• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
dqXQJfX.png

Bay Area game is against Azerbaijain at Candlestick. womp womp

NoRéN

Never been to Candlestick park and it's been a while since I've been to the bay area. Perfect time of the year to put the top down and make the drive up PCH for a game before heading off to Brazil.

xbhaskarx

Why Azerbaijan?
Why Candlestick Park?

I'm not sure if the 49ers new stadium will be ready by then, but Stanford Stadium would be 100x better than Candlestick....

Wes

venison crêpe
So whilst the residue of the international break is still somewhat looming in the air I thought I'd mention a thing I'd like to do for the World Cup thread this year:

As lots of GAFers tune in to watch teams or even a sport they normally don't I wanted to make some relatively small guides for each nation. Fluffy stuff such as this (these are just examples):

- Their history.
- How they qualified.
- Style of football/Tactical formation they play.
- Potential starting XI.
- Players to watch out for.

Instead of me writing all of these up I thought I'd garner interest on whether I could collect 32 members to contribute to make these instead. As an added twist I'd like the guides to be from people who aren't natives of that country (eg. I could write the guide for South Korea but not England) so that their opinion is formed as a neutral outsider looking in - just as all the GAF members will be when it's posted in the thread.

You wouldn't have to physically do any writing until the middle/end of May when the squads will be announced. I'm just collecting names and gathering interest now. I'll sort out a selection procedure later for each nation (it'll likely be purely random - names plucked from a hat).

So if you're interested say so now. I'll bring it up again couple of times between now and May for anyone else who wants to get involved but missed this message.

Likewise, I have ideas for other things related to the World Cup thread which I may ask for help with so don't feel like this is the only way you can contribute. Again, this is meant to be a fun thing. If it brings up any kind of conflict of any kind between members I'll just do them all myself.

Thanks for reading,
Wes.

Clydefrog

So whilst the residue of the international break is still somewhat looming in the air I thought I'd mention a thing I'd like to do for the World Cup thread this year:

As lots of GAFers tune in to watch teams or even a sport they normally don't I wanted to make some relatively small guides for each nation. Fluffy stuff such as this (these are just examples):

- Their history.
- How they qualified.
- Style of football/Tactical formation they play.
- Potential starting XI.
- Players to watch out for.

Instead of me writing all of these up I thought I'd garner interest on whether I could collect 32 members to contribute to make these instead. As an added twist I'd like the guides to be from people who aren't natives of that country (eg. I could write the guide for South Korea but not England) so that their opinion is formed as a neutral outsider looking in - just as all the GAF members will be when it's posted in the thread.

You wouldn't have to physically do any writing until the middle/end of May when the squads will be announced. I'm just collecting names and gathering interest now. I'll sort out a selection procedure later for each nation (it'll likely be purely random - names plucked from a hat).

So if you're interested say so now. I'll bring it up again couple of times between now and May for anyone else who wants to get involved but missed this message.

Likewise, I have ideas for other things related to the World Cup thread which I may ask for help with so don't feel like this is the only way you can contribute. Again, this is meant to be a fun thing. If it brings up any kind of conflict of any kind between members I'll just do them all myself.

Thanks for reading,
Wes.

Whilst this does sound like Wes assigning GAF extra-credit homework, I'd definitely be down to do a write-up :) Put my name in the hat! I am from the USA.

I'll be in Manaus and Recife for the group stage so let me know if you need any on-site correspondence!

Wes

venison crêpe
I was honestly thinking it would be something short. As I said I was going to do them all myself so I wouldn't have written anything lengthy anyway.

I shall make note to bring up in some way those members who will be in Brazil such as yourself. That's going to be a crazy good experience you'll have out there Clyde!

Nesotenso

I don't get why US Soccer had to settle for Azerbaijan given the number of teams stopping by the US first before heading to Brazil. Surely you could convince one of those world cup bound teams.

v1lla21

Ugh, why at Candlestick? :( I would have preferred it at Stanford. Oh well I'll still go :p

Can't wait for Earthquakes' CCL match next week against Toluca. Hopefully I get to take a picture with some of the Toluca players. I have to tell my boss that I'll be leaving early that day.

NoRéN

Seattle and Portland look nice. Still don't know how I feel about the galaxy one but I'll probably still get one.

Osorio

I dunno why but I like that Chicago two tone.

LA and Vancouver are also fire.

Worst: New England, and us because we're still not Metro :(

Osorio

3 points. I'll be out so I can't catch the game unless the bar is playing it.

Are you going to be in the city? I'll be at Legends on 33rd and 6th

Also, I'll be happy with a point

Olave, Henry out.

Cahill possibly a sub

Convey is sick but I heard Miller is available.

Robles is gonna have to be amazing, and Peguy has to hook up with Sam and BWP effectively otherwise we start with no points.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Are you going to be in the city? I'll be at Legends on 33rd and 6th

Also, I'll be happy with a point

Olave, Henry out.

Cahill possibly a sub

Convey is sick but I heard Miller is available.

Robles is gonna have to be amazing, and Peguy has to hook up with Sam and BWP effectively otherwise we start with no points.

I was going to go to Legends but I'm going up to White Plains for this St. Patrick's Day thing up there.

Oh yeah, we're kind of handicapped this week. Hrm.

Osorio

I was going to go to Legends but I'm going up to White Plains for this St. Patrick's Day thing up there.

Oh yeah, we're kind of handicapped this week. Hrm.

I believe in our depth for this season but that's just too much to ask for. I'm worried about the defense and I know Vancouver can attack, plus they're at home.

Armando will have his first game partnered with Segayka.

Our fullback situation is questionable.

I want Eckersley on the right but I think it'll be Kimura.

Convey has looked better than Miller but he might be out.

Alexander should start over Sam because he's less of a defensive liability.

I'm not worried about scoring. With Peguy, Sam, BWP, and Steele we'll be solid on counters.

Meier

All of the primary shirts via SI:

http://i.imgur.com/f2UFO3v.jpg[IMG]

Any favorites?[/QUOTE]

Galaxy, Fire, Revs, Chivas and RBNY look the best IMO (not in any order).

Anyone able to answer my earlier question about a good "depth chart" site? I'd like to figure out if any of these rookies will actually get decent play time for the fantasy game..

Steven Goff said:
Breaking: MLS has locked out its referees over labor dispute

"The league has decided to employ scorched earth tactics," referees' union rep Steve Taylor says #mls

"We have made a substantial proposal to the PSRA and believe it is very fair and reasonable,” PRO says #mls

"PRO has recruited a highly-qualified pool of replacement officials all of whom have officiated at the professional level." #mls
Refereeing is bad enough already, and I can't imagine this is going to help.

Anyone able to answer my earlier question about a good "depth chart" site? I'd like to figure out if any of these rookies will actually get decent play time for the fantasy game..

I used this for the West and this for the East when putting my team together.

It's not the best but you'll, at least, get an idea as to who's projected to start.

Askani

All of the primary shirts via SI:

http://i.imgur.com/f2UFO3v.jpg[IMG]

Any favorites?[/QUOTE]

I have to homer here a little and say SKC. I just really do like it the best. Our jersey is plain two color but it actually has symbolism in the design. All the rest, while there are some good designs, are just designs. Unless someone can educate me otherwise?

That being said, I actually like Toronto's jersey as well as Portland's. Always kinda dug the Union's kit too.

xbhaskarx

MLS equals MLB in popularity with kids

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1740529/mls-catches-mlb-espn-sports-poll?cc=5901

soc_chart_trends_576x324.jpg

Are MLS players now America’s true “Boys of Summer?”

For the first time in the nation’s history, Major League Soccer (inaugural season: 1996) has caught up with Major League Baseball (founded in 1869) in a significant marker of popularity. Both leagues can claim 18 percent of 12- to 17-year-olds as avid fans of their sport, a poll said.

The statistic comes from the 2013 Luker on Trends -- ESPN Sports Poll Annual Report -- which tracks the minutiae of fan habits surrounding 32 major sports, studying how Americans watch, play, buy and express their fandom. This is the same poll that, in 2012, determined soccer was America's second-most popular sport for those aged 12-24, outstripping the NBA, MLB and college football.

The finding is momentous, said Rich Luker, the social scientist who created the study, released on the eve of MLS’s 19th season.

“MLS has been around since 1996,” he said. “It is phenomenal that in just one generation it has gone from zero adherents to tying MLB, especially when you recognize this is the first generation to only know the United States with a professional soccer league. MLS is in their generational DNA.”

pslong009

Neo Member
I don't get why US Soccer had to settle for Azerbaijan given the number of teams stopping by the US first before heading to Brazil. Surely you could convince one of those world cup bound teams.

How else are you going to get Jozy's confidence and goal-scoring touch back? Let him bang in a couple against Azerbaijan and he'll be good as new.

Askani

MLS Replacement Referee list:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/07/referees-assigned-mls-matches-opening-weekend

Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting KC, Saturday, 3 pm ET
Alan Kelly, former FIFA Ireland. Currently lives in the United States.
Dimitar Chadarav – MLS Reserve, NWSL
Kyle Longville – MLS Preseason

DC United vs. Columbus Crew, Saturday, 7 pm ET
Andres Pfefferkorn – NASL Referee, MLS Preseason
Yevgeniy Mednikov – USL Pro
Stefan McHardy – MLS Preseason

FC Dallas vs. Montreal Impact, Saturday, 7 pm ET
Jorge Luna – Former MLS official (4th)
Luis Guardia – Open Cup
Pedro Trejo – International, NASL

Vancouver Whitecaps vs New York Red Bulls, Saturday, 7:30 pm ET
Abbey Okulaja – Former MLS Referee
Brandon Major – MLS Preseason, MLS Reserve, Open Cup
Eric Weisbrod – USL Pro

Houston Dynamo vs. New England Revolution, Saturday, 8:30 pm ET
Ramon Hernandez – Former MLS Referee
Isreal Fernandez – MLS Preseason
Marcos De Oliveira – MLS Preseason, NASL

Portland Timbers vs. Philadelphia Union, Saturday, 8:30 pm ET
Ioannis Stavridis – Former FIFA Greece. Currently lives in the United States.
Caleb Mendez – MLS Preseason, NASL
Andrew Bigelow – NASL, Open Cup

LA Galaxy vs. Real Salt Lake, Saturday, 10:30 pm ET
Javier Santos – Current FIFA Puerto Rico
Jairo Morales – Current FIFA Puerto Rico
Jose Da Silva – MLS Preseason, NASL

Chivas USA vs. Chicago Fire, Sunday, 3 pm ET
William Anderson – Current FIFA Puerto Rico
Jair Morales – Current FIFA Puerto Rico
Jose Da Silva – MLS Preseason, NASL

Another exercise for today if anyone has time. It seems like we have a decently broad set of MLS teams represented here in the thread, so I thought it might be fun for people to write up season previews for their respective teams. I'll cop to having not followed the league that closely in the offseason, so it'll be a good primer for the start of the season if anyone else is bored enough to write one of these up.

I'll start off with the Earthquakes and xbhaskarx can correct me if I'm way off base with all any of this.

San Jose Earthquakes

Projected starting lineup: Busch; Gorlitz, Goodson, Bernardez, Stewart; Salinas, Cronin, Pierazzi, Harris; Lenhart, Wondolowksi
Relevant bench players: Gordon, Cato, Barkley, Thompson, Jahn

Strengths:
- The defense anchored by an experienced, tough backline and supported by two defensive-minded midfielders will be difficult to break down
- Lenhart and Wondolowski are a handful up front and will score goals if they stay healthy and get service​
Weaknesses:
- The backline is very old and possibly frail
- They're going to have trouble scoring on anything other than a set piece or a cross off the wing
- Overall, depth is an issue and they haven't necessarily improved while the rest of the West continues to actually spend money on players​
Additions & Losses
- Added former Bundesliga man Gorlitz at right back and the big pickup was French center midfielder Pierazzi
- Lost Beitashour and Morrow at the back, and Rafa Baca in center midfield and Martin Chavez on the wing​
Things to look forward to this season:
- Homegrown player Tommy Thompson could be a surprise on either the wing or at attacking midfielder
- The new stadium is just a year away, and construction updates are exciting​
Overall season outlook: I imagine they'll once again be in a dogfight for one of the last playoff spots in the West, but this team will struggle if injuries and national team callups cause them to rely on their non-existant depth.

Do we get flags by our name again for the world cup? I don't think I made the cut last time and I don't want to miss out this time.

Haven't followed the offseason too too much, and admittedly I don't know a great amount of soccer, but here's my take:

New England Revolution

Projected starting lineup: Shuttlesworth; Tierney, Goncalves, Soares, Farrell; Caldwell; Fagundez, Rowe, Nguyen; Bunbury, Bengtson
Relevant bench players: Knighton, Alston, Sene, Mullins, Neumann, Imbongo

Strengths:
- One of the best backlines in the league, only 38 GA last year, and the core is still there. Goncalves is the captain and anchor
- Great midfield/wing play from Fagundez, Rowe, and Nguyen provides great sparks for an offense​
Weaknesses:
- They've had problems attacking; Bunbury seems to have helped in the preseason, but is it enough to replace Agudelo?
- Can Shuttlesworth or Knighton carry the torch for the retired Matt Reis?​
Additions & Losses
- Added F Teal Bunbury from SKC, M Daigo Kobayashi from VAN, F Patrick Mullins and M Steve Neumann through draft
- Lost F Juan Agudelo (Stoke City), GK Matt Reis (retirement)​
- Can the Revs prove 2013 wasn't just a fluke?
- Shuttleworth vs Knighton, who wins out?
- The Revs' young core will definitely show some improvement and possibly be more dynamic​
Overall season outlook: I think the Revs are good enough to be in playoff contention, and at least be above wild card position. Coach Jay Heaps is eyeing MLS Cup after 2013's great turnaround and finish. I think they'll at least be the 3rd seed in the East, and make it to the conference finals, after taking MLS Cup champ Sporting KC to extra time in the 2013 playoffs.

Askani

Sporting Kansas City

Projected starting lineup: Kronberg, Sinovic, Myers, Besler, Collin, Feilhaber, Nagamura, Rosell, Zusi, Bieler, Sapong
Relevant bench players: Zizzo, Dwyer, Saad, Opara, Olum

Strengths:
- The statistical best defense in the league is back and complete for 2014
- An all around solid starting and bench midfield for attacking, defending and holding
- Lots of depth all around
- High fitness and intense play​
Weaknesses:
- Decent strikers, but no breakout consistent scorer
- Great Defense but low on goals scored, so games are closer than they should be
- Lost all time MLS Goals Against Average goalkeeper
- Defense is shaky on long over the top balls​
Additions & Losses
- Traded away Teal Bunbury
- Signed Sal Zizzo
- Jimmy Nielsen retirement​
- What's going to happen with Erik Palmer-Brown? Will he stay or will Juventus finally get their hooks in him? Just how good is he?
- Bieler looks alot more fit than last year
- How well will Kronberg fill Nielsen's shoes? He learned under Nielsen, but this will be his first regular minutes as a primary GK​

Overall Season Outlook: Other than Kronberg, there are no major lineup changes for SKC. How will "last year's team" fare against their 2014 opponents? While not guaranteeing another MLS Cup, it should make a heavy case that SKC will be in the playoffs conversation for sure. KC also has a rough season start. They have the MLS season and CONCACAF play right out of the gate and play 5 games in the first 15 days. It will be interesting to see how well we do under that brutal start.

Another rumored USMNT jersey:

I thought I had overheard the staff at Niketown discussing a jersey like this, but wasn't sure which team it was in reference too. Might've been for the US but not sure. A few of us did agree that we liked the 'Where's Waldo' one but also thought we could've stayed with the centennial as well.

We all agreed though that NZ's jersey looked very plain, like a t-shirt actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom