• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Are Besler-Collin and Goodson-Bernardez the two best CB pairings in MLS? Maybe Schuler-Borchers are third when they're healthy?

Edit: Ike Opara, not one of the best CBs

Hieberrr

Wow, watching the game at the stadium is a lot different than watching it on TV. I really didn't realize that DC had 63% of the possession.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
It's so frustrating to see more advertising for a club that doesn't even have an on-field product yet than your own established club. For a company that advertises it's product in other realms so well it's astounding that they just stupendously fail in this one.

Hieberrr

It's so frustrating to see more advertising for a club that doesn't even have an on-field product yet than your own established club. For a company that advertises it's product in other realms so well it's astounding that they just stupendously fail in this one.
Red Bulls?

Osorio

They will be forced to in later years.

The only thing I care about is that our product on the field is better than theirs.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Red Bulls?

Aye.

They will be forced to in later years.

The only thing I care about is that our product on the field is better than theirs.

I'd rather they see the signs and be proactive instead of reactive, but yeah, having the better team that produces results will help.

Well, we got Chicago today. I was thinking of going to Legends to watch it but I have so much home shit to do. Oh well.

Azuran

Banned
Wow, watching the game at the stadium is a lot different than watching it on TV. I really didn't realize that DC had 63% of the possession.

Yeah, but even on TV you wouldn't have known if they didn't constantly remind us. TFC's defense manage to shut down DC's attack completely. The most promising part is that even with limited possession, TFC still looks really dangerous when they attack. Once they get that check, it will be pretty.

Hieberrr

Yeah, but even on TV you wouldn't have known if they didn't constantly remind us. TFC's defense manage to shut down DC's attack completely. The most promising part is that even with limited possession, TFC still looks really dangerous when they attack. Once they get that check, it will be pretty.
Yeah, I know. I barely noticed it during the Seattle match. We look good when counter attacking (or I guess, we make it count when we have the ball). It's a little crazy to look at the numbers and see that we have 30% of the possession sometimes.

xbhaskarx

David Beckham’s big project: Design for PortMiami soccer stadium revealed

The fairly fleshed-out stadium blueprint, a collaboration between Miami’s Arquitectonica and 360 Architecture of Kansas City, is designed to capitalize on a bay location that looks back toward downtown — providing visitors a spectacular vista, Alschuler said, “that only fish and private yachts” can now enjoy.

The overall site plan, by Arquitectonica, envisions connecting the stadium and plaza to downtown Miami via an unused drawbridge that would be converted into a linear park for pedestrians. The plaza, ringed by dining and retail establishments, would be programmed by the team with outdoor film screenings, concerts, World Cup broadcasts and other events throughout the year. The stadium would face the plaza with shops, maybe a Beckham museum, and open terraces. It would also have a nightclub open year-round to the public.

9AiA5.St.56.jpeg

oBucp.St.56.jpeg

AGqjs.St.56.jpeg

Speculation is that the USMNT roster for the Mexico friendly will be announced after the matches next weekend, but we should get some leaks before then. Green will be involved, but that's about all we know so far. Also, Xolos have a CCL semi-final right around then, so presumably Herc, Corona, Castillo, and Garza aren't available. The roster will be mostly MLS players.

EDIT:
@SoccerInsider said:
#USMNT camp opens Sun in Phoenix with #MLS & Liga MX players, plus Julian Green, whose assoc switch was approved by FIFA today

Ahead of #usmnt camp, @J_Klinsmann will attend @torontofc at @RealSaltLake Sat to see Rimando, Beckerman, Bradley

xbhaskarx

Also, Xolos have a CCL semi-final right around then, so presumably Herc, Corona, Castillo, and Garza aren't available.

I really don't think any Tijuana players will make the 23 man World Cup roster, which is a bit strange considering they won their league and recently beat LA to advance to CCL semifinals...

Nesotenso

I really don't think any Tijuana players will make the 23 man World Cup roster, which is a bit strange considering they won their league and recently beat LA to advance to CCL semifinals...

wish Garza got a look. He looked promising against LA which was the first time I got to see him play for an extended period.

Slizz

Beckham had a press conference about an hour ago and some of it was on local TV, I unfortunately missed all of it.

He did say however name of the team will be revealed in a month.

Nesotenso

some rumor going around that Yedlin is going to be called up for the Mexico game. If that is the case I expect Gil to be there as well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Beckham had a press conference about an hour ago and some of it was on local TV, I unfortunately missed all of it.

He did say however name of the team will be revealed in a month.

If it's not Miami Vice I will be severely disappointed.

The Krafts Are the Worst Owners in the League

Last October, ESPN’s Sunday NFL Countdown ran a fluffy segment about how New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft’s box at Gillette Stadium has become Boston’s “most exclusive club.” He invites “a gathering of the A-list” to each Pats home game, the piece gushed, mixing politicians, actors, media moguls, and musicians. Ozzy Osbourne marveled at the hot dogs. Steven Tyler speculated that the sauerbraten was flown in from Germany. Mark Wahlberg said the wine made it feel like France. “Bob,” Wahlberg said, “just does everything top-notch.”

A week later, the Krafts’ other team, the New England Revolution, faced off against the Columbus Crew in their final MLS home game of the year. At 26,548, the crowd was the best of the season, but the fans’ uneven distribution throughout the lower bowl of the 68,756-capacity stadium left big pockets of empty seats. A red tarp covered a large swath behind the first 20 rows in back of the southern goal. Across the field, the Revs’ biggest supporters’ group, the Midnight Riders, did their best to bring the ruckus, but at times Gillette was so quiet that you could clearly hear the players’ yells and the dull thud of boot on ball. And this was with a crowd 78 percent bigger than usual: The Revs averaged 14,844 fans per game last season, fourth worst in the 19-team league. New England beat Columbus 3–2, but during the game, the Krafts’ box hardly felt like an exclusive club. There were no celebrities, not even any lesser Wahlbergs. It was hardly—as Mark would have put it—“top-notch.”

Nearly 20 years after its launch, Major League Soccer is finally booming in America, reaching a point of unprecedented profitability, popularity, and expansion—at least it is in other places. But not in Boston. While the city’s population of hip young urbanites, immigrants, college students, and soccer-crazed kids would seem ideally suited to ride the MLS wave—especially considering our collective sports obsession—the Revolution toil in obscurity. What David Ortiz eats for lunch gets more buzz than Revs playoff games.

Saw Grant Wahl tweet this out.

Jeff Carlisle said:
Arsenal spokesperson confirms that Gedion Zelalem has declined call up to German U-17 team. #usmnt

Club said Zelalem would remain w/team b/c "of important fixtures in the Club’s U21s fixture schedule & to work on his fitness." #usmnt

daoster

It's still a real long shot given that he doesn't have US citizenship, but at least this keeps him in play for now.

True, I was reading more into it, and apparently according to a Steven Goff article last August, before Zelalem can become a citizen, one of his parents has to become a citizen first. The Goff article mentions about rumors that his dad started the whole naturalization process, so there's still a possibility.

He has a little less than a year left before he is completely ineligible, but...this is GAF...I believe!

Meier

The rebranded LA team better have some pinache behind it. Brand extensions like NYCFC are not good for the league.

I don't really understand how or why it's a bad thing personally. City will definitely field a competitive team and the fact that Man City is going to loan out youth products will mean that fans back in the UK and around the world will also follow NYCFC with a strong interest.

In the end, it'll only help continue to make MLS bigger on a global scale. City in the Community has already donated 4 pitches in cities around the US. I would expect these efforts to further ramp up now with an actual US-based team as well.

Lkr

Didn't read the entire article, but I don't know how you can blame Kraft entirely. Isn't NE a very successful club in the MLS? The obvious solution would be to build them a stadium, but I doubt it is worth it for Kraft to fund, and I doubt the city wants to build them anything(the same city that has their hugely profitable baseball team playing in a dump still). They probably should do something to make it have a better seating arrangement however.

On another note, USMNT tickets for Everbank Field go on sale tomorrow morning, can't wait to purchase! Why is the Mexico match in Arizona btw? Just trying to test the team in a more hostile environment with nothing on the line?

On another rant, I feel like rebranding Chivas to LAFC would be a fun way to market a natural MLS rivalry. You have NYCFC vs Red Bulls, LAFC vs Galaxy, and then you could potentially have NYCFC vs LAFC have the same inaugural seasons. Sounds like the kind of buzz the MLS needs

Why is the Mexico match in Arizona btw? Just trying to test the team in a more hostile environment with nothing on the line?
The US Soccer federation makes a ton of money annually on the US-Mexico friendly (they'll be close to a sellout with high ticket prices) and all of the Mexican National Team matches that take place in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom