• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story : Hotel | First Teaser | Lady Gaga joins the cast

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Ahahaha I completely forgot Stevie Nicks was on Coven holy shit how did I blank out on that. My mind must have blotted out that episode. So bad.

Desperate move from both Gaga and Ryan.

Why is it always a matter of desperation, lol. I see posts like this all time regarding announcements that are just announcements. Gaga's bigger than the show, so it's not really a desperate move. I know she's been interested in dabbling in some acting gigs so this seemed like a good fit. Plus it's sort of in her lane aesthetically.

I have a strong feeling that the core group behind this show are hacks that just got lucky with season one and Asylum. It seems to be a Donny Darko situation where something seemingly went right that lent the creators the illusion of legitimacy while they were really talentless blowhards all along. I was with them for six or so episodes of Coven before it turned to a steaming pile of shit (I still cringe when I hear the name Stevie Nicks), but they lost me basically from the get go with Freak Show. Elsa's singing was my kryptonite, the clown stuff was downright pedestrian, and nothing interesting happened. The two faced dude was campy, and the music in those episodes was cheesy beyond belief. Back stories were uninteresting, and the ending rivals Dexter's for being the most unsatisfying garbage I've witnessed.

I hated it, but was exposed to it regardless because my roommate, bless his heart, is apparently burdened with a stunning lack of taste in tv shows. I'm taking up a collection for the poor soul, so PM me if you're interested in helping someone in need.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Also isn't Murphy taking a back seat on this if he's working on Crime Story?

H3xum

I know I'm echoing what a lot of others have said already, but, man, season 1 and 2 were outstanding....but then season 3 and 4 happened

I at least like the setting for this one...so, I guess I'll hang onto that. I've got no gaga beef. Who cares

Enjoyed Season 1 & 2, thought Season 3 was kinda eh but my girlfriend really liked it.

Last season was awful. What happened?

It was a disjointed mess. The 4th season had a lot of elements that I liked but the narrative started going in several different directions at once around the fifth episode.

Hex

Banned
No fucking musical numbers, no fucking Stevie Nicks and whatever that horse shit was in the last season.
God damn what were they thinking.
Sadly there are asshats that will swarm in and watch regurgitated dung in a bowl just because of stunt casting like this no matter how terrible the writing is and they know it.

kirblar

I have a strong feeling that the core group behind this show are hacks that just got lucky with season one and Asylum. It seems to be a Donny Darko situation where something seemingly went right that lent the creators the illusion of legitimacy while they were really talentless blowhards all along. I was with them for six or so episodes of Coven before it turned to a steaming pile of shit (I still cringe when I hear the name Stevie Nicks), but they lost me basically from the get go with Freak Show. Elsa's singing was my kryptonite, the clown stuff was downright pedestrian, and nothing interesting happened. The two faced dude was campy, and the music in those episodes was cheesy beyond belief. Back stories were uninteresting, and the ending rivals Dexter's for being the most unsatisfying garbage I've witnessed.

I hated it, but was exposed to it regardless because my roommate, bless his heart, is apparently burdened with a stunning lack of taste in tv shows. I'm taking up a collection for the poor soul, so PM me if you're interested in helping someone in need.
The thing about Asylum is that it's structured incredibly well as a season. The final stretch of 5 episodes has an ending for a storyline or character included in each one, something that was hugely surprising given that normally series will try and keep everyone to the end. The motifs at play were also totally era-appropriate (similar to Indiana Jones & the Crystal Skull), so even the crazier elements made sense in context.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
It was a disjointed mess. The 4th season had a lot of elements that I liked but the narrative started going in several different directions at once around the fifth episode.

That's been the case for almost every single season. They introduce far too many story threads than they can seem to manage effectively, resulting in some dropping anti-climatically or simply being forgotten about altogether.

Feels like they write this show one episode at a time rather than as a whole cohesive season.

Nah.

I've had enough this show. No more for me, they always start strong and then very quickly slide into a mediocre mess that so utterly and completely fails to build upon or deliver on the early promise of the opening three/four episodes.

Season 4 was better than 3. Season was angsty teen witch melodrama, Kathy Bates being it's only redeeming factor.

Season 4 did have those completely out of place, stupid musical bits though.

I wish the shows were more like their intros...actually scary/unsettling.

Hex

Banned
Season 4 was better than 3. Season was angsty teen witch melodrama, Kathy Bates being it's only redeeming factor.

Season 4 did have those completely out of place, stupid musical bits though.

I wish the shows were more like their intros...actually scary/unsettling.

Season 3 was coherent.
It was not gold, but it was solid and only had a couple of drops.
Season 4 was complete garbage all around, the story was garbage and all over, there were things put in just for the sake of edgy and shock, the ending was the most horrible horrible ending that could have possibly been done and the music numbers...god damn so horrible.
There was ONE shining light, Dandy. And even he was wasted.

Sulla1980

I missed season 4 completely. Popular opinion here seems to indicate that I did not miss anything of value.

Is that correct?

I missed season 4 completely. Popular opinion here seems to indicate that I did not miss anything of value.

Is that correct?

It is. It started strong but quickly became a real chore to watch. I still can't be arsed to watch the last few episodes and feedback tells me I probably shouldn't bother.

woolley

Kinda makes me not want to watch it, and i hope they don't have Lange back or not in the main role. They have her play the same character every years just with a different accent.

Sulla1980

It is. It started strong but quickly became a real chore to watch. I still can't be arsed to watch the last few episodes and feedback tells me I probably shouldn't bother.

Thanks.

I have no strong commitment to this show. I thought Season 2 and 3 had its moments, but were both fairly uneven.

Actually, I think Stevie Nicks singing was the high point of Season 3 for me.

I never watched the finale after reading feedback. Horrible show now. I won't watch again as long as Lange is attached.

I actually like this idea. I was ok with S1, loved S2 was annoyed with S3 then gave up on S4 after the first episode.

The only minus is that this means singing, much more singing. Name Game was great because it was special. The musical numbers just feel rote and out of place in AHS to me.

Thanks.

I have no strong commitment to this show. I thought Season 2 and 3 had its moments, but were both fairly uneven.

Actually, I think Stevie Nicks singing was the high point of Season 3 for me.

Season 3 is probably the strongest so far. Or, more accurately, the most consistent in terms of quality and story telling.

I never watched the finale after reading feedback. Horrible show now. I won't watch again as long as Lange is attached.

Yeah, I began to really hate Lange throughout the episodes of season 4 I did watch. Her singing was the final straw. And it was never great really, but season 3 showed signs of promise and it's disappointing that season 4 slowly turned into a pile of garbage that makes season 2 look good by comparison.

studyguy

Season 3 is probably the strongest so far. Or, more accurately, the most consistent in terms of quality and story telling.

Season 3 feels like the only season that wasn't basically giving me whiplash in terms of jumping the story every which way. Season 1 was fucking awful in terms of pacing, it starts at a breakneck speed and never stops. Season 2 has issues as well. Season 3 is basically one linear, albeit boring storyline imo, but it stays pretty consistent overall.

4 is just ass that goes nowhere after a certain point. Did they have a writer change after 3 or something?

Is that correct?
Coming from someone who didn't like the freakshow theme to begin with, it was just boring. It turned out in many ways much better than I was expecting but there were too many characters and plotlines that didn't get fleshed out well. Also most of the main cast such as Jessica Lange and to a lesser extent Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson felt like they were playing the same character they've played the last 4 seasons. As typical with most every season, it starts out strong but things begin to unravel sometime after the Halloween episode. S2 was the only season that was able to finish the show strongly, imo. S1 held up pretty well but the last few episodes became a little too much. S3 fell apart after episode 6. S4 never reached the highs of the previous seasons but it never reached the lows of S3. It was just meh.

Wow, I didn't realize they could announce something that could kill my interest faster than actually watching the show.
Not sure why but to each their own. Gaga has always made perfect sense for this show. Curious the direction and execution of S5. Gaga could either be a force of good change for the show or she will further emphasize the shows strengths and flaws.

Ekdrm2d1

American Horror Story : Hotel | First Teaser | Lady Gaga joins the cast

ppl-laughiing.jpg

I fell off at season 3, what I've seen and heard about season 4 sounds like I dodged a bullet. They desperately need to stop re-using the same cast members and cut out the musical numbers.

Katori

This is going to be great. I thought last season was supposed to be Lange's last though? If they can find new characters for her to play that would be fine, but I would hate to see her be the center of the story again (and I would also hate for more retreads).

Also most of the main cast such as Jessica Lange and to a lesser extent Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson felt like they were playing the same character they've played the last 4 seasons. As typical with most every season, it starts out strong but things begin to unravel sometime after the Halloween episode. S2 was the only season that was able to finish the show strongly, imo. S1 held up pretty well but the last few episodes became a little too much. S3 fell apart after episode 6. S4 never reached the highs of the previous seasons but it never reached the lows of S3. It was just meh.

I mostly agree with this. Sarah Paulson's character had an original premise but eventually became the worst part of the show (and that's saying something), and Evan Peters was almost literally the same character he has played before (down to the romance with Emma Roberts). Lange also felt like the same character.

I loved, loved, loved S3. I don't know what's wrong with me. I would actually be interested in a spin-off or revisiting of that season. But I thought S4 was certainly the worst so far all around, most of the middle episodes weren't even scary, it was more like "American Freak Show Story" (with occasional horror/tragic elements). I actually liked the Pepper episode, only because it reminded me of S2 being good. The only high of S4 was Dandy, and I hope they can bring that actor back (but not as any sort of Dandy-like character).

I fell off at season 3, what I've seen and heard about season 4 sounds like I dodged a bullet. They desperately need to stop re-using the same cast members and cut out the musical numbers.

With Lady Gaga cast, it seems like they will be increasing the musical numbers and not decreasing them. Ryan Murphy shows always turn to shit though. Nip/Tuck was his best work and even that went horrible after a couple of seasons.

Zalasta

If you ever wonder why AHS and other Ryan Murphy shows turn out to be such a hot mess, you should watch The Glee Project. It'll give you a better idea how bad his thought process is. The way he describes the characters he envisioned for his contestants is as incoherent as the plots in his shows. He has interesting ideas, but he seriously can't write (or employ people to write for him for that matter).

Season 3 feels like the only season that wasn't basically giving me whiplash in terms of jumping the story every which way. Season 1 was fucking awful in terms of pacing, it starts at a breakneck speed and never stops. Season 2 has issues as well. Season 3 is basically one linear, albeit boring storyline imo, but it stays pretty consistent overall.

4 is just ass that goes nowhere after a certain point. Did they have a writer change after 3 or something?

Yeah, I'd definitely agree with those descriptions of all the seasons.

I've often wondered the same about the writers myself, but I've not cared enough to actually look into it. Hopefully Ratsky/Ivy/Slayven will stop by and drop some BTS info.

3phemeral

With Lady Gaga cast, it seems like they will be increasing the musical numbers and not decreasing them. Ryan Murphy shows always turn to shit though. Nip/Tuck was his best work and even that went horrible after a couple of seasons.
Who knows. They cast Patti Labelle and never used her musically at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom