last week when Lange sang, and I can get behind the twins singing as it makes sense. What I don't like is, just like glee, this misfits and outcasts suddenly turn into rock stars as soon as they start a musical number, but when that finishes they'll go back to being freaks and undesirables.
They struggled to get two people in last episode then called that a sold out show, one day of putting up posters and a time change gets in about twenty people and causes a mosh pit? Don't be fucking absurd.

Lange delivered the best line again. "He has to go" cracked me up
I am surprised they're creating this much tension between the strong man and the others already

You hit the nail on the head. I'm willing to believe anything in a universe that a show has created. What pulls me out, is when the universe is inconsistent and this post sums that up nicely.

Nemesis_

I actually enjoyed this episode more so than the last, but I wonder what their long term plan is.

Someone I was watching it with brought up an interesting fact that Michael Chiklis loved a woman with a beard and a woman with a penis.

I wonder if they'll do more with that?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So if that actor is playing Pepper again, are all the seasons taking place in the same world/timeline or just this one and Asylum?

Just this one and Asylum I'd wager.

Freak Show is 1950's. Asylum is 1960. Makes sense that after this Pepper is "captured" or something (kidnapped?) and sent to the New Orleans(?) Asylum.

Someone I was watching it with brought up an interesting fact that Michael Chiklis loved a woman with a beard and a woman with a penis.

I wonder if they'll do more with that?

They already did. He killed a "poof"/gay man for trying to turn straight while screwing his wife. Strong man is majorly in the closet or bisexual and not willing to admit it.

Was there something I missed between the clown clubbing that kid over the head and escaping the house to the kid being the clown's partner in recapturing that girl that escaped from the bus? Why were they all of a sudden buddies in crime?

Wow. I had no idea haha.
I only know because I figured I'd finish watching the show since it was so close to the determined end. But...

It got cut down to 13 episodes, thankfully.

...this is the greatest news I've had all week. "Thankfully" is right.

Just this one and Asylum I'd wager.

Freak Show is 1950's. Asylum is 1960. Makes sense that after this Pepper is "captured" or something (kidnapped?) and sent to the New Orleans(?) Asylum.

Ah.

obin_gam

Was there something I missed between the clown clubbing that kid over the head and escaping the house to the kid being the clown's partner in recapturing that girl that escaped from the bus? Why were they all of a sudden buddies in crime?

It was quite obvious that Dandy was bored to hell with his life. He helped Twisty with the girl because he saw a chance for adventure, and to be with another freak - remember he felt like a freak, thats why he wanted to join Elsas posse in the begining of the episode.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
-I dont care about the cast right now except the clown.
-Musical numbers while fitting to the theme at the same time feels like padding if they plan doing them often
-Kathy Bates accent is terrible
-Evan Peters character at the moment is having the most cliche dialogue on TV
-The actor who plays Dandy is awful

If the show doesn't pick up by episode 5 or 6 I'm bailing out of the show.

Valhelm

contribute something
What exactly is going on with the clown's mouth? It looked like a rotten hole. I don't think it was just missing teeth.

Goofy accents aside, the trio of Lange, Bates, and Bassett are just absolute master-class.
I love watching all three of them work.

Chiklis also has a wonderful presence, but I hope they give him more to work with. His performance through 7 seasons of The Shield was among the most powerful performances I've ever seen in TV or film. The guy can pull off vulnerable just as effortlessly as he can pull off tough. Hopefully the writers take the chains off and let him go nuts with the material.

Dandy's getting some shit here, but I find him pretty unnerving (as opposed to distracted due to proposed 'bad acting'). I think he's supposed to be a bit cartoony and over-the-top, but I hope it goes into a really dark direction to make a disturbing contrast.

I hope the weirdness ramps up, though. This whole "WE WONT BE TREATED LIKE FREAKS" thing could get old really fast. I don't tune into AHS for a "it's 'ok' to be different, too" Sunday Morning Special. :p

Dandy's getting some shit here, but I find him pretty unnerving (as opposed to distracted due to proposed 'bad acting'). I think he's supposed to be a bit cartoony and over-the-top, but I hope it goes into a really dark direction to make a disturbing contrast.

I think Dandy is intentionally over the top as well. He's so fucking wacked even the clown didn't know what to think of him when they met. His relationship with the clown will be dark IMO as he'll be amused with this clowns sadistic behavior.

I'm digging Elsa's relationship with the twins as well. I think the whole jealousy dynamic could be a potentially dark plot point.

It seems like the story will ramp up more slowly, so I can see how people are having a hard time caring about anyone specifically, but I'm easily more interested in this group of freaks than last seasons vapid teenager witches.

Bates' accent is terribly bad though.

Taruranto

I didn't find the clown scary in the first episode, but oh god that scene in the shop. And we finally know how his mouth works!

Also, is the woman without the lower body... real? Or just special-effect?

Choomp

Banned
What exactly is going on with the clown's mouth? It looked like a rotten hole. I don't think it was just missing teeth.

All I've thought about when he's on screen is his dental/nutrition situation. Doesn't seem like he ever opens that thing, besides that Twisty is friggin OP.

Didn't expect Michael Chiklis to be
such a douche.
(minor spoiler?) Judging by some of the marketing maybe he'll fit in with everyone a bit more.

Valhelm

contribute something
All I've thought about when he's on screen is his dental/nutrition situation. Doesn't seem like he ever opens that thing, besides that Twisty is friggin OP.

Didn't expect Michael Chiklis to be
such a douche.
(minor spoiler?) Judging by some of the marketing maybe he'll fit in with everyone a bit more.

I think he's going to be the link between the freaks and the "real world", as he himself has no deformities.

Not a bad episode. Really liked Angela Bassett's character, not sold on Chiklis though, was hoping for something more than a generic strongman, but let's see where they go with it I guess.

Ending was heartbreaking. I knew it was coming with the arrest, but damn.

And the face reveal of the clown. I sure fainted from sighing so much. Seriously, no lower jaw? That's it? I knew it wouldn't amount to much, but they didn't really put much effort in. Disappointing.

antonz

Twisty has quite the problem. No wonder he is so moody

B0CtUNeIYAEqim-.jpg

okno

Those of you saying Bates' accent is bad just don't know the accent. It's definitely either old school Philly or Boston, full stop. It's fucking spot on.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Goofy accents aside, the trio of Lange, Bates, and Bassett are just absolute master-class.
I love watching all three of them work.

Chiklis also has a wonderful presence, but I hope they give him more to work with.
I'll try to refrain from drive by snark in the future, but I have to say: it's such a shame that *this* is the show that has resulted in this talent in the same room. Surely the Asylum good will can't last forever. :p

bbdude

The music video scene in the last episode was so shit-tier I involuntarily left the room until it was over. I don't know if I can handle another one of those.

Those of you saying Bates' accent is bad just don't know the accent. It's definitely either old school Philly or Boston, full stop. It's fucking spot on.

Yea I definitely thought that. It's like second generation Irish-Bostonian or something.

It was a really creepy, bizarre, eventful episode. The music video scenes are really such an odd way to do it. I think it's the one thing that is really off-base with this season. Other than that, top notch atmosphere. Characters are just so intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom