• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Freak Show |OT| Let your inhibitions go, it's a crazy night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The season is surprisingly boring so far. I've called AHS a lot of things, but I think this is the first time I've ever called it boring.

While I'd certainly prefer a slow start that gradually builds to something great (instead of Coven, which started off strong and fell off a fucking cliff), I hope it picks up soon.

I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm loving this season so far. It's not as "out there" as I've come to expect from the show but I like the slowed down pace and the build-up so far. As long as its building to something. Coven started off strong and just completely fell apart by the end.

Asylum is supposed to be really good. Is it?
Yep. My favorite season by far.

I'm not the only one that finds this season to be boring, right?
Hard to get through the episodes without wanting to fall asleep.

The clown guy is hilariously not creepy. This season is just a barrel of don't give a fuck for me atm, hoping it would have been better than Coven, but thus far it doesn't seem like it will be.

Murder House and Asylum are both on Netflix.

Coven hadn't arrived last time I checked, but it probably will within the next couple of months. But don't worry because it's not worth watching anyway.
Haha, alright. Girl at work was talking about this show so I wanted to try it. Might watch some later tonight if I can't sleep.

Lazyslob

Banned
Same. Her impersonation was really amusing.

yeah that was funny. i really like dandy. people here dont seem to like him but i think he's creepy as fuck and i think creepier than any of the regular characters even twisty. im also really liking edward mordrake too and i hope these use him more because i thought the parts he was in were awesome.

Haha, alright. Girl at work was talking about this show so I wanted to try it. Might watch some later tonight if I can't sleep.

They're all standalone seasons, so I'd recommend starting with Asylum (Season 2).

Murder House (Season 1) is pretty lousy, and it might turn you off before you get to Asylum, which is actually quite great.

But if you like Asylum, give Murder House a watch afterward. It has its moments. Coven, on the other hand, is pure shit. Complete waste of time.

I'm interested if they're going to go anymore into that rash Dandy gets when he throws tantrums? Or was that just an unimportant throwaway line?

I'm kinda liking the season so far but I think.. I think this season doesn't have any monsters and that's what is making it not scary. For me at least.

In seasons 1-3, the freaks would have been the monsters. I think it would be easy as fuck to write circus freaks as terrifying people/creatures. I was actually really scared of the theme this season going in because, I know this is horrible, but deformities and mutations like these creep me the fuck out. But because they're the main characters of this season, they've taken away the mystery and shown us that they're humans too, they've made them likable or relatable or sympathetic. So while some may find them uncomfortable to look at, they aren't scary. Barely anything is actually scary at all right now in the show, except for the Twisty mouth reveal which was really more shocking and gross than scary.

Mordrake's second face, too. What the fuck? I was expecting some kind of twisted fucked up disgusting tumor-face, teeth sticking haphazardly out of lumps of skin, an eyeball sicking out at an odd angle. Instead it's just.. almost just a second head, on the back of his head. Nothing disturbing or unsettling about it IMO. Same with the lobster kid who's name eludes me right now, they could have made his hands look WAY more disturbing (and have even shown pictures in-show of more severe deformities like his! WTF!) but instead he might as well just be making the "Live Long and Prosper" hand gesture the whole time.

Some stuff might be creepy, sure, like Twisty, but there were scenes in Murder House and Asylum where I jumped, or actually had to look away from the screen. Hopefully that changes though as the series progresses. I had high hopes from seeing interviews where people read the scripts for Freak Show and said it was scarier than any of the other AHS seasons. Patiently waiting to find out what made them think that.

I've really enjoyed this season so far, definitely more than Coven so far. The fact that a lot of the (lesser known) actors have dealt with so much adversity makes it even more special to me.

By the way, Jessica Lange's cover of Gods and Monsters was one of the most enchanting songs I have heard in a long time. That whole montage with Mordrake was just expertly shot.

mantidor

I just catch up.

And I'm about to bail out, it pisses me off because the setting is so good, and they have the actors to pull it off, but its a complete jerk off session by Murphy, up to a man with a 13 inch penis, that was just ridiculous.

It would actually be pretty interesting for the show to try to delve into the sex lives of the "freaks", the famous two headed sisters from Browning's Freaks were actually married both to different men, so it could be a fascinating topic to explore, but Murphy doesn't have the talent to do it justice, it's just tasteless and exploitative at this point.

And conjoined twins very rarely want to be separated, specially ones that old, Murphy is such a terrible writer I'm not surprised he didn't even do his proper research. The whole thing is aimless, it is ironically everything that was wrong with freakshows of the past, these characters are just there and they are paper-thin, they are just there to amuse. Not even Bathes can save this for me and I love her.

I really hope the next episode improves, because it's been pretty bad.

LaNaranja

I agree that it has been super boring so far. The sassy black maid is the best part of the season so far followed by the annoying dude stalking the clown. The actual freak show is just bleh. At least Coven had fun and interesting character interactions.

Surprised to see all the comments about it being "boring." I think it's actually been by far the strongest season so far. I have a thing for the turn-of-the-century circus motif so I'm sure that helps, but the characters have also been awesome. Jessica Lange as usual is fantastic and I love hearing her German accent as Elsa. (And man her eyebrows are perfect.).

And then there's the three-tittied intersex character. My god when she was suggesting the ping-pong act as she swayed her hips, I just about died. The betch slayed me.

The atmosphere has seriously been amazing. It really feels like a creepy, whimsical, somewhat treacherous wonderland that you find yourself compelled to delve into despite knowing better.

Also, the intro itself is beautiful. Awesome stop-motion animation, I watch it in full every time.

Most of all though, I'm loving and adoring the musical numbers. Hearing the twins harmonize on Criminal was really cool, and the David Bowie song in the first episode was also a treat. Specifically though...

Whats this song in season 3?

just started the first episode.

Gods and Monsters by Lana Del Rey. Both versions are nice, but Jessica's rendition just completely won me over. Been listening to it everyday now.

3phemeral

I agree that it has been super boring so far. The sassy black maid is the best part of the season so far followed by the annoying dude stalking the clown. The actual freak show is just bleh. At least Coven had fun and interesting character interactions.

That's Ms. Patti Labelle.

PattiArmFlail.gif

I must say, as much as I hated the musical interjections this season, thus last one I rather liked. Reminded me of those cheesy 80s music videos a la Total Eclipse of the Heart.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
IMDB showed it earlier so I knew it was his time.
It seems Dandy will get interesting now and overall next episode seems promising.

Actor was credited for these episodes and nothing else.

For someone who hated the theme and premise, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite seasons. Loved the background info on the characters.
I thought Twisty was a great character arc and it didnt drag out. Shocked that they killed off Patti's character so quickly especially with no musical number.
The episodes have been interesting so far and this episode in particular gave off a great horror vibe that I hadn't gotten in a long time from this show.

Nemesis_

For someone who hated the theme and premise, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite seasons. Loved the background info on the characters. I thought Twisty was a great character arc and it didnt drag out. Shocked that they killed off Patti's character so quickly especially with no musical number. The episodes have been interesting so far and this episode in particular gave off a great horror vibe that I hadn't gotten in a long time from this show.

I haven't seen the episodes yet but knew this was coming so I wasn't too angry about it being spoilt, but from what I read during interviews with other cast members - this has set the wheels in motion for all kinds of things to happen.

Excited to see where they take it.

I haven't seen the episodes yet but knew this was coming so I wasn't too angry about it being spoilt, but from what I read during interviews with other cast members - this has set the wheels in motion for all kinds of things to happen.

Excited to see where they take it.
I spoiler tagged it. I wasnt thinking about it. The music and cinematography really made this episode that much more enjoyable.

After watching his back story, I began to feel bad for Twisty. It's a shame they had to kill him off so early. Make way for annoying rich white kid. =(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So they make Twisty interesting,
kill him off, and replace him with a jackass.
Sigh.....

I honestly think
the kid is going to get evil from Twisty's "mask."
It seems like that's what they're going for from his first kill.

I honestly think
the kid is going to get evil from Twisty's "mask."
It seems like that's what they're going for from his first kill.
Dandy was twisted and messed up from the get go.
You could see his development from bored spoiled rich kid who desperately seeked attention and wanted to belong with someone. His increased boredom and fascination led him to doing things such as killing the cats which often times are beginning signs of serial killers. He then loved having fun with Twisty since the freaks wouldn't even accept him at the circus. Now he's going to become increasingly deranged and more threatening until he's a full blown serial killer.
I find the spoiled little brat enjoyable for now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Right, but he didn't have the balls to
kill the Maid
UNTIL he gained that. Even she told him flat out "you don't have the balls."

I feel like without that, he wouldn't have done what he did.

mantidor

So they make Twisty interesting,
kill him off, and replace him with a jackass.
Sigh.....

Seriously.

And the scalp clown hair went unexplained... I was really curious about that one.

But this episode was good, even with the absurd snuff films in Berlin mid 30s, I guess I like my terror more grounded in reality, but the whole episode was about some ghost anyway, I don't know what I expected.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I was underwhelmed by the clown's reveal, so I didn't like it as much as I had built it up in my mind. In fact, I expected him to last much longer.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
welp
forgot it was on last night and just been spoiled :(

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Just watched it
I stupidly clicked on this thread before I had and subsequently got spoiled about twisty's death but ultimately it didn't ruin too much, I mean there was no chance that Mandrake would ever take lange this early in the show
I do l like the change. twisty was very one note and Dandy is by far the most interesting character in the show so him getting more screen time and being able to follow his descent will be great.
Lange's story was actually horrific and I found it quite hard to watch. Not just the chainsaw leg thing but that guy sitting on that toilet made me shudder.

Still not sure what the over-arching story is. I assume the new guy coming in trying to kill everyone off and sell their shit but as for everyone else I don't know. Guessing some love rivalry from Sara Paulson - Sara Paulson - Emma Roberts and Evan Peters.

Now the town hostility towards the freaks have gone too I wonder how much the world will open out

Dandy is by far the most interesting character in the show so him getting more screen time and being able to follow his descent will be great.

Not to me, he's just a spoiled, rich, idiot. So now he's going to go on a killing spree...OK, but whatever. At least they gave Twisty a connection to circus freaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom