• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

I'd like 2 things to change in the MLS:

- Higher base/minimum salary.

Not $600,000 like the NHL (the 'smallest' of the big 4 NA pro leagues), but something like $60,000 or $80,000. At least make it so that these guys don't have to work off-season jobs to have a decent life and support a family.

- More DPs

6 per team.
Agreed on higher salary, agreed on more DPs. Not that many though. Only 1 more.

I'm also on the side of a form of limited free agency. I really liked this idea.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/mls-could-retain-single-entity-amp-offer-free-agency

xbhaskarx

Is Tampa Bay a candidate for future MLS expansion, or will they stay in NASL?

AR-131009552.jpg

Waterfront plan adds ideas for expanded stadium, hotel, conference center

Tampa Bay Rowdies owner Bill Edwards wants to more than double the capacity of Al Lang Stadium to 18,000 seats — enough for a Major League Soccer franchise.

Take a tour of the Al Lang Stadium renovations with Tampa Bay Rowdies owner

I leave this thread for two days and what the hell happened? Sorry to hear about Footie GAF's thread but please don't nuke this one.

Sounds like there are some people who genuinely want to start following MLS. WELCOME! If you are looking for a club to follow I'd recommend anyone but the Chicago Fire 6-18-10 last year, an unbearable amount of draws to sit through.

I'll join the GAF fantasy league (if one has been created) tonight once I have a chance to conjur up a team. I need to have a bounce back year and get my title belt back.

xbhaskarx

I'll join the GAF fantasy league (if one has been created) tonight once I have a chance to conjur up a team. I need to have a bounce back year and get my title belt back.

Did you create the league last year? Whoever did can renew it. Barring that, here's the info for the new one I started:

http://fantasy.mlssoccer.com/a/leagues/create-join
Join a league... private... classic
NeoGAF
Code to join this league: 1498-584

Did you create the league last year? Whoever did can renew it. Barring that, here's the info for the new one I started:

NeoGAF

Joined up. I feel like the first few weeks will be a crap shoot, not sure who is a bargain that will actually get starts.

I know as the season went on last year a few people mentioned they were interested in a head to head league. I'm not terribly keen on managing two clubs but I think it would bring additional fantasy talk to the thread. I want to do the classic league but if enough other people are down for head to head I'll jump on board that as well.

Dartastic

NeoGAF
Never done this before, not sure how it works, joining now. Haha. LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING SLAUGHTERED.

Starting lineup (I guess not by position because fantasy doesn't care...) Rimando, Leonardo, Borchers, Wingert, Shea, Nagbe, Kobayashi, Kaka, Fagundez, Villa, Urruti.

ATF487

Damnit, forgot to cancel MLS live before it renewed. Ah well, maybe I'll watch more games with it this year since the Revs should be decent again.

xbhaskarx

Chipotle

I don't really follow US soccer but hope it does well ad am always interested in which aging European stars move over.

I've got a couple of questions related to the latter: does the drawing of star power create much tension for the clubs? Must mean quite a lot of pressure on wages but does it also get in the way of the development of teams at all (alternatively, how does it help?)? And, who are the raging European stars that people are looking forward to moving over?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So NYRB beat OKC Energy FC 1-0, BWP got a pretty decent assist on the only goal. I know it's only preseason but I feel like he may wind up doing a lot of damage this season, if we're lucky he may repeat his hot streak from last season.

I don't really follow US soccer but hope it does well ad am always interested in which aging European stars move over.

I've got a couple of questions related to the latter: does the drawing of star power create much tension for the clubs? Must mean quite a lot of pressure on wages but does it also get in the way of the development of teams at all (alternatively, how does it help?)? And, who are the raging European stars that people are looking forward to moving over?

It's not only old guys coming over anymore, unless Giovinco is old. If he can stay in the picture on his national team it'll be good press for MLS in other leagues, it'll make it a real option. And as the level of play and pay goes up we'll start seeing more younger guys making the move.

Most of the stars from Europe are DP's, so it doesn't affect the salary cap much for each team.

Chipotle

So NYRB beat OKC Energy FC 1-0, BWP got a pretty decent assist on the only goal. I know it's only preseason but I feel like he may wind up doing a lot of damage this season, if we're lucky he may repeat his hot streak from last season.

It's not only old guys coming over anymore, unless Giovinco is old. If he can stay in the picture on his national team it'll be good press for MLS in other leagues, it'll make it a real option. And as the level of play and pay goes up we'll start seeing more younger guys making the move.

Most of the stars from Europe are DP's, so it doesn't affect the salary cap much for each team.

Yeah, sorry. Probably sounded a bit dismissive (though that's definitely the perception in Europe I think). What's a DP? I have to admit I find the ways that US sports work pretty alien

Yeah, sorry. Probably sounded a bit dismissive (though that's definitely the perception in Europe I think). What's a DP? I have to admit I find the ways that US sports work pretty alien

"Designated Player" each MLS club is allowed three DPs whose salaries don't count against their salary cap, a limit on how much money can be spent on a team's roster.

Chipotle

"Designated Player" each MLS club is allowed three DPs whose salaries don't count against their salary cap, a limit on how much money can be spent on a team's roster.

Does the club pay them or the league? If the former then is it not still an issue for poorer teams?

Apologies for my ignorance of how it all works, money's a massive issue in the English Premier League (and mores in the lower leagues) so perhaps I'm thinking too much of that.

EDIT: is there a beginners' guide to how the finances work? I guess that would clear things up

EDIT 2: Is the Designated Players thing something that's seen as being transitory while the league gets bigger or is that the norm?

Does the club pay them or the league? If the former then is it not still an issue for poorer teams?

Apologies for my ignorance of how it all works, money's a massive issue in the English Premier League (and mores in the lower leagues) so perhaps I'm thinking too much of that.

DP's salaries are paid for by the league up to a certain amount. Like 400k I think. Everything else has to be picked up by the club.

Chipotle

DP's salaries are paid for by the league up to a certain amount. Like 400k I think. Everything else has to be picked up by the club.

Ah, cool. Think I get it but a couple more questions from my edits:

EDIT: is there a beginners' guide to how the finances work? I guess that would clear things up

EDIT 2: Is the Designated Players thing something that's seen as being transitory while the league gets bigger or is that the norm?

Ah, cool. Think I get it but a couple more questions from my edits:

1) See The Culture Vulture's link for more on the DP thing. Other than that the league is a little too opaque about how the whole money thing works in the league and how player movement is handled to the point of frustration. There's the salary cap, there's Designated players, there's allocation money and allocation order. It's a bit of a mess and the league appears to make it up as they go sometimes.

2) I think the league sees it as a kind of stopgap measure but it isn't going to go away any time soon. The salary cap for each team is $3.1 million so I think until that cap goes up to a certain level where they deem it unnecessary the rule is here to stay.

Chipotle

Thanks guys, aside from the details (which I have tabs open to look up now) I think there's something really interesting in seeing the development of a league in the US culturally (if that's not a shit term). Here in England there's a lot of regional and local rivalries and a distrust of teams (Chelsea, Manchester City) who have come up with the boom in money around football that's come about in the last couple of decades. I guess things are at a point where most supporters in the US support their local team (though that means something very different than in Britain where your local team is probably within a few miles).

Not sure how much sense that makes but it's fascinating to see a league grow up where here it's more of a fact of life and everyday conversation (like, I guess if you start a new job "what soccer team do you follow?" is nowhere near a normal icebreaker)

LA Times sportswriter Kevin Baxter ‏@kbaxter11
Worse-kept secret in MLS is apparently out of the bag LAFC stadium will be in Exposition Park at the Sports Arena site. No comment from team

LAFC stadium renderings

Edit: apparently this design wasn't chosen, which is why the studio put it out.

This may put some real pressure on the LA Galaxy, it's only 10 miles from the Stubhub Center, close to downtown LA and accessible via mass transportation...
Loving that club name.,

Osorio

Not sure how much sense that makes but it's fascinating to see a league grow up where here it's more of a fact of life and everyday conversation (like, I guess if you start a new job "what soccer team do you follow?" is nowhere near a normal icebreaker)

It's been that way for me for a while but most of my co-workers don't follow mls. With cable or satellite television they don't need to. So at my job I work with a fan of Puebla, Atletico Junior, Firpo, Barcelona (Guayaquil), and Deportivo FAS.

I'm the only US citizen and MLS fan. They just don't see a reason yet to convert. That goes to show the potential the league can grow into

cafemomo

I love watching the friendlies between MLS and the EU teams.

Up next for Chicago Fire is some Norwegian team called Stabaek on the 22nd

They should expand these friendlies out to the Asian leagues such as the J-League and CSL

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I love watching the friendlies between MLS and the EU teams.

Up next for Chicago Fire is some Norwegian team called Stabaek on the 22nd

They should expand these friendlies out to the Asian leagues such as the J-League and CSL

Isn't Bob Bradley still coaching Stabaek?

cafemomo

Isn't Bob Bradley still coaching Stabaek?

He is? Haven't heard from him ever since he got sacked from Egypt's national team.

fake edit - yeah he is.

3 more friendlies til the season starts again. Hopefully the Fire will make it to the semifinals at least.
lol that ain't gonna happen

Esch

Banned
Wow. And they seem proud of it too. Goddamn.

Why not a red jersey with a blue river going vertically down the heart and a green collar?

When it first got announced I saw the shop had something that looked like this in the banner which is 100% awesome and cool and good

But I guess they had some other plans.

p6o6xh5ueuaud3gs.jpg

ZZMitch

Lol do any of you guys follow MLS on Snapchat? Amobi Okugo asked Brek Shea to say something and Brek was like "I'm super excited to play Man City on March 8th should be a good challenge." Im surprised MLS didn't try to nuke that from orbit haha

xbhaskarx

Lots of strange soccer stadium news coming out of Florida...

Major League Soccer site scores

push to build a Major League Soccer stadium beside the Marlins baseball stadium has sailed past county officials, but a plan to create a Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) encompassing the stadiums wasn’t well-received.

The county’s Economic Prosperity Committee voted last week for the county to negotiate for an MLS stadium to rise next to Marlins Park in Little Havana. That’s headed for a commission vote.

It’s “another invitation and another good message sent to Mr. Beckham that Miami-Dade County is ready for soccer, and we welcome his money and his investment,” said Commissioner Rebeca Sosa.
Like the FIU stadium news from a few weeks ago it doesn't seem like the Beckham group is actually pushing any of it...

Argentine Soccer Team Asks For Approval To Build Stadium In S.Fla.

A renowned club team from Argentina flew into South Florida to make a special request on Tuesday.

Members of the soccer team the Boca Juniors, recently named by FIFA as the club of the decade, was set to appear at North Miami Beach City hall Tuesday evening to ask for approval to build a $2.2 million soccer stadium.

The group would want to build the stadium at a park in the area, using the team’s money to fund the construction.

The move is part of the teams established franchise for the U.S.A that will start operating from the State of Florida, according to the group.

Osorio

Gotta love how our country is the main guinea pig for the globalized corporate interests of the modern game...

Then again, Garber will accept any check if the price is right.

xbhaskarx

The Boca Juniors thing clearly isn't MLS, the stadium will cost $2 million. Even if they don't have to pay for the land and there's already a park with existing infrastructure, is that even enough for a NASL stadium?
It has to be USL or maybe even just Boca Juniors doing their own thing...

xbhaskarx

American Exports: Ventura Alvarado's stock keeps surging with clean-sheet road win for Club America

Ventura Alvarado continued his integration as a firm starter for Club América on Sunday, putting in a solid shift for his team in its 1-0 victory over Mexico City rivals Pumas in Estadio Olímpico Universitario.

The 22-year-old played the full 90 minutes on the right side of three center backs and was given license to go forward by coach Gustavo Matosas, with Alvarado combining intelligently with wing back Paul Aguilar on a couple of occasions.

It was Alvarado’s fourth consecutive start and the Phoenix, Arizona native – uncapped at international level and eligible for both the United States and Mexico – has been gradually looking more confident each week.

The victory for reigning champion Club América lifted the side, at least temporarily, into first position in Liga MX, on 14 points from seven games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom