• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: ? |OT| We know nothing about this season

starmud

the ending really didn't make sense and seemed rush, I'm guessing this leads to what really happened the last night at the house, I'm thinking it will be a fun twist on the docu crew

the ending really didn't make sense and seemed rush, I'm guessing this leads to what really happened the last night at the house, I'm thinking it will be a fun twist on the docu crew

Is there really a lot of ambiguity to what happened, though? It did seem slightly rushed, but it still seemed to conclude the overall arc pretty well. I don't see any real loose ends there.

I did, and you're right. But
that teaser was way too short, and I'm thinking the back half might be more of a "found tape" thing.

Yeah, I noticed that, too.

If we're to believe some big twist that turns the season on its head is coming this next episode, it seems kind of uneventful if it's just them going to the house and the film crew having to deal with ghosts and cannibals. I mean, it's the natural progression of the story, since the filmmakers will want to go to the house in question to check it out, get reference footage, etc., but I don't know how big of a 'twist' that would be. Of course, Murphy might be exaggerating as well about the narrative

It'd be interesting to me if this season somehow ends with the revelation that all of the previous seasons were re-enacts of previous 'true' events, and that's the way they tie them all together, even saying the show they're all apart is within the same type of show and why they are constantly re-using actors. But that's probably more a end you would use for a final season, I guess, and it may just too meta to handle. Unless they had them all being really based on true events, and the monsters and evils from the seasons somehow come after the actors in the last season.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Hope she's in more of the later season. :?
We don't really know what any of the ghosts (or really any character but Lee, Shelby and Matt) look like in the 'real' world

So even if the Butcher or Polks or Lady Gaga or someone make an appearance - they would have to look completely different, right?

This season is really good, it's also my favorite since Murder House and Asylum! About last night's episode... I think they're lying about what happened that night. The ending made sense, but it was too... perfect. I'm guessing they probably sacrificed the Polks or something, they must have done something really bad in order to escape The Butcher. And I bet she is still alive and kicking. Also, the way Shelby referred to Flora in the past tense ("She was such a nice girl" or something to that effect)... I dunno, that sounded weird.

Oh shit I totally called the leg thing! Didn't result in a wheelchair but still, that was pretty harsh, I knew that they were vulnerable from the waist down eheheh. I couldn't tell (is this season especially dark for anyone else or just me? Fucking impossible to see anything) did they hit her with a hammer or an axe? I know they didn't take the foot off but I couldn't tell if they chopped or smashed it.

Well, I wasn't wrong. I liked the effects on his face with the torch, though.

I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not, but they were totally doing stuff to his face in the torchlight, right?

This season is only better than S03 and S04 for me so far. I'm reaaaally trying to keep watching this till the end but it's so boring. :|

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Okay what the hell man, ep 5, why wouldn't they just get in the truck and drive off after Matt blows the hillbilly dudes head off? Instead they just go and lay down in the forest and hide? Not to mention the truck just comes to a gradual stop after the dude who was driving it just lost his head lmao. Am I missing something here? I can't even suspend disbelief on this scene.

Okay what the hell man, ep 5, why wouldn't they just get in the truck and drive off after Matt blows the hillbilly dudes head off? Instead they just go and lay down in the forest and hide? Not to mention the truck just comes to a gradual stop after the dude who was driving it just lost his head lmao. Am I missing something here? I can't even suspend disbelief on this scene.

There was still the maw and another son, and he had the niece to worry about. He may have been afraid that staying to overtake the truck risked his wife's/niece's safety VS the other two yokels?

Keri

Sort of a derail, but still related: I just finished Season 5 on Netflix and I loved it. Seasons 1 and 5 are officially my favorites. I love that Season 5 connected places and characters from other seasons.

.JayZii

Banned
Oh shit I totally called the leg thing! Didn't result in a wheelchair but still, that was pretty harsh, I knew that they were vulnerable from the waist down eheheh. I couldn't tell (is this season especially dark for anyone else or just me? Fucking impossible to see anything) did they hit her with a hammer or an axe? I know they didn't take the foot off but I couldn't tell if they chopped or smashed it.

I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not, but they were totally doing stuff to his face in the torchlight, right?
Yeah, they were emphasizing the shadows of his eye sockets and giving fleeting images of a ghostly pale face with black holes for his eyes and mouth occasionally. Specifically, the first time he turned to answer why he was helping them out of the house through that tunnel.

The show is pretty dark, but I think your tv might have the brightness set to low from the sound of it.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
There was still the maw and another son, and he had the niece to worry about. He may have been afraid that staying to overtake the truck risked his wife's/niece's safety VS the other two yokels?

Wasn't it just the two boys in the truck though? That's the way I saw it but might have missed something. To me it looked like he killed one, and the other one was hurt badly when Shelby kicked him out of the truck bed.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought it was a solid conclusion to the first arc of the season, even though I'm not thrilled that so far this season has been - essentially - Murder House pt 2. I'd like to see something completely new for the back half of the season.

The worst part is how they just leave the shotgun in the bed of the truck before running off into the woods.

What was that Grudge thing about seriously? Seems really random, even for AHS. Seems like Flora has been marked on her arm now tho.

ZOONAMI

Seriously, why does anyone like this fake documentary style? Their intentionally acting poorly.

This show isn't up to Cuba's standards in general after oj. Think I'm done with this season. That episode was terrible.

Yeah, let's go in the woods when there's a perfectly good truck right here.

.JayZii

Banned
Looked like the daughter of the Chinese family that was killed in the house.
It's just funny that the asian ghost is the only one who seems to be coming out of an asian horror film. It was discordant with the style of horror the rest of the season (and series) has had so far.

I would have been down for an AHS season with J-horror influences in a haunted house, but there was literally none of that until that one scene.

Wasn't it just the two boys in the truck though? That's the way I saw it but might have missed something. To me it looked like he killed one, and the other one was hurt badly when Shelby kicked him out of the truck bed.
It was the two boys and the mother. One boy in the back with the gun, one boy driving, and the mother in the passenger seat.

Absolutely ridiculous they didn't keep the gun but I guess in the moment of pure shock and horror it's sorta believable that they'd drop/leave it.

Yeah, they were emphasizing the shadows of his eye sockets and giving fleeting images of a ghostly pale face with black holes for his eyes and mouth occasionally. Specifically, the first time he turned to answer why he was helping them out of the house through that tunnel.

The show is pretty dark, but I think your tv might have the brightness set to low from the sound of it.

I've been watching it on my computer and even with the brightness turned way up it doesn't help much, so maybe the source I'm watching from is just super dark? I have my brightness to around 50-60% (tried upping it today while watching and it didn't help much) but the show just seems REALLY dark for me. Amps up the spookiness at least.

Awesome about the skull lighting thing, I was thinking my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I...just don't know what to think or say anymore. Somehow this show keeps trudging along and we watch it, even though it's usually a mess and the showrunner loves throwing everything but the kitchen sink into each season these days.

There are things I like about it, but I force myself to watch it most of the time. I don't really have an answer for why I do that, but I'm a completionist I guess.

I liked Evan Peters in the earlier seasons and at other times throughout the series, but his overacting is starting to annoy me. Thankfully, it got better and less noticeable as this episode went along.

So now we're done with Roanoke and on to a new story? They said Episode 6 stands alone and marks a change? More convolution?

I...just don't know what to think or say anymore. Somehow this show keeps trudging along and we watch it, even though it's usually a mess and the showrunner loves throwing everything but the kitchen sink into each season these days.

There are things I like about it, but I force myself to watch it most of the time. I don't really have an answer for why I do that, but I'm a completionist I guess.

I liked Evan Peters in the earlier seasons and at other times throughout the series, but his overacting is starting to annoy me. Thankfully, it got better and less noticeable as this episode went along.

So now we're done with Roanoke and on to a new story? They said Episode 6 stands alone and marks a change? More convolution?
Well, the over acting is kind of in line with it being a reproduction of events. It's supposed to be, I think, a little schlocky.

The current theory for Episode 6 is that now that the TV crew is done interviewing the couple about their experiences, they're going to actually go themselves to the house to find out if it's true or not. So the second half of the season might be found footage Blair Witch style.

I hear you on being a completionist with this show though. I really didn't like Freak Show or Hotel but I had to watch them till the end.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

What's "everything and the kitchen sink" about this season though? It's plainly the least overstuffed season of the whole series.

Yeah I feel like this is the most focused AHS has been since Season 1. Aside from the completely random out of place Grudge Girl in the last episode there really hasn't been too much extraneous fluff, everything's been pretty connected and integral and streamlined.

Hopefully they can keep it up for the last 5 episodes.

Edit: Actually from what I remember Coven was pretty focused too, although there were things they hinted at that didn't really go anywhere (ie male witches).

netguy503

Yeah I feel like this is the most focused AHS has been since Season 1. Aside from the completely random out of place Grudge Girl in the last episode there really hasn't been too much extraneous fluff, everything's been pretty connected and integral and streamlined.

Hopefully they can keep it up for the last 5 episodes.

Edit: Actually from what I remember Coven was pretty focused too, although there were things they hinted at that didn't really go anywhere (ex male witches).

Even the teeth falling from the sky and the blair witch stuff in the house?

Anyway, they better show Evan Peter's ass this season. He's show it in every other season, and they finally give us a good reason to show his ass (a gay love scene in the bathtub) and they don't do it. Is Ryan Murphy trolling me? I want my healthy dose of man ass in my AHS season.

Even the teeth falling from the sky and the blair witch stuff in the house?

Anyway, they better show Evan Peter's ass this season. He's show it in every other season, and they finally give us a good reason to show his ass (a gay love scene in the bathtub) and they don't do it. Is Ryan Murphy trolling me? I want my healthy dose of man ass in my AHS season.

Well yeah, the Blair Witch and teeth stuff fits in pretty well with the whole blood moon hillbilly Gaga-witch undead colonist stuff. I'll concede the teeth is a little out there but not as out there as the Grudge Girl. But the Blair Witch stickmen especially fit right in, I'd never think to point that out as odd for this season/story.

Your Evan Peters comment makes me think, we've seen him as a Bush Man in pictures, and we know that in the first 5 episodes, he was technically an actor playing that dude in the olden times... is this gonna be the first season of AHS where the actors play multiple characters within the same season? Like are the first 5 episodes technically a season within a season? Obviously the leader of the colonists, if we follow it being a dramatic reenactment, would not be played by Kathy Bates again were she to show up in the back half, right? Although for all we know she's legit dead now and wouldn't show up, so I guess a better example would be the ghosts of the nurses, they'd have to be played by different people if they show up again right? Because they were, in context, played by actors when we met them before?

Oh god Murphy don't fuck this up.

Logically that would be it, but I could see the "ghosts" possessing the "actors". I want more creepy Gaga.

It also raises the question of, if they go to the house to find out if it was real, it'll have to be a different house right? Or else when they were shooting the reenactment, they would have run into spooks?

Or maybe the production company is gonna go back specifically during the blood week. Though didn't they also specifically say the ghosts were around all the time but could only harm humans or take physical form during blood week?

This is a pretty cool concept but gosh there are a lot of ways it could easily collapse in on itself.

What's "everything and the kitchen sink" about this season though? It's plainly the least overstuffed season of the whole series.

I guess it's all kind of related for once, but:

Ghost kid
Settlers
Pig monster
Hillbilly family
Other ghosts in house (misc. like the girls)
Monster on stairs

...and surely more.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I guess it's all kind of related for once, but:

Ghost kid
Settlers
Pig monster
Hillbilly family
Other ghosts in house (misc. like the girls)
Monster on stairs

...and surely more.

The ghost kid is one of the settlers though, and so is Piggy Man.

The ghosts in the house are just ghosts - a staple of AHS at this point. (I think the only season without ghosts was Asylum?)

The hillbillies are a separate faction, sure, but they were in the first episode of the season, and their weird pig kids were in episode 3, so it's not like they just came out of nowhere.

The season so far has really just been Matt, Shelby, and Lee dealing with indoor ghosts, outdoor ghosts, and hillbillies.

The ghost kid is one of the settlers though, and so is Piggy Man.

The ghosts in the house are just ghosts - a staple of AHS at this point. (I think the only season without ghosts was Asylum?)

The hillbillies are a separate faction, sure, but they were in the first episode of the season, and their weird pig kids were in episode 3, so it's not like they just came out of nowhere.

They also had a deal with the ghost colonists. Everything except for the rando Grudge Girl and maaaaaybe the teeth is pretty tightly connected into the main storyline this season.

Razmos

Who were they? Honestly I've tried my hardest to forget as much of Hotel as possible because it was just way too grotesque for me and sadly I think some of the sounds and imagery will carry with me forever ):<
Sarah Paulson played Sally the ghost and
Billy Dean Howard
and the guy who played Dandy in freak show played both a model
and the ancient filmstar vampire who turned Gaga

Top Bottom