• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Deer or venison are so overpopulated that fawns or baby deer tend to face starvation due to lack of edible vegetation that can be consumed by other deer in their crowded ecospheres.

It's a really big problem.

Not to mention the huge amounts of car accidents, sometimes lethal, they cause.

I have no issues with people hunting deer as we killed off their natural predators--wolves and mountain lions.

I can't stand endangered trophy hunting, though.

I'd say hunting overpopulated animals is more ethical than factoring farming.

Hunters still do more for conservation and maintenance of habitats for animals than any average sjw twitter person who calls for someone's entire family to be beheaded when they see a picture of them with a deer carcass.

darscot

Hunters still do more for conservation and maintenance of habitats for animals than any average sjw twitter person who calls for someone's entire family to be beheaded when they see a picture of them with a deer carcass.

Can we please drop this whole deer argument, it has nothing to do with this. The deer population wouldn't be fucked if the predators where not destroyed via hunting. So this whole hunting is so great is fucking laughable. And a lion and a deer are in no way even remotely similar.

Yes please keep the poacher/hunter in business so he can resume his illegal activities.

Please point to where the fuck I said that. Oh wait I didnt, your just to mad to come up with an actual response.

As pointed out multiple times upthread, this jerk's status as a business owner does not protect him from the wrath of the market place. He'll never see justice in a criminal courtroom, so this is the best we can get.

So social justice for a dead lion justifies people losing jobs, I see. Its a fucking lion. Its dead. Punish him legally or don't bother at all. Taking things into your own hands is never the right course of action as most people can't see past there emotions.

At no point am I defending what he did, he is a shit lord, the secretary single mom that is supporting her kids is not. We don't even have all the facts behind it, although it looks like he is guilty we don't know yet if he knew the lion was Cecil before he killed it. Taking justice into your own hands because you think you are some enlightened SJW doesn't solve shit.

All poachers should be executed.

Or focus on the real issue, corrupt governments, terrible education and poverty.

Its funny, there was a thread about social outrage, GAF is just as guilty as twitter, tumblr, facebook ect for outrage. People are actually wishing for a person's life based on a paragraph (or even a title in many peoples cases).

55k is too little, you just know these asshats are rich. Should be prison time as well.

Hunting is fine when it's for food and the game isn't endangered & it's legal.

Poona

The pic makes their guilt all the more obvious, trying to tell me that they didn't notice the research collar when they posed for this pic? I'm sure they went after this specific lion.

That isn't Cecil. That's another lion he previously killed.

USC-fan

Banned
Wow the social shaming is just terrible.

I don't understand how people can get so OK with mob justice.

If guy broke the law let him have his day in court. Seems like he paid $50k to go on a hunt. Big game hunting a big business in Africa. 60 minutes did a whole story on it. Do not think this guy knew about all this. http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/from-pets-to-prey/

Really do not like this trend on twitter, yelp and Facebook.

And some people defend this shit saying the money goes to locals.

He literally is a poacher. They dragged food behind a truck to get the lion out of the national park where he could be shot, tortured and skinned.

The man is a psychopath and should be in prison

He also has a prior history of doing shady shit like this.

Just another example of the rich deciding that they can do whatever the fuck they want.

If guy broke the law let him have his day in court. Seems like he paid $50k to go on a hunt. Big game hunting a big business in Africa. 60 minutes did a whole story on it. Do not think this guy knew about all this.http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/from-pets-to-prey/

Didn't the guy already get in trouble for this same exact thing before? I'd have to think he'd understand the laws, especially after getting pegged for it in the past.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Can we please drop this whole deer argument, it has nothing to do with this. The deer population wouldn't be fucked if the predators where not destroyed via hunting. So this whole hunting is so great is fucking laughable. And a lion and a deer are in no way even remotely similar.

Calm your tits guy. Deer was just an example. I dislike a ton of modern hunting practices, including trophy and closed fence. As far as us being responsible for deer overpopulation, yea we're most likely responsible. However 98 percent of hunters aren't the evil right wing monsters who make pick up truck upholstery out of bald eagle beaks and cheetah furs like most of you want them to be.

Enron

Banned
I think your leading the charge on stupidity here, people get emotional and say dumb shit, what is your excuse? Life in prison sounds about right, to see something as beautiful as a lion in the wild and want to kill it and watch it suffer is about on the same level of seeing a child and wanting to molest it. I'm not even saying its his fault but when your this bent inside we really don't need you walking around free.

I'm sorry, but i'd have to REALLY REALLY try to out-stupid the bolded.

Jag

If guy broke the law let him have his day in court. Seems like he paid $50k to go on a hunt. Big game hunting a big business in Africa. 60 minutes did a whole story on it. Do not think this guy knew about all this. http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/from-pets-to-prey/

Except he won't get his day in court. It happened in freaking Zimbabwe. Nothing will happen to this dude. Social justice is the only justice he'll get.

I'm not a fan of it either, but I will allow it in this case.

Life in prison sounds about right, to see something as beautiful as a lion in the wild and want to kill it and watch it suffer is about on the same level of seeing a child and wanting to molest it..

Not everybody views the life of a lion on the same level as raping a child.....

Please point to where the fuck I said that. Oh wait I didnt, your just to mad to come up with an actual response.

So social justice for a dead lion justifies people losing jobs, I see. Its a fucking lion. Its dead. Punish him legally or don't bother at all. Taking things into your own hands is never the right course of action as most people can't see past there emotions.

At no point am I defending what he did, he is a shit lord, the secretary single mom that is supporting her kids is not. We don't even have all the facts behind it, although it looks like he is guilty we don't know yet if he knew the lion was Cecil before he killed it. Taking justice into your own hands because you think you are some enlightened SJW doesn't solve shit.

Or focus on the real issue, corrupt governments, terrible education and poverty.

Its funny, there was a thread about social outrage, GAF is just as guilty as twitter, tumblr, facebook ect for outrage. People are actually wishing for a person's life based on a paragraph (or even a title in many peoples cases).

We both know there won't be significant if any jail time. Any fine will mean little as the man is wealthy. So cutting off the source of his funding is the next best thing. Governments aren't willing or seem to be able to protect wildlife so yes exposing this piece of shit is what I would consider true justice.

Cecil the lion didn't have a chance to defend himself. I'd say a bit of mob justice is fair.

jerry1594

Venison sausage is really, really tasty.

Like, 100x better than bacon tasty.
I can respect that. Don't like bacon though.
There isn't any. I grew up hunting and box stand hunting (often with baiting) is just plain boring. Sit in a box and wait. But it would be "heartshotting", not "headshotting" btw.

On the other hand, ground level slipping and trailing is certainly much more sporting and involved.

Venison is almost exclusively used to refer to deer meat now. I'm guessing that was the context.
I guess some people are just sadistic assholes. You may have seen that gif that deer's head getting blown up like a balloon,.

We both know there won't be significant if any jail time. Any fine will mean little as the man is wealthy. So cutting off the source of his funding is the next best thing. Governments aren't willing or seem to be able to protect wildlife so yes exposing this piece of shit is what I would consider true justice.

Cecil the lion didn't have a chance to defend himself. I'd say a bit of mob justice is fair.

Cecil the lion didn't get a chance to defend himself because he is a fucking lion. Jesus christ. He's a dead lion. Mob justice is never true justice. It always results in collateral damage and is NEVER fair as it never uses facts only emotions.

geeeeezuz, whomever is running their twitter account is fucking clueless. wtf is wrong with these people?

You got trolled hard, 6h old account. They took down their facebook, website and if they had a twitter that aswell.

Eh, maybe he does.

Yeah he kind of does. Look how he spends his money. If he doesn't have his livelihood he can't go on his little killing adventures anymore.

He doesn't. It's dangerous thinking to want that to happen. It's mob justice at its finest.

People who blow $50k to trophy hunt are better off without that kind of money.

Why shouldn't he be able to spend his $55,000 how he wants?

Cecil the lion didn't get a chance to defend himself because he is a fucking lion. Jesus christ. He's a dead lion. Mob justice is never true justice. It always results in collateral damage and is NEVER fair as it never uses facts only emotions.

You got trolled hard, 6h old account. They took down their facebook, website and if they had a twitter that aswell.

Haha! What a fucking joke. Basically you'd rather let this guy keep on doing what he does ( not the first time he has done apparently) because you don't want to see people type harsh word on the Internet. Well don't worry your pretty little head because soon enough there won't be any lions left so you won't have to read anymore about how people are genuinely upset about how this lion was killed.

Am I harassing the guy? Is anybody in this thread? Who are you lecturing?

Regardless of whether or not the harassment is "valid" or not, you would have to be a drooling moron not to see it coming. So maybe instead of scolding a bunch of people on a message board for actions they aren't involved with because "wont someone think of the children," you should point your ire at this jackass who brought all this upon them.

That's what happens when you do something to embarass or shame your family -- people need to think before they act, because it affects everyone around them. We can't give someone a pass on crappy behavior because other people get hurt by it. A man may be a great father, but if he rapes or murders someone he'll be taken from his child and the stigma will stick over his family ... but that doesn't mean we should limit the negativity directed towards him.

There is a massive impact to the killing of this lion -- from his cubs most likely being killed by other lions to the drop in tourists that help support the conservation efforts. The act he engaged in isn't victimless.

Now, direct harassment of people just simply associated with him is wrong -- but he deserves the public shaming he is receiving.
Nobody is calling for his employees to be harmed. Quit make no stuff up to validate your argument. The guy is scum and deserves no sympathy.

Did I say my statement was directed at anyone in this thread? What I said was merely a statement. Thats it. And a statement that is very relevant to this situation since of course theres already public fallout and people are attacking his practice online which could potentially turn into something else involving those around him. All I put out there is some food for thought that maybe some person will read and think about. So relax guys. I'm not directing anything towards anyone nor am I defending him. Lets not pretend that people that are the target for massive hate never has that hate affect those around them. Theres a reason why family member of public ally hated individuals publically break off all communication and try to stay as far as possible from them or even potentially change their names.

Dai101

Banned
I think your leading the charge on stupidity here, people get emotional and say dumb shit, what is your excuse? Life in prison sounds about right, to see something as beautiful as a lion in the wild and want to kill it and watch it suffer is about on the same level of seeing a child and wanting to molest it. I'm not even saying its his fault but when your this bent inside we really don't need you walking around free.

kdCB8Ia.gif

He's free to spend it on whatever he wants. People are free to treat him like a piece of shit for it.

That's horrible thinking. It advocates mob justice.

Well they indirectly affect his livelihood so yeah I'd say they do. Some bad yelp reviews aren't going to be this guy's downfall.

Indirectly affect his livelihood? That's a weird way of sprucing up mob justice. The Yelp reviews may not bring him down. It's just sad people actually want that to happen.

Piggus

What's laughable is people like you not being able to grasp really basic concepts about how an ecosystem works. What exactly do you do for the environment and conservation efforts other than chastise people on the internet for something you don't understand?

Krejlooc

Banned
Did I say my statement was directed at anyone in this thread? What I said was merely a statement. Thats it. And a statement that is very relevant to this situation since of course theres already public fallout and people are attacking his practice online which could potentially turn into something else involving those around him. All I put out there is some food for thought that maybe some person will read and think about. So relax guys. I'm not directing anything towards anyone nor am I defending him.

Then dont go around acusing people of validating harassment when we were just "having a discussion" about the realities of being a shithead and owning a business.

Haha! What a fucking joke. Basically you'd rather let this guy keep on doing what he does ( not the first time he has done apparently) because you don't want to see people type harsh word on the Internet. Well don't worry your pretty little head because soon enough there won't be any lions left so you won't have to read anymore about how people are genuinely upset about how this lion was killed.

Death threats are a big deal, as are threats to attack his place of work.People sending death threats isn't going to stop him, if your mad get off your SJW ass and talk to whoever your government official is about hunting laws being enforced and strengthened. But nope, because I am against death threats and justice without process I want ALL the lions to die. ALL OF THEM. Right? Not everything has to be on one side of the spectrum or the other.

I actually fucking donate to WWF and if I knew of good anti poaching ones I would donate to them aswell, and I'm a fucking student. I've done more then people yelling on twitter.

Death threats are a big deal, as are threats to attack his place of work.People sending death threats isn't going to stop him, if your mad get off your SJW ass and talk to whoever your government official is about hunting laws being enforced and strengthened. But nope, because I am against death threats and justice without process I want ALL the lions to die. ALL OF THEM. Right? Not everything has to be on one side of the spectrum or the other.

I actually fucking donate to WWF and if I knew of good anti poaching ones I would donate to them aswell, and I'm a fucking student. I've done more then people yelling on twitter.

Actually I think that probably would.

So what's your solution? Make it illegal to discuss news stories on Twitter?

Be conscious of what you're attributing to. Let's put every one angry at him in one room with him. Would you still be on the side of those yelling at him? Would you yell? Probably not. Every one would look foolish. The Internet makes us look like a single voice but it's actually a giant, giant group.

Then dont go around acusing people of validating harassment when we were just "having a discussion" about the realities of being a shithead and owning a business.

Didn't know "people" is a direct reference to anyone in particular.
Perhaps that guy should have considered that his illegal actions could affect his family and employees, then.
And I said people use that as an excuse to cause harm without caring who gets hurt as long as he suffers as well. This initial discussion stemmed someone bringing up collateral damage after all.
Did I say you directly? No. Did that include everyone whos hating on him? No. Does that mean it doesn't happen? No. Or are we just going to pretend an angry mob however justified the outrage may be has never done any harm?

Zabka

Be conscious of what you're attributing to. Let's put every one angry at him in one room with him. Would you still be on the side of those yelling at him? Probably not. Every one would look foolish. The Internet allows us act as a single voice in a mob without knowing it.

What the fuck are you talking about

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Since when do wrestlers act as bodyguards for wildlife?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Be conscious of what you're attributing to. Let's put every one angry at him in one room with him. Would you still be on the side of those yelling at him? Probably not. Every one would look foolish. The Internet allows us act as a single voice in a mob without knowing it.

What?

ndirectly affect his livelihood? That's a weird way of sprucing up mob justice. The Yelp reviews may not bring him down. It's just sad people actually want that to happen.

I was saying his illegal purchases indirectly affect his livelihood. As now he'll likely need legal counsel, his business will suffer and his name will be tarnished, etc.

I wasn't advocating any kind of mob justice, I was just pointing out that some yelp reviews are probably the least of his problems at this point.

What the fuck are you talking about

You wanted a solution. I said be conscious about what you're attributing to. Understand your voice is one of thousands judging him constantly.

I was saying his illegal purchases indirectly affect his livelihood. As now he'll likely need legal counsel, his business will suffer and his name will be tarnished, etc.

I wasn't advocating any kind of mob justice, I was just pointing out that some yelp reviews are probably the least of his problems at this point.

The mob justice appears to be tied to his problems hence closing the office for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom