• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: ? |OT| We know nothing about this season

You've got to love the logic of people in horror movies.

This is the house where 1) they dealt with racist neighbors 2) had someone/something break into their home and fuck with them 3) find weird disturbing video tapes in the basement 4) witness human sacrifice in the forest

Let's bring a child to live here

This is the house where 1) they dealt with racist neighbors 2) had someone/something break into their home and fuck with them 3) find weird disturbing video tapes in the basement 4) witness human sacrifice in the forest

Who wouldn't do the same?

Man this scares me, my grandfather was neglected in his nursing home and he died earlier this year because of it.

To be fair, that's on Lee.

Toa TAK

Banned
So we've got pig loving, human sacrificing rednecks, and then random nurses, AND THEN some ghost girl.

I'm waiting on zombies and aliens next.

The only person who wants the child there is a drunk desperate woman who's willing to commit felony kidnapping. There is no rational thought here.

The couple also clearly doesn't want their life savings to go poof. It's only been stressed about 500 times. They also clearly thought it was the hillbillies pranking them until the end of this episode when they watched the tape. While I would have sold back to the bank at a loss after seeing the tape, I still think their refusal to leave is largely believable for the story's purposes.

That being said, the splitting up easily in the woods trope is lame.

I also don't think the theory about about the documentary being the actors while we watch real events is a good one. At least not yet. At the beginning of each of the last two episodes the show contains the "this show contains graphic images, watch at your own risk" warning. The only graphic images we've seen are from the actual dramatized story and not the speaking documentary. Maybe this will change though.

Man, I love this season. It even has the structure of ghost reenactment show nailed down. They must've watched a ton of A Haunting for this. It makes me miss that show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pretty solid follow up to last week's premiere. I was legit unsettled when Dennis O'Hare went back into the house and filmed it Blair Witch style. I had to pause for a second to regain my composure lol.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
#2spooky4me

0RkQiCW.jpg

.JayZii

Banned
I feel like those nurses foretell another bloated season with way too many characters/subplots/subgenres going on. I'd love a quality over quantity season of this show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I feel like those nurses foretell another bloated season with way too many characters/subplots/subgenres going on. I'd love a quality over quantity season of this show.

I have the same worries. Giving the spooky old house a completely unrelated backstory is exactly what they did in Murder House (heck, just having a spooky old house populated with ghosts is exactly what they did in Murder House), and just reeks of the writers running out of ideas. Hopefully it's just a one time thing and not a sign of things to come. (ha)

Monocle

I'm not really feeling this season's setting and antagonists at all. The TV show format is a fun change, but the actual setting strikes me as a regression to conventional and rather uninteresting subject matter. A creepy house? Demented country people with a fixation on swine? Evil nurses?

Hotel was such a breath of fresh air in comparison. I'll be surprised if this season outshines Murder House.

Toa TAK

Banned
Glad I wasn't the only one getting Murder House vibes after that episode. The Nurses could've been cut from the whole thing.

Haven't they said this season will be the season that starts to connect the mythos of all the others? That makes me think the obvious echoes of Murder House may not be coincidental.

Haven't they said this season will be the season that starts to connect the mythos of all the others? That makes me think the obvious echoes of Murder House may not be coincidental.

Don't they say that about EVERY season? I love long-form narrative, but I really do think these are pure anthology format, and have virtually nothing in common (outside of a stray nod, or tiny character cameo as per Freakshow).

Just finished watching the second episode. So far, I'm enjoying it more than the last few seasons (well, Hotel became great some episodes in, but it didn't begin as strong as Roanoke), mostly because it's so similar to Season 1 (in some aspects, it's exactly like Murder House, which makes me think this is completely intentional). I can't wait for next week's episode, and it's been a while since I said this of American Horror Story. Hope they keep up the good job.

Don't they say that about EVERY season? I love long-form narrative, but I really do think these are pure anthology format, and have virtually nothing in common (outside of a stray nod, or tiny character cameo as per Freakshow).

Do they? I don't know, I haven't been following closely for awhile, but I thought the idea that the seasons were connected were something they only recently started talking about.

The interview sections are completely ruining the show for me.

I think that's sort of the point though...

No one gives a shit about the interview portion of shows like this...

and then the "re-enactments" are purposefully cheesy. I think the tone of the show and the "motivations" are intentional.

Top Bottom