• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

http://www.concacaf.com/es/video/honduras-vs-canada-highlights-2

Rochez scored the first and third goal for Honduras v Canada. The last one was pretty good
I mentioned to pulga in the other thread that he couldn't stop scoring and then he got two more tonight. Must be top scorer at the tournament or close to it. Looking like a potentially wonderful signing for Orlando City.

Looks like he is tied for second most with 4. Gall is tied for first with 5.

Dartastic

Apparently Borchers is involved in the CBA talks and says that both sides are farther apart than they were the last time. He apparently said free agency is important part of the CBA negotiations, and the league hasn't wanted to address that & that is "unacceptable." Hoorayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Cystm

Worst
Liam Ridgewell ($1.2 million)

GOD FUCKING LORD, NO. NO. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOO.

E:

Worst
DaMarcus Beasley ($779,166)

Wtf are these teams thinking?

Dartastic

Worst

E:

Worst

I'm thinking Liam COMPLETELY transformed our defense from a piece of shit to actually pretty decent, and he did it almost immediately. Now that we have Nat paired up next to him, I'm feeling pretty good about our defense. Yeah his price is a bit high, but... Whatever.

Meier

Worst

E:

Worst

$1.2m represents less than $25k a week. His salary is about £15k a week which he certainly could have gotten at his age in England even if he'd signed for a Championship team let alone one in the Premiership.

DMB is just MNT inflation. He played a key roll at the World Cup so it's not hugely surprising even at his age.

xbhaskarx

What impact have United States Under-20 players had on the senior national team?

2001 was pretty deep:
Landon Donovan 2001 157
DaMarcus Beasley 2001 121
Oguchi Onyewu 2001 69
Bobby Convey 2001 46
Conor Casey 2001 19
Brad Davis 2001 17
Edson Buddle 2001 11
Brian Carroll 2001 8
Kyle Martino 2001 8
Alecko Eskandarian 2001 1

That class should have Kyle Beckerman, but apparently he wasn't on the U-20 team. He was on the 1999 U-17 team with Donovan, Beasley, Gooch, and Convey, though. As with those U-17s the best U-20 class is also the one with Donovan, unsurprisingly...

Cystm

I'm thinking Liam COMPLETELY transformed our defense from a piece of shit to actually pretty decent, and he did it almost immediately. Now that we have Nat paired up next to him, I'm feeling pretty good about our defense. Yeah his price is a bit high, but... Whatever.

Yeah, I have disagreed with you on Ridgewell's ability and worth before.

A million fucking dollars when dudes like Dax or other better backs like Nick Hagglund are making only 200k and below?

Fuck all that noise.

This guy is not even on Omar's level, who himself is probably overpaid, and this mid tier back is making as much as him?

E:
$1.2m represents less than $25k a week. His salary is about £15k a week which he certainly could have gotten at his age in England even if he'd signed for a Championship team let alone one in the Premiership.

DMB is just MNT inflation. He played a key roll at the World Cup so it's not hugely surprising even at his age.

Comparatively to other players in this league. They are all underpaid. I just hate to see guys like Dax make only a fraction of what someone like Ridgewell is making, when I feel like Dax makes more of an impact on the field and locker room.

Meier

Comparatively to other players in this league. They are all underpaid. I just hate to see guys like Dax make only a fraction of what someone like Ridgewell is making, when I feel like Dax makes more of an impact on the field and locker room.

It's just a case of precedent. These young American guys in MLS haven't ever made a lot of money so it's unlikely they'll make a lot unless they move abroad (which isn't necessarily easy to do).

If you sign a guy away from another league where most guys are making $1m a year or more, you've got to match that. If some Chinese or European team brings in an NBA player, they probably have to pay him a lot more than their domestic players as well.. just the way it works.

Cystm

It's just a case of precedent. These young American guys in MLS haven't ever made a lot of money so it's unlikely they'll make a lot unless they move abroad (which isn't necessarily easy to do).

If you sign a guy away from another league where most guys are making $1m a year or more, you've got to match that. If some Chinese or European team brings in an NBA player, they probably have to pay him a lot more than their domestic players as well.. just the way it works.

Sure, but they should not bringing in mediocrity and paying a premium for it when they can find better and cheaper talent here.

Meier

Sure, but they should not bringing in mediocrity and paying a premium for it when they can find better and cheaper talent here.
Well, obviously Portland disagrees with you and certainly most neutral observers probably would as well. But you also have to take into account that he was able to be signed on a free transfer. There's no guarantee that these supposed better, cheaper domestic options would be available.

Arials

Are there decent defenders in MLS earning significantly less then Ridgewell? Yes. Could the Portland Timbers have gone out with a $300K budget and got a player with the experience, quality and guaranteed impact of Ridgewell? No.

IMO it's also a factor that in MLS wage cap terms a $1.2m player and a $400k player are equivalent, so teams will overpay for that bit of extra quality (if they have the money) even if to an outside observer it maybe doesn't seem like a value for money deal.

Dartastic

Well, obviously Portland disagrees with you and certainly most neutral observers probably would as well. But you also have to take into account that he was able to be signed on a free transfer. There's no guarantee that these supposed better, cheaper domestic options would be available.

Are there decent defenders in MLS earning significantly less then Ridgewell? Yes. Could the Portland Timbers have gone out with a $300K budget and get a player with the experience, quality and guaranteed impact of Ridgewell? No.

IMO it's also a factor that in MLS wage cap terms a $1.2m player and a $400k player are equivalent, so teams will overpay for that bit of extra quality (if they have the money) even if to an outside observer it maybe doesn't seem like a value for money deal.
Pretty much. You have to remember that our defense in 2014 was an absolute fucking disaster until Ridgewell. Bad mistakes and a lack of communication were commonplace. Once we brought him in, our defense transformed from a dumpster fire to something pretty decent. He completely turned our season around. When you consider the wage cap implications as well, I don't think he is the worst value on our team by a long shot.

Now that we brought in Borchers and Paparatto has seemingly adjusted to MLS, I'm feeling good about our central defense situation this year.

xbhaskarx

It's my personal opinion that given the level of the salary cap and only three DP slots, basically no defender or goalkeeper (that would come here) is worth DP money. I think the fact that so many decent defenders have come into the league recently for less than DP money (Olave, C Valdes, Collin, Bernardez, J Goncalves, G Gonzalez, Goodson, Parkhurst, half a dozen this offseason) is proof of that.

How many DP defenders are there, just Omar Gonzalez, Beasley, and Ridgewell? All three are on the "worst deal" side of the list, which is not so much an indictment of those players (certainly Omar has been quite successful in MLS) as much as an indication that defenders are cheaper in general.

Historically the only other defender/goalkeeper DPs I can think of are Rafa Marquez and Frank Rost both from back when NYRB was a total mess...

Cystm

Well, If you say so and regardless, Ridgewell is not worth the price paid based on his sub par performance last season.

I like that they are taking their defensive problems seriously and are willing to spend top dollar to bolster said defense, but it just happens to turn out that Ridgewell is not worth the price paid, and is a budget sink.

Dartastic

Well, If you say so and regardless, Ridgewell is not worth the price paid based on his sub par performance last season.

I like that they are taking their defensive problems seriously and are willing to spend top dollar to bolster said defense, but it just happens to turn out that Ridgewell is not worth the price paid, and is a budget sink.
Can you tell me why you think his performance was "sub par?" Seriously, I really wonder why you think that.

Cystm

Can you tell me why you think his performance was "sub par?" Seriously, I really wonder why you think that.

Okay:

Feel me?

He is on loan with Wigan, with any luck he stays in England.

Edit Bonus: The skills. Why would they not want this guy?

Dartastic

Okay:

Feel me?

He is on loan with Wigan, with any luck he stays in England.

Edit Bonus: The skills. Why would they not want this guy?
Whoa. You really went all in on this. Okay.

For West Brom, he was being played at LB. He's not naturally a LB. He's a CB. Yes, he needed to improve, but that doesn't change the fact that he played in the Premier League for a while before that, so saying he was bad for a single club is kinda deceptive. Admittedly, it's not like he was a SUPER AMAZING DEFENDER or anything during his career in the Premiership, but still. Not necessarily the point.

Don't necessarily agree with the poor positioning thing as Paparatto was obviously on Dempsey's ass right there, but okay, he could have stepped in. Completely disagree with that second point. He wasn't watching ANYTHING, he was trying to cover for someone who got beat. It was bad defense by the entire team.

Impact. First link is dead. Second goal is NOT his fault. The player who received the pass for goal had two players on him who should have stepped up. Ridgewell was correctly in position.

Toronto. First link is to a goal that didn't count. Second link is not a good example, because you didn't give the context of the play. Rewind it a couple seconds. Bad positioning my ass. He was on his man, recognized danger, and tried to cut back in, admittedly too late. Your third link is basically the link of the game winner (which you essentially repeated twice) and I don't even have to watch the game winner for Toronto, that was on the entire team. That was a fucking DISASTER of a goal, period.

Colorado. The "handball" is immediately called by the commentators as "not a handball" and well, it's not a handball.

I don't really see much reason to go on. Our defense was awful, and so far I don't really see much in your examples that's damning Ridgewell. You obviously have something against him, I don't know why, and that's fine, I guess. The fact is, he made our defense transform from utter shit to actually fairly decent in 2014. That's a fact. He didn't play a huge roll in our losses; we went the first 8 games (ish) without a fucking win at ALL. Without him, we would have had NO chance of getting into the playoffs. We brought him in, and our defense IMMEDIATELY improved VASTLY. You can keep thinking he's an awful shitty defender who is overpayed, and I'll be glad he's part of our team when Borchers and Ridgewell solidify our defense for 2015 and bring us into the playoffs and hopefully grab us a Supporters Shield/MLS Cup.

Also looks like no Spanish language broadcast, but more people should be able to get legal streams:
In addition to FOX Soccer Plus and FOXSoccer2Go, the USA-El Salvador playoff match will be available on the FOX Sports Go app on phones, tablets and computers. Anyone authenticated as a FOX Sports 1 or FOX Sports 2 subscriber and has a provider that has FOX Sports Go can watch the game for free.

- Klinsmann Names 23-Player U.S. MNT Roster for Friendlies against Chile and Panama
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION

GOALKEEPERS (3): Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Jon Kempin (Sporting Kansas City), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids), Brek Shea (Orlando City), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)
Note that Yedlin was added.

Not traveling:
Meanwhile, six players have been released back to their clubs: Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas), Alex Bono (Toronto FC), Christian Dean (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Dennis Flores (Club Leon) Julio Morales (Tepic) and Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy), and Liverpool midfielder Marc Pelosi will remain in the area and rejoin the group when it returns to Los Angeles.

Cystm

Don't necessarily agree with the poor positioning thing as Paparatto was obviously on Dempsey's ass right there, but okay, he could have stepped in. Completely disagree with that second point. He wasn't watching ANYTHING, he was trying to cover for someone who got beat. It was bad defense by the entire team.

Yes, him just being out paced and beat 1v1 was not his fault at all. He is used to being out played in the center as I pointed out to you in the first link if this game.

Come on, son.

Impact. First link is dead. Second goal is NOT his fault. The player who received the pass for goal had two players on him who should have stepped up. Ridgewell was correctly in position.

Here is the first link that shows his awful challenge leaving wide open space that is his to occupy. He just kinda jogs along and hopes someone else recovers for him.

Toronto. First link is to a goal that didn't count.
Super. He still played like shit and enabled that to happen tho.

Second link is not a good example, because you didn't give the context of the play. Rewind it a couple seconds. Bad positioning my ass. He was on his man, recognized danger, and tried to cut back in, admittedly too late.

Yeah, he was too late on defense. I mean, it's not like there is a recurring pattern here with Ridgewell at all.

Your third link is basically the link of the game winner (which you essentially repeated twice) and I don't even have to watch the game winner for Toronto, that was on the entire team. That was a fucking DISASTER of a goal, period.

Here is the earlier goal timestamped properly for your dismissive rebuttal. He is directly involved in these scoring plays against the Timbers. He is literally responsible for goals against the Timbers after they had gone up by two goals. An away win and three points was well within their grasp and Ridgewell and the rest of the defense failed to hold on to it.

Colorado. The "handball" is immediately called by the commentators as "not a handball" and well, it's not a handball.
I did mistakenly timestamp it after the other angle showed him deliberately sticking out his arm to block the ball. Here is the other angle for your dismissive viewing pleasure.

You obviously have something against him, I don't know why, and that's fine, I guess.
Yes, and if you read the previous posts, you would know what that is. This guy is not worth the price paid.

You can keep thinking he's an awful shitty defender who is overpayed, and I'll be glad he's part of our team when Borchers and Ridgewell solidify our defense for 2015 and bring us into the playoffs and hopefully grab us a Supporters Shield/MLS Cup.

Borchers is a great pick up and with any luck you will fair better defensively this upcoming season. Ridewell was not worth the price paid in 2014, but that doesn't mean it is a for sure thing that he will continue to play like a pile of shit in a soccer kit next year.

It pains me to see Wondo still taking up a spot.

xbhaskarx

Italy head coach Antonio Conte backs Sebastian Giovinco: "Players will elbow each other to go to MLS"

"What else should he have done?" Conte asked rhetorically in an interview with Italian sports daily Tuttosport. "In a few years players will elbow each other to go there. [MLS] will grow so much, and not just in terms of chatter.

"According to the latest surveys young Americans between six and 12 years old don't choose the traditional sports like basketball and football, but they pick soccer. If they [North America] go down that road, pretty soon there's going to be problems for everyone."

"Seba made an important economic decision – who gives you that kind of money?," Conte continued. "And he's not going there to pass the time because I know him. He's a good guy.

"It's an opportunity that as a soccer player I would've taken immediately. I never had the experience overseas and it's very formative."

Arials

Liverpool midfielder Marc Pelosi will remain in the area and rejoin the group when it returns to Los Angeles.

His Liverpool contract expires in the summer and if they're not fussed about him kicking around LA doing nothing for the next two weeks then, well, it doesn't say much for his future (or lack of) there...

I wouldn't be surprised if he's using this time to see what his options would be with a few American clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom