• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

To those with Besler and Taylor peay on the bench... Those dudes will probably never play an MLS game. They are good prospects but they probably won't see the field this year. So just sayin. :p

xbhaskarx

To those with Besler and Taylor peay on the bench... Those dudes will probably never play an MLS game. They are good prospects but they probably won't see the field this year. So just sayin. :p

Under the new fantasy rules, players don't lose value if they don't play. So it may be safer to go with guys like that than those who play over 45 minutes and don't score enough points to keep their value. Last year prices changed based on people adding/dropping players, so it was completely different. I haven't really thought out the implications completely, and as of now I'm still picking players who have a chance to play for my own bench, because not doing so just seems odd...

ill play along this year, and will try to post in here more this MLS season when I'm not out at Union games

here's my squad

MLSfan15.jpg

Dartastic

Under the new fantasy rules, players don't lose value if they don't play. So it may be safer to go with guys like that than those who play over 45 minutes and don't score enough points to keep their value. Last year prices changed based on people adding/dropping players, so it was completely different. I haven't really thought out the implications completely, and as of now I'm still picking players who have a chance to play for my own bench, because not doing so just seems odd...
Didn't know that. Regardless, picking players who won't ever potentially see the field still seems odd. Honestly, I don't know if some of my players are that type. I was salary restrained. :p

Also, ActStriker. You have players on your bench that are better than your field players. What?

Arials

Crazy how little success Brazilians have had in MLS for the most part

...3 Brazilians in the LA Galaxy starting XI when they won the last MLS Cup.

I read recently that the average wage for players in Brazil is 3 times higher than for players in Argentina. That's probably the main reason there are so many Argentines in MLS compared to the number of Brazilians.

Tawpgun

Been thinking of getting into MLS.

Do I become a Galaxy fan because of Gerrard?

Or a Revs fan due to Boston allegience.

Probs revs

Dartastic

Well then support your local club, DUH.

I've supported Liverpool for many years, but there's no fucking way I'm going to support Gerrard when I see him wearing an LA Galaxy jersey. Having a local club and a local supporters group to be a part of is fucking awesome, and you should support them. It helps that they don't suck.

xbhaskarx

Power Rankings

MLS
1. LA Galaxy
2. New England Revolution
3. Seattle Sounders
4. Columbus Crew
5. Vancouver Whitecaps
6. FC Dallas
7. Toronto FC
8. Sporting Kansas City

ESPN
1. New England Revolution
2. Seattle Sounders
3. L.A. Galaxy
4. Sporting Kansas City
5. Columbus Crew
6. Toronto FC
7. D.C. United
8. Real Salt Lake

ATF487

Well then support your local club, DUH.

I've supported Liverpool for many years, but there's no fucking way I'm going to support Gerrard when I see him wearing an LA Galaxy jersey. Having a local club and a local supporters group to be a part of is fucking awesome, and you should support them. It helps that they don't suck.

This, I'm a Revs/Liverpool supporter. I won't boo Gerrard when he comes to Gillette but I will definitely ironically cheer whenever his Hollywood balls go out of play. That'll learn him

xbhaskarx

Fox Soccer Facebook MLS Fan Map

MLS Cup holders LA Galaxy are the favorite team in 15 states, more than any other team. In addition to their expected superiority in the Southwest, the Galaxy also performed well in the Southeast (a clean sweep from North Carolina through Louisiana) and the Upper Midwest (Michigan and Minnesota). The extent of their support largely stems from the inroads made during the David Beckham era.

Seattle finishes second in the rankings among American teams by placing first in seven states. Sounders FC earns top spot in Idaho, Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota in addition to their home state of Washington. Alaska and Hawaii both fell into the Rave Green column, too.

Canada is split along regional lines. Toronto FC dominates in the eastern half of the country and maintains support all the way through Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Vancouver picks up its support in Alberta and sustains its backing in its home province of British Columbia. Montréal -- oddly enough -- does not claim superiority in Quebec based on the available data.

Montréal is one of three teams omitted from the map entirely. Chivas USA and San Jose are also ruled out by the superiority of the Galaxy in California.

Support your local.
Power Rankings

MLS

ESPN
Quakes in at #19 on both of these. Good point in the MLSSoccer rankings, too:
Big issue for the Quakes is that so much of their talent is either not quite ready (Tommy Thompson, Mark Sherrod, JJ Koval) or on the wrong side of 30 (Wondo, Matias Perez-Garcia, Victor Bernardez, Clarence Goodson, Jordan Stewart).
The Quakes were awful last year, but we'll have to see how much of a bump they're going to get from a new coach and, more importantly, a new stadium. If they can remain (relatively) injury free, that'd be a big help, also.

Dartastic

Power Rankings

MLS

ESPN
I feel good about being lower in the power rankings. Last year at the start of the season we were too high, and well, we all know what happened last year.

I feel good about our depth too, so the next few months without Valeri and Johnson might be a non-issue. Last year our problem was our defense, not our offense and we fixed that. So as long as we don't have another horribly slow start, I feel very good about this team. At the end of last year we were in incredible form and we kept the core of the team stable. Johnson is back in a little over a month, Valeri in a little over two... we'll be okay. Hopefully Nagbe steps up and shows everyone how godlike he can be.

Tell that to all the LA Galaxy fans in Michigan!

I was just looking at that map up above and thinking about what it'll look like in a year or two with Orlando around now eating into SE Galaxy turf and maybe if they don't do as well this year (+ no more Landon or Beckham anymore).

I wonder if Minneapolis got a team how much of that Sounders/Galaxy/Fire turf would get eaten up.

Dartastic

Last year we scored 61 goals and gave up 52. The Sounders, who everyone has winning this year, scored 65 and gave up 50. That's not a massive gulf, and we made more improvements to our back 4 than Seattle did, IMO. I'm feeling ok.

I'm wed to TFC, sadly. Because they were the first Canadian team in the MLS, and because I'm from that part of the country.

Though now I'm geographically closer to Seattle and Vancouver.

This, I'm a Revs/Liverpool supporter. I won't boo Gerrard when he comes to Gillette but I will definitely ironically cheer whenever his Hollywood balls go out of play. That'll learn him

What about when he slips at an extremely inopportune moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom