• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Cool photo from the reddit thread about that Youtube video. xbhaskarx holding it down versus the weird Cosmos nut on there.

4Precj1.jpg

If anyone is curious, the guy talking to Mix quite a bit at the end is Khaldoon al Mubarak, who is the Chairman of Manchester City. He always gives an interview at the end of the season outlining the past year.. very knowledgable guy. Here is the one from 2013/2014: http://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv/Interviews/2014/May/Khaldoon-Interview-I / https://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv/Interviews/2014/May/Khaldoon-Interview-II. I will say that any discussion about Sheikh Mansour from him is always a little bit propaganda-y, hah.

David Villa saved me in fantasy this week. Had a feeling he would get a goal and the added assist was great since I gave him the armband. Felt like overall my team did better last week
that call on Justin Morrow really destroyed my Saturday
but I grabbed enough points to reach the top of the mountain. Don't think I'll be there very long, I'm not too keen on my match ups for next week but we are building for a top five finish to the season, no one cares who's up week two. Full standings below.

Soar Vulture Soar

1 up KettleOfVultures
61 134
2 down Meier's Manic Mancs
58 133
3 up LanDawgDew
77 122
4 same nesotenso 11
53 114
5 up Petke's Sweaters II
65 113
6 up Bricksquad
70 111
7 up Bendik like Accam FC
56 110
8 down Judas Coyle Clarets
47 108
8 up Arsenal
55 108
10 down Termina FC
47 105
11 down Doop or Die!
51 105
12 down Teuton Raiders FC
58 104
13 down The Cannibal Club
34 102
14 down brek bae
48 100
14 down Monster Hunter FC
40 100
16 down AIP FC
49 97
17 down San Diego FC
40 95
18 up Team ZZ
52 92
19 same C.D. Brown Boys
44 90
20 down Forks SC
36 84
21 down Feeling Froggy FC
35 83
22 up Act FC
43 83
23 down Witty Team Name S.C.
38 81
24 down London Tea Drinkers
28 80
25 up Chicago Soccer Club
45 66
26 down Dark Templar FC
28 65

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I got screwed this week by that red card in the Toronto game, of course my captain doesn't score. Did 20 points worse this week than last and next week isn't looking so hot for me either.

xbhaskarx

MLS confirms “advanced discussions” with Minnesota on expansion, will evaluate going beyond 24 teams

The league confirmed on Monday afternoon that it is in “advanced discussions” with representatives from Minnesota United FC, though the final decision is not ready to be announced.

“We are in advanced discussions with Bill McGuire and his partners in Minnesota to bring a Major League Soccer expansion club to the Twin Cities and are particularly excited about their plans for a new soccer-specific stadium that will serve as the club’s home,” MLS Commissioner Don Garber said in a statement released by the club. “We remain on track to announce the next MLS expansion market in the next 30-45 days, though no specific date for an announcement has been set.”

MLS, which this year grew to 20 clubs with the addition of Orlando City SC and New York City FC, has previously stated its plan to expand to 24 clubs by 2020. Along with Miami, the next MLS expansion club would fulfill the original plan.

However, on Monday, Garber stated that the league will evaluate its expansion plans.

“Over the course of 2015, we plan to evaluate potential expansion beyond 24 clubs,” he said.

Meier

Hopefully Shay Facey starts the next game for NYC.. that has been a big blow for me. Switched Wingert out for him at the last minute and that hasn't gone as planned. These early round byes are not doing me much good. Had to ditch Frei as my backup keeper isn't playing.

The Seattle Sounders and their fans have built CenturyLink Field into a fortress, and it is one they will not be leaving any time soon.

The Sounders announced Monday that they have reached an agreement on a 10-year extension that will see them call the stadium home through the 2028 MLS season. Seattle have played at CenturyLink Field since arriving in MLS in 2009, sharing it with the NFL's Seattle Seahawks, and have enjoyed remarkable and enviable success at the gates. The club has been the best attended in MLS during each of its six seasons in the league and has an ongoing streak of 109 straight sellouts.

"Since the inception of our organization, CenturyLink Field has played a critical role in the growth, development and perception of our club, as has our partnership with the Seattle Seahawks and First & Goal Inc.," Sounders FC majority owner Joe Roth said in a statement. "CenturyLink Field is a premier facility that gives our players, fans and partners a first-class experience. For these reasons and more, we are pleased to call CenturyLink our long-term home, as Sounders FC continues to set the standard for our sport on and off the field."
• Get more Seattle Sounders news at SoundersFC.com

Despite playing in a stadium that is not soccer-specific, the Sounders have routinely increased their attendance figures. This season, CenturyLink Field has opened up an area in the 300 level to accomodate more fans. The seating capacity for MLS games is now 39,115 whereas in 2014 it was 38,300.

"CenturyLink Field has been home to many of our club's most important achievements, including last season's Supporters' Shield-clinching win and back-to-back Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup victories in 2010 and 2011," said Sounders FC owner Adrian Hanauer. "We are proud to call the venue home, and we look forward to many more milestones and victories in front of our passionate and loyal fans."

I thought part of the point of bringing Garth Lagerway in was to free up Adrian Hanauer to work on getting a soccer specific stadium for the Sounders. Must of heard that wrong or he just freed up his schedule. Disappointing.

I thought part of the point of bringing Garth Lagerway in was to free up Adrian Hanauer to work on getting a soccer specific stadium for the Sounders. Must of heard that wrong or he just freed up his schedule. Disappointing.

Remember when having a SSS was supposed to be a requirement for new teams?

And yet three teams play in baseball stadiums

Well I slid quite a bit in the rankings this week. Morales basically saved me from it being a disaster and I managed to squeak out 40 points.

Do we always get 1-2 free transfers per week? I'd like to make some adjustments to deal with the byes.

xbhaskarx

Two per round, plus you can play the wild card.

Not sure how much more faith I should have in Nemeth, Fagundez, or even Pedro Morales... none are producing like I hoped. But I kept all three for now and dumped Zimmerman (thought he would be starting) and Steindorsson...

I'm bad at this, mostly because I don't know players that well. Resisting using the wild card right now; at least it's still early that my team value hasn't tanked yet so I can make moves at even salary.

Also, Zelalem was just called up by the German U18s

Also, Zelalem was just called up by the German U18s

Ugh.

Germany U-18s call in USMNT target, Arsenal prospect Gedion Zelalem

Gedion Zelalem may very well wind up playing for the U.S. men's national team, but Germany isn't going down without a fight for the 18-year-old Arsenal midfielder's services.

Zelalem, the German-born USMNT target, was called in by Germany's under-18 men's national team on Tuesday for a pair of games against France later this month. Zelalem, who just obtained U.S. citizenship before turning 18, is not yet eligible to play for the U.S. as he awaits FIFA clearance over a rule that prevents naturalized citizens from automatically being cleared to play for their new nations. U.S. Soccer has filed for an exemption and is expecting FIFA to comply.

"We're going through the FIFA process and hope to have Gedion eligible by March or April," U.S. Soccer president and FIFA Executive Committee member Sunil Gulati told ESPNFC in January. "We don't expect any issues."

Zelalem, who could decline the Germany call-up–a year ago he declined a call-up to Germany's U-17 squad–has drawn high praise from U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann, who told reporters last week that he thinks Zelalem is ready to contribute for the U.S. senior team as soon as he is eligible to don the red, white and blue.

Zelalem played 89 minutes on Monday for Arsenal's U-21 team and is not on the traveling roster for the club's UEFA Champions League round-of-16 second leg in Monaco on Tuesday. The Gunners are in a 3-1 hole after dropping the first leg to the Ligue 1 side at the Emirates.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ugh.

Germany U-18s call in USMNT target, Arsenal prospect Gedion Zelalem

Well with any luck he won't go, plus he probably knows more about how the FIFA thing is moving along than we do. If he thinks he's going to get the clearance to play for us then I don't think he'd accept, he didn't before.

Meier

Kind of a random stat but good for them. Largely based on lots of people not having official stuff yet, but still encouraging:

NEW YORK | New York City FC celebrated its first-ever win in Major League Soccer (MLS) Sunday evening, defeating the New England Revolution 2-0 in their first home game at Yankee Stadium. They also made history off the field, as they posted the highest game day merchandise sales in MLS’ 20-year history.

The 43,507 crowd mobbed the Stadium’s 14 retail outlets from the moment the gates opened two hours before the game, until 90 minutes after the action had finished. The most popular item was a soccer fan favorite – the scarf. With eight different designs on sale, by the time the final whistle was blown, every single one of the 4,000 scarves in the stadium had sold out. Other favorites were replica jerseys, tees and beanie hats.

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/03/17/new-york-city-fc-historic-home-opener-makes-mls-retail-history

Well with any luck he won't go, plus he probably knows more about how the FIFA thing is moving along than we do. If he thinks he's going to get the clearance to play for us then I don't think he'd accept, he didn't before.

Yeah they are probably just trolling Klinsmann. I have no problem with that but the news still makes me nervous after Fagundez.

xbhaskarx

but the news still makes me nervous after Fagundez.

Not at all similar because Fagundez wouldn't have been eligible to play for the US for like 3-4 more years... his case was more like Andy Najar. Given how short and uncertain professional sports careers are, neither player's decision is really that surprising. The only players who are going to wait it out are those with crappy options like Darlington Nagbe (Liberia).

xbhaskarx

.@GrantWahl is about to break American soccer twitter, says Ronaldo is planning to come to MLS in 2018. Prefers NY, LA or Miami

is it happening . gif ?

xbhaskarx

Insider Notes: Klinsmann's fitness ask irks MLS clubs; Ronaldo to MLS in '18?

Ronaldo to MLS after Real Madrid?

File this one for down the road, but multiple sources tell me that Cristiano Ronaldo’s current plan is to come to MLS after he finishes at Real Madrid, with one source saying he would likely arrive on a free transfer in 2018 once his current contract ends.

Ronaldo would likely be coming off a World Cup and would be 33 years old, older than David Beckham (32) was when he came to MLS but younger than Frank Lampard (37) or Steven Gerrard (35) will be when they arrive this summer. Ronaldo’s main interest lies in cities you’d probably expect: Miami, Los Angeles and New York.

xbhaskarx

So i dont know if this is the right place to ask but what happened to football gaf thread?

It was decided that only the most relevant elite soccer leagues need to be discussed on GAF: MLS, NASL, USL... even NWSL. After all Ronaldo isn't going to Italy.

xbhaskarx

I know it's not American soccer, but there are major tournaments happening in the rest of the world, an exception should be made so we can talk about big soccer news like this:

Lowest-ranked national team in the world advances in World Cup qualifying

Bhutan is advancing.

The lowest ranked national team in world soccer, 209th, beat Sri Lanka 3-1 over two legs to advance to the second round of World Cup qualifying in Asia.

Bhutan, a Himalayan kingdom, had previously lost all 18 of its matches from 2009 to 2014 which included heavy defeats galore with a 20-0 loss to Kuwait in an Asian Cup qualifier the low point.

However, they beat Sri Lanka 2-1 at home to advance 3-1 on aggregate as they could now face Asian giants such as South Korea and Japan in the next round of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup in Russia. Remarkable.

In case you were wondering, Bhutan has a population of 753,000 and is wedged in-between India, Nepal and China.

Other nations to make the second round of qualifying, which entails 40 teams split into eight groups of five nations, were India, East Timor, Cambodia and Taiwan.

There’s no doubt that Bhutan’s escapades will be followed by many around the globe as the minnows will give hope to several other soccer nations aiming to make their mark.

It's like The Cup + Next Goal Wins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom