• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
I know not all the pieces are in place, but I doubt it... TFC can't even shut out a High School team.

ivv3A7Ubuc19W.gif

Meier

Anyone promising from NYCFC that came from MCFC's youth group?

Only one player that has been linked and training with the club.. Shay Facey. He's a very solid defensive prospect. Supposedly he was just regaining fitness with NYCFC though and isn't actually expected to go on loan. As is, no one has been announced.. unsure if they will be able to loan players now that the transfer window is closed. You can do "youth loans" in England outside the transfer windows but they're not for a full-season necessarily.

Damn, NYC looked pretty good in their scrimmage today: http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/02/04/nycfc-vs-jacksonville-scrimmage-highlights?autoplay=true

xbhaskarx

Mexico's Herrera sees no issue in having his players ply their trades in MLS

There might be a heated rivalry between the US national team and Mexico, but that does not mean that El Tri head coach Miguel Herrera does not see MLS as a formidable league for his players.

Speaking to FutbolMLS.com's Tiro Libre Radio, Herrera broached the topic about potentially having his players suit up for MLS clubs. Herrera was specifically asked about Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez, who reportedly turned down recent interest from the Chicago Fire and LA Galaxy, and said that he has no problem with his national team players plying their trades in the United States or Canada.

"That's a decision made only and exclusively by the player and his representatives," said Herrera. "They should be looking for the best option possible, so long as the player is seeing the field. I've always said that MLS is growing, and every day it's much more solid, much stronger and more competitive, so it's an option [for players], but it is they who have to decide in the end."

xbhaskarx

US Soccer to use fixed Round of 16 bracket for 91-team 102nd edition of Lamar Hunt US Open Cup

All that expansion means 47 professional teams from the top three divisions...
The 102nd edition of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup will feature a tournament-record 91 teams and includes several new wrinkles, US Soccer announced on Wednesday.

Notable changes include a fixed bracket beginning with the Round of 16, formalization of a rule preventing clubs sharing an ownership group from meeting until the tournament final and a late-April start date.

All 17 US-based MLS teams will compete, entering in mid-June in Round 4, along with nine US-based NASL teams and 21 US-based teams from USL PRO, which includes five teams operated by MLS clubs.

Schedule

Preliminary Round: April 22-26, 4 amateur teams

Round 1: May 13, 40 amateur teams + 2 Preliminary Round winners

Round 2: May 20, 21 USL PRO clubs + 21 Round 1 winners

Round 3: May 27, 9 NASL clubs + 21 Round 2 winners

Round 4: June 16-17, 17 MLS clubs + 15 Round 3 winners

Round of 16: June 30-July 1, 16 Round 4 winners

Quarterfinals: July 21-22

Semifinals: Aug. 11-12

Final: Sept. 29-30

Qualified Teams

US Specialty Sports Association (1): to be determined

US Club Soccer (1): San Francisco City FC

US Adult Soccer Association (11): Maryland Bays, New York Greek American Atlas, KC Athletics, Madison Fire, Rayados, Triangle Brigade, Cal FC, Chula Vista FC, Mass Premier Soccer, PSA Elite, RWB Adria.

NPSL (12): Brooklyn Italians, Chattanooga FC, Greater Binghamton Thunder, Lansing United, Miami United, Tulsa Athletics, Upward Star (S.C.), 5 to be determined

PDL (19): Des Moines Menace, FC Tucson, Jersey Express, Kitsap Pumas, Michigan Bucks, Ocala Stampede, Seacoast United Phantoms, Ventura County Fusion, West Virginia Chaos, AC Connecticut, Burlingame Dragons (San Jose Earthquakes), BYU Cougars, Golden State Misioneros, Laredo Heat, Long Island Rough Riders, Midland/Odessa Sockers, Reading United (Philadelphia Union), SW Florida Adrenaline, Western Mass Pioneers.

USL PRO (21): Arizona United, Austin Aztex, Charleston Battery, Charlotte Independence, Colorado Springs Switchbacks, Harrisburg City Islanders, LA Galaxy II, Louisville City, New York Red Bulls USL PRO, Oklahoma City Energy, Orange County Blues, Pittsburgh Riverhounds, Portland Timbers 2, Real Monarchs, Richmond Kickers, Rochester Rhinos, Sacramento Republic, Saint Louis FC, Seattle Sounders 2, Tulsa Roughnecks, Wilmington Hammerheads.

NASL (9): Atlanta Silverbacks, Carolina RailHawks, Fort Lauderdale Strikers, Indy Eleven, Jacksonville Armada, Minnesota United, New York Cosmos, San Antonio Scorpions, Tampa Bay Rowdies.

Can't wait for San Francisco City FC vs Burlingame Dragons...

Meier

Saw a rumor last week that said Hatem Ben Arfa may look to join MLS since it'll be a new season and he could probably play where he could not in leagues on the typical 14/15 calendar. Looks like L'Equipe is saying he's negotiating with NYCFC. That'd be an interesting signing even if he's a dick with a questionable attitude. He's a very talented dick.

So what's going on with the strike stuff / wage wars? Is the league actually in danger this year?
It's a little unclear where things stand at the moment, but the rumors indicate that they're very hung up on free agency right now. Players sound willing to strike, but that might be posturing. Hopefully some progress is made soon.

Osorio

We're playing a doubleheader of scrimmages today.

First against TFC which we seem to be winning.

Then against Jacksonville

Arials

Only one player that has been linked and training with the club.. Shay Facey. He's a very solid defensive prospect. Supposedly he was just regaining fitness with NYCFC though and isn't actually expected to go on loan. As is, no one has been announced.. unsure if they will be able to loan players now that the transfer window is closed. You can do "youth loans" in England outside the transfer windows but they're not for a full-season necessarily.

Shay Facey has been named on the U21 list for Man City's Champions League squad today, so looks like they expect him back if he isn't back already.

I think for loans/transfers they can go through as long as the window of the league the player is moving to is open. The youth loan system is an internal England thing.

Meier

Shay Facey has been named on the U21 list for Man City's Champions League squad today, so looks like they expect him back if he isn't back already.

I think for loans/transfers they can go through as long as the window of the league the player is moving to is open. The youth loan system is an internal England thing.

Our squad list also had Nastasic, Evans and a few others who are out on season-long loans elsewhere, so there is still a chance he could go out to NYC. I guess we'll see. It'd be nice if Iheanacho got a chance -- he's supposed to be healthy by March and if he doesn't go right into City's first team then this would be a good option.

Johannsson scored again today for AZ.. looking like it'll be the winner over Ajax. PSV is going to walk to the title.

- Steven Goff: MLS labor talks remain ‘very far apart’
With the MLS regular season scheduled to begin in four weeks, the sides in labor negotiations remain “very far apart” on pivotal issues such as free agency, a source familiar with the talks told the Insider on Thursday.

Representatives from the players’ union and the league addressed a variety of topics during two days of negotiations this week in Washington. The previous collective bargaining agreement expired Jan. 31.

Training camps have proceeded as scheduled and D.C. United and the Montreal Impact are expected to compete in their respective CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals this month without interruption. But the failure to reach an accord by early March would jeopardize the scheduled start of MLS’s 20th season.

The first regular season match is set for March 6, with the Chicago Fire facing the Los Angeles Galaxy at StubHub Center in Carson, Calif.

Bob Foose, the union’s executive director, confirmed the sides met but declined to comment about the status of negotiations. Two players from the Galaxy, in town for a White House ceremony Monday honoring the 2014 MLS Cup championship, attended a session. Commissioner Don Garber was also in Washington for the event with President Obama but returned to New York on Monday night.

Other league officials, including deputy commissioner Mark Abbott, did not immediately reply to messages seeking comment.

“Not much progress” is the way one source described the talks. The sides are “grinding through smaller issues and some legal language” but “remain very far apart” on the major sticking points, free agency and compensation.

In 2010, the sides agreed to terms on a new CBA just five days before the season openers. Free agency was not on the table, however, and the divide this time seems wider.

In recent weeks, many players have said the union is resolute in fighting for some form of free agency.

Without a deal, the league has not set roster sizes or the salary cap, leaving coaches and general managers unsure how many players to sign.

Hmmm, my MLS Live subscription auto renews next week. Wonder if I should stick with it. I didn't use it much last season since the Quakes were terribad.

ZZMitch

Hmmm, my MLS Live subscription auto renews next week. Wonder if I should stick with it. I didn't use it much last season since the Quakes were terribad.

I'm sticking with mine! Its always fun to turn on a game and have it in the background when I'm studying or something. I am especially excited for this season cuz almost every team has something interesting going on with them that makes me want to watch.

Nesotenso

ok how does MLS live going to work with espn 3? Are matches still going to be streamed there if it is not within your broadcast area?

That TFC shirt looks so sad without a sponsor :( Looks very... plain.

Also, oooo, black stripes this time around, a first on their primary, I believe.

I'll reserve judgment on it until I see a better quality picture.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That TFC shirt looks so sad without a sponsor :( Looks very... plain.

Also, oooo, black stripes this time around, a first on their primary, I believe.

I'll reserve judgment on it until I see a better quality picture.

I like it, put the right sponsor on and it'd look pretty good.

The NYCFC one looks exactly like the ManCity jersey, down to the damn sponsor. It's like they just put it in a photocopier.

Red Bull needs to sell already so I can make the billion or so NYCFC jokes I'm sitting on. It just feels wrong when most of them also apply to us...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

xbhaskarx

Finally....

More:
Jurgen Klinsmann has a problem with the MLS season because he has his facts wrong
The current MLS offseason will last 89 days. The Premier League took a 97-day break this summer and La Liga's offseason lasted just as long. The Bundesliga took a whopping 104-day offseason and that doesn't even account for the one-month winter break they take.

Dan Dickinson ‏@GothamistDan
Weeks between end of regular season and start of the following preseason:
NFL: 31.6
NBA: 24.4
NHL: 23
MLB: 20.7
MLS: 12.6

Philipp Lahm's quotes about Jurgen Klinsmann are relevant again
We practically only practiced fitness under Klinsmann. There was very little technical instruction and the players had to get together independently before the game to discuss how we wanted to play.
All the players knew after about eight weeks that it was not going to work out with Klinsmann. The remainder of that campaign was nothing but limiting the damage.

Alexi Lalas @AlexiLalas
Promised myself I wouldn’t let @J_Klinsmann’s #USMNT “fitness” comments rile me up. I broke my promise.
http://www.foxsports.com/video?vid=393828419635

Matthew Tomaszewicz @shinguardian
Superb job by @AlexiLalas on Klinsmann, but almost bigger props to @stuholden on speaking his mind while still in the player pool.

Matthew Tomaszewicz @shinguardian
When I hear Klinsmann's comments this week I can't help but think about Felix Magath at Fulham.

LeanderAlphabet ‏@LeanderAlphabet
@shinguardian Had that same thought.

xbhaskarx

Who's more outraged about Klinsi's comments? The players he talks about or the commentators surrounding them?

What do you expect active players to say about a coach who controls their national team future and has four years remaining on his contract?

Jozy Altidore once tweeted (since deleted) "Love when people try to blame others for their own short comings and incompetence." and was subsequently dropped from the team for a pair of World Cup qualifiers, replaced by Alan Gordon...

Meier

I am assuming this calculation is based on someone going through the playoffs up until the final game. JK's point was only a select few of them go through the playoffs that late -- many are done in maybe early to mid November. Generally speaking, players get about 5 (maybe 6) weeks off in the UK before they're back in training. If there's a summer tournament, you probably get 3-4. If an MLS team doesn't make the playoffs and the player is done the last week of October but your team isn't back in training until late January/Early February, there's obviously some reason for concern. That is a very big lay off. He's saying you need to be back training full time, on your own after that 5-6 week period that the rest of the world gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom