• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the fuck are you on about? People lose there jobs and lively hood all the time for doing illegal shit. You're basically saying he should immune from justice because he has a job.

Not immune from justice but shaming, threats, spamming bad reviews (for his practice which is irrelevant to his crime) shouldn't be something acceptable. It's retribution at its finest.

Did I say my statement was directed at anyone in this thread? What I said was merely a statement. Thats it. And a statement that is very relevant to this situation since of course theres already public fallout and people are attacking his practice online which could potentially turn into something else involving those around him. All I put out there is some food for thought that maybe some person will read and think about. So relax guys. I'm not directing anything towards anyone nor am I defending him. Lets not pretend that people that are the target for massive hate never has that hate affect those around them. Theres a reason why family member of public ally hated individuals publically break off all communication and try to stay as far as possible from them or even potentially change their names.

If here were real death threats authorities would be involved by now. No one in his circle except his dental practice is being attacked with mild calls to not have his practice patronized.

That's horrible thinking. It advocates mob justice.

Indirectly affect his livelihood? That's a weird way of sprucing up mob justice. The Yelp reviews may not bring him down. It's just sad people actually want that to happen.

That's what should happen.

What's laughable is people like you not being able to grasp really basic concepts about how an ecosystem works. What exactly do you do for the environment and conservation efforts other than chastise people on the internet for something you don't understand?

Killing this lion does not help the environment ONE bit. Lion numbers are increasingly not sustainable that we can have things like this happen constantly.

Death threats are a big deal, as are threats to attack his place of work.People sending death threats isn't going to stop him, if your mad get off your SJW ass and talk to whoever your government official is about hunting laws being enforced and strengthened. But nope, because I am against death threats and justice without process I want ALL the lions to die. ALL OF THEM. Right? Not everything has to be on one side of the spectrum or the other.

I actually fucking donate to WWF and if I knew of good anti poaching ones I would donate to them aswell, and I'm a fucking student. I've done more then people yelling on twitter.

I do talk to my local congressmen and senators (in NY in case you were curious) I donate to the WWF and have taken part in protests too. So my " credentials" are just as good as yours. What's your point?

Be conscious of what you're attributing to. Let's put every one angry at him in one room with him. Would you still be on the side of those yelling at him? Would you yell? Probably not. Every one would look foolish. The Internet makes us look like a single voice but it's actually a giant, giant group.

Yes.

Not immune from justice but shaming, threats, spamming bad reviews (for his practice which is irrelevant to his crime) shouldn't be something acceptable. It's retribution at its finest.

Of course he should be shamed. He did something extremely shameful! He's some wealthy sadistic asshole that mercilessly tortured a lion. You're basically saying "Oh well I guess he got away with it."

Fuck that. He deserves every bit of Internet justice coming his way and I'll shead not a single tear for his lively hood.

213372bu

Banned
What this guy did is bad. It was illegal and he ruined the lives of 25 other animals as a result. That's terrible. The whole situation with illegal poaching is enormously disappointing and the low population numbers on some beautiful and important animals is frightening.

On the other hand, the pure vitriol of people asking for the man to be hunted, tortured, put to death etc. is fucking disgusting.

Get your blood lust and mob-persecution tendencies in check when you type on the internet. Some of you in particular sound like sociopaths.

Zabka

Come on with what? We're having a discussion aren't we? I answered your question. If this is your response I can assume our discussion is over.

There is no discussion because you have nothing.

The only way to discourage trophy hunting tourism is public shaming. I'm not cool with death threats but his dental practice is the funding source for illegal poaching. He has no one to blame but himself.

USC-fan

Banned
Of course he should be shamed. He did something extremely shameful! He's some wealthy sadistic asshole that mercilessly tortured a lion. You're basically saying "Oh well I guess he got away with it."

Fuck that. He deserves every bit of Internet justice coming his way and I'll shead not a single tear for his lively hood.
He not being shamed. People are targeting the business where looks like 20 other people work.

Oh well fuck those guys. Their boss did something I don't agree with. Nothing at all he did at work btw.

Its not OK however you spin it. This does nothing to stop the problem with big game hunting. Lets not use this to raise money to help protect the lions.

Fuck that it way more fun to try and ruined people lives.

There is no discussion because you have nothing.

The only way to discourage trophy hunting tourism is public shaming. I'm not cool with death threats but his dental practice is the funding source for illegal poaching. He has no one to blame but himself.

The only way is public shaming? Education? Better laws regarding trophy hunting? Enforcement of these laws? Saying shaming is the only way is not helping your argument.

Yes. His work, his practice, is his source of income. Should his next job suffer the same? Chances are it will if mob justice has anything to say, he wouldn't be the first person to have his job prospects dramatically changed. If your argument is his source of income is part of the problem then making changes regarding trophy hunting will be difficult.

He not being shamed. People are targeting the business where looks like 20 other people work.

Oh well fuck those guys. Their boss did something I don't agree with. Nothing at all he did at work.

Its not OK however you spin it.

Again you're saying because he owns a business should be somehow immune to people ire. Maybe this asshole should have been thinking of his employees before he went and did something both disgusting and illegal.

Fuck him and his business.

I think the backlash is a good way to curb behavior like this. I would like to see a ban on trophy hunting travel. If these people have fifty five grand they want to put towards conservation, let them, but not to go kill for pleasure.

Banana Stand

Neo Member
Again you're saying because he owns a business should be somehow immune to people ire. Maybe this asshole should have been thinking of his employees before he went and did something both disgusting and illegal.

Seriously. He was in a position of responsibility. The asshole failed his employees and he is solely responsible if the office is shut down, not the people posting yelp reviews.

Zabka

Oh well fuck those guys. Their boss did something I don't agree with. Nothing at all he did at work btw.

Its not OK however you spin it. This does nothing to stop the problem with big game hunting. Lets not use this to raise money to help protect the lions.

Fuck that it way more fun to try and ruined people lives.

You don't think it will cause the next rich asshole to think twice before he hands a briefcase full of cash over to poachers? I hope more international trophy hunters are called out and the whole gruesome business is cut off at the source.

The purpose of going after his business is not to inform the public his wrong doings, it's primarily to make him jobless and ultimately worthless. Him poaching isn't relevant to his dental practice. It won't stop him from being horrible, it won't fix his wrong doings, it won't help fight against poaching, it won't accomplish anything except sate some anger.

You don't think it will cause the next rich asshole to think twice before he hands a briefcase full of cash over to poachers? I hope more international trophy hunters are called out and the whole gruesome business is cut off at the source.

This won't cause people to think twice. Your best bet is helping improve conditions there (the place where the lions are) and educating people on how wrong it is.

Its not OK however you spin it. This does nothing to stop the problem with big game hunting.

This position is naive and unrealistic.

People being educated as to what the dentist in that area does with the money you give him to jab iron hooks into your head, and then choosing, based on that education, to no longer give that dentist money so that he can't spend that money going on illegal safaris and hunting rare animals illegally is a net positive.

The potential that the people he employs will be caught in the crossfire is shitty, but then again, it's not as if this is the last job they will ever have, and stances like yours absolutely depend on the idea that there will never be another job for these skilled people, and the loss of this job will inevitably lead to a lesser quality of life that will be really hard to come back from.

OR

It's just as possible the people working underneath him will recieve the governmental assistance that is their right as taxpayers until they find another dentist who isn't a bad person who does bad things so heinous that they become national news, and resume plying their trade for fair pay in the market.

But your position suggests that the bad person doing the bad thing not recieve any sort of social backlash for his shameful actions because the people underneath him must be spared.

It's sort of a weird mutation of compassion at play that has the benefit (such as it is) of never really forcing rich criminals to bear some semblance of responsbility for their harmful actions. It's like the concept of compassion is hollowed out and filled with a thick jelly of cynicism and encouragement.

The purpose of going after his business is not to inform the public his wrong doings, it's primarily to make him jobless and ultimately worthless. Him poaching isn't relevant to his dental practice. It won't stop him from being horrible, it won't fix his wrong doings, it won't help fight against poaching, it won't accomplish anything except to sate some anger.

Says you. If people are making a point of informing the public and his patients about what kind of psychopath he is. Then so be it! I sure as hell would want to have my kid's teeth worked on by this scumbag.

Zabka

This won't cause people to think twice. Your best bet is helping improve conditions there (the place where the lions are) and educating people on how wrong it is.
Maybe we could donate and they could set up a nice nature preserve where the lions are tagged and it's illegal to hunt them. That should keep them safe.

Please explain how you are going to eliminate the profit motive for illegal poachers without going after the trophy hunting tourists.

USC-fan

Banned

You understand hunting lions is legal? Seems he just didn't have the correct paperwork.
hunting big game is legal. Seems this guy just got ripped off.

The paperwork was not correct and that's why he got in trouble.

Easy Google search will show you can hurt lions in this nation for about $30k. This guy spent way more than that.

Wereroku

The purpose of going after his business is not to inform the public his wrong doings, it's primarily to make him jobless and ultimately worthless. Him poaching isn't relevant to his dental practice. It won't stop him from being horrible, it won't fix his wrong doings, it won't help fight against poaching, it won't accomplish anything except sate some anger.

To be fair it will stop him from poaching so it's not entirely worthless to the effort of stopping poachers. The sad truth is that a person's business is an extension of themselves and thus if we punish his source of income it will punish him. It's not much different from people going after the vet that shot the cat with a crossbow. Only in this case he is the boss so the only way to hurt him is to hurt his business.

Trophy hunting big game needs to go away. It's a relic of abhorrent human behavior. The myths about it permeate talking points and make the concept one that's still in contention, but it should not be. We don't socially accept dog fighting, bull fights, bull baiting, ext. And this is not acceptable either.

213372bu

Banned
When people say "but this will educate poachers"... what are they referring to?

The yelp reviews?

The torture lust?

The blood lust?

Because I see posts here that swing very clearly into each one of these categories.

Nafai1123

Banned

Of course it will. He won't have the money to go on these expeditions anymore. That's the best we can hope for rather than dream about some pie in the sky scenario where these hunting clubs change their desire for money or the Zimbabwe government toughens its stance against poaching.

USC-fan

Banned
Did he not lure this lion out of a protected area? He's a shitty poacher plain and simple.
The people he hired did. Sure they do this all the time. This time they got caught because they killed the wrong one. Its why they tried to destroy the GPS. But they found the GPS tag. Thats how they got caught.

This is big business over there. Just Google search it...

You think this guy paid these guys $50k to just carry his arrows? If this was his plan he didn't need to pay someone $50k.

Just doesn't make any sense.

This big game hunts are just like a carter fishing trip.

Wereroku

That Twitter account is linked from their site, so they've either lost control of it or are trying to pull a Protein World off the back of a decapitated lion.

https://twitter.com/RiverBlufDental/status/626109326512422913

I don't think they'll pull it off.

Oh god they really don't understand what is going on. That is tone deaf as all hell. I really hope someone hijacked that twitter account.

its a fake account. See above.

Ok that restores some faith in humanity.

If here were real death threats authorities would be involved by now. No one in his circle except his dental practice is being attacked with mild calls to not have his practice patronized.
Your argument is basically "nothing has happened yet so continue your hate". Like I said I'm not defending the guy and if you want to hate him go ahead. I hope nothing happens in this case to anyone around him that doesn't deserve it. But again, lets not pretend that it hasn't in the past. Not sure where you're even getting this whole thing where I said his employees or family or friends etc are being threatened. I never said that. I merely said it has happen and will continue to happen in incidents like this. Does that mean it will happen this time? No,

Ayt

Banned
The people he hired did. Sure they do this all the time. This time they got caught because they killed the wrong one. Its why they tried to destroy the GPS. But they found the GPS tag. Thats how they got caught.

This is big business over there. Just Google search it...

You think this guy paid these guys $50k to just carry his arrows? If this was his plan he didn't need to pay someone $50k.

Just doesn't make any sense.

This big game hunts are just like a carter fishing trip.

If you are going to spend 50K to hunt an animal you should probably fucking know who you are dealing with.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm not entirely against the idea of hunting (though I personally never would), but I don't get what the thrill of "big game hunting" is if you simply lure the animal minding it's own business out into the open to shoot it.

What's the point of killing just to kill?

The question answers itself, I think. Some people just get a boner from ending life. It makes them feel powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom