• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
now im nervous as fuck

I'm not nervous at all. Call me unrealistic, but I think we've advanced to the point as a national team where we can legitimately expect to play well against and beat a team like Portugal. Yes, they have classy players in their side and it will be a tough match, but if we play to the level we're capable of, it can be done.

If nothing else, our work rate and industry will make a tough match for them as well. Combine that with the oppressive heat and I expect a grinder tomorrow, no matter the result. I definitely don't see the 3-0/4-1 steamrolling that some pundits are calling for.

daoster

NoRéN;117620846 said:
Don't assume germany will win game 3. Stop it, right now!

This is true. Other than France - Honduras, has a European team performed well against the other continents at all?

Or look at it the other way, we beat Ghana, Ghana gave Germany a run for their money, Germany destroyed Portugal... Therfore we are better than Germany, and we will double destroy Portugal!!

NoRéN

This is true. Other than France - Honduras, has a European team performed well against the other continents at all?

Or look at it the other way, we beat Ghana, Ghana gave Germany a run for their money, Germany destroyed Portugal... Therfore we are better than Germany, and we will double destroy Portugal!!

I like this. it's the tactic verano or one of the other mexico fans employed a few years back to prove to this thread that Mexico was still better than USA.

Aside from the world cup always providing surprises, i think the setting has thrown a wrench in just about every team's game plans. For someone just wanting to watch some exciting games this has been an amazing world cup. For those cheering on one of the many teams getting shocked, it's been hell.

I'm not nervous at all. Call me unrealistic, but I think we've advanced to the point as a national team where we can legitimately expect to play well against and beat a team like Portugal. Yes, they have classy players in their side and it will be a tough match, but if we play to the level we're capable of, it can be done.

If nothing else, our work rate and industry will make a tough match for them as well. Combine that with the oppressive heat and I expect a grinder tomorrow, no matter the result. I definitely don't see the 3-0/4-1 steamrolling that some pundits are calling for.

Oh I'm just forever a pessimist. I know we can do it.

I just want us to win so badly, so the rest of the world can shut the fuck up about this team and americans and soccer.

Repost but

0u9Z22c.png

That makes no sense, our chance of making it out of the group should be the same as our chance at beating Portugal right now. We win and we're through, we don't and then we have to do the other math.

If Germany would have won they would be easier to beat (as they would have already advanced) in game three and ghana would have been gone. Now if we lose we have to beat Germany who also isn't guaranteed an advance.

xbhaskarx

I think a tie was better than a Germany win. Belgium will almost certainly win their group. We've played them twice under Klinsmann and looked more overmatched against them than we did against any other team we've played in the last three years.

Portugal’s injury woes continue to intensify as a make or break match with the United States approaches tomorrow. Bruno Alves, a defender suffered a muscle injury in training Saturday and has joined a length list of injured Portuguese players and is unlikely to feature in tomorrow’s clash according to multiple media reports.

With Pepe’s suspension and the injury to Fábio Coentrão, Portugal’s backline was already going to be a makeshift one likely featuring Ricardo Costa and Luis Neto but now is thrown into greater crisis with Alves injury. Goalkeeper Rui Patrício and Striker Hugo Almeida are also unavailable for tomorrow’s Group G clash. Alves, who features for Fenerbahçe in the Turkish league is Portugal’s most experienced defender and his loss could be very costly for a desperate side.

Following a 4-0 loss to Germany in the opening match of the competition, the Portuguese have been hit with several items of concerns related to injuries though it appears that superstar Captain Cristiano Ronaldo will play tomorrow.

The United States have an injury concern of their own with Jozy Altidore unavailable tomorrow following a hamstring injury in the 2-1 victory over Ghana. Portugal needs at least a point tomorrow to keep hopes of advancement to the knockout stages alive. The nation has advanced beyond the Group Stage of each of the last five major tournaments reaching at least the semifinals in three of those competitions.

They're dropping like flies.

Clydefrog

I'm guessing Clydefrog is at this...

Awesome turnout at #FanHQ in Manaus. Keep it going #USMNT fans, #SeeYouTomorrow. #1N1T http://t.co/M21PREBBcw
Just got back from that! I got sunil's speech on my camera. Great crowd. Tomorrow is the day omgggggg

Time to get some sleep or at least try

Big march at noon again. Don't know if I can drink that long and still remember the game.

The Brazilians here want us to beat Portugal so badly. The entire crowd will be pro-usa

xbhaskarx

The Brazilians here want us to beat Portugal so badly. The entire crowd will be pro-usa

I've been wondering about this since the draw. I expected Portugal to have a big home field advantage because I don't think there's much tension between Brazil and Portugal (relative to many other former colonies), and they're the only to soccer powers that speak Portuguese. All the Portuguese I know root for Brazil as their second team, but maybe that's not the case going the other way...

RELAYER

Banned
I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.
Then will probably fall asleep at like 1 PM and miss the game.

FFS.

How on earth do the players sleep on nights like these?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've been wondering about this since the draw. I expected Portugal to have a big home field advantage because I don't think there's much tension between Brazil and Portugal (relative to many other former colonies), and they're the only to soccer powers that speak Portuguese. All the Portuguese I know root for Brazil as their second team, but maybe that's not the case going the other way...

Maybe they just like underdogs?

guys... i'm nervous...

I know I won't be able to sleep.

NoRéN;117656927 said:
Don't be nervous. it's going to be fine. Come thursday we're going to have 9 points.

I refuse to believe otherwise.

That would be the greatest thing ever.

daoster

Part of me just wants the win so we can post American flags allover the world cup topic and keep on calling the sport its correct name... SOCCER!!!!

RELAYER

Banned
Part of me just wants the win so we can post American flags allover the world cup topic and keep on calling the sport its correct name... SOCCER!!!!

Yes, the salt jpegs, crying eagle gifs, and CONCACAF crowing has been sweet, although it has tested the patience of our European friends.

If we lose tomorrow, the pay-back will be bitter indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom