• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

diffusionx

Gold Member
He went through a licensed Hunting Operation to obtain what he believed to be a legal license to hunt a lion. He did nothing wrong on his part legally, which is why the Tour Guide and the landowner are now sitting in jail and he is not.

I don't believe this for a second. I think this guy knew exactly what he was doing. When you bait a lion out of a protected reserve to a place where you can shoot it, that is acting in bad faith no matter who you paid or hired. You might as well blame the lion for not realizing where the reserve ended.

It's also Zimbabwe, which is a failed state. The fact that Mugabe's government is tasked with protecting these animals from poachers and rich Westerners is very sad.

BamfMeat

In lighter news, did anyone notice the owner of Antoinette Farm?

Honest Trymore Ndlovu

It's like a name out of a bad english translation manual.

Even if he didn't do anything wrong "legally", he still paid thousands of dollars to hunt endangered species for fun, not just this lion. That is some behavior that should be publicly vilified. I

It shouldn't be vilified by default. There have been legitimate reasons for the granting of a hunter's license for an endangered species. Last year someone paid over $350,000 to hunt a black rhino. But it was under the pretense that he could only hunt one very specific rhino. An old rhino that could no longer reproduce, and was overly aggressive to others. Also all that money went back into conservation efforts and they'd have had to put the rhino down regardless of whether it were a hunter or conservation agent.

Enron

Banned
So you truly believe he had no idea anything was amiss?

I don't actually know for sure. But neither do you. What we do know, is that all of these things that were done illegally or did not happen were the responsibility of the business conducting the hunt, not the clients of that business.

ohlawd

Guess I missed that part. Ugh, that's heartbreaking :(

I don't know shit about preservation and crap

can we not swoop in and save those cubs from getting killed by other lions? will it take a lot of money to shoot anything that moves with a tranquilizer and get them safely?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If we take the only side of the story at face value sure. His people are saying it was done legally. Hope so. Baiting is gross.
It cant have been legal because he killed a lion that was not legal to kill.

Kinokou

Ow this is really horrible considering the very likely consequnces of this ending as 25 dead lions in the near future.

And why is it even legal to hunt with arrows in the first place? If you hunt you should shoot to kill, there should not be room for suffering.

Enron

Banned
I'm not mad, I just find it sad and pathetic that anyone could post something so ignorant and unintelligent.

At least my posts make sense. Not ragelording and calling for people to get killed or imprisoned for life for shooting an animal.

I don't actually know for sure. But neither do you. What we do know, is that all of these things that were done illegally or did not happen were the responsibility of the business conducting the hunt, not the clients of that business.

I'm not asking about legality.

I'm asking for your personal opinion.

darscot

can we not swoop in and save those cubs from getting killed by other lions? will it take a lot of money to shoot anything that moves with a tranquilizer and get them safely?

Its the natural order of things, another male will take over his pride kill the young and have his own children. Nothing can be done about this.

BamfMeat

Its the natural order of things, another male will take over his pride kill the young and have his own children. Nothing can be done about this.

There's lots that can be done. The question is, will anyone?

It's a protected species, you'd think they'd try to at least move them to a new home.

Enron

Banned

I have no reason to believe that he did anything wrong, nor the other hunters who were with them. They were on a guided hunt. Unless there was a big sign that says NOW ENTERING _______ STATE PARK DO NOT HUNT UNDER PENALTY etc. I have no reason to suspect that they knew something was amiss.

eznark

Banned
I'm guessing he never entered the preserve

Having met and talked with people who go on these African hunts, I believe that he had no idea something was amiss.

These guys aren't hunters, they are trigger men. They sit in a blind, or on a bluff, or in a tree and wait for the animal to be lured/chased/coralled into a kill box then they pull a trigger.

He paid $55k for a lion to a licensed professional hunting agency with international credentials and let them do all the work.

He's a rich privileged white guy, why do we all of a sudden expect he did his own due diligence?

dabig2

It started on our good friend Honest Trymore Ndlovu's land! What more due diligence do you need?

Well, in a country known for its rampant illegal poaching, I guess it sounds legit and I sure won't question a thing after paying $55,000 in cash. I'm gonna go take a nap in the car while you guys do your thing.

I have no reason to believe that he did anything wrong, nor the other hunters who were with them. They were on a guided hunt. Unless there was a big sign that says NOW ENTERING _______ STATE PARK DO NOT HUNT UNDER PENALTY etc. I have no reason to suspect that they knew something was amiss.

You truly don't think he knew where he was?

I don't know much about it myself, honestly, but I'm told there's nothing that can be done more often than not.

eznark

Banned
You truly don't think he knew where he was?

Why do you think he was on the protected land? I haven't read anyone else claim that.

Well, in a country known for its rampant illegal poaching, I guess it sounds legit and I sure won't question a thing after paying $55,000 in cash. I'm gonna go take a nap in the car while you guys do your thing.
Apparently you'd be surprised.

darscot

At least my posts make sense. Not ragelording and calling for people to get killed or imprisoned for life for shooting an animal.

I think your leading the charge on stupidity here, people get emotional and say dumb shit, what is your excuse? Life in prison sounds about right, to see something as beautiful as a lion in the wild and want to kill it and watch it suffer is about on the same level of seeing a child and wanting to molest it. I'm not even saying its his fault but when your this bent inside we really don't need you walking around free.

darscot

It's a protected species, you'd think they'd try to at least move them to a new home.

They could take them to a zoo, but that is no solution. Just a very slim chance these cubs will ever grow up to be normal lions. More human interference will not help.

Usobuko

Banned
Is there a reason why the guides would brought him to Cecil if this American hunter don't specifically ask for it? Because that's the one the guides knew its whereabouts compared to other wild lions?

dabig2

Apparently you'd be surprised.

I'd be surprised by the complete ignorance of the entitled? Nope, not really. I know not all of them are complete, abject sociopaths. Some of them are just plain ignorant.

Which is why I hope they still nail this guy to the wall, even if it proves he's merely incompetent and too trusting. Ignorance should no longer be an excuse when it comes to cases like this. You have the power, you have the money, and you will also share in the blame if the guys you paid off happened to be pieces of shit.

So maybe, just maybe, do your homework and be more active in these "hunts". With great reward comes great risk.

Is it ethical though to interfere with animals like that? I don't think so. Prime directive and so on. Same with nature documentarians, even if it is a little baby you don't interfere with the natural order of things.

How do you feel about people who "eat for taste", which most meat-eating (animal killing) falls under? Alternatively, they could sustain themselves on non-animal food (or at the very least fish and insects) and acquire the same nutrients.
I think this starts falling under debates about the ethics of eating animals and that's not something I feel like going into in this thread (or generally online).

It shouldn't be vilified by default. There have been legitimate reasons for the granting of a hunter's license for an endangered species. Last year someone paid over $350,000 to hunt a black rhino. But it was under the pretense that he could only hunt one very specific rhino. An old rhino that could no longer reproduce, and was overly aggressive to others. Also all that money went back into conservation efforts and they'd have had to put the rhino down regardless of whether it were a hunter or conservation agent.

Yes, there are exceptions, like when putting your dog to sleep is the right thing to do. But in the case of Cecil the Lion I doubt that he thought he was contributing to some cause, even if he allegedly didn't know he would be poaching the lion.

eznark

Banned
I'd be surprised by the complete ignorance of the entitled? Nope, not really. I know not all of them are complete, abject sociopaths. Some of them are just plain ignorant.

Which is why I hope they still nail this guy to the wall, even if it proves he's merely incompetent and too trusting. Ignorance should no longer be an excuse when it comes to cases like this. You have the power, you have the money, and you will also share in the blame if the guys you paid off happened to be pieces of shit.

So maybe, just maybe, do your homework and be more active in these "hunts". With great reward comes great risk.

The dentist didn't pay anyone off. They hired a professional hunting & safari operation that had been in operation since 1992 and was licensed by the countries gaming authority.

Zimbabwe is charging that this outfit conspired with the landowner to poach a lion. At this time Zimbabwe is not claiming the hunter did anything wrong.

He followed appropriate protocol and depended on licensed professionals to do their job professionally and legally. It appears they did not and as such they have been arrested.

Jag

Made a GIF from the video of Cecil and added it to the OP. Such a beautiful, majestic animal.

BamfMeat

They could take them to a zoo, but that is no solution. Just a very slim chance these cubs will ever grow up to be normal lions. More human interference will not help.

I personally would rather see them in a zoo where they have a chance at half a life rather than be killed off by a jealous male and be destroyed completely. I can't imagine they're better off dead than alive?

Is it ethical though to interfere with animals like that? I don't think so. Prime directive and so on. Same with nature documentarians, even if it is a little baby you don't interfere with the natural order of things.

We do it all the time - I don't see how ethics comes in when we're talking about saving an already endangered animal from extinction, even if they themselves may not ever breed.

eznark

Banned
How does the $55,000 paid to hunt lions compared to the typical rates of such activity? Norms or much more?

I think it's ballpark, maybe a little on the high end but not egregiously so. A lot depends on the season, cost of permitting, etc. First google hit shows $20-40k for some African Lodge Hunt outfit.

Robot Pants

Didn't it say the lion was lured out of the park? Lol
And had a gps collar?
Lol
I get the feeling he knew what he was doing

darscot

The dentist didn't pay anyone off. They hired a professional hunting & safari operation that had been in operation since 1992 and was licensed by the countries gaming authority.

Zimbabwe is charging that this outfit conspired with the landowner to poach a lion. At this time Zimbabwe is not claiming the hunter did anything wrong.

He followed appropriate protocol and depended on licensed professionals to do their job professionally and legally. It appears they did not and as such they have been arrested.

The thing you have to realize is everyone involved knows this is completely wrong. He is exactly paying people off. He is paying the officials of Zimbabwe to make it legal so he can come do this. Every person that does this is part of it, that is why they pay 55K plus another huge chunk of change while they are in the country. They just keep pumping money in to people that are desperate and they get what they want.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm guessing he never entered the preserve

Having met and talked with people who go on these African hunts, I believe that he had no idea something was amiss.

These guys aren't hunters, they are trigger men. They sit in a blind, or on a bluff, or in a tree and wait for the animal to be lured/chased/coralled into a kill box then they pull a trigger.

He paid $55k for a lion to a licensed professional hunting agency with international credentials and let them do all the work.

He's a rich privileged white guy, why do we all of a sudden expect he did his own due diligence?
When he took it upon himself to finance a hunting expedition and personally pull the trigger?

His money, his operation, his kill, his actions, his responsibility.

MJPIA

Guess I missed that part. Ugh, that's heartbreaking :(
It varies between article to article but I read at least one say that only 6 of those cubs are his and will get killed by the other male.
While still awful and saddening 6 is better than 24.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cecil-lion-illegall-poached-killed-american-hunter-zimbabwe-groups-say/
As Animal Planet's predator expert David Salmoni explained to CBS News, Cecil had six cubs who will now probably be killed by a male lion from another group or coalition, as they are known.

This article outright names Palmer as helping tie the dead animal to the back of their vehicle which would seem to imply he knew they were luring a lion out of the park.
http://news.yahoo.com/two-zimbabweans-face-charges-over-death-cecil-lion-002019159.html
The Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force charity said Palmer and professional Zimbabwean hunter Theo Bronkhorst had gone out at night with a spotlight and tied a dead animal to their vehicle to lure Cecil into range.

"Palmer shot Cecil with a bow and arrow but this shot didn't kill him. They tracked him down and found him 40 hours later when they shot him with a gun," the charity alleged.

It added that the hunters unsuccessfully tried to hide the dead lion's tracking collar, which was part of a University of Cambridge research programme.

"Cecil was skinned and beheaded. We don't know the whereabouts of the head," the charity alleged.

http://www.lionconservation.org/lion-collars.html
I was curious and looking up the tracking collars they use and they would probably resemble one of these.
collars.jpg

Cecil probably would've had a vhf collar which you need a fieldworker to track down to record data whereas a gps collar just sends data to a server and would've automatically send a email when the lion stops moving.

J-Rod

People are seriously suggesting life in prison, and even death for this guy? These revenge fantasies are gross. I'm sure this guy is already rehabilitated.

darscot

I personally would rather see them in a zoo where they have a chance at half a life rather than be killed off by a jealous male and be destroyed completely. I can't imagine they're better off dead than alive?

We do it all the time - I don't see how ethics comes in when we're talking about saving an already endangered animal from extinction, even if they themselves may not ever breed.

Its not jealousy its survival, in order for the species to survive cubs need protection. Lions are not people they don't adopt. Its harsh but the sooner these cubs are dead they sooner the females will be ready to mate and create cubs with a protector that have the best chance to survive. They might get lucky the females will care for them as long as they can, I think its two years before males are pushed out of a pride.

Lakitu

st5fu
People are seriously suggesting life in prison, and even death for this guy? These revenge fantasies are gross. I'm sure this guy is already rehabilitated.

Life in prison and death are certainly extreme. But already rehabilitated? GAF needs a :rolleyes icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom