• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Freak Show |OT| Let your inhibitions go, it's a crazy night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally watched the premiere...

vampirekisskybni.gif

Creepy Clown doing creepy clown stuff.

Lobster Boy as a two fingered gigolo for bored 50s housewives.

Jessica Lange singing "Life on Mars?" in a German accent.

I know they won't keep it up (it is a Ryan Murphy show, after all) but if they can at least stay close to this level, I'll totally forget Coven ever happened.

My provider just added FX as a free preview, so I'm gonna' PVR the first two episodes of Freak Show. There have only been two, right?

I'm going to look into adding the channel so I can watch it all as it airs - well, sort of.

Murder House blew me away, but I've only seen parts of Asylum and need to watch that and Coven. Freak Show sounds awesome, though.

This season looks like it will have a good creepy factor. I doubt it eclipses season two for me though. Part of that is that I'm more creeped out by the assylym/evil nun angle than the clowns/freak show one. Though, I could see how the clown in this would freak people who hate clowns in general.

Frost_Ace

Good premiere, hope they don't shit the bed in the next episodes. Can't wait to see Emma Roberts and Michael Chiklis characters! :]

Got around to watching the first episode last night and didn't like it at all. I wonder if maybe this recycling of the characters thing is starting to affect my ability to be convinced.

Couldn't figure out if Lang was supposed to have an accent the entire time because it sounded like she'd just break out of it randomly. The whole singing bit was weird. The part with the nurse watching the videos of her banging all the freaks seemed like it was there just as a shock factor.

I didn't really like the first episode of Coven either and ended up loving that, but I just don't know about this one. I think perhaps this series blew its load with Coven for me, but I'll give it a try.

mantidor

I've never seen this series and had no idea about this new season but I caught the latest episode on accident while channel surfing. I enjoyed it but something bothered me about it, it was odd at parts, and now this thread makes me realize the issue, it's a freaking Ryan Murphy show, I cannot stand them.

The setting is so good, but I feel it will be ruined, I'm rewatching Browning's freaks every new episode to remove the odd taste.

Brakke

Banned
Watched the premier, basically dug it. I loved Asylum and thought Murderhouse was pretty good, but Coven really lost its way. Was so frustrated by Coven going off the rails I almost dropped the show entirely.

The premise makes me a little uncomfortable though, for sure. I thought the premier handled itself well but it seems like it'll be all too easy for this show to do something grossly insensitive and lame given its subject area. The way Glee handled the wheelchair kid doesn't give me a lot of hope that won't blow it eventually...

obin_gam

Clown Club Cranky at Killer Clown:
Hollywood makes money sensationalizing the norm," bemoans Glenn Kohlberger, president of Clowns of America International, the nation’s biggest clown club. "They can take any situation no matter how good or pure and turn it into a nightmare."

"We do not support in any way, shape or form any medium that sensationalizes or adds to coulrophobia or 'clown fear,' " Kohlberger says.

Clowns cry :(

But thats not the news part:
Series co-creator Ryan Murphy told THR he fears home invasions over clowns. "I'm much more afraid of Bloody Face [from Asylum] and Rubber Man [from Murder House]," Murphy said, adding that the origin of Twisty, whose frightful mask resembles an exposed skull, will be revealed in the fourth episode.

"There's a big story that explains the clown and what he's doing that's based on an urban myth we uncovered," Murphy said. "Our take is very unusual."

can't wait for Chiklis to show up.

I just love how batshit crazy this show is.
Even though Freak Show just started (and I love the theme/aesthetic), I'm curious what they'll do for S5. They've covered a haunted house, an asylum, witches, and now carnivals.
Space station? ;)

Nemesis_

Even though Freak Show just started (and I love the theme/aesthetic), I'm curious what they'll do for S5. They've covered a haunted house, an asylum, witches, and now carnivals.
Space station? ;)

I would kill for them to do something Sci-Fi like Alien but with a bit more of a faster pace. But is that still classed as "American"?

They could do a lot if they moved the show to Japan or moved it somewhere exotic or strange to explore that folklore.

I wouldn't mind them doing a snowy / abominable snowman / the thing kind of setting though.

Brakke

Banned

Space station? ;)

I was kind of hoping Chiklis would be in the clown suit.

Fuck I would looooooove a Sci Fi season. It'd fit right in with the horror tradition of going to space by the for fourth or fifth movie: Hellraiser, Friday the 13th, Leprechaun, etc.

rude

Banned
Rewatched it in prep for tonight.

"It's on the house. Stars never pay.."

That line delivery is just too good. Slay me Jessica.

Pluto

Space station? ;)
I'd love sci-fi horror for season 5, that's a great idea. For some reason I now have in image of Sarah Paulson with slicked back hair, a high collar and a pad in her hand in my mind ... no idea why.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I want them to do an Old West season. They could do stuff with old timey American folktales, gold digging/prospectors, mineshafts, Sasquaches, Cowboys and Indians, frontier woman Jessica Lange in a coonskin cap - all sorts of things!

Brakke

Banned
I want them to do an Old West season. They could do stuff with old timey American folktales, gold digging/prospectors, mineshafts, Sasquaches, Cowboys and Indians, frontier woman Jessica Lange in a coonskin cap - all sorts of things!

;_; will be so, so sad if Jessica Lange doesn't come back next season tho.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Space station? ;)

I was thinking about an Alien-esque season the other day. That has the chance to be really cool and a pretty big change in the show.

I'd love to see what they would do.

rude

Banned
I am SO sick of her. The characters she plays are so one-noted. She's not creepy, not intimidating. I don't think she's a good actress.
Her characters are shittily written but Lange is a master. Go back and watch the that dialogue between her and Paulson at the end of the Coven finale.

The premier was loads better than I expected. I have high hopes for tonight. I don't think I'll give the series the benefit of the doubt if they let me down again.

MarkusRJR

Finished Coven finally. God Damn that ending was perfect. Set up everything for another season once Jessica Lange leaves, and at the same time provided closure (unlike the first two seasons imo). Don't understand the hate for the last few episodes apart from the annoying Stevie Nicks scenes (felt like advertising). The middle episodes really fell apart though and I understand those complaints.

Can't wait to watch episode 2 of Season 4 once I get home from work.

"Why yes I would love to play a chick (?) with 3 tits." - Angela Bassett

Also the rich son is an awful actor. And the rich mom is an idiot.

So if that actor is playing Pepper again, are all the seasons taking place in the same world/timeline or just this one and Asylum?

SeanR1221

I'm sorry, I'm trying to get into this but that song scene was so corny.

I'm basically just in it for the clown at this point.

Nemesis_

So are they doing music every episode now?

They've pretty much said they're doing five. I think that means they'll stop them at some point, but I do agree that while I enjoyed Life On Mars I'm not sure I could sit through a musical number every episode.

I really hope they don't go through with it for every episode. But I am pretty sure they've already confirmed they're doing a
Lana Del Rey and Nirvana
song at some point throughout the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom