• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

This is about as fun as watching Spain abuse Tahiti.

Why are second stringers playing, I thought they were resting guys in MLS and prioritizing CCL...

no Collin god knows why, Meyers is out, so is Seth. Kronberg is shaky goal keeper and Vermes hasn't realized that. Peterson is playing because Vermes refuses to try anything else but the 4-3-3. Saad is out with injury as well

I just hope we cut out some of the garbage like Gardner, Peterson and Sapong. These guys should probably play for the NASL

Askani

This is exactly what I didn't want. If we lost, ok...but I wanted us to at least say we held our own. Instead we get embarrassed out of Mexico.

Askani

Well right now Cruz Azul is embarrassing plenty of other teams even within Mexico...

I was just too optimistic. I'm still flying high on the MLS Cup and not losing any key players, or any players really, in the off season. Gave me more hope than I should have had. It's a new season and it's a reality check I needed. I'm not doom and gloom and thinking we won't make the playoffs or anything, but it does give me questions.

Nesotenso

I was just too optimistic. I'm still flying high on the MLS Cup and not losing any key players, or any players really, in the off season. Gave me more hope than I should have had. It's a new season and it's a reality check I needed. I'm not doom and gloom and thinking we won't make the playoffs or anything, but it does give me questions.

well the reality check applies to all MLS teams to be honest. Thing is because of the salary cap you have the situation that you have some really poor guys suiting up next to really good players. People like to compare the MLS with the Championship in England saying that maybe the best could finish mid-table there. But the big difference is depth. Most MLS teams would struggle to consistently field a good eleven with the grueling championship schedule.

Raising the salary cap would solve some issues but probably bring light to others as well. Raising the cap does nothing to make the domestic pool better. The players deserve a better average and minimum salary but spending the money to raise the pay of mediocre guys is not going to accomplish anything. Raising the cap is a start and should go hand in hand with what the academies are doing.

side note, I hope that in a season or two most of the franchises are operating their own USL pro sides.

Askani

Askani has some aggression to work out. Askani gets on Steam.

kdOeHFV.png

Askani feels better now. Askani retires for the evening.

Askani

Since I'm new to MLS (first full season I'm watching), how does CCL work for the Red Bulls? They're in the next one?

Yes. The US gets 4 berths into CCL based on last year's league and tournament results. The US Soccer Federation determines who gets them. They've settled on: MLS Champs is the first (SKC), Supporter's Shield winners (NYRB), the top finisher in the opposite conference as the Supporter Shield winner (Portland), and the US Open Cup winner (DC).

Also, only if those teams are all US teams. The US Open Cup winner obviously is guaranteed to be US, but if a Canadian team were to take one of the three MLS spots, I don't know what the next step/tiebreak actually is.

Yes. The US gets 4 berths into CCL based on last year's league and tournament results. The US Soccer Federation determines who gets them. They've settled on: MLS Champs is the first (SKC), Supporter's Shield winners (NYRB), the top finisher in the opposite conference as the Supporter Shield winner (Portland), and the US Open Cup winner (DC).

Also, only if those teams are all US teams. The US Open Cup winner obviously is guaranteed to be US, but if a Canadian team were to take one of the three MLS spots, I don't know what the next step/tiebreak actually is.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. Appreciate it.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
For what it's worth, you mls dudes won respect for your league...if that counts as the only win on this season's ccl.

Askani

Appreciated and I hope it's true.

Although I will ask with who? The last quote I saw from anyone was the Toluca coach saying he couldn't see how people were saying soccer has grown/improved in America.

UncleO

MLS will be stuck behind Mexico until the almighty Garber decides to loosen the purse strings up a little. Ive never been asking for a huge jump in the salary cap but if you up the cap to about $10-15 mil. You should be able to field a deep enough team to compete.

Nesotenso

MLS will be stuck behind Mexico until the almighty Garber decides to loosen the purse strings up a little. Ive never been asking for a huge jump in the salary cap but if you up the cap to about $10-15 mil. You should be able to field a deep enough team to compete.

increasing the salary cap by that much allows you to get more expensive and better foreign talent. But it does nothing to magically improve the domestic talent you have right now. Paying guys like Gardner more is not going to make him better. Increasing the cap is not the solution to making MLS teams better.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
increasing the salary cap by that much allows you to get more expensive and better foreign talent. But it does nothing to magically improve the domestic talent you have right now. Paying guys like Gardner more is not going to make him better. Increasing the cap is not the solution to making MLS teams better.
Now this is what mls should be focusing on rather than buying European talent or raising the cap because liga mx's talented youth in the u15's thru u20's struggle to make an impact in the league due to overpaid foreigners who are not worth the cost to win the league, cup and/or the ccl. Mls is better off enriching youth programs.

A couple updates from Sciaretta:
I've been told that #SKC CB Eric Palmer Brown has been called up to the US U-20 team for the Dallas Cup. Playing up a U20 cycle. #usmnt

Aron Johannsson and AZ Alkmaar are through to the final 8 of the Europa League with a 1-0 aggregate win over Russia's Anzhi #usmnt

Nesotenso

Now this is what mls should be focusing on rather than buying European talent or raising the cap because liga mx's talented youth in the u15's thru u20's struggle to make an impact in the league due to overpaid foreigners who are not worth the cost to win the league, cup and/or the ccl. Mls is better off enriching youth programs.

Liga MX has a good selection of latin American players along with the domestic pool. But yes for every South American in a starting XI, a Mexican player is not getting a shot. Our domestic pool is not good enough to justify paying them 3 times or 5 times more. The base salary should increase but a lot of American players shouldn't command DP level money because they are not good enough. We have guys like Sapong, Peterson and Gardner on our roster because even if we cut them, who are we going to replace them with.

Each MLS team having a USL pro side is something which I want to happen because it goes some way in ensuring that in the future we don't have to rely on the aforementioned "talent".

UncleO

Can't keep your best young talent if you can't pay them due to a low salary cap. And all the voodoo mls rules that are created will not help with the depth issue that is a current problem in the mls. If you want to have your team to make deep run in regional competitions then you have to have a semi deep bench. with the salary cap at $3.5/4 mil i find it hard to field a team worth a damn past the starting 11. Everyone agrees that MLS #1 priority should to retain its young talent but eventually if they are good enough someone will come a calling with a salary that MLS can't compete with. I bet the quality of the game increases with the ability to fill a 25-30 man roster with a $10 mil dollar cap.

BTW i just threw the 10-15 number out there.

I do like the NYCFC scarf they got on their store to buy. However, that price seems steep. The NYRB one I got last season was around $25 if I remember correctly.

I want to start collecting scarves from all the MLS teams. Seems like it'd be a neat little project.

- Road to the Roster, Featuring Jurgen Klinsmann: Episode 2
ussoccer.com's "Road to the Roster" returns for episode 2, with U.S. MNT head coach Jurgen Klinsmann discussing what stood out from this past weekend's matches around the world, concerns ahead of the FIFA World Cup, and his thoughts on the CONCACAF Champions League. We also hear from U.S. MNT goalkeeper Brad Guzan, who helped Aston Villa to a huge win against Chelsea this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom