• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

CCV vs Falcao

Carter-Vickers shines at Old Trafford
Matched up against Colombian star Radamel Falcao, 17-year-old Cameron Carter-Vickers helped Tottenham's U-21s hold Manchester United's U-21s to a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford.

The U.S. U-20 center back even came close to scoring the winner with a glancing near-post header that struck the crossbar. Carter-Vickers was the youngest player by more than eight months to start for Spurs. (One of Carter-Vickers' teammates was Grant Ward, who spent part of last season on loan to the Chicago Fire.)

Falcao was brought down to the U-21s along with Spanish keeper Victor Valdes and Brazilian defender Rafael.

Tottenham Under-21 boss Ugo Ehiogu had belief Cameron Carter-Vickers could shackle Radamel Falcao
Tottenham Hotspur Under-21 boss Ugo Ehiogu had no doubts 17-year-old defender Cameron Carter-Vickers would be capable of shacking Radamel Falcao in his side's clash with their Manchester United counterparts.
"You try not to expect too much but I always back Cameron and I had no issue with him being able to handle the situation," Ehiogu told Tottenham's official website.

"We have always had confidence in him and he isn't fazed by anything. It was United at Old Trafford, he was up against a world-class striker and his performance was a real testament to the lad. It all bodes well for the future."

I seriously believe we should cap him at the end of a game vs the Antigua equivalent in the first round of WC qualifying...

xbhaskarx

Julian Green ripped by German publication after Hamburg U-23 match
Following a 3-1 loss to St. Pauli’s youth team, Kicker wrote a story on the struggles of the side (which has lost six consecutive games) and mentioned Green. It wasn’t good.

“Julian Green made anything but a good impression,” Kicker wrote. “The 19-year-old played only back-passes and coasted at a jogging pace the entire match.” They wrote that his play left the team “outnumbered.”

xbhaskarx

The U-17s are playing Jamaica right now...

B_2ZyrDVAAIPvDI.png:large

GRW810

Why do you care what jerseys other people buy?
The same reason anyone posts anything on a forum: opinion.

It's my opinion you should only own the jersey of your own team. That may be right or wrong, but it's a legitimate enough view to not deserve snark and abrupt interrogation. I don't personally know anyone who would ever own another team's merch so it's a strange concept to me.

As a Red Bulls fan I wear a Red Bulls jersey, nothing else, ever. As a fellow Red Bull who I've spoken to on here in the past I thought you might have cut me some slack rather than snap at me for having the audacity to post.

Osorio

I can't bring myself to buy a jersey of another team in the league I follow the most. However, outside of that I guess it's free reign.

Just got a Pumas jersey. Getting a Universidad de Chile one to go with my Palestino jersey.

xbhaskarx

I'm not a Red Bulls fan, you must have me confused with someone else...

The same reason anyone posts anything on a forum: opinion.

Okay and it's my opinion that people should buy whatever they want to buy since this isn't North Korea.

to not deserve snark and abrupt interrogation.

rather than snap at me for having the audacity to post.

No one is snapping at you or telling you that you can't post, and if anything you were the one interrogating both Rafa and Delicious Waffles about what soccer merchandise they choose to buy with their money... I was just asking why you care about what others choose to buy.

If you choose to only buy Red Bulls jerseys I fully support your right to not buy anything else. So enjoy your Red Bulls gear.

xbhaskarx

UniMas, ESPN2 and Fox Sports 1 score big TV ratings on MLS's opening weekend

All four opening weekend national TV games had strong ratings. Sunday’s inaugural match between expansion clubs Orlando City SC and New York City FC was the headliner, with ESPN2 averaging 539,000 viewers during the broadcast, over 100,000 more than any regular season match on the network last year.

Fox Sports 1 also put up solid numbers, averaging 268,000 viewers for Sunday’s 1-1 draw between Sporting Kansas City and the New York Red Bulls before drawing a 289,000 average in the Seattle Sounders-New England Revolution nightcap. Both games marked a huge improvement on NBCSN’s 2014 average of 141,000 viewers per broadcast.

UniMas’ broadcast of Friday’s season opener between the LA Galaxy and Chicago Fire put up even bigger numbers than Fox, drawing an average of 341,000 viewers for the 10 pm ET kick. The match – which included an English SAP option – outdrew NBCSN’s 2014 season opener and was the most-viewed MLS match ever among non-Hispanics on a Spanish-language network.

xbhaskarx

Haji Wright went from scoring more goals with the U-17s than anyone since Donovan to absolute crap...

Is William Pulisic related to Christian?

Yeah, they're cousins.

Hopefully this enough for Richie to finally get fired with the U17 national team.

We really shouldn't be in this situation considering the talent on the roster.

Or maybe Klinsmann will promote him instead (see Tab Ramos who is now youth technical director and an assistant coach with with the MNT).

I can't bring myself to buy a jersey of another team in the league I follow the most. However, outside of that I guess it's free reign.

Just got a Pumas jersey. Getting a Universidad de Chile one to go with my Palestino jersey.

This is how I feel as well. The only MLS jersey I own is a SJEQ one, since I support MLS the most. Outside of that, I have a AS Roma, France, Barca, Real Madrid, and a USMNT jersey.

GRW810

I'm not a Red Bulls fan, you must have me confused with someone else...
Shit, you know when you convince yourself of something and then it just becomes a fact to you? Thought you were a Red Bull fan this whole time. Well there you go.

This guy gets it.

I like to own multiple jerseys, especially if they're nice. However, I said I wanted Portland's alternate last year and never got it so who knows.

I do know I'll probably get a Dax one. I may go with the away jersey.
There are some great jerseys in MLS. The uniqueness of Seattle's green and Orlando's purple are very eye-catching. KC's is more simple but I absolutely love it; two shades of blue go really well.

Our new jersey is fantastic. The red sleeves look great, a refreshing change from previous iterations. Captain Dax is a good choice.

Esch

Banned
yeah generally speaking i just nab the jerseys of the teams i support and leave it there. not trying to fill up their opponents coffers so to speak.

Of course it's not like i haven't been tempted by some of the beautiful kits out there but c'est la vie

Meier

3 more days to get that pitch right!

They only need 3 days in general for the conversion so it's not a big deal. Just typical NY media kicking up a fuss for nothing -- the grass looks rough due to the shit weather NY has had. The baseball guys being concerned a bit isn't surprising though.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
That's the way the grass looked for the Red Bulls home opener last season. Obviously, it got better as the weather got better.

RBA didn't look that bad for the home opener last year. It wasn't the best looking field, but it didn't look like that. Maybe the baseball diamond just amplifies how ugly it looks.

RBA didn't look that bad for the home opener last year. It wasn't the best looking field, but it didn't look like that. Maybe the baseball diamond just amplifies how ugly it looks.

I remember it looking like that. Went back to watch highlights vs. Colorado and it was just the South Ward goal that looked like that. Not the whole field. My mistake.

A bit off topic since this is about american soccer. But will there be no OT's about world cup 2018 qualification matches? Which supposedly started today.

Well, my tickets were already ordered, but now I know who I get to see. Honduras or French Guyana. Whoops, Panama.

I think McCarthy was wrong

or not?

wtf, people going back and forth

People are apparently confused about schedules before tweeting them out. I think i have the right one.

Blue Lou

This is a large image (0.5mb) with all of the CONCACAFGold Cup fixtures listed: http://i.imgur.com/7h62DHq.gif

I watched some of the press conference. The president of the NFL team hosting the final didn't even know which way up the cup should have been. He had it upside down. The Mayor of Philadelphia was talking up the city's chances of hosting NFL games instead of talking about the Gold Cup.

ZZMitch

Looks like I will have a chance to see the USMNT live for the first time! I will be home in Maine in July when the US plays Haiti at Gillette. I'll be getting tickets!

Waiting on presale info from the Union...

I watched some of the press conference. The president of the NFL team hosting the final didn't even know which way up the cup should have been. He had it upside down. The Mayor of Philadelphia was talking up the city's chances of hosting NFL games instead of talking about the Gold Cup.

That sounds about right. The city is an NFL town through and through with everyone else coming in a distant second, unless the baseball team is doing well.

Osorio

So those tickets at BMO are going to be snapped up pretty quick I'm guessing?

It' might be my only chance to see El Salvador in the tournament. They might play in a quarterfinal here or Baltimore, but even in that group they might not move on.

xbhaskarx

First American Soccer Now and then Northern Pitch reported Minnesota United was the frontrunner to get an MLS expansion team, now the Star Tribune is running the story:

Source: Bill McGuire group has MLS backing in expansion battle

The prospective ownership group headed by Bill McGuire has received a letter from Major League Soccer notifying them that they are the preferred group for a potential Minnesota franchise, according to a person with knowledge of the letter.

McGuire has been competing with the Wilf family, owners of the Vikings, for a MLS expansion team that is likely to begin play in 2018. McGuire’s group includes the Pohlad family, owners of the Twins, and Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor.

xbhaskarx

Northern Pitch:
Northern Pitch has also confirmed that team owner Dr. Bill McGuire recently secured an option to purchase a property on Royalston Avenue, adjacent to the Minneapolis Farmers Market and near Target Field, which has long been speculated to be the future stadium site.

This is probably the site between the farmer's market and Royalston ave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom