• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

USA needs to do work to keep on the CONCACAF run of DOMINATION.

WE WANT PORTUGAL.

Bql4dEbCMAAwSzy.jpg

Osorio

Feels like these results are inspiring the other CONCACAF teams to out-do each other.

Let's see if Honduras can make a splash too.

xbhaskarx

Coming of Age

Sixteen years after his first World Cup experience as a lonely U.S. supporter, the author traveled with his star-spangled buddies to this year’s Cup in Brazil and discovered the brave new world of American soccer fandom

Seanspeed

Banned
are you for real? How long have you been watching soccer?
Haven't been following the US team closely much at all, granted, but this isn't the first time I've had this impression of him. He's always seemed a bit green to me when I watched him in games.

Guess he just had a bad game, but he had a fucking awful game. Couldn't even begin to count how many times he gave the ball away.

And if he's our best player, then god save us. US soccer has a long fucking way to go.

Nesotenso

Haven't been following the US team closely much at all, granted, but this isn't the first time I've had this impression of him. He's always seemed a bit green to me when I watched him in games.

Guess he just had a bad game, but he had a fucking awful game. Couldn't even begin to count how many times he gave the ball away.

And if he's our best player, then god save us. US soccer has a long fucking way to go.

yes, you are clueless.

Am I crazy for thinking Lalas had been pretty good in the studio during the WC? Normally I'm annoyed by him.

I have loved the entire crew during the nightly recaps. Twellman is better in the studio then when he is announcing. I feel the same way with Keller. Really not looking forward to a blowhard like Wynalda being on our screens four years from now.

Nesotenso

Ok man. Yea, this was the first soccer match I've ever seen and I'm sure I'm supposed to understand how great he is by that catastrophe of a game he had.

Sounds like you did mean to be a dick after all.

well you are clueless if think you can reach a conclusion on the talents of Bradley or the state of US soccer on one game.

Don't worry, we are not god forsaken.

Seanspeed

Banned
well you are clueless if think you can reach a conclusion on the talents of Bradley or the state of US soccer on one game.

That was just my impression from seeing him a while back and then watching this game(which was awful man, like really bad). Guess I just seem to catch him on bad days.

Lets hope that trend doesn't continue.

Bradley had a subpar game by his high standards. His passing percentage was around 80% (typically he's up in the 90's depending on how high on the field he plays) and he had more turnovers than anyone else on the team. The latter stat is the more concerning one, but I suspect he'll rebound nicely on Sunday.

Nesotenso

That was just my impression from seeing him a while back and then watching this game(which was awful man, like really bad). Guess I just seem to catch him on bad days.

Lets hope that trend doesn't continue.

there is a reason why he is seen as the one player who is probably irreplaceable. If Bradley plays well, we always a better chance of winning.

Clydefrog

First full day in Manaus. It IS hot as hell here. Watched part of france bs sui today in a tiny bar with some old ladies. Walked about 8 miles around the city today and drank what feels like a gallon of water. I don't know how you play 90 minutes of soccer here. Just picked up my FIFA ticket for the game and am getting ready for dinner

The only thing giving me pause about Bradley is that outside of one beautiful ball to Fabian Johnson against Turkey and the first half against Nigeria, he had a very poor send-off series as well.

Maybe he's just in poor form. But the old addage is "form is temporary, class is permanent". Michael Bradley is a class player, he'll find his way back. Hopefully for him and the US it won't be too late.

Still not convinced that he's not just betting on games and throwing matches, but we'll see

Heretic

yes, you are clueless.

Come on now... No need to be rude.

First full day in Manaus. It IS hot as hell here. Watched part of france bs sui today in a tiny bar with some old ladies. Walked about 8 miles around the city today and drank what feels like a gallon of water. I don't know how you play 90 minutes of soccer here. Just picked up my FIFA ticket for the game and am getting ready for dinner
I would not survive in Brazil haha

Stay safe, have fun, and drink lots of water!

Askani

Enjoy the game. I expect to see a NeoGAF banner.

xbhaskarx

Shouldn't there be tons of other US fans around?

Clydefrog

Big USA ussoccwr party tomorrow. Ill be there then at the game pre party on Sunday. Haven't seen many USA fans yet. Big city. Made a few friends already though

gutshot

The only thing giving me pause about Bradley is that outside of one beautiful ball to Fabian Johnson against Turkey and the first half against Nigeria, he had a very poor send-off series as well.

Maybe he's just in poor form. But the old addage is "form is temporary, class is permanent". Michael Bradley is a class player, he'll find his way back. Hopefully for him and the US it won't be too late.

Still not convinced that he's not just betting on games and throwing matches, but we'll see

Was reading the Shin Guardian's preview of the game and he mentioned Bradley had some sort of foot procedure prior to camp. That was the first I had heard of it, but could it be that has been effecting his play these last 4 games?

hom3land

Next Tuesdays US Open LA Galaxy vs Railhawks match should be fun! LA's bringing their main team, Shame we aren't using our main field due to it being re-sodded.

Following the team’s first training session after their 2-1 victory over Arizona United SC, both Galaxy forwards Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan told reporters that they believe they’ll be available for selection in Tuesday’s match against the Carolina RailHawks in the fifth round of the U.S. Open Cup.

“We’re all expecting to play in this game. We’re sick of losing to Carolina and we’re sick of going out of the Open Cup early," said Donovan on Friday.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/blog/beat/2...pecting-be-available-us-open-cup-match-agains

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Was reading the Shin Guardian's preview of the game and he mentioned Bradley had some sort of foot procedure prior to camp. That was the first I had heard of it, but could it be that has been effecting his play these last 4 games?

They said it was really minor when they announced he was getting it done, but who knows.

Clydefrog

Have you seen any capybaras or tapirs just wandering around the streets of Manaus?
Haha no not yet. Just random dogs like Sochi. I did see either a walking leaf bug or an ant carrying a leaf. Oh and trash vultures!

Insane lightning storm out of nowhere right now

Meier

I think Kasey Keller has been absolutely fantastic doing commentary. He's the best former American player in the booth.

I've also listened to a few games via ESPN Radio and JP Dellacamera is fantastic. I didn't realize he did Union games in general -- their fans are lucky.

ZZMitch

I think Kasey Keller has been absolutely fantastic doing commentary. He's the best former American player in the booth.

I've also listened to a few games via ESPN Radio and JP Dellacamera is fantastic. I didn't realize he did Union games in general -- their fans are lucky.

I have been using ESPN Radio as well. JP is great. There are a lot of MLS commentators working at ESPN Radio for the world cup actually. I recognise a lot of voices since I watch the highlight videos from most MLS games.

Portugal is a bipolar team, tomorrow you will either face one of two:

A) a focused team that is in tuned. scoring goals and confident (positive minded)
or
B) a disorganized team, letting emotions get in the way, collapse (negative minded)

I have been watching my team for a long long time.

I won't be mad at you if you win. I will be disappointed at my own team. Did did well in 2006, failed to adjust in 2010, and they must take shit seriously now or else they will join Spain and England back on the plane

Osorio

JP used to do Red Bulls broadcasts with Steve Cangialosi. Great play by play guy, you can tell Cangialosi learned a lot from him.

I'll take him back in a flash over Shep Messing but Shep is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom