• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
- SI: Planet Futbol Roundtable: 2014 MLS season predictions

How many MLS players will be on the USA’s final 23 for Brazil?

WAHL: 11 – Nick Rimando, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Clarence Goodson, Brad Evans, Michael Bradley, Kyle Beckerman, Graham Zusi, Landon Donovan, Eddie Johnson, Clint Dempsey.

STRAUS: 11 – Rimando, Besler, Evans, Gonzalez, Goodson, Bradley, Beckerman, Zusi, Donovan, Johnson and Dempsey (Brad Davis and Chris Wondolowski will be tough cuts).

BIRD: 10 – Rimando, Besler, Gonzalez, Evans, Bradley, Donovan, Beckerman, Zusi, Dempsey, Johnson.

ABNOS: Enough to have a pretty decent starting 11 (with no bench): Rimando, Gonzalez, Besler, Goodson, Evans, Bradley, Donovan, Zusi, Beckerman, Dempsey, Wondolowski.
Who will win MLS Cup?

WAHL: New England. The Revs may have some ups and downs due to their youth, but they’ll put it all together in the postseason.

STRAUS: The Timbers will win the Supporters Shield, ending a lengthy trophy drought in PDX. But after that, as we all know, anything can happen. When it doubt, betting on the players who can score goals in the clutch probably isn’t a bad idea. Keane and Donovan won’t get shut down two years running. L.A. to make it three out of four.

BIRD: They were close to pulling off the improbable last year, but with the changes Caleb Porter has made in the progression toward Porterball 2.0, the Portland Timbers are the team to beat.

ABNOS: Timbers.

CREDITOR: I’m aboard the Timbers bandwagon as well, but dealing with the added pressure of expectations and playing on three fronts (CCL, Open Cup), will provide a curveball. Enter Portland’s rival Seattle, which has no CCL to worry about this year and the expectations to get it done. The club made shrewd signings to improve, especially defensively, and there’s enough motivation to go around for nine months while the new parts build cohesiveness. The MLS season starts in Seattle with the MLS Cup champion being the visiting team, and it will end there on a frigid night in December, with the hosts hoisting the silverware.
More via the link.

Dartastic

1510715_10152253668502236_1531227620_n.jpg

Portland Timbers

Projected starting lineup: ^^^(In order) Fernandez, Valeri, Jewsbury, Paparatto, Johnson, Ricketts, Chara, Kah, Harrington, Nagbe, Urruti
Relevant bench players: Alhassan, Danso, Piquionne, Tshuma, Zakuani, Wallace (Currently recovering from injury)

Strengths:
- Fast, possession based soccer that is not typical for MLS play
- A very solid, deep team with good reserves on the bench
- Fast, creative attack with Nagbe, Fernandez, Valeri and Urruti
- Low percentage of goals allowed - in 2013 the Timbers lead the league in shutouts and were 2nd in goals allowed.​
Weaknesses:
- Last year many of the goals scored on Timbers were on set pieces - hopefully Paparatto will help close that gap.
- Ties. While this isn't necessarily a weakness, too many games finished with a tie. Timbers need to score goals and put games away.​
Additions & Losses
- Gained the Argentinians Norberto Paparatto and Gaston "La Gata" Fernandez
- Gained Steve Zakuani, a former Akron Zip
- Gained Schillo Tshuma in the MLS Draft
- Rodney Walace - Torn ACL (Currently Recovering)
- Lost Ryan Johnson
- Lost Mikael Silvestre
- Traded Sal Zizzo
- Traded Andrew Jean Baptist​
Things to look forward to this season:
- With a year under our belt, can we repeat out success? We now have a target on our backs; can we establish ourselves as a team who can maintain excellence?
- How will the new Argentinians fit into Caleb Porter's system?
- Will we be as bad as we were on set pieces last year?
- Will we beat RSL? No, seriously. RSL were our Kryptonite in 2013.
- How quickly will Valeri and Zakuani get up to 100% form?​

Overall Season Outlook: Very, very good. Under Caleb Porter, the 2013 Timbers suddenly went from one of the worst teams in the league to winning the West, winning Porter Coach of the Year honors. Now, with a year of "Porterball" experience, the core of the team still intact, and key additions to the defense and offense through Argentinians Norberto Papparato and Gaston "La Gata" Fernandez, the Timbers are expected to reach the MLS Cup.

xbhaskarx

Another exercise for today if anyone has time. It seems like we have a decently broad set of MLS teams represented here in the thread, so I thought it might be fun for people to write up season previews for their respective teams. I'll cop to having not followed the league that closely in the offseason, so it'll be a good primer for the start of the season if anyone else is bored enough to write one of these up.

I'll start off with the Earthquakes and xbhaskarx can correct me if I'm way off base with all any of this.

San Jose Earthquakes

Projected starting lineup: Busch; Gorlitz, Goodson, Bernardez, Stewart; Salinas, Cronin, Pierazzi, Harris; Lenhart, Wondolowksi
Relevant bench players: Gordon, Cato, Barklage, Thompson, Jahn

Weaknesses:

- They're going to have trouble scoring on anything other than a set piece or a cross off the wing
- Overall, depth is an issue and they haven't necessarily improved while the rest of the West continues to actually spend money on players​

Overall season outlook: I imagine they'll once again be in a dogfight for one of the last playoff spots in the West, but this team will struggle if injuries and national team callups cause them to rely on their non-existant depth.

I agree with everything you wrote. The depth is ridiculously thin compared to the other playoff contenders. Hell we don't even have a solid starting eleven as of now, with Atiba freaking Harris having replaced Marvin Chavez... On top of that, pretty much every important player on the team is like 30 years old, so it shouldn't come as a surprise when there are injuries (see the first half of last season).

What I don't understand is

- Why can't we find relatively inexpensive and/or creative - technical players from Latin America like a dozen other MLS teams?
The only one we've brought into the league ourselves is Victor Bernardez.

- Who is doing their drafting?
The Quakes hit on 3/4 of their first and second round picks in the 2010 draft (Opara, Michael Thomas, Morrow, Beitashour). Since then they haven't really added anyone of note through the draft. 2011 had only one pick (Ampaipitakwong), who is now in Thailand. 2012's top pick (Sam Garza #6 overall) still hasn't done anything, and the other two (Jacob Hustedt, Chris Blais) were busts. 2013 brought in another one who hasn't done anything (Tommy Muller) and another one who's already gone (Dan Delgado). So the only guy from all those drafts who is even relevant is 2013 Supplemental Draft pick Adam Jahn, and he's a halfway decent bench player and not much more.
2014 they drafted three guys (JJ Koval, Joe Sofia, AJ Corrado) who they are touting as "character / class guys"... I don't know much about them but based on my knowledge of baseball players being praised for their grit and hustle, I'm assuming this means they're inoffensive white guys with limited talent who work hard.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Thierry will lead us to the cup.

Unless it's on turf :)

Fucking Turf.

So the official NYCFC Supporter's Club (Who the fuck supports a team that doesn't exist yet?) will be at Legends at the same time as the Empire Supporters Club gathering to watch the NYRB-Whitecaps match, so that'll be interesting.

Osorio

Fucking Turf.

So the official NYCFC Supporter's Club (Who the fuck supports a team that doesn't exist yet?) will be at Legends at the same time as the Empire Supporters Club gathering to watch the NYRB-Whitecaps match, so that'll be interesting.

The Borough Boys '(Cosmos supporters) bar is right next door to Legends at Jack Demsey's.

3 teams, 2 bars, 1 block.

Complete nonsense. There's a billion other bars in the city. They could've gone to Nevada Smith's or something.

pslong009

Neo Member
If there are any Rapids fans on here (I have a hard time finding Rapids fans anywhere other than Rapids-specific boards), feel free to agree / disagree.

Colorado Rapids

Projected Starting Lineup: Irwin; Klute, Moor, O'Neill, Wynne; Powers, Mari; Chavez, Sanchez, Torres; Brown

Relevant Bench Players: Sturgis, Serna, Buddle, Burch, Eloundou

Strengths: Speed from Brown and Chavez, Irwin's pretty solid, young corps of Klute, Powers, and Brown doing well, Sanchez and Torres get a full season

Weaknesses: Brown's finishing is occasionally atrocious, right back is a huge question mark (Wynne prefers CB, O'Neill prefers CB or DM), no hold up play up front, questions about creative playmaking in the center of the field, and oh yeah, WE HAVE NO FARKING COACH

Key Additions: Jose Mari, DM from Spain; Charles Eloundou (sort of counts, he couldn't play last year), winger from Cameroon; Martin Chavez, winger from San Jose

Key Losses: Martin Rivero (loan expired), Hendry Thomas (trade to Dallas), Oscar Pareja (poached by Dallas), Jaime Castrillon, Diego Calderon

• Continued development of Klute, O'Neill, and Brown
  • DeShorn Brown, specifically: if he improved on his finishing over the offseason, he could easily be a 15+ goal scorer this year. If he didn't, expect him to have 8-10.
  • Full season with Sanchez and Torres
  • Who's the coach?
  • No, seriously, who the f*** is the coach?

Interesting off-season story: A Rapids fan blogger wrote a critical piece about the Rapids front office, saying that the perception is that the front office is just killing time, making it seem like they're doing their due diligence on the coaching search, then hiring Pablo Mastroeni full-time because he's a new coach and therefore cheap. The Rapids president, Tim Hinchey, then wrote a nasty email to said blogger. Then he shared the email with a friend, who posted the email publicly. Rapids president then later bashed the blog again for noting that one of the coaching staff members, John Metgod, had been scrubbed completely from the Rapids website, including removing a video from the Superdraft. Turns out the guy has visa problems and the Rapids shouldn't have publicized his hiring as much as they did. Oops.

Overall season outlook:The Rapids had a pretty solid year in 2013, finishing in the last playoff spot, but they faltered in their last games and went out tamely to Seattle, partially due to Oscar Pareja's bizarre decision to replace Marvelle Wynne at right back with Shane O'Neill, who had only played there once before, and replacing O'Neill at center back with German Mera, who is a terrible soccer player. However, Pareja, who was crediting with building up this squad, is now gone, and no one has replaced him. The Rapids start off with a tough schedule - @NY, home to Portland, home to SKC, @Vancouver, and @Toronto. And they're doing this without a head coach. The big concern is that the Rapids will find themselves in San Jose's position last year - in a big hole early on in the season, needing to make up points at the end. Will they be able to do so? My answer - no. I'd guess they'll be out of playoff contention with 4-5 games to spare.

Nesotenso

Sporting Kansas City

Projected starting lineup: Kronberg, Sinovic, Myers, Besler, Collin, Feilhaber, Nagamura, Rosell, Zusi, Bieler, Sapong
Relevant bench players: Zizzo, Dwyer, Saad, Opara, Olum

Strengths:
- The statistical best defense in the league is back and complete for 2014
- An all around solid starting and bench midfield for attacking, defending and holding
- Lots of depth all around
- High fitness and intense play​
Weaknesses:
- Decent strikers, but no breakout consistent scorer
- Great Defense but low on goals scored, so games are closer than they should be
- Lost all time MLS Goals Against Average goalkeeper
- Defense is shaky on long over the top balls​
Additions & Losses
- Traded away Teal Bunbury
- Signed Sal Zizzo
- Jimmy Nielsen retirement​
- What's going to happen with Erik Palmer-Brown? Will he stay or will Juventus finally get their hooks in him? Just how good is he?
- Bieler looks alot more fit than last year
- How well will Kronberg fill Nielsen's shoes? He learned under Nielsen, but this will be his first regular minutes as a primary GK​

Overall Season Outlook: Other than Kronberg, there are no major lineup changes for SKC. How will "last year's team" fare against their 2014 opponents? While not guaranteeing another MLS Cup, it should make a heavy case that SKC will be in the playoffs conversation for sure. KC also has a rough season start. They have the MLS season and CONCACAF play right out of the gate and play 5 games in the first 15 days. It will be interesting to see how well we do under that brutal start.

I hope Dwyer gets the nod ahead of Sapong on most game days. I just don't see Sapong ever becoming the striker we would like to see him become. I predict Teal being more successful for the Revolution than Sapong will be for SKC.

Another wish is hoping that someone like Lopez impresses enough to get more opportunities with the first team. A lot of his U-20 teammates are regular starters in their squads while he has failed to get into that mix under Vermes. If given the choice between an old Olum and Lopez, as a fan I would like Lopez given the nod. I just hope Vermes agrees. And if Kronberg has a terrible start to the season, I think he will struggle to keep the job.

also the deadspin article by Billy Haisley is just straight up garbage. Gawker is just terrible altogether.

Askani

I hope Dwyer gets the nod ahead of Sapong on most game days. I just don't see Sapong ever becoming the striker we would like to see him become. I predict Teal being more successful for the Revolution than Sapong will be for SKC.

I really don't know who it's going to be. I would too like to see Dwyer get more time over Sapong, but if you do that's three short players up top and no one that can get headers on the goal from the run of play. And Teal is gone...so we don't have anyone left to fill that role except Sapong. I'm assuming it'll be formulaic Vermes and we'll get Sapong left, Bieler middle, and Zusi right. Saad will sub in only for Sapong, Dwyer will sub only for Bieler, and...Peterson for Zusi? Sometimes I really wished we would have signed Eddie Johnson.

Another wish is hoping that someone like Lopez impresses enough to get more opportunities with the first team. A lot of his U-20 teammates are regular starters in their squads while he has failed to get into that mix under Vermes. If given the choice between an old Olum and Lopez, as a fan I would like Lopez given the nod. I just hope Vermes agrees. And if Kronberg has a terrible start to the season, I think he will struggle to keep the job.

Lopez has to get some minutes soon. And by minutes I hope it doesn't mean shuffled off to Orlando to play. Kronberg will be kept under a microscope, but I do think he's our best option. I think he'll do well. He won't have Jimmy's placement and probably not his quick reactions, but his speed and range should be better for sure.

also the deadspin article by Billy Haisley is just straight up garbage. Gawker is just terrible altogether.

I agree. I shouldn't have even posted it because all they are getting is more clicks, but I liked the response article.

xbhaskarx

Away goals in 2-leg playoffs. Ends any illusion of home-field advantage. Big bummer. No choice on leg hosting.

So they balanced out a stupid change with a stupid non-change? Away goals are idiotic, they should be eliminated everywhere, but no instead we're adopting something that's counterproductive just because the Europeans have it...

Askani

I don't like away goals. Home and home, who scored more goals. What's the problem with that? Why should away goals mean anything special?

v1lla21

I fucking hate Away goals. It's such a shitty rule. It's bad enough that it's in Liga MX, or any league for that matter, and now I have to be okay with it in the MLS? Fuck.

I don't like away goals. Home and home, who scored more goals. What's the problem with that? Why should away goals mean anything special?
Word.

xbhaskarx

Okay anyone else want to do predictions? Here are mine... I put teams in tiers (elite, playoff contenders, basement)

Western Standings
Portland Timbers
LA Galaxy
Real Salt Lake
===
Seattle Sounders
FC Dallas
Vancouver Whitecaps
===
San Jose Earthquakes
Chivas USA
Colorado Rapids

Eastern Standings
Sporting Kansas City
Toronto FC
New England Revolution
===
Philadelphia Union
New York Red Bulls
Chicago Fire
===
Montreal Impact
D.C. United
Houston Dynamo
===
Columbus Crew

Supporters Shield: Sporting KC
MLS Cup: Portland over New England

MVP: Keane, Fagundez, Zusi
Golden Boot: Keane, Bieler, McInerney
Defender: Hedges, Goncalves, Schuler
Goalkeeper: Rimando, Penedo, Johnson
RoY: Shipp, McNamara, Mullins
Coach: Pareja, Porter, Heaps

Hieberrr

Okay anyone else want to do predictions? Here are mine... I put teams in tiers (elite, playoff contenders, basement)

Western Standings
Portland Timbers
LA Galaxy
Real Salt Lake
===
Seattle Sounders
FC Dallas
Vancouver Whitecaps
===
San Jose Earthquakes
Chivas USA
Colorado Rapids

Eastern Standings
Sporting Kansas City
Toronto FC
New England Revolution
===
Philadelphia Union
New York Red Bulls
Chicago Fire
===
Montreal Impact
D.C. United
Houston Dynamo
===
Columbus Crew

You have us (TFC) up there? This feels weird.

xbhaskarx

TopDrawerSoccer has two interesting articles on young MLS players:

The 2014 MLS Rookie of the Year race

After reading this I'm sticking with Shipp:

M/F Harrison Shipp, Chicago Fire

Why he’ll win: As a cool, calculating midfielder, Shipp enters MLS with versatility in tow. He pulled the strings for Notre Dame, but he made strides as a two-way player in 2013. His technical level and ability to read a game are second-to-none, and feeding Mike Magee all day can win awards on its own.

Why he won’t: One look at Shipp is all it takes to question whether he can hack it day-in, day-out in the league. Notre Dame generously listed him at 5-foot-9, 145 pounds, and MLS is not light on size. Can he stay healthy? There isn’t much of a precedent for young, small central midfielders blowing the door off the league’s hinges out of college.

Sometimes I hate being an Earthquakes fan....

M Tommy Thompson, San Jose Earthquakes

Why he’ll win: Thompson became the Quakes’ first homegrown player in January, and you’ll find few questioning the move. After just one season at Indiana, Thompson proved his dribbling ability, eye for angles and brought an excitement level few can muster. If given space to grow, Thompson can flourish in MLS, and he’s ready to begin even now.

Why he won’t: Thompson is a smaller, more technical player who thrives on pass-and-move soccer. San Jose has traditionally attracted brusque players and coaching styles content to play over the top, and that isn’t Thompson’s game. Plus, does Mark Watson have the courage to hand that much playing time to an 18-year-old?

MLS Homegrown game: Who starts? Who plays?

Eastern Conference Homegrown Starting XI

abGuHCwaeu.jpg

Bench: M Harrison Shipp (CHI), GK Matt Lampson (CLB), M Collin Martin (DC), M Maxim Tissot (MON), M Ben Speas (CLB), D Connor Lade (NY), D Karl Ouimette (MON), M Zach Pfeffer (PHI), F Jordan Hamilton (TFC)

Western Conference Homegrown Starting XI

abGuHvPadN.jpg

Bench: GK Lalo Fernandez (RSL), M Raul Mendiola (LA), F Caleb Clarke (VAN), D London Woodberry (FCD), F Caleb Calvert (CHV), D Bryan Gallego (POR), D Moises Hernandez (FCD), M/F Sean Okoli (SEA), F Jack McBean (LA)

Western Standings
Portland Timbers
LA Galaxy
Real Salt Lake
===
Seattle Sounders
FC Dallas
Vancouver Whitecaps
===
San Jose Earthquakes
Chivas USA
Colorado Rapids

Eastern Standings
Sporting Kansas City
Toronto FC
New England Revolution
===
Philadelphia Union
New York Red Bulls
Chicago Fire
===
Montreal Impact
D.C. United
Houston Dynamo
===
Columbus Crew

Us in the MLS Cup? I might actually be okay with this...

If we weren't already the Bills of MLS.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking forward to a better season than last. Hopefully Ben Olsen gets let go early on if we're awful. We made some nice additions in the back and front but we still lack a guy who can control the match in the midfield. Arnaud is not a good MLS player anymore.

Askani

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around today. It's opening day of the season. Just three months and 1 day ago I was at the stadium watching the finals...and now it's time for another go around already. Seems surreal.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around today. It's opening day of the season. Just three months and 1 day ago I was at the stadium watching the finals...and now it's time for another go around already. Seems surreal.

That's what I love about it. As soon as it's gone, it's back again! Yay!

Dartastic

Yeah, that video is pretty good. Haha. I am so excited for the season to start again. Currently in line to get a wristband for early entry to the stadium, so I can get army seats that don't suck. Line is already long as fuck.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for the season to start! I think Perry Kitchen will continue his development and be one of our key players.I'm hoping he adds a little offense this year.

cruets

anyone subscribe to mls live? was thinking about it but the blackout policies kinda giving me 2nd thoughts. how's the quality of the stream?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
anyone subscribe to mls live? was thinking about it but the blackout policies kinda giving me 2nd thoughts. how's the quality of the stream?

The quality is decent on the PC and iPad. I'm in the blackout zone for DC but the opener isn't on the local channel so I'll be buying it to watch the few matches not on TV.

Dartastic

Colorado finally got around to naming Mastroeni as their head coach.
I kinda feel bad for Nobody getting fired. He seemed to be working really, really hard.

...seriously, fucking finally. I still have love for Rapids fans after that "Portland's better than you" chant that they did against Seattle. Haha. <3

Also, Goff notes:
With Mastroeni's appointment by Rapids today, 15 of 19 MLS coaches are ex-MLS players (Exceptions: Arena, Schmid, Hackworth, Cabrera)

Lineups for the opener:
#SportingKC XI vs. @SoundersFC: Kronberg; Ellis, Collin, Besler (C), Gardner; Olum, Feilhaber, Zusi; Sapong, Dwyer, Peterson. #SEAvSKC

Anddd your @SoundersFC starting XI: Frei; Yedlin, Marshall, Traore, Remick; Pappa, Alonso, Evans (C), Neagle; Cooper, Martins #SEAvSKC

Nesotenso

any news whether Agudelo made the bench for Utrecht? Also the SKC lineup seems to give the impression that Vermes is focusing more on beating Cruz Azul. Lots of players I don't like in that lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom