• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Freak Show |OT| Let your inhibitions go, it's a crazy night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
American Horror Story: Freak Show versus American history

From Tod Browning’s vintage horror film Freaks to HBO’s short-lived Carnivàle, pop culture portrayals of sideshows tend to be mystical, nefarious spaces filled with a secret society made up of freaks, con men and sirens. No exception to this formula, the world of American Horror Story’s fourth season—subtitled Freak Show—is gritty, campy, horrifying, and funny. But is it in any way an accurate representation of this endlessly fascinating, often misunderstood world? In a historical sense: Nope, not at all.

Zalasta

I'm sorry, this supernatural urban legend angle seemed more silly than scary to me...I guess this is where it goes downhill?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I think the show is starting to pick up but Im still not sure if I like the direction is going. At least we saw a bit more happening on this episode. Emma Roberts part was crappy tho.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Name Game was genius. Loved it.

The name game is still the best thing Lange asked Murphy to do. Simply because it was out of left field. I don't mind the musical numbers here, but outside of the proposed Nirvana and Bowie numbers, I'm not sure I'm feeling the others for the "freak theme."

alasta said:
I'm sorry, this supernatural urban legend angle seemed more silly than scary to me...I guess this is where it goes downhill?

Nah, after they get rid of the strong man, I think the supernatural will be gone. This is the "Halloween" episode that each season does, just this one is a two parter like the first season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought that was a huge improvement over the first two episodes. It benefited greatly from focusing primarily on one freak (Kathy Bates), the storyline with Emma Roberts and Dennis O'Hare (who has a 13 inch penis! whichwewon'tgettoseethanksalotfx) actually provided us with a clear direction for the season, as did the Edward Mordrake arc even though that one will only last until next week.

And the musical number, while not great, wasn't anywhere near as cringeworthy as the last two.

So, Freak Show, things are looking up a bit for you!

waaaaaah

i forgot to find and join this thread *subscribes*

i've watched all AHS since season 1

i love the clown in this season. he's the best <3

okay, and now i will read back <3

For someone who disliked the theme and wasnt that enamoured by the premiere ive liked the last two episodes a lot more. Curious to see where everything goes but so far im liking the characters. Ive actually found the spoiled rotten, mentally unhinged soon to be serial killer brat incredibly entertaining. Frances Conroy's character and his conjour up mixed feelings on some level I want to laugh hysterically, feel pity for the mom and creeped out and annoyed with the son. Patti's character also adds a lot to the scenes last night.

Overall I enjoyed the episode and so far they are doing okay but I fear they will start to juggle too many characters and storylines again which is one of AHS fatal flaws when everything becomes too convolouted. AHS also is good for the first 5-6 episodes but they can't resolve plotlines well. I enjoyed Asylum's arc from start to finish but the other seasons become a mess. Id say S1 became a mess around the 2/3 mark and S3 went downhill around the 1/3-1/2 mark.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I liked the episode, loved Patti and Dandy and the mum so so much, definitely the best bits of the show

One complaint would be the sudden turn of character for Bette (Or Dot I'm not sure which is which tbh). She's gone from being grumpy and a little hostile to being a complete cunt who is shitting on everyone and openly saying that shes going to kill off her sister so she can be on her own. Don't get me wrong I thought that was where they would end up but the sudden change in personality doesn't make sense. If anything I thought it would be the other twin that would change this episode because of the conversation she had had with Elsa in the last episode. As it is that change was extremely jarring and took me out of all the bits she was part of.

I enjoyed all of Kathy Bates' bits but I felt the scene with Mandrake fell a little flat. I called that she would be visited by him but I didn't expect her to survive. Really not sure who will be killed off, but my housemate has money on the strong man. Listening to the lyrics of Gods and Monsters they actually sing "Nobody is going to take my soul away"

Boring episode, not really much to say.

I am happy that Emma Roberts is finally back though. Also digging the Edward Mordrake character. Guess he'll be taking either the clown or the strongman to hell with him?

And yeah, what's the deal with Kathy Bate's accent? What is it supposed to be exactly?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I liked the episode, loved Patti and Dandy and the mum so so much, definitely the best bits of the show

Agreed.

One complaint would be the sudden turn of character for Bette (Or Dot I'm not sure which is which tbh). She's gone from being grumpy and a little hostile to being a complete cunt who is shitting on everyone and openly saying that shes going to kill off her sister so she can be on her own. Don't get me wrong I thought that was where they would end up but the sudden change in personality doesn't make sense. If anything I thought it would be the other twin that would change this episode because of the conversation she had had with Elsa in the last episode. As it is that change was extremely jarring and took me out of all the bits she was part of.

That was weird to me too. Like, all of a sudden she's defying Jessica Lange and threatening to kill her sister? Where did all that come from?

Really not sure who will be killed off, but my housemate has money on the strong man.

I don't think they'll kill him off because A: he's Michael Chiklis and he just arrived, B: he still has unresolved issues with Evan Peters, and C: is also denying his sexuality, but that will probably change once he meets Dennis O'Hare.

Of course, he could still be killed but stay on the show as a ghost (ala Evan Peters in Murder House) but Ryan Murphy said the supernatural elements would be kept to a minimum this season so I don't expect to see a recurring ghost character once the Halloween arc ends.

Interesting article. My initial take was Philly, but this article points more to a Baltimore.
But this idea that people speak consistently I find to be somewhat false. I'm born and raised Central New Jersey, my Mom grew up in Brooklyn New York. My accent is usually different from her's, but sometimes I will pronounce some things with a Brooklyn accent. The word coffee comes to mind. And I will catch myself saying it different ways. It's weird.

Also interesting that this linguist praises DiCaprio for his accents, I know lots of people shit on him when he does one.

I gave this show the benefit of the doubt, and called it pretty good because its first two episodes were decent. They were also just the beginning of something I thought would pick up a bit by now.

Just watched last night's episode, though, and wow was it boring. What's this show's hook? Is it ever going to pick up?

This pales in comparison to Murder House.

I'm convinced that I can't take Emma Roberts seriously as an actress. The character is dull, no mystique about her. Like a teen dabbling in forbidden arts. A real freak show mystic needs more character. But yea, for a Halloween episode this one was incredibly dull, but we'll see.

I'm convinced that I can't take Emma Roberts seriously as an actress. The character is dull, no mystique about her. Like a teen dabbling in forbidden arts. A real freak show mystic needs more character. But yea, for a Halloween episode this one was incredibly dull, but we'll see.

I agree for the most part.

I liked her in Scream 4, though.

I thought the first episode was promising, but after the last two, I'm not so sure. They're kind of losing me. I find myself not caring about any of the freaks so far. And watching a fat Vic Mackey getting a failed handjob from Angela with a plastic third boob isn't exactly spicing things up.

I actually quite liked the last episode. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I was assuming that Mordrake is meant to be kind of a mirror of Bette and Dot? Both characters (Well, all four characters I guess) seem to have the Jekyll and Hyde thing going on.

I was looking through TVLine's American Horror Story Season 4 (and Beyond)... feature where they try to guess the settings for season 4 (this was a while ago...) and beyond. They've got some fun ideas:

(I don't know if I could handle Ryan Murphy Does Politics :x)

They could combine these two and do a dual storyline thing where all the people in the terrifying nursing home coincidentally (?!) went to the same terrifying summer camp as kids.

I especially like the summer camp one. Could be loads of fun incorporating Friday, The Burning, maybe channel some Evil Dead? Amongst lord knows what else. Maybe the camp could be built on top of ancient burial grounds or something for an added dimension....:)

Since people like guessing future seasons...last episode they mentioned an "unfinished Opera"....

How about a take on theater horror ala Phantom of the Opera or Argento's Opera? Premise could provide a lot of fun and would even be able to once again incorporate the musical numbers that seem to be a staple of the show now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Since people like guessing future seasons...last episode they mentioned an "unfinished Opera"....

How about a take on theater horror ala Phantom of the Opera or Argento's Opera? Premise could provide a lot of fun and would even be able to once again incorporate the musical numbers that seem to be a staple of the show now.

Nice catch! That sounds very plausible to me, actually. It would certainly give them a better excuse for including all these song and dance numbers.

I especially like the summer camp one. Could be loads of fun incorporating Friday, The Burning, maybe channel some Evil Dead? Amongst lord knows what else. Maybe the camp could be built on top of ancient burial grounds or something for an added dimension....:)

Seems a bit too much like Freak Show, no? It would still be about performers and stuff. I doubt they would do this directly after this season.

Also I'm pretty sure Ryan Murphy is going to put the next season in our days. That's currently what he's been doing with the odd seasons, since the first one.

I enjoyed the 3rd episode more than the others so far. The focus on Kathy's character made me give a shit about that story line.

The exchange between the twins about the surgery was pretty morbid.

The show needs as much twisty and dandy as possible though. They're really the only creepy elements. How many children / teens are they gonna capture too?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
So was she taking thalidomide to intentionally make her baby a freak? I thought the shame was just from making a show of his birth and letting complete strangers hold him.

Del has been such a dull character since his introduction, and the same is true of his wife.

Emma Roberts is eye candy for the show, but also isn't all that interesting.

What happened to AHS? Hopefully this is just a slow start, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom