• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Freak Show |OT| Let your inhibitions go, it's a crazy night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

As if Pepper being in this season didn't link these two already. What's hilarious is Lange being a nun and a freak show person in the same universe. Come on, Murphy... at least put in some effort to make it plausible?

Er... Jessica Lange isn't playing the same character.

dan2026

Probably the best episode so far.

Alas this is about the time each season of AHS falls off the rails.

Edit : Edward Mordrake was indeed excellent. An inspired character.

Good episode.

Disappointed that Twisty is no more. Felt he finally became interesting only for him to end up in hell.

Still Dandy has more potential. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

Edward Mordrake was fantastic. Really hope he's not gone for good.

Holy shit at the guy sitting on that toilet seat. Holy shit at the chainsaw scene.

Best episode of the season so far, we'll see if the rest of the season can keep the same level of quality or if it's peaked earlier than normal.

Probably the best episode so far.

Alas this is about the time each season of AHS falls off the rails.

I was thinking the exact same thing. We're only a couple of episodes away from when the show usually falls to shit, will be interesting to see what happens this time around.

The premise is infinitely more interesting than it has been with the last three seasons, so here's hoping it can at least maintain some level of quality until the finale.

Opto

Banned
Not sure I liked Twisty getting an origin. He was the real sense of horror in the show and now I don't thin Dandy can fill that gap.

Eh. If you pull back the camera far enough she's plays the exact same character in all three season thus far. Washed up, delusional and powerful. Her hopes and dreams are always faded. Only difference is the title S1 Mom S2 Nun S3 whatever one word sums it up, ringleader? I dunno.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Right, but it's just weird they'd make the universes the same with Lange as a Nun and Lange as an amputee being in the same universe. Just is jarring. Same with Evan Peters.

At least with Lana you could make the case she's two headed in the same universe so not totally a different thing.

I just don't like the merging of "two separate stories" with the same actors playing different characters in it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oh yeah, Jessica Lange's flashbacks were pretty fucked up. The entire episode was the...I wouldn't say scariest, but definitely creepiest and most disturbing since Asylum.

Lazyslob

Banned
ah that was a good episode. i hope this isnt the last we see of mordrake and i think dandy will end up being creepier than twisty.

Monocle

Great episode last night. Edward Mordrake is good. This season is good.

Wow at Elsa's flashback. Glad it wasn't overly graphic.

Dandy is such a scamp. I wonder how far he'll go.

Just watched it. Thankfully wasn't spoiled, though I kind suspected it about 10 minutes in. Loved the use of a posseded demon head in a top hat to get backstory on the characters.

I can't unsee sweet tooth with that clown mask. Twisty was heavyset too. The kid better bring it.

I kinda felt bad for Twisty. Poor guy. :(

Can't believe they killed Patti Labelle so early in the show. Let's hope we see more of her in flashbacks.

Terrell

I'm liking the thematic consistency this season most of all. Probably the most consistent AHS has been since season 1. Everything ties back together instead of flailing about in multiple directions.

kirblar

I'm liking the thematic consistency this season most of all. Probably the most consistent AHS has been since season 1. Everything ties back together instead of flailing about in multiple directions.
Asylum was hyper-consistent, but if you didn't realize the Aliens/Nazi stuff was a 50's pastiche (like Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull) it'd look random.

Enco

Enjoying this more than last season.

The intro is easily the creepiest the show has had. The balloon noises are disturbing.

Enjoying this more than last season.

The intro is easily the creepiest the show has had. The balloon noises are disturbing.

The intro is solid and disturbing, but I found Murder House's scarier. Can't comment on the middle two, though.

The music and volume jumps got me a bit.

They just got rid of the 1 of the 2 interesting characters on the show. I'm not sure where this is going, but I don't care about any of the characters from the actual freak show.

Nemesis_

We kind of knew this ever since they announced Pepper for Freak Show, but other fans have come up with ideas as to how the seasons are related and Ryan himself said many of them have been "spot on" which is interesting.

I'm not too angry about it but I do find it bizarre that there's a mother, a nun, a witch and an ex cabaret German ex-part who all look like Jessica Lange living in the same universe.

I really like Ryan's choice for the leitmotifs for his character - here's Mordrake's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWy7DmDlCxQ

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't mind the shared universe thing. In the end I doubt it's gonna change anything.

I'd love to see another modern day season that's set years after the events of season one, where the devil baby is grown up and ruling the world.

Next season to take place
on a Monopoly board
. You heard it here first folks!

I'm okay with that as long as

snpbU7q.jpg

is played by

WfmFE1y.jpg

I've enjoyed this season so far. The ending of this episode was kind of corny with Mordrake eliminating the big threat up until now which was fair enough but then that led to the sappy accepting of the freaks thing. Vick Mackey didn't look too happy about it though, bet he's gonna fuck it up somehow.

Evan Peters pairing up with Emma Roberts was shocking.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's weird how a shared universe exists with the same actors playing different roles.

That's what bothers me. I don't mind the nods and references, but geez. :/ Four Jessica Lange dopplergangers out there. Unless they're going to pull a Cloud Atlus out of their ass, that's kinda breaking the third wall for me.

Finally watched the new ep. Pretty good stuff.

Hopefully the super-sized episodes are done. The pacing was so much better in this week's ep than in the first three. Keep this shit under 50 minutes, pls.

TrutaS

I think the episode moved along nicely pace-wise. However, Mordrake felt like a cheap plot device to tell backstories and remove characters out of the way.

The clown's eloquent explanation of his past was a mess. I would have preferred Mordrake to just read his mind and see flashbacks than having that clunky narration.

Hopefully the super-sized episodes are done. The pacing was so much better in this week's ep than in the first three. Keep this shit under 50 minutes, pls.

I couldn't agree more with everything in this post. I nearly cried tears of joy when I saw a regular length episode of an FX show on my DVR. Forget killer clowns, the scariest thing on FX is Kurt Sutter's inability to edit Sons of Anarchy at all.

Bulk_Rate

Agreed! I hate to sound like an old fart but the 1hr20 episodes take me two work nights to watch!

That's what bothers me. I don't mind the nods and references, but geez. :/ Four Jessica Lange dopplergangers out there. Unless they're going to pull a Cloud Atlus out of their ass, that's kinda breaking the third wall for me.

The last episode builds to a frantic crazed finale. It seems like there's a ridiculous amount of plot to get through in five minutes.

Jessica Lange's voice is heard calling for Lambchop.

Even though the show keeps going, Jessica Lange's disembodied voice continues to call for Lambchop. Nobody acknowledges the voice.

Smash cut to:

WfmFE1y.jpg

Lambchop wakes from her nap, Jessica Lange calls her name again. Lambchop goes for her walk.

Fade to black.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The last episode builds to a frantic crazed finale. It seems like there's a ridiculous amount of plot to get through in five minutes.

Jessica Lange's voice is heard calling for Lambchop.

Even though the show keeps going, Jessica Lange's disembodied voice continues to call for Lambchop. Nobody acknowledges the voice.

Smash cut to:

WfmFE1y.jpg

Lambchop wakes from her nap, Jessica Lange calls her name again. Lambchop goes for her walk.

Fade to black.

I like you.

A top hat is a season 5 clue? Phantom of the Opera confirmed?

I personally was thinking something to do with ...
magic/magicians, maybe Las Vegas or something sorta like Clive Barker's Lord of Illusions.

That, or
Victorian era stuff, which, to be honest, something set in the late 1800s or even early 1900s would be fuckin AWESOME!

Anybody know what Murphy meant with the obvious connections between Asylum and Murder House? I don't recall any literal character connections. The only things both shared were
the whole existence of demons and the mad science aspect.

wildfire

Banned
I finally caught up with the recent episodes and this is miles ahead better than Coven. The background reveal of Elsa was horrible. I needed to take a break after each of the 2 most psychotic scenes. She didn't want to be a whore but she still fell from grace very hard.

The clown was a great character but he needed to go when he did. The shows themes about humans becoming monsters or humane doesn't require his presence anymore.

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode.

Which of the Siamese sisters will shank the other sister first?
Will Jimmy be finally taken down by the same people he is trying to save?
Will Elsa fully realize Mortred picked her because she was still holding onto the hope of becoming an entertainment star?
Where will the various members of the Floridian troupe go after Coney Island remains as the last bastion of Freak shows for the next decade?
Who will sing the 5th performance?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I personally was thinking something to do with ...
magic/magicians, maybe Las Vegas or something sorta like Clive Barker's Lord of Illusions.

That could be cool, although they already did something with magic (albeit real magic as opposed to illusions) last year so I don't think they'll return to that well any time soon.

That, or
Victorian era stuff, which, to be honest, something set in the late 1800s or even early 1900s would be fuckin AWESOME!

That also would be cool, but I feel like that would be too similar to the flashback scenes from Coven.

Anybody know what Murphy meant with the obvious connections between Asylum and Murder House? I don't recall any literal character connections. The only things both shared were
the whole existence of demons and the mad science aspect.

One of the characters in the present day scenes in Asylum mentioned visiting a haunted house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom