• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

Found a stream with no commentators

Sounds like a good atmosphere tonight

And Seattle fans must be loaded, they travel everywhere and in numbers.

xbhaskarx

Evan Ream ‏@EvanReam

MLS press conference in Sacramento will take place Friday at 2:30 p.m. at the Railyards. #SRFC

Why have a press conference?

Sac Republic:

MLS Visit Press Conference

When:
September 19, 2014 @ 1:45 pm – 3:00 pm

Where:
TBD

Cost:
FREE

At the end of MLS’ visit to Sacramento, there will be a final presentation and subsequent press conference will take place at the Railyards with Sacramento Republic FC, Mayor Kevin Johnson, Think Big and Major League Soccer.

This is event is open to the public and fans are encouraged to attend. Doors open at 1:45 pm.

Location at the Railyards & parking details to be announced.

is it happening . gif??

I'm not sure what my MLS allegiance would be if Sacramento joined... I currently live/work near San Jose and have Earthquakes season tickets, but I identify more with the Sacramento area.

Thank God, now I can sit down. That turned into a fantastic match. Ton of respect to the Union crowd, made for a great atmosphere and I would have bet money Philly was going to win that before the end of regulation.

Thank God, now I can sit down. That turned into a fantastic match. Ton of respect to the Union crowd, made for a great atmosphere and I would have bet money Philly was going to win that before the end of regulation.

So did I

Union did well just couldn't close it out :/ MacMath made some mistakes that he shouldn't have made. Need some more depth. And another good defender.

jergrah

Nice win for the Sounders -- they were lucky to escape regulation tied though. Loved seeing Martins get the assist and then final goal - my man.

Now to see if they can keep their shit together as the season wraps up, it was almost this exact time last year they fell apart.

I love the gifs MLS posts on their G+ page:

Frei.gif

xbhaskarx

things are happening...

Doug McIntyre ‏@DougMacESPN

MLS schedules "major announcement" tomorrow to "celebrate the future of our league." In other words: New logo to be unveiled.

Major Announcement Coming this Friday
The Strikers will be making a major announcement this Friday, September 19, regarding the ownership and future status of the club.

Stay tuned to the Strikers' social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) for updates regarding the exciting developments.

Marcelo Claure asegura que pronto habrán "anuncios importantes" en cuanto al potencial equipo de la MLS en Miami

The Sacramento Republic press conference is also on Friday...

xbhaskarx

Report: Charlotte aims for long-term MLS expansion as USL PRO club changes hands

A new ownership group in Charlotte, North Carolina, has announced its long-term ambitions to attract the attention of Major League Soccer as it takes over the city's USL PRO rights, the Charlotte Observer reported on Wednesday.

Queen City Soccer Club, Inc. are expected to formally announce their entry into the third-division professional league on Wednesday, taking the spot vacated by the Charlotte Eagles, who are dropping down to the fourth tier Premier Development League.

The new owners are hopeful their new team, which the Observer reports will be named the Charlotte Independence, can lay the groundwork for future MLS expansion.

Rapids expected to partner with new Charlotte USL Pro team

Many local soccer supporters had seen the USL Pro expansion team Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC as a potential partner for the Rapids, given their close proximity. However, Rapids President Tim Hinchey dismissed the idea when asked about it back in May.

Hinchey added that in the long term, the Rapids would like to have their own USL Pro and PDL teams based in Commerce City.

xbhaskarx

Looks like Defoe may be back soon but then leaving at the end of the season:

“What I understand is he’s supposed to be back on the 20th,” TFC head coach Greg Vanney told reporters at training Tuesday. “He has a match that he’s targeted in terms of returning to play.”

“We’re not done by any means,” Leiweke said regarding TFC's rebuilding process. “We will have some new DPs we got to go get next year, I predict. I personally don’t think Defoe will come back. I think if he doesn’t want to be here, you get rid of him.”

New coach as well:
Also Wednesday, Toronto announced the hiring of Dan Calichman as an assistant coach. A former MLS defender who played with Vanney at the Los Angeles Galaxy, he has been brought on to help with the TFC defence.

TFC GM Bezbatchenko puts faith in analytics

The 32-year-old GM said the club has created a department of cognitive science, to help young players' "speed of processing" on the pitch among other things.

The franchise has also made its scouting department independent of coaches. "That has never happened here before," he said.

He said that will help create a regular database and ensure that information or contacts aren't lost when a coach leaves. The club is also committed to analytics, he said, with databases set up over the last year.

"Now we're looking to apply it in the area of cap management, the area of scouting and sports science and nutrition," he said. "Making sure that our players are not susceptible to injury because of overtraining as you've seen this year."

Bezbatchenko said he expected the salary cap to rise US$1 million to $4 million after the next collective bargain agreement, allowing for more player investment.

And any money from players sales will be reinvested, he said. There have been question-marks over the future of star striker Jermain Defoe in recent weeks with the club turning down a franchise-record offer at the closing of the last transfer window.

"If we end up selling a player no matter who it is, that money will be invested back into the team for either designated players or a facility or something that will improve the team," Bezbatchenko said. "That's my commitment to you."

Bezbatchenko said the club wants to double the number of players that have graduated from its academy over the next three years and double the number of players on the roster that were drafted by the club.

Currently the club only has three players it has drafted on it roster from its eight-year history: Daniel Lovitz, Nick Hagglund and Kyle Bekker.

"Frankly that is unacceptable," said Bezbatchenko.

Bezbatchenko also said the club is committed to improving the BMO Field experience, with stadium renovations including high-end premium areas.

The club is looking to add a feeder team in the USL Pro league, he said.

Fulham, sans Hyndman, went down 2-0, back up 3-2, and eventually lost 5-3. Have to figure Magath will get fired soon. They have 0 wins, 1 draw, and 6 losses in the league now.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully more Homegrown players being signed in the league means more playing time for them.

How many are actually getting adequate playing time to help them develop?

Nesotenso

Hopefully more Homegrown players being signed in the league means more playing time for them.

How many are actually getting adequate playing time to help them develop?

having your own USL pro side, if you have the players to fill the roster, will be key. The teams which do this as soon as possible will be ahead of the curve.

Meara
Eckersley-Miazga-DP-Kimura
Christianson
Stevenson-Cahill-Bover
Sene-Obekop

WOW

Just...wow

:(

I doubt you'll need to rest your guys for Saturday with the Sounders having played 120 minutes yesterday and several of our guys breaking in the late game. I assume we're kind of writing off this weekend, as much as I want the points for that Shield race.

xbhaskarx

Sacramento Republic FC releases plans for soccer stadium in downtown railyard

Sacramento Republic FC released drawings today of a planned soccer stadium in the downtown railyard that the club says could host a Major League Soccer franchise.

The release of the renderings comes on the eve of a visit by MLS executives who plan to spend Thursday and Friday evaluating Sacramento’s viability as a potential expansion city into the nation’s top professional soccer league.

Drawings of the stadium show that the facility would be situated in the northeastern section of the 240-acre railyard, east of where 7th Street runs through the planned development. Railyards Boulevard, the main east-west thoroughfare of the development, is just south of the stadium site. The stadium would likely seat between 20,000 and 22,000 fans, the team said.

A map of the stadium site shows a light rail station one block away from the facility, on 7th Street. It also depicts a dramatic cityscape nearby, with towers and a four-block parkway near the stadium.

A grassy hill would sit on the northern edge of the stadium, giving fans a view of the field and the downtown skyline. Republic FC’s practice facility would be located a block away.

http://www.sacrepublicfc.com/republic-fc-chooses-railyards-stadium-site/#.VBoiAfldUwI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom