• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynomutt

So ? is it basically like luring a Lion say... out of Bronx Zoo and hunting it? Do we have protected sanctuaries in America? I know of animals on the endangered list and preservation areas but do we have a similar setup?

What type of enjoyment is it that you derive from killing an animal? Genuine question. I just can't imagine I'd feel any joy at all even if I had to kill to 'survive' let alone just to earn a trophy like the hunters I look at in the photos which always accompany these threads, with their crazy, shit-eating grins, spooning carcasses, their pants moist with pre-cum. Is it the feeling of a job well done or the satisfaction of knowing that in a zombie apocalypse kind of scenario, you would probably fare better than others?

I personally don't kill that which I will not eat. I don't hunt for trophy. It's also a family tradition in which the Italian men did in my family. I've been going since I was a child when even my grandfather was capable. I"m doing it now with my father and if I have boys they'll do it with me.

"moist with pre-cum"

Holy shit some of you people.

Poona

It's weird that most headlines I've seen are referring to the lion by name. Was this some kind of famous lion? Did anyone know its name before today?

Yes, you can find articles, pictures and videos on him before he was killed.

He was quite well known (not that overly well known worldwide like some famous celeb). As a lion that lived in the wild he was probably one of the most well known with many tourists wanting to get photos and videos of him just so they can say they saw him too.

id aruge the hunters i know enjoy the hunt over the taking of life.

if i eat a burger i dont enjoy the fact that the cow is dead but im not gonna cry over it im gonna eat this delicious burger ya know

The end goal of eating a burger isn't to kill an animal. The end goal there is to enjoy a meal, it's just that you find it completely inconsequential whether there was suffering involved in producing that meal. But the end goal to hunting is to kill an animal. When you're eating a burger you're not looking for harming, you're just indifferent toward it. Which is still bad, but not nearly as fucked up.

And come one people, let's stop defending this guy. He paid $55,000 because he wanted that lion - it's no accident.

Who's defending him, exactly? They're defending hunting, not poaching. I don't agree with hunting but poaching is obviously worse.

Is the whole cutting off a lions head a regular practice among big cat hunters?

I've just never heard of someone taking a Lions head as a trophy before.

Piggus

Killing an animal for sport/recreation is disgusting and vile.

Nice edit. ;)

I'm still going to point you to my earlier post though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173248764&postcount=319

Hunting for food/survival is not the only reason why people hunt. It's extremely important from an ecological standpoint, and when you put hunting in within the context of conservation, it's also more humane than how animals are treated in farms.

The end goal of eating a burger isn't to kill an animal. The end goal there is to enjoy a meal, it's just that you find it completely inconsequential whether there was suffering involved in producing that meal. But the end goal to hunting is to kill an animal. When you're eating a burger you're not looking for harming, you're just indifferent toward it. Which is still bad, but not nearly as fucked up.

Who's defending him, exactly? They're defending hunting, not poaching. I don't agree with hunting but poaching is obviously worse.

The end goal of hunting is not to kill an animal, it's to ensure that animal wasn't killed without reason and doesn't go unused. I would agree with you if people just shot animals and left them there, but that's just not how it works and would be really disrespectful to the animal. A deer still ends up on someone's plate. The only difference between that and a steak is how it was cultivated, and one could argue that near-instant death via rifle is a more humane way of doing it than holding it in place and cutting its throat.

railGUN

Banned
I'd love to post some honest answers to some of these completely loaded questions but I'll just get dog piled with straw man argument after straw man argument after straw man argument. Just admit, y'all have your mind made up, and any rationalization, like controlling deer populations, eliminating invasive species from rivers, contributing to wildlife associations etc. etc. etc. will either be ignored, or twisted into some logic to support your already made up mind.

So ? is it basically like luring a Lion say... out of Bronx Zoo and hunting it? Do we have protected sanctuaries in America? I know of animals on the endangered list and preservation areas but do we have a similar setup?
From what I gathered, they have a protection area for animals to not be hunted. Around the area is fair game. Someone broke Cecil's collar and put him outside the protected area. So that means he would seem like fair game.
Luckily they did some research and figured out the lion was not legal game.

I figured if he wanted to kill a lion, there would probably be lions in the hunting ground. I think he demanded a big lion, which is why Cecil was illegally put into the grounds.
Which is why I am not fully believing him. I would have asked them questions before shooting. He is still at fault somewhat.

He went through a licensed Hunting Operation to obtain what he believed to be a legal license to hunt a lion. He did nothing wrong on his part legally, which is why the Tour Guide and the landowner are now sitting in jail and he is not.

You'd have to be pretty dense to think luring a lion wearing a GPS collar out of a national park is on the up and up.

Nah. When I hunted the end-goal was to enjoy time with family, and sitting out in the woods appreciating the sights and sound. The meat, fur, and other useful parts it provided were all a bonus. And I did actually feel guilt for every animal I took. Some of the best hunts were those we came away empty handed.

BamfMeat

He went through a licensed Hunting Operation to obtain what he believed to be a legal license to hunt a lion. He did nothing wrong on his part legally, which is why the Tour Guide and the landowner are now sitting in jail and he is not.

He's not in jail because if he were, they'd take a huge hit to their hunting industry.

To his credit, he's released a statement.

http://www.startribune.com/zimbabwe-2-to-appear-in-court-for-killing-cecil-the-lion/318828251/

Walter J. Palmer, 55, of Eden Prairie, a practicing dentist in Bloomington, issued a statement addressing the killing on July 1 of Cecil, which has sparked outrage around the globe.

“I hired several professional guides, and they secured all proper permits,” the statement read. “To my knowledge, everything about this trip was legal and properly handled and conducted.

“I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt.”

Palmer, who has on his record a conviction for poaching a bear in Wisconsin several years ago, said he has not been contacted by any authorities in Zimbabwe or the U.S. about his killing the lion, but added he will cooperate with investigators.

“Again, I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion,” the statement concluded.

I don't like it, but I appreciate that he's come out and said that "Hey, I did wrong. I'm sorry."

I still say that ignorance is no NO excuse, but I'm good with this and I hope that he will learn to check shit out before he does another big game hunt.

HeySeuss

And come one people, let's stop defending this guy. He paid $55,000 because he wanted that lion - it's no accident.

While that may be true, we don't really have any proof of that just yet. Do you really think he paid that money knowing he was going to kill a lion that was very popular that lived in a preserve? Knowing full well the fallout that he would get from doing that?

I would tend to believe he didn't know he was paying to kill THAT lion, merely A lion.

eznark

Banned
I think I've been pretty clear that I don't give a shit if he knew who or what the lion was or not. Ignorance is not an excuse. Period. Let me say this again - Ignorance is not an excuse. I don't care what the hunting place told him, I don't care what permits they said they had, I don't care. Just because you commit a crime in ignorance of the law (or in this case, someone told you it was OK) doesn't make you not culpable. Period.

Actually there are many instances where that is not true, but I won't hold you not knowing that against you.

I still say that ignorance is no NO excuse, but I'm good with this and I hope that he will learn to check shit out before he does another big game hunt.
You realize what he said is basically the exact picture I have been painting, right?

I just don't understand how shooting an animal dead doesn't fuck you up mentally. I freaked out when I almost ran over a cat while driving the other night. And that was entirely that little fucker's fault.

Enron

Banned
You'd have to be pretty dense to think luring a lion out of a national park is on the up and up.

Are you certain the hunter is even aware of that? That's for the guide to know.

Again, the guide is in jail. The hunters who paid him for the hunt are not. There's a reason for that.

Bossun

Again, the guide is in jail. The hunters who paid him for the hunt are not. There's a reason for that.

He's a rich cunt hunter, they're probably not.

He's not in jail because if he were, they'd take a huge hit to their hunting industry.

http://www.startribune.com/zimbabwe-2-to-appear-in-court-for-killing-cecil-the-lion/318828251/

I don't like it, but I appreciate that he's come out and said that "Hey, I did wrong. I'm sorry."

You really think this statement is coming from his sense of guilt? More like out of pure necessity in the face of a mounting tidal wave of controversy.

Brakke

Banned
Yes, you can find articles, pictures and videos on him before he was killed.

He was quite well known (not that overly well known worldwide like some famous celeb). As a lion that lived in the wild he was probably one of the most well known with many tourists wanting to get photos and videos of him just so they can say they saw him too.

Yeah I've been poking around. When I was looking earlier, virtually every search result was dominated by this news, and all these articles were referring to the animal as "world-famous lion Cecil" and all and I had no idea what they were talking about. They all assumed familiarity. I guess I'm out of the loop on famous animal news, gotta shore up on that this week.

Blader

Nah. When I hunted the end-goal was to enjoy time with family, and sitting out in the woods appreciating the sights and sound. The meat, fur, and other useful parts it provided were all a bonus. And I did actually feel guilt for every animal I took. Some of the best hunts were those we came away empty handed.

Heh, I think you could always get that takeaway from camping too.

Riposte

So if someone went about killing the neighbourhood cats, decapitate them placing their heads on their wall (maybe make some pillows out of their skin), you wouldn't think they were a psycho? I'm pretty sure you'd be in the minority.

If a neighborhood cat and an african lion were exactly the same in terms of how humans see and treat them (e.g., the culture of hunting), you would almost have a point.

More to the point, look at the way you are using "psycho". It's synonymous with "asshole" or "jerk", something that doesn't really work when talking about mental illness (or the lack of it).

What's amazing is that most everyone in here agrees. Hunters and non-hunters alike. Poaching is shitty.

that should be the only take away of this. so many times poachiong goes unreported. now a debate on how to fight poaching should arise not a debate centered around hunting/ hate campaign against a dentist

Heh, I think you could always get that takeaway from camping too.

Of course you could. But venison is delicious, and deer overpopulation is a very real thing in some areas. So may as well try and get some of that meat while you're out in the woods. Main reason I quit hunting though was because rest the family became too busy. And going alone just wasn't fun.

Dalek

There's no way in hell he wasn't aware of what he was doing-especially if he shelled out that much money. This fucker is basically saying "I"m sorry I was caught"

I just don't understand how shooting an animal dead doesn't fuck you up mentally. I freaked out when I almost ran over a cat while driving the other night. And that was entirely that little fucker's fault.

You realize women used to go round up the chickens and chop their heads off not too long ago? This isn't just some male thing (based off your asinine penis comment) and people prior to the advent of refrigerators all did just fine.

StayDead

This is really shitty.

I really hate that our species has people like this hunter who kill animals for fun. It's like they ignore the fact we've already completely wiped out entire species and we're still sending many more to extinction. How do they care so little about nature. I just don't understand. In a way I don't want to understand.

I hope that man is caught and punished to the full extent of the law for what he's done.

Cursory research of Hwange National Park would show that Cecil was its main attraction.

I'm fairly certain most people would look up information on where they're traveling to.

Jag

So you think he knew who the lion was? Seems rather far fetched.

I never said that. I call him a liar because he plead guilty to lying to Federal Authorities in the past about his illegal poaching activities. I also believe he is lying now about Cecil. He did the exact same thing to Cecil by luring it out of a protected sanctuary.

Did he know the lion he shot was Cecil? It's irrelevant but I am sure his guides knew and he said he listened to them. They also destroyed the collar, so if they didn't know before, they certainly knew after.

The "remorse" he feels is not for killing the lion. How can anyone believe that given his history??? His remorse is for being exposed and suffering the consequences of internet justice.

BamfMeat

Actually there are many instances where that is not true, but I won't hold you not knowing that against you.

You realize what he said is basically the exact picture I have been painting, right?

Please feel free to prove me wrong. When is ignorance of something an excuse to let you off? And even if it is, how many of them involve the killing of sentient beings?

As an example of an analogy I think of with this - I'm also for the death penalty, but there has to be undisputed proof that the person that committed the crime was the one that did it. IE, there can be no ambiguity. If the authorities kill an innocent person, they are on the hook for that and should be held accountable. The fact that they "didn't know" and were only going on what they had in front of them isn't enough for me. If they explain themselves, I'm more likely to have sympathy. But if a judge gives a guy the death penalty for something that can't be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, that judge needs some severe punishment.

And yes, I do. Until I'd heard it from him, I was going to believe he was a d-bag. He had a history of it, why would things be different now?

You really think this statement is coming from his sense of guilt? More like out of pure necessity in the face of a mounting tidal wave of controversy.

There's no way in hell he wasn't aware of what he was doing-especially if he shelled out that much money. This fucker is basically saying "I"m sorry I was caught"

I'M TRYING TO BE FAIR HERE! :)

Beefy

I dislike hunting when the animal isn't used for food. But this guy is lower then that , he is just pure scum.

eznark

Banned
Please feel free to prove me wrong. When is ignorance of something an excuse to let you off? And even if it is, how many of them involve the killing of sentient beings?

Almost any client - professional relationship where the client is paying the professional to act on their behalf, the client is (generally) unlikely to be held culpable as long as he can prove he had no knowledge of the wrong doing. Tax filing errors, legal errors resulting in contempt, improper permitting resulting in poaching.....

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This piece of shit deserves an arrow shot up his ass.

I hope he fails as a dentist and goes bankrupt.

Machine

My mom was recently talking about when she was a little girl growing up on a farm. Her mother would take a live chicken, behead it, strip its feathers, butcher it, and cook it for dinner. It's fascinating how in such a less than a century something that was a relatively normal part of everyday life for millennia has become a shocking and upsetting act to some people. People that buy a plastic-wrapped hanger steak or chicken breast from the local market have such a disconnect from what happens to get that meat onto their table.

The end goal of hunting is not to kill an animal, it's to ensure that animal wasn't killed without reason and doesn't go unused. I would agree with you if people just shot animals and left them there, but that's just not how it works and would be really disrespectful to the animal. A deer still ends up on someone's plate. The only difference between that and a steak is how it was cultivated, and one could argue that near-instant death via rifle is a more humane way of doing it than holding it in place and cutting its throat.

Not sure why you think I'm somehow ok with steaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom