• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

RELAYER

Banned
In theory, it could be his last World Cup. He'll be 33 during the next one. If his fitness slips or he gets hurt, he might not have another chance. He's already got more money than God, so I don't know if I blame him too much for wanting to try and gut it out.

Also, that Cahill golazo was truly something special. Hot damn.

It's more pride than anything else. He's got enough money to live forever in total comfort, this is about proving he's the best. It's about having no regrets. Honestly, I know that I would do the exact same thing he's doing right now. I totally get it.

All that said, I'd rather he didn't play so we'd have an easier time

I'm talking about his quote, not his dilemma.
It's undeniably a meathead quote.

Revs beat Richmond in the Open Cup, will play Rochester next.

Looks like the only MLS teams that didn't win their matchups are the Red Bulls, Chivas, DC, and RSL

Sydney Leroux @sydneyleroux
On a scale of Casillas to Ochoa, how’s everybody's day going?

holy shit, lol

gutshot

@GrantWahl: US Soccer: Jozy Altidore has strained left hamstring, not available Sunday, hopeful will be back during WC. Besler OK.

Osorio

Revs beat Richmond in the Open Cup, will play Rochester next.

Looks like the only MLS teams that didn't win their matchups are the Red Bulls, Chivas, DC, and RSL

The way Petke handled the Open Cup pisses me off so bad.

He seems relieved that we got knocked out.

TROPHIES MOTHERFUCKER, TROPHIES

This is worth reading.

On Zelalem:
The next recruiting target for Klinsmann and Herzog is Gedion Zelalem, a precocious 17-year-old attacking midfielder who has already played for the first team at Arsenal. Born in Germany to Ethiopian parents, Zelalem lived from age 9 to 15 in the Washington D.C. area. If his father, Woldyes, becomes a U.S. citizen before Gedion turns 18 next January—and sources say Woldyes is attempting to do so—then Gedion would automatically become a U.S. citizen per the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

“Gedion is another special talent,” says Klinsmann. “He was in the same [U.S. under-15] camp as my son two years ago, and they spoke German. We’ve followed him throughout this whole stretch and are constantly in touch with him. We watch his games with the [Arsenal] under-19s. We are in touch with [Arsenal executives] Ivan Gazidis and Arsene Wenger. Our interest is huge in the kid.”
Also, Jermaine Jones bought Tori Spelling's house in LA.

xbhaskarx

Whoa.

What I came here to post isn't quite as interesting...
10449967_733231343423231_4819639757198839188_n.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
Somebody tell me that Bradley wont be playing again. I swear its like everytime he touched the ball, it was guaranteed the other team would have possession within the next 3 seconds.

Feels like he has good ideas, but lacks the talent to pull them off.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Somebody tell me that Bradley wont be playing again. I swear its like everytime he touched the ball, it was guaranteed the other team would have possession within the next 3 seconds.

Yes, we're going to bench our best player after one bad game. That's exactly what's going to happen.

Nesotenso

are you for real? How long have you been watching soccer?

RELAYER

Banned
Lol.
I wish I could find the post in the World cup thread during the game where someone simply said "Please end Bradley's life".

gutshot

Take it easy, guys. Probably quite a few soccer newbies these days with it being the World Cup and all.

Sean, Bradley is our best player and the guy who we depend on to both maintain possession and create scoring chances. He had an uncharacteristically horrible game on Mon. Everyone agrees with that. But there is no way they'd bench him. It would be like the Heat benching LeBron in game 2 of the NBA Finals because he shot 30% and had 7 turnovers in game 1. This is the World Cup and you have to play your best players and hope they produce. I have confidence you will see a very different Bradley against Portugal.

Nesotenso

Take it easy, guys. Probably quite a few soccer newbies these days with it being the World Cup and all.

yeah, I didn't mean to be a dick. If you are new to the sport, Bradley is the most important player we have who didn't have the best of games.

And if you are not new to the game, I don't know how anyone can seriously consider benching him.

gutshot

Tim Howard was interviewed on the Dan LeBatard Show today and he implied that Jozy wouldn't be back for the remaining group games. I forget the exact quote but it was something to the effect of "we'll have to get through these group games and then see how he feels".

I'm feeling oddly calm about sunday, moreso than I was for the Ghana game.

Also *insert quip about washed up players coming to the mls in regards to Kaka etc* Exciting time for the MLS coming up.

daoster

Me too. But that's probably because it's a coping mechanism. We keep on trying to convince ourselves that Portugal isn't that good, when in reality, on paper, they should be a tougher challenge than Ghana.

But you know what, we won even when Michael Bradley played like shit. I can only imagine how we will do when Michael Bradley is playing like his usual self.

#WeWantPortugal

RELAYER

Banned

Also *insert quip about washed up players coming to the mls in regards to Kaka etc* Exciting time for the MLS coming up.

It's like the calm acceptance that they say visits one just before death.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Me too. But that's probably because it's a coping mechanism. We keep on trying to convince ourselves that Portugal isn't that good, when in reality, on paper, they should be a tougher challenge than Ghana.

But you know what, we won even when Michael Bradley played like shit. I can only imagine how we will do when Michael Bradley is playing like his usual self.

#WeWantPortugal

I do think this is it. We won when we played like shit, imagine what we'll do when we actually play well. On top of that they have a bunch of key injuries, Ronaldo is far from 100% and Pepe was a dipshit and got a red.

Put all that together with the weather and we stand a pretty decent chance of getting some points out of this game.

RELAYER

Banned
, imagine what we'll do when we actually play well

Who says we will?

I just hope that none of the Portugal players tries to fuck with Dempsey's nose, and I hope his nose doesn't make him flinch when going for headers and stuff.
Broken noses suck.

#WeWantPortugal

It's like the calm acceptance that they say visits one just before death.

Agreed. Also having 3 points already certainly helps the nerves a lot.

Also having Portugal at a -4 gd right now is certainly alleviating a lot of fears as well
gg Germany

I do think this is it. We won when we played like shit, imagine what we'll do when we actually play well. On top of that they have a bunch of key injuries, Ronaldo is far from 100% and Pepe was a dipshit and got a red.

Put all that together with the weather and we stand a pretty decent chance of getting some points out of this game.

This too.

Does this thread get active during the MLS season? I'm gonna start following it next season due to Orlando City and being in a city that has team (DC). Don't know much about the league but have followed international soccer and champions league.

Meier

Does this thread get active during the MLS season? I'm gonna start following it next season due to Orlando City and being in a city that has team (DC). Don't know much about the league but have followed international soccer and champions league.
I assume you lived in Apopka before? This thread isn't nearly as busy as the standard footy thread but there's a little contingent who posts during MLS. I am a newly interested fan as well since I'm from Orlando (went to Boone) and also support Man City so I'll be interested in NYCFC as well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's pretty active, not as much as the other sports threads but people come in here to discuss games when they aren't at the games or at a bar watching them. FYI the season is currently ongoing.

I assume you lived in Apopka before? This thread isn't nearly as busy as the standard footy thread but there's a little contingent who posts during MLS. I am a newly interested fan as well since I'm from Orlando (went to Boone) and also support Man City so I'll be interested in NYCFC as well.
Im in the same boat as you with the two teams I'm in DC now so I'm splitting between DC united (which I've heard are crap) and Orlando. Ill probably stick with Orlando has I have an emotional attachment as I've seen the team grow even though I've not lived in Orlando for 5 years now (I visit a lot and have been to 4-5 city games). I'll be interested in NYCFC too as I liked Villa and I travel up to NYC occasionally for sports and have new interest in a team named after a sports drink.... Haha

TheChits

I think getting that first w was just really reassuring. Not nearly as nervous for the second game

Osorio

We're pretty active, but also very few.

I wonder if the World Cup is going to give MLS an audience boost next weekend. It's always a doubled-edged sword though, since the quality of play drops significantly.

Heretic

Doesn't seem like he's popular around here but I agreed with what Lalas said about playing Bradley too high up. I also feel he's best when bringing the ball up from deep in the defensive end rather than working up high. He sees the field really well and has great soccer sense but he can't do that when he has defenders on top of him as soon as he gets the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom