• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

What a random group of players to include as reserves...

I really can't imagine Green and especially Yedlin on the sides of a diamond midfield... wouldn't the width be coming from Chandler and Johnson? Beyond that I'm not sure what reason there is to believe that Klinsmann having reverted back to his three defensive-minded central midfield types would move to playing just Bradley. And while I'd like to see more technical, possession oriented, and creative midfielders, I don't know if Diskerud / Green / Yedlin are a good combination for that. And I think they would be physically dominated by many teams.

I don't think we're at the point where any of this matters, though. Any lineup or roster for 2014 that had been created this time four years ago would look ridiculous in retrospect, filled with prospects who didn't pan out, the injured (Holden), and veterans people thought would hang on (like Bocanegra and Cherundolo... and Donovan!). Instead people should just be thinking about who is currently in the pool at each position, who will likely be out of the pool by then, and who may enter the pool in coming years. The 2018 age breakdown Cornballer posted seems like a good place to start and build from.

The guys we will almost certainly be losing:
Howard, Dempsey, Jones, Beasley, Donovan, Beckerman, Wondolowski, Davis, E. Johnson, Goodson, Parkhurst, Evans, Rimando, Onyewu, Gomez, Feilhaber

There's plenty of easily replaceable roster filler there, but also a hell of a lot of talent in half a dozen players that will need to be replaced...

More ratings news:
USA-Belgium: Second Most-Viewed Men’s Soccer Telecast Ever in U.S.

- Combined TV, Digital and Audio Coverage Posts Average Minute Audience of Nearly 18 Million
- ESPN Telecast Averages 16,491,000 Viewers and 9.8 HH US rating
- Match Generates WatchESPN Viewership Records
- ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC Telecasts Reach Nearly 100 Million People
- Significant Viewership Growth Over 2010 and 2006, including in All Key Demos
- Match Sets Rating Record in 20 markets; Washington, D.C.; New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles Highest-Rated Thru 56 Games
Much more number crunching via the link.

Also, The New Yorker posted this image along with their brief comments on the US' exit:

OWimWUA.jpg

xbhaskarx

He's at bayern not in the MLS. I can't see this happening.

Kenny Cooper and Jonathan Spector were at Manchester United. And those are guys who actually ended up with legitimate professional careers, which is why I can remember their names. There have been plenty of US youths at European clubs who ended up disappearing from soccer altogether or ending up in some random country's third division. I don't think Green will be a bust, but "he's at big club X" hardly guarantees success.

Kenny Cooper and Jonathan Spector were at Manchester United. And those are guys who actually ended up with legitimate professional careers, which is why I can remember their names. There have been plenty of US youths at European clubs who ended up disappearing from soccer altogether or ending up in some random country's third division. I don't think Green will be a bust, but "he's at big club X" hardly guarantees success.
Did those guys come up through the club's development programs? That's what I meant by being at/from bayern.

xbhaskarx

Has no prospect who came up through Bayern's development programs failed to live up to expectations? Because I thought that was the case with most youth prospects at all clubs, and in all sports...

Osorio

I wonder how Matt Miazga is going to develop in 4 years.

After watching his game against Toronto I see a better upswing for him than Tim Ream, who btw, I could see on our 2018 squad

xbhaskarx

I wonder how Matt Miazga is going to develop in 4 years.

After watching his game against Toronto I see a better upswing for him than Tim Ream, who btw, I could see on our 2018 squad

I need to watch Miazga, I've heard good things about him. It's nice to see NYRB actually giving a young kid a bit of a chance, for once... let's hope it continues. I'm guessing Erik Palmer-Brown may not see the field for SKC again for a while with Besler heading back...

Osorio

I need to watch Miazga, I've heard good things about him. It's nice to see NYRB actually giving a young kid a bit of a chance, for once... let's hope it continues. I'm guessing Erik Palmer-Brown may not see the field for SKC again for a while with Besler heading back...

He's so composed, intelligent in his position. The way he handled a one on one against Defoe was brilliant. The sample size is small but damn does he get me excited. It'd be hard to find any Metro fan who'd rather have Armando on the field over Miazga at this point.

xbhaskarx

33 reasons why we love the US men’s soccer team

lol:
USA head coach Jurgen Klinsmann should leave the United States and become England manager
The idea that England would always be superior to the USA at football was once a small crumb of comfort to me in the world of sport, but it has, like the idea I would always have a full head of hair, become nothing more than a false certainty of my youth.

Rather than scoff at footballers who pledge their allegiance to the stars and stripes, is it now time for the English to recognise that America are just another football nation who have evolved into a better national team than ours?

Consider the evidence from the past two World Cup tournaments. The USA finished above England in our Group in South Africa and progressed further in Brazil than us, despite being drawn in an equally daunting group alongside European heavyweights Germany and Portugal.

It certainly offers the basis of a persuasive argument to suggest the USA are in better shape, although what it screams to me following their impressive narrow Round of 16 defeat to Belgium – the Americans have even mastered the English art of heroic sporting failure – is that Jugen Klinsmann must be a leading candidate to succeed Roy Hodgson as England manager.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He's so composed, intelligent in his position. The way he handled a one on one against Defoe was brilliant. The sample size is small but damn does he get me excited. It'd be hard to find any Metro fan who'd rather have Armando on the field over Miazga at this point.

Is there such a person? Other than Armando I mean :lol

:lol

I love salty English fans. Get your own damn coach!

Obligatory Daily Mail predicted England lineup for the 2014 World Cup...
Galacep's projected 2014 lineup after the Ghana loss in 2010:
SBI's Projected USA World Cup Roster for 2014

GOALKEEPER- Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Chris Seitz

DEFENDERS- Oguchi Onyewu, Jonathan Spector, Jonathan Bornstein, Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, Ike Opara, Kevin Alston, Kofi Sarkodie

MIDFIELDERS- Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Stuart Holden, Maurice Edu, Benny Feilhaber, Jose Francisco Torres, Alejandro Bedoya, Sacha Kljestan

FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Charlie Davies, Yura Movsisyan

Nesotenso

I think Besler is most likely gone to Europe. Vermes seems at times reluctant to give a 17 year old extended minutes. Palmer-Brown will start some CCL games and when rotation or injury makes it certain. He will get more minutes as he turns 18. But I am hoping he develops into another Besler with the national team. Huge upside.

Meier

So he got two goalkeepers, one defender, two midfielders, and two forwards... so basically five of the six that were obvious picks (along with Donovan) plus Omar and Bedoya.
Yeah, these things are always crapshoots. I believe the ESPN article said they got only 8 right last time they predicted. Just basically done as discussion points.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
How is this a defense of the coach?

He had 23 slots, it's completely on him that he didn't bring a backup for the most important position.

Donovan may not be at his old level, and if Altidore was fine, Donovan could have been a great bench warmer.

But they needed someone to sub into that position, which is where Donovan excels. It's all I the German coach for fucking that up.

Also, with the exception of that one magic free kick, the us was terrible at them. Bradley can't kick over the wall for shit.

Guess who can?

I think its more a reflection of the US talent pool, frankly.

The only player remotely similar to Jozy was Boyd. Maybe he should have been chosen. But Boyd was no sure bet.

- Quotes from Klinsmann out of today's presser: Jürgen Klinsmann disappointed but not downbeat after World Cup elimination

Of interest:
But over the next 12 months, Jurgen Klinsmann intends to give youth a chance. Speaking to the press a day after his team’s elimination in the last 16, the coach said now was the time for the national team to bring new faces into the fold.

“A good thing about this next year is that we kind of have the opportunity to see a lot of young players coming to our platform, coming to the senior team,” said Klinsmann. “We can give them time to show where they are up to right now.

“The experienced players, or the older players, we can tell them for the next couple of months: ‘Go play in your club environment, we know you inside out anyway, we know what you bring to the table. But right now maybe there’s time for the next couple of friendlies that come up and over the next year that we want to see the young players grow and see how they can make it.’”
If Klinsmann’s team win the Gold Cup next year, they will also be guaranteed a place at the Confederations Cup in the summer of 2017. The manager characterised that as an important goal.

“For Gold Cup we want to go with the strongest team possible,” he continued. “It’s going to be similar to a World Cup, we want to play our best team, and then we can see how many of the experienced players are in it and how many are out. But this transition year coming up is definitely the opportunity to bring a lot of young players now through the ranks and see what they’re capable to do.”

Yea can't really get too down about soccer -- this is what's great about it -- it goes year round. No time to dwell on other disappointments likes other sports. Excited for our youth (and nervous)

Gold cup gon' be awesome

- Bumpy Pitch: My Perspective (a look at the USMNT over the last 20+ years)

- Liviu Bird: 23 for 2018: A first projection of the next USA World Cup roster
Goalkeepers (3): Cody Cropper, Brad Guzan, Bill Hamid

Defenders (8): Matt Besler, John Brooks, Geoff Cameron, Greg Garza, Omar González, Fabian Johnson, Will Packwood, DeAndre Yedlin

Midfielders (7): Michael Bradley, Joe Corona, Mix Diskerud, Luis Gil, Julian Green, Joe Gyau, Kelyn Rowe

Forwards (5): Juan Agudelo, Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Aron Jóhannsson, Jordan Morris

Wild Cards (3): Diego Fagúndez, Darlington Nagbe, Gedion Zelalem
Includes a few alternate picks. A decent overall look at the player pool.

EDIT: President Obama talking to Dempsey & Howard on the phone (youtube)

EDIT2: ESPNFC crew talking about Doug McIntyre's 2018 lineup (short vid, includes Reyna)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think its more a reflection of the US talent pool, frankly.

The only player remotely similar to Jozy was Boyd. Maybe he should have been chosen. But Boyd was no sure bet.

We're not really the only ones with that problem though. Outside of Klose the Germans have the same problem, though their talent pool is deep enough in other positions to help compensate.

Yea can't really get too down about soccer -- this is what's great about it -- it goes year round. No time to dwell on other disappointments likes other sports. Excited for our youth (and nervous)

Gold cup gon' be awesome

For real. Sure we're out now, but we'll be coming back better than ever. It's going to be fun seeing the younger guys get some starts going forward.

Azuran

Banned
I still can't believe a TFC team is actually for real. The previous teams would have never scored under these conditions.

Osorio

From Metrofanatic:

The MLS summer transfer window is about to open, and we have our first two trialists, according to BigAppleSoccer. They are French defender Damien Perrinelle and Brazilian midfielder Diego Souza Xavier.

Perrinelle, a central back, was actually given a one-day trial last December, with the team describing its interest as "tepid". The 30-year-old, who also DJs, spent last season with Istres in Ligue 2. He was previously with Clermont, Boulogne, and Creteil.

Diego Souza, an attacking midfielder, was last on the books of Uniao Barbarense, a team that plays in the second division of the Sao Paulo championship. The 21-year-old was previously with Oeste in Brazil's Serie B and had a short stint with Palmeiras two years ago.

Doesn't sound very auspicious, but the positions they play are what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom