• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

New owner Ronaldo unveils the new Fort Lauderdale Strikers jersey

ronaldo-fort-lauderdale-strikers.jpg

So much worse than the ones they wore before

6990076397_c4e6e38813.jpg

Google image search also brought up this

Dartastic

The backup for our starter went down with an ACL injury. Fuck.

I don't know if anyone else watched the Timbers game tonight, but it was an absolute disaster. The refs lost control early. We are lucky more players weren't injured.

Askani

Full article at link: http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...acking-down-from-cba-positions-on-free-agency

ESPNFC.com said:
MLS, players union not backing down from CBA positions on free agency

With less than two weeks remaining until the start of the MLS regular season, neither MLS nor the MLS Players Union are backing down from their respective positions as it relates to negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement.

While the issue of player compensation -- both in terms of minimum salaries and the overall salary cap -- is still to be hashed out, free agency remains the main sticking point. MLSPU executive board member Dan Kennedy indicated that the union membership remains committed to gaining increases on all of these issues.

"I don't want to say [free agency] is priority No. 1 because there is so much that goes into a CBA," he said. "But certainly we feel as players that every other sports league in the world -- whether it's soccer or not -- enjoys a form of free agency, and we feel that we're at a level where we're playing in the same arena. We need those same rights. Certainly we feel free agency is up there with some [salary] budget issues being salary cap and minimum salary."

Kennedy added that the union has no intention of using free agency as a bargaining chip as a way to extract concessions in other areas, and that he sees salaries and free agency as being two separate issues. In other words, he doesn't anticipate a large increase in the salary budget as being enough for the union to give up on its quest for free agency.

"I don't think we can be bought on [free agency]," he said. "The players feel so strongly about it."

That will not stop the league from trying. A league source who asked not to be identified indicated that MLS and its owners remain staunchly opposed to any kind of internal free agency. In addition to controlling costs, there is a desire on the part of MLS to protect the single entity system upon which it is based. Instead, the source highlighted that MLS intends to offer the union significant increases in both the salary cap and minimum salaries.

"The league has been very clear, they're prepared to invest more money in the player pool," said the source. "We have every year, and we're prepared to do that now. This is very different than any other sports league. All of their CBAs were about cutting back compensation. Ours is about investing more."

That approach could be interpreted as a way of trying to split the union, especially given that free agency figures to impact just a fraction of the union membership every year. Kennedy insisted the union remains unified.

What exactly is free agency and why is it such a big deal? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm just getting into MLS and I'm not sure how it the league works at the minute.

Free agency is the freedom of player movement when out of contract. Think of like the other NA sports where players can field contract offers and talk with multiple teams about the possibility of signing with that team.

MLS at the moment is a single-entity structure, where all players have contracts with the league, and not specifically each individual team. At almost all times some team has the rights over each player, and if they want to move between teams in MLS, they need to be either traded within the league, or be out of contract and be subject to a re-entry draft, or some other arbitrary allocation rule MLS/Garber thinks up on the spot.

It's still the early stages of the league; the league was to keep as much control of its players as possible, while the players want more flexibility.

infi

Free agency is the freedom of player movement when out of contract. Think of like the other NA sports where players can field contract offers and talk with multiple teams about the possibility of signing with that team.

MLS at the moment is a single-entity structure, where all players have contracts with the league, and not specifically each individual team. At almost all times some team has the rights over each player, and if they want to move between teams in MLS, they need to be either traded within the league, or be out of contract and be subject to a re-entry draft, or some other arbitrary allocation rule MLS/Garber thinks up on the spot.

It's still the early stages of the league; the league was to keep as much control of its players as possible, while the players want more flexibility.

Thanks for this, I'm used to football in England where the clubs own the contracts. I'm assuming that because the players can only sign with the league and not the club this would affect the players negotiating power so I can see why they are unhappy.

xbhaskarx

U17 MNT roster for CONCACAF Championship

The U.S. U17 Men’s National Team is headed to Honduras for the 2015 CONCACAF Championship. The U.S. begins group kicks off play against Cuba on Friday at 6 p.m. (ET), which can be seen live on Fox Sports 2.

On Sunday night, the players found out who made the 20-man traveling roster. A source close to the program provided TopDrawerSoccer with a look at the roster, which includes eight players from Southern California.
Goalkeepers (2): William Pulisic (Richmond United), Kevin Silva (PDA)

Defenders (7): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls), Hugo Arellano (LA Galaxy), Daniel Barbir (West Bromwich Albion), Tanner Dieterich (Real Salt Lake –AZ), John Nelson (Internationals SC), Matthew Olosunde (New York Red Bulls), Alexis Velela (San Diego Surf)

Midfielders (5): Eric Calvillo (Real So Cal), Luca de la Torre (Fulham FC), Thomas McCabe (PDA), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Alejandro Zendejas (FC Dallas)

Forwards (6): Pierre da Silva (Orlando City SC), Orrin Gaines (Lonestar SC), Joe Gallardo (Monterrey), Joshua Perez (Unattached), Brandon Vazquez (Club Tijuana), Haji Wright (Unattached)

The good news is it includes all the kids in Europe (Barbir, de la Torre, Pulisic, Perez, Wright)...

The big new addition is Brandon Vazquez, who had previously played for Mexico's U-17s... he had 3 goals and an assist in their 4-0 win over Bermuda's U-18s yesterday.

Clydefrog

so what jerseys do you guys personally own? I only have these two
vOxfRB4.jpg

Tottenham Berbatov
Tottenham Modric
Blank USMNT current away jersey
Blank Brazil home jersey
Blank St. Pauli jersey
Barca t-shirt...

+ like a billion of my own jerseys at my parents house when I used to play up until college

ZZMitch

I own:

USMNT Blue with white stripe (2010 world cup?)
USMNT white polo (current home jersey)
Manchester United: Chicarito
Arsenal
New England Revolution

Osorio

I own:

El Salvador 2012 home
Metrostars '96 Home
Palestino away
C.D. Aguila third kit
St. Pauli 2010 I believe home
St. Mirren home
RBNY 2006 (want to burn)

Osorio

I also have a pretty large bootleg collection. I sometimes enjoy bootlegs more because of the lack of sponsor and the little design touches that are made.

xbhaskarx

Apparently there's a waiver draft tomorrow that 's basically former Chicago players...

Six players to be made available in Tuesday's MLS Waiver Draft

Major League Soccer will conduct a Waiver Draft on Tuesday for six players.

Former Toronto FC and Chicago Fire forward Robert Earnshaw, Colorado Rapids goalkeeper Joe Nasco, Fire defender Marco Franco, Fire midfielder Victor Pineda, Fire midfielder Grant Ward and Philadelphia Union forward Aaron Wheeler will all be available for selection.

The draft will take place via a 3 pm ET conference call.

Here is the draft order:

1. Chicago
2. Houston
3. Toronto FC
4. Philadelphia
5. Portland
18. Montreal (Nigel Reo-Coker – Dec. 10, 2014 Waiver Draft)
19. San Jose (Leandro Barrera – Dec. 10, 2014 Waiver Draft)
20. Colorado (Bobby Burling – Dec. 10, 2014 Waiver Draft)

Note: A team that selects a player in a Waiver Draft goes to the bottom of the order for the following Waiver Draft.

Heh, mine are all over the place.

TFC 2007-08 red
TFC 2013-14 red
TFC 2010-11 white
TFC 2009 grey

2013 MLS All-Star jersey, personalized

England
Argentina
New Zealand (Nelsen #6)
Marseille (argyle)

Had Liverpool, Inter and another white TFC one but gave those to a younger brother.

Miiiight get this year's TFC red jersey, we'll see.

New England Revolution 2013 Home - Diego Fagundez
New England Revolution Practice Jersey (don't know what year but it's probably early 00's - it's white)
USMNT 2010 Away
USMNT 2010 Third
USMNT Centennial
USMNT 2014 Home
USMNT 2014 Away

So moving away from jersey talk...

The best MLS teams kick into high gear tomorrow as 5th seed Pachuca hosts Montreal.

Thursday, number 1 seed DC United flies to 8th seed Alajuelense.

Wednesday its Saprissa vs America and Olimpia vs Herediano

Predictions:

Pachuca 4 - 1 Montreal
Alajuelense 3 - 1 DC United

AJ Soares lands at Norwegian club Viking on deal through summer 2016

Leaving MLS for Hellas Verona would have made sense, but when that falls apart why not come back here instead of going to some mediocre team in Norway...

Soares is a local boy, so I hope it works out for him. But yes I agree that I would have also preferred if he held out for a better destination than a mid-level Norwegian team. My guess is that he's going to try to parlay that into trials with better European clubs. But it does hurt the perceived market value of our MLS players when a league finalist ends up going to Norway...

As for Jerseys, the few that have which haven't been lost or stolen:

Nigeria '98
Jamaica '98 (Uniform still looks great today, I always get comments when I wear it)
Several LA Galaxy '12 2nd string actual player jerseys that they were selling for charity before the game at the Home Depot center.
Actual Red Bull training warm-ups and practice jersey '13. (My friend's boyfriend played on the team and gave me a bunch of gear)

Askani

Jorge Claros and James Marcelin, midfielders, are out at SKC. We tracked Claros for like 2 years and he played 1/2 a season. We signed just Marcelin in December and we've already waived him. This opens up two international roster spots now. Then with Robb's tweet from last week, people are speculating who we're after.

Robb Heineman @RobbHeineman · Feb 19
Trips 2 frankfurt and milan in the works next week? Who might we be interested in there?​

xbhaskarx

WSJ: U.S. Soccer’s Expansion Boom
Beyond Major League Soccer, there is explosive growth in the lower rungs of American professional soccer

The second-tier North American Soccer League, which added two teams last year, will add another in 2015, bringing it to 11. The USL, after launching four teams in 2014, will add 13 this year, raising its total to 24. Additional new teams are expected next year in both leagues, which are entering their fifth seasons.
The NASL is targeting 18 teams by about 2018, according to Peterson. “We are growing quickly,” he said. “I don’t think it’s too quickly.” The USL, meanwhile, could have as many as 40 teams by the end of the decade, said president Tim Holt.
Fans, as measured by league attendance figures, are responding. Aided by the expansion Indy Eleven, which drew more than 10,000 fans a game last year, the NASL averaged 5,500, its most in its four seasons. Average USL attendance, at about 3,100 a game, was also its highest in four years.

80+ pro teams by the end of the decade?

xbhaskarx

City Bound: New York Red Bulls II will play at Columbia University

According to Columbia University’s Associate Director for Facility Operations and Capital Projects Erich Ely, Baker Athletic Complex will play host to NYRBII during the latter half of the USL season.

“We will be hosting several USL Pro games,” Ely tells EOS in a statement.

Which matches exactly were not specified.

If the response seems ambiguous, it is; the Red Bulls and Columbia University are finalizing the remaining details of their stadium agreement. However, one source tells us it is a “done deal,” and the Red Bulls should be announcing their plans shortly.

The Baker Athletic Complex is on the upper tip of Manhattan, bordering the Bronx. The 3,100 seat stadium lies mere blocks from the 215th street station where the 1 train will serve to transport fans.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom