• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
You guys are going to bust a nut over this lmao

0QumfvEh.jpg

How is this team a thing

Osorio

NYC is such a joke. I wouldn't bet that they don't have 12,000 season ticket holders or whatever but I've yet to meet anyone who is a fan of theirs.

Then again, I've avoided going to the city lately. Perhaps Jersey will be pro-Metro.

xbhaskarx

I'm a big Dilly Duka fan, I really wanted the Earthquakes and their nonexistent midfield to pick him up last season when Chicago didn't play him and then basically gave him away to Montreal. He could have three goals tonight...

This Montreal team looks average even within the standards of MLS

Average? They finished 19/19 teams last season. An who would you pick to finish below Montreal in 2015 as of right now? Their team is basically Piatti (when healthy) + Ciman.

Edit: Pachuca goal makes it 2-1.

xbhaskarx

Sky Sports wins rights to broadcast Major League Soccer

Sky Sports has won the rights to broadcast exclusively live Major League Soccer (MLS) from the US for the first time.

The agreement follows the announcement of the new deal to show even more live Premier League matches and further strengthens Sky’s position as the home of sport.

The four-year MLS deal begins in March, bringing an even wider range of coverage to Sky Sports viewers. With former England captain Steven Gerrard announcing he will sign for LA Galaxy in July, and Frank Lampard set to join New York City this summer, Sky Sports will be the only place to follow the fortunes of two Premier League legends in the US.

why does even Keane look shopped when he wears that jersey regularly in real life...

GRW810

Great news about MLS on Sky Sports. Will make watching MLS even easier for us UK fans, at long last. I don't have Sky Sports at the moment, way too expensive, but hopefully I can subscribe one day soon.

Don't even bother reading the replies to Sky Sports' tweets about the announcement; my fellow Englishmen are absolute morons.

Blue Lou

Great news about MLS on Sky Sports. Will make watching MLS even easier for us UK fans, at long last. I don't have Sky Sports at the moment, way too expensive, but hopefully I can subscribe one day soon.

Don't even bother reading the replies to Sky Sports' tweets about the announcement; my fellow Englishmen are absolute morons.

I don't think Sky Sports would know what to do with themselves without Steven Gerrard being on air. A similar thing happened when Beckham moved over there, Channel 5 bought the rights to MLS games but unfortunately hired Tim Lovejoy as the presenter.

Arials

BT was regularly showing games last season and is cheaper than Sky...

I don't think Sky Sports would know what to do with themselves without Steven Gerrard being on air.

This is Sky Sports categorically failing to get over losing Gerrard and Lampard from their Premier League coverage. More air time to fill now they've lost their Champions League rights too.

I thought this was funny with the whole sky sports news

Dan Dickinson ‏@GothamistDan 3h3 hours ago
Likely wasn’t intentional, but announcing a new (presumably) lucrative TV deal in the middle of CBA negotiations is the most MLS thing ever.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm legit surprised that nobody seems to be apprehensive about a work stoppage.....

If the federal mediator shows up and there's still no movement then I'd be worried. As the season gets closer each side's position will weaken and they'll have to come to some kind of an agreement.

xbhaskarx

I'm legit surprised that nobody seems to be apprehensive about a work stoppage.....

MLS players union votes to authorize strike

Earlier yesterday, Toronto defender Nick Garcia was quoted by the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. as saying: "We're anticipating not having the season starting . . . As of now, for us, we're very far apart, even with the mediator there in D.C."

Unhappy with the single-entity structure that has seen the league negotiate all contracts since play began in 1996, players want greater free-agent rights and a higher percentage of guaranteed deals.

Posted: March 12, 2010

I'll worry about it once we actually miss a game...

Blue Lou

If the players strike, is it just MLS they won't play in or will they abstain from domestic cups, continental and international tournaments too?

If the players strike, is it just MLS they won't play in or will they abstain from domestic cups, continental and international tournaments too?

One would hope they wouldn't be stupid enough to exit the Champions League on purpose. I would also hope the contract states that since the tournament began in 2014 its in effect for the duration of the cup.

What happened to FootballGAF?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=996929

Judderman

drawer by drawer
MZVOdKJ.jpg

So they're teasing the home jersey on Twitter. This is their nod to the Metrostars, black and red stripes on the inside of the jersey collar that no one will ever see. Fucking cunts.

Dartastic

At the Vancouver Stabaek game. Vancouver is up 3-0 at the half. Ouch. I hope to see a better showing from the Timbers later tonight too.

Osorio

The New York Red Bulls announced today the addition of former MLS and U.S. Men's National Team player Chris Armas to the coaching staff. Armas will serve as an assistant to Red Bulls Head Coach Jesse Marsch.

"Chris is a man I know well, and that I grew up with in this league," said Marsch. "He sees and understands the game at a high level. I think his experiences as a player are invaluable, and his attitude towards competition and style of play are in-line with the environment we are building here."

Armas, a Brooklyn native, was drafted by the Los Angeles Galaxy in the inaugural MLS draft in 1996 after two professional seasons with the Long Island Rough Riders of the USISL.

After two seasons with the Galaxy, Armas was traded to the Chicago Fire ahead of their inaugural 1998 campaign, the same offseason the club acquired Marsch. Armas played a large role in the Fire's storied run to the 1998 MLS Cup and U.S. Open Cup double in their first season. Armas was named to the MLS Best XI for four straight seasons from 1998 through 2001 before seeing his streak broken by an ACL injury that caused him to miss much of the 2002 campaign. He bounced back in 2003, being named MLS Comeback Player of the Year and MLS Best XI for the fifth time. Armas is one of just four players to earn Best XI distinction five times, second only to Landon Donovan's seven Best XI selections.

"Chris knows what it takes to win in this league," said conceited Red Bulls Sporting Director Ali Curtis, "but more importantly, he understands how to take everything he's learned in his career and transfer that knowledge to develop players and maximize their potential. We believe he'll fit well with our group given his acumen, experience and work ethic. We are elated that we are able to strengthen the club with the addition of Chris."

Armas played in 264 MLS regular season games, 260 of which were starts, recording 12 goals and 48 assists. Appearing in 37 playoff games, Armas found a bulk of his success with Marsch at the Fire, winning four Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup titles and an MLS Supporter's Shield in addition to the 1998 MLS Cup. Captaining the side from 2003-2007, he was named an MLS All-Star six times and was voted team MVP in 2003.

He was also named U.S. Soccer's Male Athlete of the Year in 2000. After the Fire's double-winning campaign in 1998 Armas became a regular for the U.S. Men's National Team, cracking the lineup just after the 1998 World Cup. He was part of the FIFA Gold Cup squads in 2002 and 2005, and was initially named to the 23-man roster for the 2002 World Cup in Japan before suffering an injury in a friendly leading up to the tournament. In all, Armas earned 66 caps for the United States.

Armas retired at the end of the 2007 season after 12 years in MLS. He served the following season as an assistant coach for the Fire under current Red Bulls assistant Denis Hamlett. Since then, he has returned to the New York area with his family, most recently serving as head coach of the women's varsity team at Adelphi University on Long Island. Armas led the program to back-to-back conference title game appearances in the NE-10, and reached the ECAC Championship in 2014.

Our coaching staff is now stacked with former Chicago players.

Osorio

MZVOdKJ.jpg

So they're teasing the home jersey on Twitter. This is their nod to the Metrostars, black and red stripes on the inside of the jersey collar that no one will ever see. Fucking cunts.

Such a slap in the face. What difference would it make if it not there at all? None. Nobody is going to see that shit. They could've made the sleeves red and black. They could've put the logo on the jock tag. Nope, three stripes on the inside collar.

Askani

PV ain't playing no games.

http://www.thebluetestament.com/ said:
When Sporting Kansas City announced that Jorge Claros was no longer with the team this week, they used the nice, professional method. "Mutually agreed to part ways with midfielder Jorge Claros" does imply that he wanted to go somewhere else and Sporting KC concurred. That is the nice media/public relations friendly way to do it.

When Sporting KC manager Peter Vermes was asked about Claros wanting to go somewhere else after the match Wednesday night, he was a little more blunt in his assessment of the situation.

"It wasn't his choice, it was our choice," Vermes flatly stated.

"He didn't come into camp fit after being here for six months, knowing what we expect and just wasn't good enough," Vermes continued. "I'm not waiting around for somebody who couldn't figure out what we were trying to do so it was time for him to move because he wasn't the right fit for us."

Claros was pursued by Sporting Kansas City for at least a year before they were able to finally land him last season but the deal could never get done. When asked if it was a disappointment after pursuing the Honduran midfielder for so long, Vermes seemed to not care. "I had forgot about it until asked about it, once a guy is off the roster he is off the roster."

In what sounded like both a comment on the Claros termination and a message to players for the future, Vermes closed with one last warning. "It is up to them to understand what the expectations are here, what the standards are and if you aren't meeting them there's another guy to come in and take your place."

Link: http://www.thebluetestament.com/2015/2/26/8115931/claros-termination-was-vermes-choice

Askani

http://www.rslsoapbox.com/ said:
Real Salt Lake owner Dell Loy Hansen made a statement on the CBA negotiations that have plagued the offseason, and the highlight was undoubtedly his calling the desire for free agency a "go-nowhere conversation."

His statement from his interview on RSL-owned ESPN700, with specific focus on his discussion of free agency and the CBA negotiations, follows. He had plenty of other things to say, but these are probably the most notable.

I think there are some really fair offers that have come from the league. The perennial issue is that "we want free agency," but that can't exist where everyone's employed by the same employer.

How do you have free agency when you're going to go talk to yourself at the next employer? That's not going to change. That's a "go-nowhere" conversation. When you look at all the owners, they've all been in pro basketball, baseball, football, and that was the one thing they all vowed they'd never do is go through that again.

They've tried it twice, it's been defeated by the courts. It's just a foolish place to waste time. If that's still open, it's just foolish.

The rest, there's some great agreement everyone can reach, but every time I read "we're going to work on free agency," well, you know, that's one of those real waste-of-time conversations. I think everyone's very intense on it. I know that the league and the owners are seriously looking at that.​

Link: http://www.rslsoapbox.com/2015/2/26...n-on-free-agency-a-waste-of-time-conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom