• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, I suppose the good news is that we wanted additional data points on some fringe players, and if they keep this up we can write a few of them off. Still have an hour left of game time, but this has been a poor performance.

Kljestian is not having a good game at all
That's his natural position rather than being shoe-horned in at outside midfielder or a-mid, and he's still having problems today. I like the way he plays for Anderlecht, but I don't know if he's going to be useful for the US given the formations and assignments they run.

Meier

Will be keeping an eye on this game to see how Onyewu does.

He plays for us currently (Sheffield Wednesday) but is too good for us really. Is with us to get first team football and fitness for the World Cup, although he's said he likes playing for us so have to see if we can keep him. Hope he plays well today. Good luck Gooch!

Looks like some rumors you guys might get an infusion of cash from Qatar as well. Welcome to the Oil Bros club if so!

daoster

Definitely lucky to only concede 1 goal so far.

Towards the end of the first half, we looked a teeny bit better, but this game is not looking great for our fringe players.

gutshot

Just liked to point out that while we watch this disjointed line-up sleepwalk their way through this friendly, our group opponent Germany has trotted out a line-up that includes Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, and Gotze. Yikes.

@PCarrESPN said:
At halftime, John Brooks has more touches (49) than Dempsey, F. Johnson and Altidore COMBINED (46).
Yikes.

Just liked to point out that while we watch this disjointed line-up sleepwalk their way through this friendly, our group opponent Germany has trotted out a line-up that includes Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, and Gotze. Yikes.
Cameron's the only backline starter out there and Bradley's missing, as well. I'm not saying that'll close the gap, but it would certainly narrow it some.

Yikes.

Cameron's the only backline starter out there and Bradley's missing, as well. I'm not saying that'll close the gap, but it would certainly narrow it some.

They kept attacking up the middle or to the right. Maybe if they moved FJohnson back to LB he'll be doing all of those overlapping runs Cameron was doing at RB

No subs for the US
They kept attacking up the middle or to the right. Maybe if they moved FJohnson back to LB he'll be doing all of those overlapping runs Cameron was doing at RB
Yes, that'd make sense. Looks like it's FJohnson or Beasley at LB for the US from now on.

daoster

Ghana also lost to Montenegro.

Our team make up being what it is, it's pretty tough to get a lineup of strength at this moment.

US looking much better this half. It'd be nice if they didn't concede the first half to so many teams before working this rope-a-dope routine. That's not going to cut it at the World Cup.

gutshot

Ghana also lost to Montenegro.

Our team make up being what it is, it's pretty tough to get a lineup of strength at this moment.

That's true. One of the problems with fielding a typical starting IX that plays in so many different leagues on two separate continents. But I do think there is something to be said for maintaining some line-up consistency, especially only a few months out from a World Cup.

xbhaskarx

AJ and Shea in for Castillo and Kljestan, with FJ moving to left back, I like these changes.

Hopefully this is the last time we'll see Castillo and Kljestan in 2014.

Meier

Not sure why the defenders didn't lay out for that.

Not looking good for Brooks' chances. Maybe in 4 years.

Nesotenso

missing the games as I have meetings today with academic advisers. From the sounds of it, the backline is still having issues.

Silkworm

Did anyone else lose the feed of the game?

BTW how likely is Gedion Zelalem to play for the USA national team in the upcoming World Cup if decides to gain US eligibility in the near future (which of course is a big "if" considering his ties to Germany)? Is he that much a phenomenon?

Meier

Did anyone else lose the feed of the game?

BTW how likely is Gedion Zelalem to play for the USA national team in the upcoming World Cup if decides to gain US eligibility in the near future (which of course is a big "if" considering his ties to Germany)? Is he that much a phenomenon?

Zelalem isn't likely IMO. The word is that he would have to renounce his German citizenship to become a US citizen and would then likely lose his work permit for England since he'd no longer be a citizen of the EU. I think he'll need to show something special for Arsenal's first team to prove he is worthy because they've made it far more difficult to get work permits even for "exceptional talents" now.

daoster

Isn't he just 17? Too young.

Anyone else just lose the feed? All my ESPN channels appear to have gone black...

Watching on my phone, it seems to still work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom