• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
- American Soccer Now: Klinsmann Roundtable: The Coach Had Plenty to Say
The United States men's national team coach met with a select group of reporters Wednesday to discuss players, fitness, and much more. ASN's Brian Sciaretta had a seat at the table and has lots to share.

Highlights:
GEDION ZELALEM

Klinsmann did not have any update on the situation regarding Zelalem’s clearance with FIFA—only that it was still pending. As for whether or not Zelalem would be shifted to either the U.S. U-20 or U.S. U-23 team should FIFA sign off on his request to play for the United States, Klinsmann did leave the door open for his participation with U.S. youth national teams.

Klinsmann said that Zelalem's first call-up, once eligible, will probably be with the full U.S. national team so that Klinsmann can observe first-hand how he fits into the environment. He also said that he thinks Zelalem can help the full team right now.

“Definitely, I would like to see him with me first,” Klinsmann said. “I want to see how he interacts with the group and what level he’s at. [After that], it’s totally in the open to have him play with the U-23s or with the U-20s for Tab. But he’s a special case. I think he’s already at a level where he can definitely play on the senior team.”
DUAL NATIONAL PLAYERS ON THE HORIZON

Klinsmann did not wish to disclose too much about the dual-national players he is seeking out since many of the situations are unsettled. He said that it was remarkable to see how many Americans currently live abroad.

“With Ventura Alvarado, we have a kid we have watched several times,” Klinsmann said. “William Yarbrough, the goalie at Club Leon, we like him a lot. We are in touch with these two. There are a couple of youngsters in Germany coming through with the possibilities to play for us. There is one kid in England.”
He also discusses fitness, Yedlin, Green, Brooks, and a few other things.

Osorio

Seriously. My interest in U.S. games have diminished tremendously the last few years. I'd go to games against teams from Latinamerica and hear racial slurs all game long, jokes about immigrant workers, and even about unaccompanied child migrants. That made me quite uncomfortable, and since then I've decided to be a U.S. fan from my living room only.

ZZMitch

Seriously. My interest in U.S. games have diminished tremendously the last few years. I'd go to games against teams from Latinamerica and hear racial slurs all game long, jokes about immigrant workers, and even about unaccompanied child migrants. That made me quite uncomfortable, and since then I've decided to be a U.S. fan from my living room only.

Its really a shame that issues like that are a thing in the American soccer community. You might not think it would be on first look because a lot of soccer fans here are immigrants/minorities but I guess the intense rivalry with Mexico and stuff doesn't help.I wish more people would take a look at the big picture and see that on a national scale we are a small group and it would be better to be a tight-knit community rather than alienating people by saying dumb shit!

Osorio

Its really a shame that issues like that are a thing in the American soccer community. You might not think it would be on first look because a lot of soccer fans here are immigrants/minorities but I guess the intense rivalry with Mexico and stuff doesn't help.I wish more people would take a look at the big picture and see that on a national scale we are a small group and it would be better to be a tight-knit community rather than alienating people by saying dumb shit!

I agree. I had the mentality that a U.S. supporter's group would be inherently more accepting than most countries. After all, it would be hard to find a more diverse squad anywhere in the world in terms of national backgrounds. It could've been an example to other countries, and the hatred they spew between each other ever so often. However, I've been to too many games where some AO dude made me want to support the other team.

There's also been awkward moments where I'm at a tailgate and someone says racist shit about Hispanics not aware that I am Hispanic. I'm not going to blame AO exclusively for this mentality but these experiences have correlated with their status as the prominent U.S. supporter's group.

xbhaskarx

I have never sat with or even near a supporters group before (it's just not my thing) so I've never witnessed any of that, fortunately...

Esch

Banned

Man that's awful, and I'm sorry you had to go through that. Unfortunately nationalism in sports, assholes, and racism go together like hot apple pie and ice cream.

The media and WC coverage here really likes to talk about the passion of the outlaws a lot but honestly at all the events I've gone to with them (for the WC and for certain things here) I was kinda floored at how little of a focus there was on the.... sport? Like, I like to get hammered and chant USA, but I also actually like watching soccer. Honestly it just feels like a lot of people there just kinda wanna get sauced and do some Captain America cosplay. And that's alright I guess. Just don't act like a fuckhead.

xbhaskarx

I was kinda floored at how little of a focus there was on the.... sport? Like, I like to get hammered and chant USA, but I also actually like watching soccer.

Yeah that's why it's never interested me, while I appreciate the atmosphere supporters groups create, I prefer to watch the actual soccer.

Mully

Yeah that's why it's never interested me, while I appreciate the atmosphere supporters groups create, I prefer to watch the actual soccer.

I tried the supporters section a few times when I was going to games alone last year.. It was a great experience, but they weren't really into watching what was going on, on field, except for the veterans.

I'm gonna try the supporters section for a full season before I make a conclusion.

xbhaskarx

WTF, has anyone heard about this?

headerlogo.png

New US Professional Soccer League Kicks Off!
FUSA is the nation's first Hispanic/Latino centric professional soccer league.

LAS VEGAS, March 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- FutbolUSA, Inc. announced today that it is launching a 32 team, two division, top-tier professional soccer league, with an inaugural season set to start in September of this year. FUSA will begin selling 16 Liga Primera (Division 1) and 16 Liga Nacional (Division 2) teams in 16 cities in Texas, California, and the Southwest. Over 700 players will be recruited at four regional combines/tryouts that will be held in June 2015.

FUSA will not be recruiting players directly from colleges, universities, or other professional leagues. FUSA will instead recruit players from the ranks of the hundreds of thousands of predominantly Hispanic and Latino amateur players that crowd soccer fields across the US each weekend.
FutbolUSA, Inc. has a 10 year plan to become the number one professional soccer platform in the US and to be one of the country's most valuable sports properties. "As FUSA grows over the next decade, we are looking at exponential valuation growth for our team owners," said Michael Mauriello, President of FutbolUSA, Inc. "The sports team comps are there, the brand is exceptional, the market is ripe, and the timing is perfect for FUSA team owners to create substantial financial value by combining their capital, their business skills, and their desire to win."

But their own website says five years...
www.futbolusa.com
FUSA is not a feeder league or a minor league of any existing US soccer leagues.

FUSA is a challenge to the current US soccer status quo.

FUSA will become USA’s premier professional soccer league within five years.

Good luck with alll that... is this league even sanctioned by US Soccer?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How the hell is it going to overtake MLS if it's that regional? It's literally only operating in the Southwest. I feel like the guy who thought this up passed by a Hispanic bar, saw everyone was watching a soccer game, and decided to do that. This is literally the dumbest shit.

Well, if nothing else the other US leagues can use it as a feeder league, to look for un-scouted talent, until it folds.

I think this is fantastic. This league has amazing potential from what I've read. The MLS relies on a "Pay to Play" system for the vast majority of its youth development and players who have been ruined by College Soccer. College Soccer is a bastardization of real soccer with unlimited substitutions, narrow fields, countdown clocks, condensed schedules, and inconsistent coaching. There's a reason the MLS still relies heavily on foreign players is because our grassroots system is an utter mess.

With FUSA, it's back to basics. Letting the real talent float to the top instead of just upper middle class families who can afford to send their kids to expensive youth clubs and universities. And let's be honest, US Soccer seriously lacks creativity. So focusing on the latin community where soccer is more ingrained in the community will only help push the quality of soccer forward in our country. And if this league works, it won't just be Hispanics/Latinos who benefit from this. It could be anyone, black, white, yellow, or blue who has the passion and talent to play soccer professionally, but not have the financial resources or connections to get through the current US Youth "pay to play" good ole' boy system. Obviously this league won't have the same clout and resources as the MLS at first, but once the fans see the quality of the play in FUSA, more and more fans will gravitate toward it and it could very well overtake the MLS in ten years.

Having said that, I'm joking. This league will be lucky to even survive 2-3 years from now, nevermind 5-10 years. I just wanted to play Devil's Advocate and see what kind of argument one of the league organizers could possibly make. There actually was some truth in what I said but I think the MLS will evolve over time to address some of the issues I have with the grassroots system. I'm actually really happy, especially after the recent TV deal, that the MLS looks to be a permanent sports fixture in America for at least the next 20-30 years and beyond. Any new (or existing) league that is formed should accept that success for them is being a feeder system for the MLS in some capacity, whether it's players, coaches, or franchises.

Osorio

I think this is fantastic. This league has amazing potential from what I've read. The MLS relies on a "Pay to Play" system for the vast majority of its youth development and players who have been ruined by College Soccer. College Soccer is a bastardization of real soccer with unlimited substitutions, narrow fields, countdown clocks, condensed schedules, and inconsistent coaching. There's a reason the MLS still relies heavily on foreign players is because our grassroots system is an utter mess.

With FUSA, it's back to basics. Letting the real talent float to the top instead of just upper middle class families who can afford to send their kids to expensive youth clubs and universities. And let's be honest, US Soccer seriously lacks creativity. So focusing on the latin community where soccer is more ingrained in the community will only help push the quality of soccer forward in our country. And if this league works, it won't just be Hispanics/Latinos who benefit from this. It could be anyone, black, white, yellow, or blue who has the passion and talent to play soccer professionally, but not have the financial resources or connections to get through the current US Youth "pay to play" good ole' boy system. Obviously this league won't have the same clout and resources as the MLS at first, but once the fans see the quality of the play in FUSA, more and more fans will gravitate toward it and it could very well overtake the MLS in ten years.

Having said that, I'm joking. This league will be lucky to even survive 2-3 years from now, nevermind 5-10 years. I just wanted to play Devil's Advocate and see what kind of argument one of the league organizers could possibly make. There actually was some truth in what I said but I think the MLS will evolve over time to address some of the issues I have with the grassroots system. I'm actually really happy, especially after the recent TV deal, that the MLS looks to be a permanent sports fixture in America for at least the next 20-30 years and beyond. Any new (or existing) league that is formed should accept that success for them is being a feeder system for the MLS in some capacity, whether it's players, coaches, or franchises.

The sense of community it can create would perhaps give it a boost over the other division 2 leagues. I know that in Cuba, the baseball league there only allows players to play for their home province and there is no trading. So when you go to games people are more interested in the team and the players because they are neighbors or they are somebody recognized in the neighborhood. A bottom-up system like that would be amazing in some communities across the U.S. After all, that's why I got so excited about MLS putting emphasis on the academies, but this is even more local.

Dartastic

it says available but nothing shows up.

edit: nevervmind, figured it out. The new layout had me lost for a while.
Edit: Nevermind, figured it out also. Haha.

My transfer box says this. I can't figure out how to transfer anyone. Arrrgh.

Transfers & Finance
Round transfers - 0
Total transfers - 0
Wildcard status - Available
Squad value - $120.2
In the bank - $0.0
View transfer history

Got my Gold Cup final tickets. 40 bucks per ticket, 15 dollar fees... lol. Upper level, close to midfield. Anything else was too rich for my blood.

Gillette is using their Revs layout for the Gold Cup group stage games. The funny part is, there are some sections, like the section in the corner next to AO, where the front row is $150 a pop, and then every single seat behind it is $30 :lol

Since I'm a STH and already paid my processing free, my tickets were $30 each with no extra fees :D

That weekend is going to be nuts, since Revs @ Red Bulls is the day after, and that's the game they're busing us up for.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out also. Haha.

My transfer box says this. I can't figure out how to transfer anyone. Arrrgh.

Transfers & Finance
Round transfers - 0
Total transfers - 0
Wildcard status - Available
Squad value - $120.2
In the bank - $0.0
View transfer history

My Team -> Transfer players

It used to be a hover menu so it's really annoying right now.

xbhaskarx

How the hell is it going to overtake MLS if it's that regional? It's literally only operating in the Southwest.

I wish them all the best as more soccer is always good... but forget about their ridiculous aspirations, I would be completely shocked if they even got off the ground and actually started their first season in September with 32 teams....

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...three-matches-including-early-april-encounter

The New York Red Bulls and Major League Soccer announced three changes to the 2015 schedule on Friday. New York's home games on Saturday April 4 against Montreal Impact, and Saturday July 25 against Colorado have been rescheduled, in the former case due to Montreal's CONCACAF Champions League commitments.

The Red Bulls game at Orlando City on Sunday, July 19 has also been moved.

All three matches will be televised by MSG and be available on MLS LIVE.

The April 4 match vs. Montreal has been rescheduled to Wednesday, October 7 at Red Bull Arena while the July 25 match vs. Colorado has been shifted to Wednesday, April 29 at Red Bull Arena. Kickoff time for the Montreal match on Oct. 7 and the Colorado match on April 29 is 7:30 pm ET.

"We want to support our fellow MLS member Montreal in moving our game as they continue play in the CONCACAF Champions League," said New York Red Bulls general manager Marc de Grandpre in a statement. "In moving the Colorado game to April, we have given ourselves flexibility within our schedule to potentially add international matches in July at Red Bull Arena."

The move will give Montreal a bye weekend ahead of the second leg of their CONCACAF Champions League semifinal on the road at Costa Rica's Alajuelense, with the decisive match set for Tuesday, April 7.

The Red Bulls will still make their first trip to Orlando to play expansion side Orlando City Soccer Club in July, but kickoff for the match has been moved from Sunday, July 19 to Saturday, July 18 at 7:30 pm ET.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...three-matches-including-early-april-encounter

The New York Red Bulls and Major League Soccer announced three changes to the 2015 schedule on Friday. New York's home games on Saturday April 4 against Montreal Impact, and Saturday July 25 against Colorado have been rescheduled, in the former case due to Montreal's CONCACAF Champions League commitments.

The Red Bulls game at Orlando City on Sunday, July 19 has also been moved.

All three matches will be televised by MSG and be available on MLS LIVE.

The April 4 match vs. Montreal has been rescheduled to Wednesday, October 7 at Red Bull Arena while the July 25 match vs. Colorado has been shifted to Wednesday, April 29 at Red Bull Arena. Kickoff time for the Montreal match on Oct. 7 and the Colorado match on April 29 is 7:30 pm ET.

"We want to support our fellow MLS member Montreal in moving our game as they continue play in the CONCACAF Champions League," said New York Red Bulls general manager Marc de Grandpre in a statement. "In moving the Colorado game to April, we have given ourselves flexibility within our schedule to potentially add international matches in July at Red Bull Arena."

The move will give Montreal a bye weekend ahead of the second leg of their CONCACAF Champions League semifinal on the road at Costa Rica's Alajuelense, with the decisive match set for Tuesday, April 7.

The Red Bulls will still make their first trip to Orlando to play expansion side Orlando City Soccer Club in July, but kickoff for the match has been moved from Sunday, July 19 to Saturday, July 18 at 7:30 pm ET.

Why the fuck are they scheduling more midweek games? Do they hate money?

Gillette is using their Revs layout for the Gold Cup group stage games. The funny part is, there are some sections, like the section in the corner next to AO, where the front row is $150 a pop, and then every single seat behind it is $30 :lol

Since I'm a STH and already paid my processing free, my tickets were $30 each with no extra fees :D

That weekend is going to be nuts, since Revs @ Red Bulls is the day after, and that's the game they're busing us up for.

So that's when everyone laughs at the very rich fool who pays 5x the cost to sit in the front row.

I wonder if they could reschedule the DC - Union game that's 2 hours before the final. It's in DC but I'd like to be able to see both if possible.

Cystm

lmao Deric. He was looking so good. He tried to tackle dude before he could score then threw him into the post after it was beyond saving.

Houston was really sloppy in the back leading up to that ridiculous goal. That singlehandedly ruined my fantasy team for this week :(

Stings even more that it was Ribeiro who my Union let go after a pretty decent rookie season

Was looking him up on Wiki and noticed he was with you guys last year. Sorry bro!

All good. Enjoy him, hes gritty, got good technical skill and can play any position up the middle from forward to centerback. He missed a bunch of sitters last year and hasnt learned how to use his size yet, but has some potential if he can put it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom