• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arials

An update on that MLS vs Liga MX U15 tournament that's going on right now:

8 games played by MLS teams against Mexican opposition as it stands: 7 losses, 1 draw, 7 goals for, 30 goals against.

Easy to see why it's being studiously ignored by mlssoccer.com....

Brashnir

Hopefully more Homegrown players being signed in the league means more playing time for them.

How many are actually getting adequate playing time to help them develop?

I don't know what it's like for every team, but for DC United when the Homegrown players who don't play a lot finally do get it on the field, it's immediately obvious why they don't play more. The guys who were good enough to play (Najar, Hamid) got on the field pretty quickly and frequently.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what it's like for every team, but for DC United when the Homegrown players who don't play a lot finally do get it on the field, it's immediately obvious why they don't play more. The guys who were good enough to play (Najar, Hamid) got on the field pretty quickly and frequently.

As a DC fan I'm lucky to see our HGP success. I'd just like for it to see that success for every team.

Dartastic

Apparently the blank space in the logo can and should be used for customization.

r/MLS already has created some good ones:

vrAQ8Jv.gif
I love this one. Hahahaha.

I honestly really like the logo, especially after seeing it customized to specific teams within that Reddit thread. By itself it's really kinda boring, but when it's suited to each team it's really nice.

Also, I like that the TA kinda inspired it. :)

xbhaskarx

Why do all these soccer league logos have soccer balls and people kicking soccer balls and soccer fields... do they not know about Apple?

"The more modern brands of the world don’t need to telegraph a specific category or line of business they’re in. In many cases, they stand for something much bigger. A great example of that is Apple. They don’t need to explicitly tell you they’re a technology company."

No wonder the Bundeliga's smartphone never took off...

xbhaskarx

Fort Lauderdale Strikers sold to Brazilian group

The Fort Lauderdale Strikers will announce Friday morning that they have been sold from Traffic Sports to a group of three Brazilian investors, who will take over at the end of this season.

The new owners are Paulo Cesso, an entrepreneur in the fields of education and technology; Rafael Bertani, who ran a large education group in China that was sold to Pearson for $719.6 million; and Ricardo Geromel, who attended Fairleigh Dickinson University on a soccer scholarship and was a teammate of Weston native Alejandro Bedoya of the U.S. national team.

xbhaskarx

Expansion draft:

Major League Soccer will hold its expansion draft on Dec. 10, Orlando City general manager Paul McDonough and coach Adrian Heath said.

The draft will be held at 2 p.m. Teams must turn in their list of protected players on Dec. 8 at 2 p.m.

Also, barring any last minute changes, Orlando City officials will travel to New York City on Wednesday, Sept. 24 for the coin flip that will decide which team picks first in the expansion and MLS SuperDraft.

The winner of the toss between the Lions and NYCFC will get to choose whether they want to select first in the expansion or SuperDraft.

The SuperDraft is slated to be held on Jan. 15, 2015 in Philadelphia.

Given some of the #1 draft picks I think you have to choose the expansion draft...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Will there still be a Re-entry draft along with the expansion draft? We picked up some good players during the re-entry draft last year.

Elchele

damn that MLS logo is bad. It doesn't look like a league logo, more like a default club crest you put when creating a custom team in FIFA

Askani

Crowd was better than I thought. 16,834 for a Thursday night CCL group stage game is pretty good. Really filled up right as the game started and a little after.

xbhaskarx

Republic FC fans welcome Major League Soccer executives to Sacramento

Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott and Charles Altchek, special assistant to Commissioner Don Garber, huddled with a variety of political and business leaders to gauge support for soccer in Sacramento.

Arguably the biggest topic of the visit is where the team would play its home games. Republic FC executives said they would provide MLS with an outline for building a privately-financed stadium at the northeast corner of the downtown Sacramento railyard.

Drawings of the proposed stadium, expected to cost in excess of $100 million, were released to the public Wednesday. Also on Wednesday, the team announced a deal to purchase the necessary land from Kelley, who is in the process of buying the entire railyard from an Illinois real estate investment firm.

The stadium cost would come on top of the league’s expansion fee, which could run to around $80 million.

League watchers say Sacramento is getting by far the most intense in-person scrutiny of any of the contenders.

A third MLS executive, executive vice president for communications Dan Courtemanche, was expected to join the entourage late Thursday.

Benny Aziz of Think Big Sacramento, the mayor’s advisory committee, said the MLS delegation is expected to visit Elk Grove on Friday. City officials have launched their own bid for an MLS team and have purchased 100 acres of land for a possible stadium. But league observers believe MLS would prefer an urban location like Sacramento, and the leader of the Elk Grove effort, former Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez, has yet to unveil his financial backers.

Also Friday, the MLS delegation is expected to visit Bonney Field, Republic FC’s current home at Cal Expo. Smith has said the team plans to add at least 2,000 seats to the 8,000-seat stadium next year regardless of whether his group lands an MLS franchise. A standard MLS stadium seats about 20,000 fans.

While the formal visit is supposed to conclude Friday afternoon with a press conference at the railyard, Abbott said Altchek plans to attend Republic FC’s second-round playoff game Saturday night against L.A. Galaxy II.

Sacramento Republic playoff party tonight:

xbhaskarx

There’s no decision yet on Sacramento’s Major League Soccer dream.

However, league executives who completed an intense two-day evaluation of Sacramento as a potential expansion market on Friday proclaimed they were “incredibly impressed” by the city’s effort and will continue exploring it as an option in the weeks ahead.

"It’s tremendous, the progress that’s being made here," Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott said during an afternoon press conference at the downtown railyard, site of a proposed 20,000-seat soccer stadium. "I look forward to hearing more about the possibility of Major League Soccer here."

A decision on Sacramento's bid to become the 24th franchise in the nation's premiere soccer league could come as early as December, when the league's existing owners meet in the host city of the MLS Cup league championship match. Sacramento is believed to be in a tight competition with Minneapolis for what could be the final expansion spot in MLS until at least 2020.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/19/6721612/major-league-soccer-official-declares.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom