• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

6'2'', 6'3'', 5'11'', 6'0'', 6'1''.

Those are the heights of the top five picks in this year's SuperDraft (Cyle Larin, Khiry Shelton, Romario Williams, Fatai Alashe, Nick Besler).

5'8'', 5'6'', 5'7'', 5'7'', 5'6''.

Those are the heights of five players signed to Homegrown contracts during the 2014 season that weren't available for selection until the 2015 season (Collin Fernandez, Ben Swanson, Alejandro Zendejas, Sebastian Saucedo, Marco Bustos).

These two different samples are just a small example of the disparity between SuperDraft picks and Homegrown players in terms of physical size.

And then there was 6'7" Axel Sjoberg... Quakes helping out by drafting a 6'5" forward today.

I'm curious about the sample size and whether or not they age normalized the numbers, but it's an interesting observation. Makes sense that you might give a kid with skills more of a shot if you're more familiar with him on the field, whereas at the combine you're more likely to rely on their physical stats, 40 time, etc...

Dartastic

AAAAARGH. FINALLY I'M UNBANNED. FIRST POST AFTER BEING UNBANNED BECAUSE SOCCERRRRRR. That was like, the longest BAN EVER EVEN THOUGH IT WAS ONLY A MONTH. I HAVE SO MUCH I WANT TO SAY UGHHHHHH.

I'LL START WITH PORTLAND. OUR DRAFT WENT WELL, AND WE GOT FUCKED OUT OF ANOTHER USMNT PLAYER. WHEEEE

RED BULL FANS. I'M SO SORRY. I'M SO, SO SORRY. I EVEN DEFENDED YOU GUYS ON TWITTER ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS AGAINST NOTABLE JOURNALISTS AND STUFF BECAUSE OF HOW FUCKED YOUR SITUATION IS. ALSO, FUCK NYCFC. FUCK THEM.

MLS. TRANSPARENCY. OOOOOOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOO

CBA. FFS, PAY INCREASE. 1/2 OF JOZY'S CONTRACT COULD GIVE 35K TO 432 PEOPLE IN ONE GODDAMN YEAR. IT'S FUCKING RIDICULOUS. PAY YOUR PLAYERS.

With that, I just kinda wish I bought a 2014 USMNT away jersey when it was possible, but I didn't have a job that would enable me to afford one. Ugh.

EDIT: GERRARD. FFFFFF. THE LIVERPOOL FAN IN ME IS EXCITED. THE LIVERPOOL FAN IN ME IS ALSO CONFLICTED, AND ALSO SAD THAT HE CAN'T SEE GERRARD IN PORTLAND THIS SEASON.

Clydefrog

AAAAARGH. FINALLY I'M UNBANNED. FIRST POST AFTER BEING UNBANNED BECAUSE SOCCERRRRRR. That was like, the longest BAN EVER EVEN THOUGH IT WAS ONLY A MONTH. I HAVE SO MUCH I WANT TO SAY UGHHHHHH.

I'LL START WITH PORTLAND. OUR DRAFT WENT WELL, AND WE GOT FUCKED OUT OF ANOTHER USMNT PLAYER. WHEEEE

RED BULL FANS. I'M SO SORRY. I'M SO, SO SORRY. I EVEN DEFENDED YOU GUYS ON TWITTER ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS AGAINST NOTABLE JOURNALISTS AND STUFF BECAUSE OF HOW FUCKED YOUR SITUATION IS. ALSO, FUCK NYCFC. FUCK THEM.

MLS. TRANSPARENCY. OOOOOOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOO

CBA. FFS, PAY INCREASE. 1/2 OF JOZY'S CONTRACT COULD GIVE 35K TO 432 PEOPLE IN ONE GODDAMN YEAR. IT'S FUCKING RIDICULOUS. PAY YOUR PLAYERS.

With that, I just kinda wish I bought a 2014 USMNT away jersey when it was possible, but I didn't have a job that would enable me to afford one. Ugh.

EDIT: GERRARD. FFFFFF. THE LIVERPOOL FAN IN ME IS EXCITED. THE LIVERPOOL FAN IN ME IS ALSO CONFLICTED, AND ALSO SAD THAT HE CAN'T SEE GERRARD IN PORTLAND THIS SEASON.

kvNLRsY.gif

welcome back

Arials

I'm curious about the sample size and whether or not they age normalized the numbers,

They didn't and most of the home grown signings are only 17 rather than ~21 like the super draft signings.

The "home grown" signings: '97, '97, '97, '96, '98
The "super draft" signings: '95, '93, '94, '93, '93

Greg Seltzer says he wouldn't be surprised if Yedlin starts tonight:
Yeah, I think tonight is the night we get to see DeAndre Yedlin (pictured in yesterday's training with Christian Eriksen) make his Tottenham debut.

Spurs are still working Kyle Walker back from injury in the midst of a fixture crunch, they sold Kyle Naughton to Swansea yesterday and tonight's Capital One Cup semifinal opening leg visitor is League One Sheffield United. My brain says a start is not out of the question.

We shall see, but Yedlin is in the provisional squad of 24, with a dress squad of 18 to be named about an hour before kickoff.

- WVHooligan: Report: Draft could see change in 2017
MLS is apparently looking to change some things with the draft in the future according to the Orlando Sentinel.

As the MLS draft pool is further watered down by the increase of homegrown prospects in the college ranks, and with teams putting an emphasis on developing players through its own youth systems, MLS is considering combining the draft with the MLS combine, a source with knowledge of the plans said.

The move would likely not happen until the 2017 MLS SuperDraft. The combine is held the week before the draft, traditionally in South Florida.

- Olivier Giroud talking about Zelalem with SI:
SI.com: In the United States, there’s been a lot of excitement recently about Gedion Zelalem, who appears ready to join the U.S. men’s national team. You see him regularly in training and on the pitch. Can you describe Gedion and what he’s like based on what you’ve seen at Arsenal?

Giroud: Out of the field, I don’t know him very well. But he looks like a guy who is really shy and really respectful. He always listens to advice from his teammates. He’s still young. He still can improve himself.

I think he can put more aggressiveness in his game. I know he’s not a strong fellow, but he’s a fantastic footballer. Technically, he’s amazing, and he sees everything before the other players. I think he will be a really great player, but he needs game time. He needs to play more. But he has fantastic quality.

He’s really clever. He’s got really great technique. The main thing I think we would love to improve is the impact in the physical way. He will get muscles (laughs) - he will get strong. He’s still so young.

SI.com: Some have said that Gedion might be the type of player the United States has been missing. What kind of impact would you expect him to have for the U.S. men’s national team?

Giroud: Honestly, I don’t know. But he’s a really talented player. I think he will need to play several games at the high level internationally. He will take advantage of it, and his confidence will increase. I’m sure he will be an important player for the U.S. national team, especially because he is really clever and his technique is fantastic.

U20's back at it today:
The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team is one step away from clinching a playoff spot at the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship when it faces Trinidad & Tobago on Wednesday, Jan. 21, at the Montego Bay Sports Complex in Jamaica.

The USA has won back-to-back games against Aruba and Jamaica and is third in Group A with a 2-1-1 record and seven points behind Panama (4-0-0, 12 points) and Guatemala (3-0-1, 10 points). Trinidad & Tobago is fourth in the group at 1-2-1 (4 points), Jamaica is fifth at 0-3-1 (1 point) and Aruba is sixth (0-4-0, 0 points).

If these standings hold, Panama would win the group and earn automatic qualification to the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand. The second- and third-place teams, currently Guatemala and the USA, would advance to a playoff match on Saturday. The CONCACAF U-20 Championship’s four playoff-bound teams will be reseeded to determine the matchups, and the two playoff winners would then qualify for the FIFA U-20 World Cup.

The U.S. will clinch a playoff berth with either a win or a draw against Trinidad & Tobago.
5:30pm ET kickoff on FOX Sports 2, UDN

Arials

A surprisingly strong (IMO) Man City XI for that: Caballero, Sagna, Boyata, Mangala, Kolarov, Fernando, Lampard, Milner, Barker, Jovetic, Dzeko

Brandon Barker is one NYCFC should be taking a serious look at trying to loan in. Lampard limped off injured.

Noooo, TFC traded Kyle Bekker to Dallas. I guess Osorio is their young Canadian midfielder of the future.

Ah well, I liked him. He was alright.

xbhaskarx

Expanded USL PRO Unveils 2015 Format
24 clubs split into 2 conferences, 28-game schedule

2015 USL PRO Alignment

Eastern Conference
Charleston Battery
Charlotte Independence
FC Montreal
Harrisburg City Islanders
Louisville City FC
*New York Red Bulls
Pittsburgh Riverhounds
Richmond Kickers
Rochester Rhinos
Saint Louis FC
Toronto FC II
Wilmington Hammerheads FC

Western Conference
Arizona United SC
Austin Aztex
Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
LA Galaxy II
OKC Energy FC
Orange County Blues FC
Portland Timbers 2
Real Monarchs SLC
Sacramento Republic FC
Seattle Sounders FC 2
Tulsa Roughnecks FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2

*Name TBA

xbhaskarx

New York Red Bulls become eighth MLS team to field stand-alone USL PRO club

Toronto FC unveil name, logo, home venue for new USL PRO team

These "2" names are lame and uncreative but at least Toronto has a nice crest:

MLS-operated clubs (8):
LA Galaxy II
Sounders 2 – new in 2015
Timbers 2 – new in 2015
FC Montreal – new in 2015
Real Monarchs SLC – new in 2015
Toronto FC II – new in 2015
Whitecaps FC 2 – new in 2015
New York Red Bulls (name TBA) – new in 2015

Clubs with MLS affiliations (11)
* not all affiliations are confirmed for 2015
Austin Aztex – Columbus Crew SC – new affiliation
Charleston Battery – Houston Dynamo – new affiliation in 2015
Charlotte Independence – Colorado Rapids – new affiliation – re-classify from PDL in 2015
Harrisburg City Islanders – Philadelphia Union – affiliated in 2013-14
Oklahoma City Energy – Sporting Kansas City – affiliated in 2014
Richmond Kickers – D.C. United – affiliated in 2013-14
Rochester Rhinos – New England Revolution – affiliated in 2013-14
Sacramento Republic – San Jose Earthquakes – co-affiliated (with Portland) in 2014
Saint Louis FC – Chicago Fire – new in 2015, new affiliation
Louisville City – Orlando City – new in 2015
Wilmington Hammerheads – New York City FC – new affiliation in 2015

Unaffiliated clubs (5)
Arizona United
Colorado Springs Switchbacks – new in 2015
OC Blues
Pittsburgh Riverhounds – affiliated with Houston Dynamo in 2014
Tulsa Roughnecks – new in 2015

Meier

what does free agency would mean in the MLS?
Sorry if it's a dumb question.

I only sort of started following it last year in advance of Orlando City (p.s. Bryan Rochez can't stop scoring at the U-20s!) so I don't know all the ins and outs, but I know there is something called the re-entry draft.. I'm not certain if this is how it works, but it might be that players out of contract have to be "drafted" by a team and aren't truly free to sign wherever they want?

There's some explanation in this article:

- MLS Must Adopt Free Agency to Reach Lofty Goals

EDIT: Here's a blurb that Steven Goff wrote up in the Fall:
As in any labor negotiation, the sides will address dozens of issues. Many will not require much time and effort. But an agreement hinges on two major topics: player movement and salaries.

Undoubtedly, the MLS Players Union will want true free agency, similar to other U.S. sports leagues.

The union did make gains in the last CBA with the implementation of the re-entry draft. No longer would clubs maintain MLS rights to a player out of contract. Rather than having the freedom to entertain offers from multiple clubs, however, veterans applied for the re-entry process and waited to see which team claimed their negotiating rights. If selected in the first stage, the player would receive a comparable salary to the past season. If chosen in the second stage, the sides would negotiate from scratch. By using a draft, MLS prevented bidding wars — a device in pro sports that lifts salaries, creates offseason buzz among fans and generates story lines in the media.

From the players’ point of view, the re-entry draft has served two purposes: protect veterans from low-ball tactics and get players under contract earlier in the offseason. Previously, some went without a paycheck and league insurance until February.

No doubt, free agency is a scary leap for MLS, whose single-entity system discourages competition for players. Ultimately, though, it would align MLS with other leagues, in soccer and otherwise. Clubs still would have to adhere to the salary cap, the guardrail against wild spending, but free agency would push larger salaries and, by extension, the need for a higher cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom