• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Freak Show |OT| Let your inhibitions go, it's a crazy night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the weirdness ramps up, though. This whole "WE WONT BE TREATED LIKE FREAKS" thing could get old really fast. I don't tune into AHS for a "it's 'ok' to be different, too" Sunday Morning Special. :p

But that's if you take it at face value. In saying they're no different he's saying they're capable of acting like monsters like the normal people do.

I want them to do an Old West season. They could do stuff with old timey American folktales, gold digging/prospectors, mineshafts, Sasquaches, Cowboys and Indians, frontier woman Jessica Lange in a coonskin cap - all sorts of things!
We got California(Murder House), New England(Asylum), Louisiana(Coven) and Florida(Freak Show). Do something Northern Mid-West, like a mining down in the middle of a big forest and mountain range set in the late 1800s-early 1900s with Frontier folk, miners, loggers and Native Americans. Yeah, Bigfoot could be one of the many concepts seen, as would Native American mysticism(like the Wendigo and skin walkers) and have things like ghost cowboys. Hell, it could start out similarly to Asylum, where you are introduced to the location in modern times, it being a sorta Roanoke styled "ghost town" where the inhabitants all vanished without a trace, and is not a tourist stop.

Nemesis_

Ryan Murphy has done his usual post-episode interview with Entertainment Weekly. I'll include a few excerpts but yeah, read the whole thing if you want.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/16/ahs-freak-show-exclusive-ryan-murphy-episode-two/

I won't include full answers here.

Let’s talk about the Motts. Is Gloria delusional? Is she drugged?
Well she’s not drugged, and I don’t think she’s delusional. What we establish in a couple episodes is they don’t make Glorias anymore...

We meet Dell and Desiree for the first time. Michael Chiklis is one of the newest AHS actors. Why did you wanna work with him?
... I think he’s a fascinating actor. He’s a rare actor who can do comedy and drama, which I love. One of the tropes of a freak show is a strong man and I really wanted to show Michael in a role…as this role progresses you’ve never seen him do anything like this ever....

So Desiree is fascinating. I knew there were three boobs but I didn’t know she’d have a penis. Did Angela have any reservations about such a wild role?
...No. I mean is it a penis? She says it’s a ding-a-ling but what does that mean to somebody. You gotta keep watching for that one. But freak shows have a history of loving that archetype. But her story is very emotional, and Angela really killed that stuff coming up....

Speaking of surgery, we saw Twisty’s mouth or lack thereof. Is he just completely missing his lower jaw?
Well we’re starting our great Halloween episode part one is next week and part two is the week after. Part two we show you the complete origin story of Twisty: where he started from, how he became who he is, why is he doing what he’s doing. All of that is explained. He has an entire 15 minute act by himself where we take you back 40 years in the life of that character.

And Emma Roberts and Denis O’Hare show up next week as Maggie and Stanley, respectively. What can you say about them?
They’re con artists. At the time in American culture, there was a whole fascination with freak ephemera and medical oddities and one could get a huge amount of money for that. That’s all I’ll say about their story. They’re both introduced and Emma is amazing and Denis is always great. Denis really loves his part because he plays a guy with a 13-inch penis and that’s all I’m going to say about that. So Denis has never been happier!

Will we see this thing?
Oh I’ll never tell. I will say that we did push the broadcast standards with that. But I was happy to give America that gift. [Laughs]

People are already thinking they’ve figured out season 5’s plot. Have you noticed if anyone has gotten it right?
I’ve been looking and nobody has gotten it right.
A lot of people are thinking it’s space-related due to Elsa’s song last week.
No. We’re not doing space. Because space is not in America. It’s American Horror Story not Intergalactic Horror Story. But I thought the clues about people thinking it was space were clever. I always love it when people come up with these theories but it is 100 percent not space. It is land-bound and it takes place in the United States.

By the way, did any of you guys notice Meep previously appeared in the series?

617px-Infantata2.png

I watched both episodes within the last 24 hours, and liked them. However, I wouldn't say it's been great so far; just pretty good.

There's a lot of potential, but Murder House is safe as my favourite of the two thus far. As mentioned, though, I still need to see more than two episodes of Asylum and all of Coven.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
definitely a lot of potential but as far as these two episodes go its a bit of a snore
although i have hope for this being the best season

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
y3d8xLY.png

We got California(Murder House), New England(Asylum), Louisiana(Coven) and Florida(Freak Show). Do something Northern Mid-West, like a mining down in the middle of a big forest and mountain range set in the late 1800s-early 1900s with Frontier folk, miners, loggers and Native Americans. Yeah, Bigfoot could be one of the many concepts seen, as would Native American mysticism(like the Wendigo and skin walkers) and have things like ghost cowboys. Hell, it could start out similarly to Asylum, where you are introduced to the location in modern times, it being a sorta Roanoke styled "ghost town" where the inhabitants all vanished without a trace, and is not a tourist stop.

Yuss!

Choomp

Banned
I'm actually quite happy we're getting a Twisty origin story. Thank god he's not a crazy clown just cause, I think the origin story could be cool.
Maybe it's similar to what's happening with Dandy

VARIA

No. We’re not doing space. Because space is not in America. It’s American Horror Story not Intergalactic Horror Story. But I thought the clues about people thinking it was space were clever. I always love it when people come up with these theories but it is 100 percent not space. It is land-bound and it takes place in the United States.

There was a space alien angle in season 2. I wonder why they're making it seem unreasonable for people to make a connection to outer space?

Nemesis_

There was a space alien angle in season 2. I wonder why they're making it seem unreasonable for people to make a connection to outer space?

I don't know if you remember but Ryan was purposely obtuse when he was teasing Freak Show. To the point where he was like IT'S NOT A CIRCUS even though people were on the right track.

Maybe they'll do something like Roswell/Area 51?

I watched both episodes within the last 24 hours, and liked them. However, I wouldn't say it's been great so far; just pretty good.

There's a lot of potential, but Murder House is safe as my favourite of the two thus far. As mentioned, though, I still need to see more than two episodes of Asylum and all of Coven.

Don't bother. Season 2 is boring and I couldn't even finish season 3. Witches had so much potential, it turned into Bored Housewitches of New York.

off to a pretty slow start i'd say...Twisty and Dandy is the most interesting/scary story/characters going on right now...they actually make you feel bad for them. esp twisty. he just wants friends/kids to play with for pete's sake!

I felt so bad for Meep!

which season did Meep appear in previously?

glad they aren't doing anything space related.. that ruined
asylum
for me.

The only interesting character for me right now are the clown and Dandy. I'm bored anytime something else is on screen. Stop the damn musical numbers. This isn't glee Ryan. Also tired of Lange playing the same damn character every season now. She always gets jealous of someone younger and better at something than her and plots to kill them.

Zalasta

These character problems that many people are pointing out not only further proves that Ryan Murphy is just a terrible writer (see The Glee Project when he talks about how he would write for each contestants), but also demonstrates the downside of having largely the same cast in different roles every season. Instead of writing for the characters themselves, they seem to be writing for the actors. So what happens is certain people end up playing very similar things again and again.

Well it seems he might have more lines than Coven's character at least.

Haha. It's kind of the opposite problem. So far this season, his character won't shut the fuck up.

These character problems that many people are pointing out not only further proves that Ryan Murphy is just a terrible writer (see The Glee Project when he talks about how he would write for each contestants), but also demonstrates the downside of having largely the same cast in different roles every season. Instead of writing for the characters themselves, they seem to be writing for the actors. So what happens is certain people end up playing very similar things again and again.

Yeah, the rehash of actor/character dynamics is tiring. For the third straight season we've got an adversarial relationship between Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson. I love both actors and they do a tremendous job with what they're given, but it's getting old. Really old.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Haha. It's kind of the opposite problem. So far this season, his character won't shut the fuck up.
And boy does he go extremely cliche.

Yeah, the rehash of actor/character dynamics is tiring. For the third straight season we've got an adversarial relationship between Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson. I love both actors and they do a tremendous job with what they're given, but it's getting old. Really old.

IMO the actors should mold to the script not the script to the actors. Where is the versatility of the actors showing when you are feeding them their comfort character over and over? We all know Jessica and Sarah can do different kind of deliveries so why let them do the same things? I do not now about the other actors but I expect them to have an idea of doing different kind of deliveries if they are professionals.

The approach of creating the characters taking consideration of what the actors like while it has good intentions it doesn't work well when you are creating new characters for the cast every season. What worked on Glee wont necessarily work for AHS.

Vazra

Middle os season 2.

I REALLY REALLY Hate Dominque

Dominique, nique
Nique s'en allait tout simplement
Routier pauvre et chantant
En tous chemins, en tous lieux
Il ne parle que du bon Dieu
Il ne parle que du bon Dieu

stufte

I really wish they would stop with the musical numbers. It breaks me out of the immersion of the show, especially since they are singing recent-ish songs.

Got the same weird feeling watching last season with Stevie Nicks. It all just seems so fucking forced.

Mononoke

Banned
I really wish they would stop with the musical numbers. It breaks me out of the immersion of the show, especially since they are singing recent-ish songs.

Got the same weird feeling watching last season with Stevie Nicks. It all just seems so fucking forced.

I mean I don't really see what it adds. I think the life on Mars bit worked to show us how desperate she was. How delusional she was at wanting to be a star. That's all we needed really. Now it just feels out of place and like a waste of time. At least they are only 4 min of the episode. Could be worse.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

eh at least the musical numbers make sense in this setting
Stevie Nicks was just downright unnecessary

Vazra

I could see how Elsa links the song to herself but Im simply not into the musical numbers.

The only way musicals worked on AHS was Asylum because it was 1 musical number and it was used to lightened up the mood considering what was going on the episode.

I actually haven't had an issue with the musical numbers this year as they make sense and seem apart of the shows formula. Season 2 & 3's musical numbers were awful. Season 3 especially had some that made me cringe.

Zalasta

Well, with Glee in its last season, Ryan Murphy will use AHS as his platform to continue to do musical numbers, so get used to them, lol.

Speaking of Glee, I had a dream nightmare last night that I was stuck in an episode of Glee.

So random. I haven't watched that awful show in years.

Nemesis_

They've said they'll only be doing about five during this season. Make me wonder if after episode 5 something will happen to shake up the structure....

Looks like they'll be doing the Lana segment during a montage of Ed Mordrake. Interesting.

Mononoke

Banned
I could see how Elsa links the song to herself but Im simply not into the musical numbers.

The only way musicals worked on AHS was Asylum because it was 1 musical number and it was used to lightened up the mood considering what was going on the episode.

I just think, we only needed it once to get that point across. Yes, we get it. She thinks she's a star. She's delusional and likes to live in her own world believing she is somebody. I think that plot is essential to the character (and will be important as things unfold). But I just don't see why we need a musical number multiple times. I know some people hated the Life on Mars song. But I actually liked it quite a bit, and thought it fit in perfect with the character herself (even if the song wasn't the right era). Some people said it took them out of the moment. But I kind of like that, because Elsa is in her own little world.

But yeah, that is all I needed.

3phemeral

I don't know if I can stand any more of these musical breaks. Fiona Apple was a little jarring but it was short, so I forgave it. Elsa's number of Life On Mars could have benefited from the same treatment. Doing "only 5" isn't really comforting as that's nearly half the season, and about 5 episodes into Coven is all it took to lead that into abyss.

Well, with Glee in its last season, Ryan Murphy will use AHS as his platform to continue to do musical numbers, so get used to them, lol.

Nope, not me. I'm skipping this coming episode, and given how I'm not a fan of Glee, and been getting "out" of AHS, I'm also guessing this "style" will continue on into Murphy's new "Scream Queens" series(which I will avoid like the plague).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I was looking through TVLine's American Horror Story Season 4 (and Beyond)... feature where they try to guess the settings for season 4 (this was a while ago...) and beyond. They've got some fun ideas:

American Horror Story: D.C.

The only thing that could possibly be more terrifying than actual Washington politics would be Washington politics conducted by minions of Satan hoping to install the anti-Christ in the Oval Office, Omen style. Handle that, Olivia Pope.

(I don't know if I could handle Ryan Murphy Does Politics :x)

American Horror Story: Shady Pines

Imagine Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Frances Conroy as the feisty denizens of a retirement home. Then imagine that the denizens of said retirement home have all actually been dead for years. Shudder!

American Horror Story: Camp Blood

Remember how freaked out you were the first time you saw Friday the 13th? Now take that fear and multiply it by the thought of it being Bloody Face (or — gasp! — worse) beneath that hockey mask! Suddenly, short-shorts and Betsy Palmer aren't the scariest things at a 1970s-set campground, are they?

They could combine these two and do a dual storyline thing where all the people in the terrifying nursing home coincidentally (?!) went to the same terrifying summer camp as kids.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
"looking to get hit hard" :S

Also, I really don't like the cover. She enunciates things so deliberately. It's weird. I guess it's because English isn't supposed to be her first language, but it sounds grating to me.

Vazra

"looking to get hit hard" :S

Also, I really don't like the cover. She enunciates things so deliberately. It's weird. I guess it's because English isn't supposed to be her first language, but it sounds grating to me.

Could have been a worse censor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom