• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

U.S. Soccer YNT ‏@ussoccer_ynt
New Zealand here we come! #1N1T
B8J5jZSIcAAWPhh.jpg

Blue Lou

Despite qualifying for the U20 World Cup, I think it's fair to say that the US campaign was a disappointment, with their resources they should be reaching the final at the very least. That was the 20th competition where there has been an outright winner of the competition and it's never been the US. Even Canada have won it twice.

http://www.concacaf.com/article/tsg-announces-cu20-best-xi-awards

2015 CONCACAF Under-20 Championship
Best XI

Goalkeeper: Jaime De Gracia (Panama)
Right Defender: Shaquell Moore (United States)
Central Defender: Rodrigo Gonzalez (Mexico)
Central Defender: Chin Hormechea (Panama)
Left Defender: Kevin Galvan (Panama)
Right Midfielder: Hirving Lozano (Mexico)
Central Midfielder: Erick Gutierrez (Mexico)
Central Midfielder: Luis Pereira (Panama)
Left Midfielder: Romain Gall (United States)
Forward: Alejandro Diaz (Mexico)
Forward: Ismael Diaz (Panama)

AWARDS

Golden Ball
Luis Pereira (Panama)

Golden Boot
Romain Gall (United States) & Hirving Lozano (Mexico), 5 goals

Golden Glove
Jaime De Gracia (Panama)

Fair Play Award
USA

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rumors are floating around that Miazga will join RB Leipzig. He was spotted in Qatar training with them.

Red Bull OUT

Seriously? Like we have a huge number of defenders that we can just send one off to help them out.

Red Bull needs to sell to that billionaire with the season tickets already and just get it over with. We all know that's how this ends.

Osorio

Seriously? Like we have a huge number of defenders that we can just send one off to help them out.

Red Bull needs to sell to that billionaire with the season tickets already and just get it over with. We all know that's how this ends.

It's all about the global apparatus bro.

What's best for Leipzig is best for all of us!

I hope the stadium is empty come March.

GRW810

Rumors are floating around that Miazga will join RB Leipzig. He was spotted in Qatar training with them.

Red Bull OUT
This really will be the final nail in the coffin for Red Bull even among those not feverishly anti-RB. This sort of rubbish just cannot happen.

Osorio

Another DP is biting the dust. Tim Cahill, who, according to the Red Bull brass, has been "holding the team hostage", looks to be going to the United Arab Emirates. According to Australia's The National, he has reached a "tentative deal" with oil-rich club Al Wahda.

"There is nothing formal yet though and we will have to wait until the end of the Asian Cup before a formal deal is signed," a source at the club said.

Cahill is currently playing for Australia in the Asian Cup, where he has scored three goals, including both in the quarterfinal win against China.

From the Metrofanatic homepage

Osorio

Out

Henry
Olave
Cahill
Sekagya
Meara
Eckersley
Kimura
Sene
Convey
Obekop

In

Zizzo
Reynish
Stolz
Davis
Bonomo
McLaws
Sanchez

Fate Undecided

Miazga
Oyongo

I said damn

Meier

Cahill is no big loss other than the fact he's a "name." He's not getting any younger and frankly has never been particularly great for the Red Bulls (I know he was played out of position but he's still very replaceable). Hopefully for the fans' sake they sign someone before the season starts.

Osorio

Cahill is no big loss other than the fact he's a "name." He's not getting any younger and frankly has never been particularly great for the Red Bulls (I know he was played out of position but he's still very replaceable). Hopefully for the fans' sake they sign someone before the season starts.

His 2013 performance for us was pivotal.

It's unfortunate we almost never got to see him in his natural no.9 position, he shows his talent for Australia

gutshot

Clint, Bradley, Jozy, Shea, Agudelo... Are there any former MLS players still left playing in Europe now?

Fake edit: Forgot about Yedlin, but he just started. At this rate, I suspect he'll be back next winter.

Arials

Clint, Bradley, Jozy, Shea, Agudelo... Are there any former MLS players still left playing in Europe now?

Fake edit: Forgot about Yedlin, but he just started. At this rate, I suspect he'll be back next winter.

Oriol Rosell has made a few appearances for Sporting CP this season, 6 goals in 11 games for Fredy Montero (same club), Andy Najar is still at Anderlecht. Not a very long list.

xbhaskarx

If Agudelo comes back with a humbled attitude, that's a great pickup for the Revs

Well non-humble Agudelo had 9 goals in just 1400 minutes in 2013 at the age of 20. Defoe had 11 goals in 1530 minutes last season for Toronto. And Agudelo is a full decade younger than Defoe. Cahill had 11 goals in 2013 but in like 2250 minutes. I said at the time that's the guy some MLS team should have paid, not these Zusi types... not sure why so many USMNT guys are getting overpaid and no one was willing to pay Agudelo. He was the best player on our U-23 team at age 19. Hopefully after a lost year he can get his career back on track.

Osorio

Well non-humble Agudelo had 9 goals in just 1400 minutes in 2013 at the age of 20. Defoe had 11 goals in 1530 minutes last season for Toronto. And Agudelo is a full decade younger than Defoe. I said at the time that's the guy some MLS team should have paid, not these Zusi types... not sure why so many USMNT guys are getting overpaid and no one was willing to pay Agudelo. Hopefully after a lost year he can get his career back on track.

He seems to be a locker room nuisance. I know his stint here was marred by his continual diva fits.

Elchele

Najar is already a starter at Anderlecht. And he's just 21, just a matter of time until he moves to a big club. MLS academy players should follow his example of skipping college, if they are good.

Red Bull OUT

Isn't Boyd going the other way around to NY? I can see a swap like that happening.
is Miazga a starter in NY? Leipzig is full of youth players in the starting XI I think

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Isn't Boyd going the other way around to NY? I can see a swap like that happening.
is Miazga a starter in NY? Leipzig is full of youth players in the starting XI I think

We have no idea if he'd be a starter or not, our back line got blown up after the season ended. Also we need defenders right now, not strikers.

Elchele

We have no idea if he'd be a starter or not, our back line got blown up after the season ended. Also we need defenders right now, not strikers.

Maybe Leipzig's coach is offering him playing time. MLS is still very shit in giving real minutes to young players
And maybe he's just in the training camp because he's good and a prospect for the future, not really moving right now

Najar went to Tottenham training for a few weeks and nothing happened, just checking him out.

Osorio

Didn't hear anything about Boyd coming here. Either way we don't need a forward as much as we need defenders. We have two CBs on the roster and Miazga is one of them.

However, the big problem is that Red Bull's top brass said Miazga would be getting minutes here. He's a homegrown player from nearby Clifton, NJ. He has a future ahead of him. He declined offers in Europe to play for us. Fans of the Red Bulls would like to feel like the team is ours, with local players playing in front of their friends and families instead of being just another team in the Red Bull empire. However, it looks like Red Bull has made it clear that Leipzig is top priority and whatever they want goes.

Red Bull OUT

Osorio

Maybe Leipzig's coach is offering him playing time. MLS is still very shit in giving real minutes to young players
And maybe he's just in the training camp because he's good and a prospect for the future, not really moving right now

So training camp started today and RBNY thought it was a good idea to send half of our total CBs to Qatar to kick around with Leipzig?

That sounds unreasonable.

He's joining Leipzig.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Najar went to Tottenham training for a few weeks and nothing happened, just checking him out.

We have all of two centerbacks and he's one of them, the idea that he won't get playing time in NY is bonkers.

Meier

Rumor is Shay Facey from City's U-21 team will join NYC on loan this season. Training with NYC currently. He is a quality defender and was one of City's academy player of the year nominees. The three others (Jason Denayer, Marcos Lopes and Seko Fofana) are out on loan for the full season at Celtic, Lille and Fulham respectively.

- Jeff Carlisle: The United States' 10 best players under the age of 21
THE TOP 10 U.S. U-21 PLAYERS
1. Emerson Hyndman
2. Rubio Rubin
3. Julian Green
4. Gedion Zelalem
5. Cameron Carter-Vickers
6. Tommy Thompson
7. Zack Steffen
8. Junior Flores
9. Paul Arriola
10. Christian Pulisic
Full explanation via the link.

- ASN: U.S. U-20 Report Card: Pros, Cons, Several Missing Stars
The team stumbled early and struggled to generate much offense, but tactical adjustments and strong defense played saw the U.S. U-20s qualify for this summer's World Cup in Jamaica.

Arials

Crazy that Carter-Vickers has gone from being unable to get into the England U17 squad 12 months ago to being described by Tab Ramos as the best centre back the US national team program has seen in the last six years.

- ESPNFC: Ranking the United States' top 25 players
RANKING THE TOP 25 U.S. PLAYERS
1. Clint Dempsey 2. Jermaine Jones 3. Alejandro Bedoya
4. Brad Guzan 5. Michael Bradley 6. Omar Gonzalez 7. Greg Garza
8. Timmy Chandler 9. Geoff Cameron 10. Fabian Johnson
11. John Brooks 12. Jozy Altidore 13. DeAndre Yedlin
14. Lee Nguyen 15. Kyle Beckerman 16. Graham Zusi
17. Matt Besler 18. Mix Diskerud 19. Aron Johannsson
20. Rubio Rubin 21. Bill Hamid 22. Nick Rimando 23. Julian Green 24. Joe Gyau 25. Emerson Hyndman

For the sake of comparison, here's the latest ASN 100.

Osorio

Dude.

HORRIBLE TRADE

My fucking god we're gonna tank hard this year. And I'll happily watch the ship burn from the shore.

Red Bull OUT

Dude.

HORRIBLE TRADE

My fucking god we're gonna tank hard this year. And I'll happily watch the ship burn from the shore.

Red Bull OUT

Now imagine if they don't get Sacha

Trade also includes the #1 spot in allocation going to NY

e: more Red Bull news

Mathew Wagner @Mathew_Wagner · 3m 3 minutes ago
Translated LRT: Matt Miazga left a test match between RB Leipzig and Red Bull Salzburg early with an injury.

Cystm

- ESPNFC: Ranking the United States' top 25 players

For the sake of comparison, here's the latest ASN 100.

That list is insane. Jozy should be near dead last. Bradley has not performed well in ages. Nyguen is probably higher up if he was actually given minutes or called in at all consistently in 2014.

Mine:

1. Jermaine Jones
  2. Brad Guzan
  3. Fabian Johnson
  4. Alejandro Bedoya
  5. Mix Diskerud
  6. Lee Nguyen
  7. Timmy Chandler
  8. John Brooks
  9. Geoff Cameron
  10. Greg Garza

Jones has been the most consistent player on the pitch. As I mentioned, Nguyen would be higher if allowed more play time. Mix made a couple of mistakes in the last friendly, but he was otherwise solid for us in the other matches. Fabian and Timmy have been solid for both club and country. Rubin shows a lot of potential, but potential does not win out over actual production. Dempsey has been in bad form since the tail end of last MLS season. Jozy is a train wreck and is last.

Osorio

Now imagine if they don't get Sacha

At this point I want Curtis and Marsh to fail as badly as possible.

With Oyongo out who would we have at LW? Zizzo? Bover? Lade?

We'd go from 1 CAM to 3 with Stolz and Peguy's roles unclear. I'd imagine Martins gets the starting role since he's Marsh's boy. Can Stolz play out wide?

Still no definitive CB signings just rumors of that guy Ronald Zubar and Perinelle returning which is a joke.

With a little more than a month to go before the season starts the starting XI is soooo vague

Osorio

MONTREAL – The Montreal Impact and the New York Red Bulls came to terms on a major transaction on Tuesday. The bleu-blanc-noir acquired Cameroon international left back Ambroise Oyongo, U.S. international midfielder Eric Alexander, allocation money and an international player spot for the 2015 season from the Red Bulls in exchange for midfielder Felipe and the first spot in the MLS allocation ranking.

"It's a trade that helps improve our current roster by adding two quality players, while the allocation money and international spot gives us more flexibility within the salary cap and our roster" said Impact technical director Adam Braz. "The decision to move Felipe was not easy as he`s been with the club since the beginning in MLS. We`d like to thank him for his time with the club over the last few years and we wish him the best of luck in the future.”

Oyongo, 23, amassed three assists in 13 games played, including 11 starts, in his first season in MLS in 2014. He also appeared as a substitute in the first three playoff games, assisted Wright-Phillip’s 90th minute winner in the knockout round win over Sporting KC. He then started and played a full 90 in both legs of the Eastern Conference Championship against New England. He also took part in three CONCACAF Champions League matches.

Originally from Ndikinimeki, Cameroon, he won three championships with Cotonsport FC in Cameroon's first division (2010, 2011, and 2013), as well as the Cameroon Cup in 2011.

At the international level, Oyongo played eight games with the Cameroon senior men's national team, scoring his first goal last January 20 in a 1-1 draw with Mali in the African Cup of Nations. He made his debut on July 28, 2013, against Gabon. He also took part in the FIFA U20 World Cup in 2011.

Alexander, 26, is an American midfielder embarking on his sixth season in MLS. He's scored eight goals and added 20 assists in 137 games played, including 105 starts, totaling almost 9,000 minutes. After having played for both FC Dallas and the Portland Timbers, he played all 34 games in each of the last two seasons with the Red Bulls, amassing a career high of nine assists last season. He's also made nine playoff appearances over his career, including six starts.

At the international level, Alexander was twice called in by the American national team, playing his first match with the USMNT on January 22, 2011 against Chili.

The team is training in Montreal for two weeks before heading to Mexico on February 8, in preparation for the first game of the home and away Champions League series against Mexican club Pachuca, on February 24, at 10pm ET (TVA Sports) in Mexico. The return leg of this important aggregate goal match up will be played on Tuesday, March 3, at Olympic Stadium (tickets: marquonslhistoire.com).

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/ne...ue-une-transaction-majeure-avec-les-red-bulls

Osorio

Mitchell Tierney‏@mitchrtierney
Ambroise Oyongo's agent calls trade "not fair or right". #RBNY told him player was in their plans, as a result rejected some offers. #IMFC

Curtis at it again. First Miazga now this.

Tim Ream's name is being thrown around in the rumor pool but with his contract extension that's highly unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom